deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

According to a new poll by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, 18% of Americans believe that Barack Obama is a Muslim, a jump of 7% from the same poll taken 17 months earlier. This poll was taken before President Obama's recent public support of the Islamic community center being built two blocks from Ground Zero.

Barack Obama

I was wondering what members of the Atheism Union on this board think about these numbers and if these people are either right on the money or ignorant. I personally believe that Barack Obama is a skeptical Christian, in that he claims to believe in Christianity, but he's skeptical of many of its claims, such as the Book of Genesis which a literal interpretation is essential to be a Christian since Jesus's sacrifice would be meaningless if there was no original sin to save mankind from. In fact, I can't think of one thing he's said that can be considered supportive of Christianity. I haven't seen much of his comments on Islam that can't be accounted for his cultural relativism in that all culture has its strengths and weakness and not one is superior to theo ther, but I wouldn't call him a practicing Christian. I think a better description is to call him a Christian of the Oprah brand. It should be noted that he doesn't believe Jesus is the only way to salvation, which is essential in Christianity.

For the record, he's claimed to be a Christian and he was sworn in on the Lincoln Bible, but the test of a man is not who he says he is in the public spotlight to gain popularity, but how he acts around a close circle of friends. I suspect Obama's hiding something. He's never been upfront about his beliefs. Even when he says something, he'll say something that will contradict it or that is logically incoherent even if he doesn't realize it.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

If he does subscribe to Oprah's version of Christianity, then all the more better, considering that it is much better than your standard Southern Baptist version of Christianity. :P

I have no idea what Obama's actual religious beliefs are if in fact they are not what he has publicly said they are, and frankly I don't really think that's my business if he doesn't want to be public about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I have no idea what Obama's actual religious beliefs are if in fact they are not what he has publicly said they are, and frankly I don't really think that's my business if he doesn't want to be public about it.

GabuEx

It is ultimately his choice. He is sworn to protect the Constition, nothing more. If he doesn't want to tell what his religion is, then so be it. No religious test is required for him to be President. However, religion does matter whether he fesses up to it or not. What a religion teaches can determine how someone will serve the country.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16028 Posts
The public is skeptical because Obama almost never brings up his faith (unless he's asked about it). I think he was a christian for a long time, but is now having doubts about the dogma. It makes no difference to me where his religious beliefs are at.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I don't care about his religious beliefs.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#7 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I think it is very well possible that he is actually an atheist. A person obviously cant become president of america if they publicly declare themselves as atheist due to the huge number of people with negative perceptions of atheists in america. So all we know he might just be playing it intelligently?

I mean isnt it the case that his grandparents were muslim, parents were atheists and he is somehow chrsitian? See it doesnt fit.:?

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I think it is very well possible that he is actually an atheist. A person obviously cant become president of america if they publicly declare themselves as atheist due to the huge number of people with negative perceptions of atheists in america. So all we know he might just be playing it intelligently?

I mean isnt it the case that his grandparents were muslim, parents were atheists and he is somehow chrsitian? See it doesnt fit.:?

Gambler_3

I got that feeling too, when the elections were on. I thought he seemed not particularly religious, but then aligned himself towards Christianity for the votes.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#9 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
He doesn't seem like a very religious person to me.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I don't care about his religious beliefs. ghoklebutter

You care enough for at least 43 clicks and key-presses!

Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]I don't care about his religious beliefs. RationalAtheist

You care enough for at least 43 clicks and key-presses!

And you cared enough about him not caring to count every single keystroke... :P

Now for me. I was going to say basically the same as that message, but after that reply I should clarify in advance. It's not that I don't care what he believes as much as I don't think it really matters to how he caries out the presidency. Nothing he has done thus far shows a significant sort of religious bias, and his job is to simply uphold the constitution's standards.

Whatever he is, I don't think he's a strong and fully practicing version of it. Maybe a doubter.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

I voted to make the poll even.

Also, the POTUS doesn't seem to let religion influence his decisions (at least overtly) so I don't care what his religion is.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Don't care, don't care.
fat_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fat_rob
Member since 2003 • 22624 Posts
Another man's religion is none of my business unless he makes it my business. Obeezy hasn't done so yet.
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

Frankly a politicians faith means very little to me. The only time I take issue is if they attempt to impose their faith or beliefs through legislation or insist they're on some sort of divine mission.

On the issue of Obama's faith, if he indeed was Muslim I wouldn't really care. Their is no requirement stating that you have to be a Christian to be POTUS.