domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

According to a recent pew survey. You can take a condensed version of the test here to see how you do or you can just read the full report here.

It's one of the more unsettling things about religion, the fact that its adherents sometimes don't know much about it and yet have complete faith in it. Many of my friends will tell me that they believe in every word of the Bible, yet upon close questioning I learn that they haven't actually read it. How on earth do you do that? I can't even fathom how it's possible.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

According to a recent pew survey. You can take a condensed version of the test here to see how you do or you can just read the full report here.

It's one of the more unsettling things about religion, the fact that its adherents sometimes don't know much about it and yet have complete faith in it. Many of my friends will tell me that they believe in every word of the Bible, yet upon close questioning I learn that they haven't actually read it. How on earth do you do that? I can't even fathom how it's possible.

domatron23

I got one wrong and it'll be the last time I ever vote for Billy Graham!

It seems fairly natural for religious types to ignore the other faiths around them at best. At worst, there is expressed hatred and threatened destruction to those other faith groups.  Aren't those sort of rules necessary for a successful church?

Also, on a personal note, I'm (perhaps too) deeply interested in the paradox that religion presents to society. I don't think I could have become as involved with my own beliefs had it not been for studying the faiths. I didn't think other agnostics and atheists would know about the variety of other faiths though.

The Bible, like the Quran, is not readily accessible for mass-consumption as-is. It isn't surprising to find most Christians would not have read the bible from cover to cover. Were it not for the religions' focus on absolute inerrancy from these books, I believe they'd have been more radically revised, cut, re-constituted, edited, embellished and polished to present something far more accessible and applicable to the potential faithful. Thank science they haven't!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not surprising in the slightest. Aside from the small handful of people out there, most of the "religious" types I run across barely know anything about any religion, even their own, and tend to have loads of misconceptions about a lot of things and tend to have a lot of predisposed misinterpretations about their own religious beliefs.

I also do find it disconcerting that many people who do, like you mentioned, have absolute faith in the infailibilty of the Bible, yet have barely read it. That is what I would call the biggest kind of religious hypocrite; one who appeals mostly to the community and traditions most likely solely for the "I'll just do this to be safe" angle, and not to their own understanding of it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I'm not surprised as well because my experience has been that people who identify as atheists and agnostics have studied religion before and are willing to understand not just parts of Christianity but world religions as well. I took the quiz and only got one wrong: I thought Catholics believed that communion was a figurative act of eating Jesus's bready and body.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
As someone who is not an atheist, I'm not surprised. The aformentioned people tend to scrutinize religious teachings more, since religious people usually do not to question a word in their scriptures.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Beyond that fact, I also find a couple others in it eyebrow-raising:

20% of white evangelical protestants don't know who Moses is.

33% of white evangelical protestants don't know what the Ten Commandments are.

41% of white catholics don't know the Church's teachings on communion.

7% of Mormons don't know who Joseph Smith is.

I mean, these seem like awfully basic facts... 

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#7 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I got 5 wrong.

Did not know when sabbath begins

Did not know who job is

Did not know who joseph smith is

Got one of the US rulings question wrong

And got the last one wrong.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

And now you know one of the reasons I am passionate about teaching.  Most churches in the United States preach only a surface level Christianity that has no true substance, and the concept of a church teaching about other faiths is extremely rare.

As far as the questions, I got them all right.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16017 Posts

And now you know one of the reasons I am passionate about teaching. Most churches in the United States preach only a surface level Christianity that has no true substance, and the concept of a church teaching about other faiths is extremely rare.

mindstorm

You mean you don't want your best life now? :o

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

And now you know one of the reasons I am passionate about teaching.  Most churches in the United States preach only a surface level Christianity that has no true substance, and the concept of a church teaching about other faiths is extremely rare.

mindstorm

Teaching about other faiths?  I'm interested to know what you mean there. 

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

You mean you don't want your best life now? :o

dracula_16

Meh, how about "Your Christ-Glorifying Life Now"? :P

Teaching about other faiths?  I'm interested to know what you mean there. 

GabuEx

To give you an idea, rather than having burnings of the Qur'an, why not teach the text to the people so that they might better be able to share Christ with Muslims?  If a Jehovah's Witness comes to your door, what are you supposed to say to them?  I think the church should know not only what Scripture teaches about Jesus but what other beliefs teach about Jesus.