Dr_AlanGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dr_AlanGrant
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts

"The ads sponsored by the Iowa Atheists & Freethinkers group read, "Don't believe in God? You are not alone." They created a storm of controversy when they first went up on Saturday.

DART's advertising director, Kirsten Baer-Harding, said Wednesday that the agency's board never approved the signs and that they were put up by mistake. But the president of the atheist group said Baer-Harding had told him the signs had been approved.

DART said it started to receive complaints the minute the ads went on the buses.

Baer-Harding said they were removed on Tuesday."

Link

Here is what the Governor had to say about it:

"I was disturbed, personally, by the advertisement and I can understand why other Iowans were also disturbed by the message that it sent," Culver said." (link)

Here is the ad: 

Seriously?

I really don't know what to say. How in the hell could this be "disturbing" or "offensive"? I'm sure they plan on taking down every ad that disturbs or offends anyone. 

What are your thoughts on this?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

I really don't know what to say. How in the hell could this be "disturbing" or "offensive"? I'm sure they plan on taking down every ad that disturbs or offends anyone. 

What are your thoughts on this?

Dr_AlanGrant
I can see how an ad that says "There is no God. The Bible is a lie." is offensive. But that ad asked a question and that is pretty much it. I'm not even sure what the offensive message is supposed to be... it says that if you don't believe in God, there are others like you. That's good, right? Humans are pack animals. We need to be with our own kind. But then, I have a strong enough faith that it doesn't need the support of every stranger around me. ;) ((Removed venting about Gamespot glitches to avoid thread hi-jack. Sorry about that))
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

Meanwhile this disgusting bile is allowed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miULdI-qocg

I don't know wtf this ad is about but it's ****** up as hell

Here's the billboard version:

Or how about this:

100% fabricated quote, lying for Jesus apparently doesn't count.

This demonstrates exactly what that ad was trying to say, this was the most innocuous one yet and it seems as though they are getting offended by the mere fact that someone's telling them atheists exist, disgusting, I'd hate to be an atheist in America :(

"I was disturbed, personally, by the advertisement and I can understand why other Iowans were also disturbed by the message that it sent,"

What ****** message it sent? That we exist? FFS

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

wtf?  The sign basically says "atheists exist".  Are you seriously telling me that people are disturbed by the suggestion that atheists do in fact exist?

...don't answer that.

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts
During my spring college tour I stayed in San Francisco. While I was there, I saw several signs that basically said "JOIN ISLAM, THE ONE TRUE FAITH! IT'S THE GREATEST THING SINCE BREASTS." Granted, San Francisco isn't really comparable tolerance-wise to an Iowan city, but why is it that a religion that many almost-immediately associate with AK-47s and hijacked planes is less of an issue than people not believing in any god? The atheists weren't even encouraging people to give up or change their beliefs.
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

Meanwhile this disgusting bile is allowed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miULdI-qocg

I don't know wtf this ad is about but it's ****** up as hell

bean-with-bacon

Also, if you don't believe in God, you're incapable of human emotion. The list can go on and on.

I'd hate to be an atheist in America :(

bean-with-bacon

In defense of my countrymen and women, it's not really like that on the coasts. The craziness is mostly in the middle and the friggin' South.

"I was disturbed, personally, by the advertisement and I can understand why other Iowans were also disturbed by the message that it sent,"

What ****** message it sent? That we exist? FFS

bean-with-bacon

I think the "Atheist? You're not the only one!" message carries the implication that it's okay to not believe in God, and we certainly can't have people thinking that!

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

What if instead of a sign acknowledging the existence of atheists they had a sign that acknowledged the existence of say.... coprophiliacs.

"Do faeces give you sexual pleasure? You are not alone"

"Iowa coprophiliacs and scatologists: IOWACOPROPHILIACS.org"

Surely we would agree that an ad like that would be disturbing and not fit for public display yet it is structurally identical to the advert about atheists. The issue isn't that it's acknowledging the mere existence of something it's just that that something is repugnant.

But that brings us to the unsettling point that atheists are percieved as inherently repugnant in Iowa. Is this justified? Well it's hardly true that by the very nature of being an atheist you become revolting but why might someone think this way? Well they might believe that by being atheistic you lack morality (as beanwithbacon poins out nicely with her counter billboards) or they might believe that atheism robs people of their eternal salvation which if you're a genuine believer could be very significant.

These concerns aside though those ads didn't deserve to be removed. I'm pretty sure you're meant to freely choose to worship God not just to be stuck unwillingly because you didn't know that there was an alternative.

Btw there is no such url as iowacoprophiliacs.com I just made that up.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChiliDragon

But that brings us to the unsettling point that atheists are percieved as inherently repugnant in Iowa. Is this justified? Well it's hardly true that by the very nature of being an atheist you become revolting but why might someone think this way? Well they might believe that by being atheistic you lack morality (as beanwithbacon poins out nicely with her counter billboards) or they might believe that atheism robs people of their eternal salvation which if you're a genuine believer could be very significant.

domatron23
Replace the word "atheist" with "homosexual", and you have created a situation that is no longer specific to Iowa... I think, as I've said before in discussions on that subject gay vs straight that the problem isn't that it's atheism. The problem is that it's open non-conformism that refuses to hide what it is. Gays, atheists, goths, single parents, what have you... as humans we are frightened by what we think is abnormal and drastically different. An ad like the one in the OP states very blatantly that not only am I not ashamed of being drastically different and refusing to hide it, I absolute refuse to change it. And in the human subconscious, that makes you a threat to the mainstream ideas and the ones who follow them, and next thing you know, the ad is gone.
These concerns aside though those ads didn't deserve to be removed. I'm pretty sure you're meant to freely choose to worship God not just to be stuck unwillingly because you didn't know that there was an alternative.domatron
There are some Christian schools of thought who argue that is the reason the reason there was a forbidden tree with forbidden fruit in the story about the garden of Eden; to provide an alternative. ;)
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Well I'm not happy about this at all.  If one was to make an Atheist advertisement I'd have to say that's the most benign one I could think of. 
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

wtf?  The sign basically says "atheists exist".  Are you seriously telling me that people are disturbed by the suggestion that atheists do in fact exist?

...don't answer that.

GabuEx

Maybe there are people who simply do not believe that atheists exist...they should be called "anatheists".   

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
Brrrr, I am so distuuuuurbed!!!!!!
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

as humans we are frightened by what we think is abnormal and drastically different. ChiliDragon
Pretty much...

All I have to say is that this is the stupid censorship covered up with idiotic responses from the authorities of supposed disturbance caused by the ads.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
What if someone looks at that, and says 'Yes'? The statement still holds true :P
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts
this really bothers me, seeing those ads against atheism allowed yet simply acknowledging that we exist is disturbing?
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

:?  It's not even making any claims against religion.  All its says is that there people who don't believe in a God.  And that you can find said people on the link provided.  

And I just love how no one finds it disturbing when Bible passages are strewn about billboards.   

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

:?  It's not even making any claims against religion.  All its says is that there people who don't believe in a God.  And that you can find said people on the link provided.  

And I just love how no one finds it disturbing when Bible passages are strewn about billboards.   

Dark_Knight6

You know what's funny? If they put a christian link at the bottom it could just as easily be interpreted at pro christianity :lol:

Anyway The ads got put back up, so that's a win for us.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2044-Atheism-Examiner~y2009m8d7-Iowa-atheist-ads-will-be-restored-to-buses

Governor Culver, the members of IAF are your constituents just as much as any Iowa member of a Christian church or any other religious group. We are also citizens of this state and this country and, therefore, entitled to the same constitutional rights to free speech no matter what religion we belong or don't belong to.

As our highest-ranking elected official, you don't have to agree with all your constituents or like the message that we chose to sponsor. However, we expect our governor to set an example of respect for diversity and tolerance of others' beliefs and ideas in this state.

We are disappointed that you chose to take sides in a free speech issue, offended by your choice of words regarding our bus ads, and also frustrated that you ignored an opportunity as the senior representative of Iowans to ask your constituents to open a dialogue with each, instead we believe you chose to be divisive and deliberately offensive to nontheists and those who believe in free speech for all people.

Rofl.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts
Lol, wow hard to believe that could be considered offensive. It's good to see they came to their senses and allowed the ad to be put back up.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
That's cool that it got put back up.
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

I'd hate to be an atheist in America :(

bean-with-bacon

In defense of my countrymen and women, it's not really like that on the coasts. The craziness is mostly in the middle and the friggin' South.

I live in the middle of the friggin' south, and am Atheist/Agnostic. Most everyone I go to school with knows, and I get some strange reactions, but no hate. Then again, I go to a high end public school.

Seriously, there are alot of misconceptions about how Christian the U.S. is.

I think the "Atheist? You're not the only one!" message carries the implication that it's okay to not believe in God, and we certainly can't have people thinking that!

It doesn't carry the implication that it is okay, it just tells you that there are people like you.

It is the same as "Abused Child? You're not the only one." :)

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 itsTolkien_time

Dang it, my false quote boxes didn't work.

I accidentally deleted the originals.

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 itsTolkien_time

I live in the middle of the friggin' south, and am Atheist/Agnostic. Most everyone I go to school with knows, and I get some strange reactions, but no hate. Then again, I go to a high end public school.

Seriously, there are alot of misconceptions about how Christian the U.S. is.

It (the ad) doesn't carry the implication that it is okay, it just tells you that there are people like you.

It is the same as "Abused Child? You're not the only one." :)

This is what I said.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts
I'm glad that the ads were able to continue running.  This is, after-all, America. 
Dr_AlanGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dr_AlanGrant
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts
I'm glad they put the ads back up. I'm still amazed something like this happened...
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiliDragon
I'm glad they put the ads back up. I'm still amazed something like this happened...Dr_AlanGrant
What's amazing is that whether someone is personlly upset or not was allowed to govern free speech...
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 itsTolkien_time

^this

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the ads got put back up. Yet again the ACLU saves the day.