deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

There are tons of flaws of this story from a theist perspective, but bear with it and you should find it to be an insightful read:

The line seemed to stretch back forever. Hundreds of millions of souls, waiting patiently for their turn before the throne. The date... Well, the day is Judgment Day, so you won't find it on any calendar. The queue of people winds its way down the mountain, through the valley and off into the far distance. Everybody in the queue can see the final destination at the mountain peak. A hundred miles away, they can see it perfectly clearly. And they wait, moving forward a couple of steps at a time. Towards God, and the Decision.

At the head of the we find a young Christian, wearing an expression of awe and joy. Behind him, an atheist, looking slightly astonished, examining a leaf she has picked from a nearby bush, trying to decide if it is real or not. Heaven, she thinks, should be whiter, with more dry ice swirling about; not look like a Welsh hillside on a hot day.

The Christian steps forward for judgment.

"Hello Martin". God's voice is calm and gentle as He speaks.

"Erm.. Hello. Lord". Martin's voice is nervous, as a dozen emotions fight for room in his mind at once.

"This is it. This is where I decide what shall happen to you, Martin. In life, you were a Christian". It was a statement, not a question.

"I was, Lord. I still am. I have been all my life. I have dedicated myself to your service."

"Tell me, Martin. Why were you a Christian? Why did you believe in me?"

"Why? Well... Because you are God! I've always believed in you."

"That is not what I want to know. Why did you believe?"

"Because I knew it was true. You were always there for me. You helped me through the bad times. You answered my prayers. You gave me the strength and courage to get through life. I could feel your presence with me all the time."

"No."

"Pardon, Lord?"

"I said no, Martin. I have never helped you. You seemed to be doing perfectly alright by yourself. I heard your prayers, but never answered a single one. Your belief in me definitely helped you on occasion, but I have never intervened in your life. Certainly, you gave me credit for all the good times, but they were your own doing, not mine. You did not feel my presence, because it cannot be felt. The only actual proof you have that I exist at all is here and now. Again, tell me why you believed."

"I.. I had faith, Lord. Since I was a child I have been to church, prayed and sang every Sunday. My faith in you never wavered. Even when my mother died, I had faith that it was your will, that it was a blessing from you that she passed peacefully. I was raised to believe in you, and as I grew I read the Bible for myself, and learnt of your miracles, and all the saints and martyrs, and the good done in your name. I read the works of great philosophers and they merely strengthened my faith. I knew it was true. "

"No, Martin. Your mother died of natural causes, and she died peacefully because of the actions of the hospital. I watched and saw, but that is all. As for the rest - the saints, martyrs and philosophers had similar reasons for their belief in me, just as dictators and murderers have had. People have done great good and great harm in my name, and in the names of a thousand false gods. The Bible was written about me, not by me, and was written by people who had similar reasons as you for their belief, just as a thousand other Holy Books have been written about the false gods, or different versions of myself. I ask for the third and final time. Why did you believe in me?"

Martin looked shocked and ashen, but pulled himself together. His Lord was testing him, and he had lived his entire life for this moment.

"I believed because I could feel in my heart it was true. You sent your son to die for us, and I gladly accepted Him as my saviour. I.. I just knew it was true, and now that I see you, my faith has been vindicated. I no longer need to believe - I can see for myself the truth and majesty of my religion."

Quietly, God spoke again. "Martin, you have impressed me". He paused.

"But... not enough. You believe because you were taught to believe. You believe because you mistakenly attribute to me anything positive that has happened in your life, and discount anything negative. You believe because it is comforting to believe, and because you are frightened of the consequences of my not existing. You believe because... you believe. I'm sorry, Martin, but there is no place for you here."

God gestured briefly with his fingers, and Martin vanished. His shadow lingered where he had stood, fading rapidly to nothingness.

The atheist, somewhat shaken by what she had just seen, stepped forward.

"Hello Eve. I like that name."

"Ah. Hello, God. Thanks", said Eve, not entirely sure how to address a being she had, until now, considered fictional.

"Yes, you may call me God. Eve, in life you were an atheist. You doubted my existence, even objecting to the very concept". Again, a statement, not a question.

"Yes, I did. Clearly, I was mistaken."

"Clearly. Tell me, are you still an atheist?"

"I suppose not. I'm not a Christian, Jew or anything else. I guess I'd have to be called an involuntary theist. Ah ha ha", Eve laughed nervously, hoping the very real and solid-looking deity before her had a good sense of humour.

"Mmm... Tell me, Eve. Why did you not believe in me?". God's voice was kind and gentle once more.

"At one point I did. I was raised as a Christian, and often went to church, and prayed every night before bed. When I was feeling down I would read the Bible. The act of reading it seemed to comfort me, even though the words themselves didn't seem much help. I think, like Martin, I believed because I believed."

"And then you lost your faith? You decided I did not exist, and you knew better than those around you? You knew better than your pastor and family?" The voice was losing its kindly edge a little.

"That is one way of looking at it, yes. What I believed did not seem to fit with other things I knew. The Bible clearly could not be literally true, word for word. I knew from biology and paleontology that humans had evolved like all other life, and were not special creations. How life or the universe began, I still don't know, but could not just merely accept 'God did it' as an explanation. I learned about other religions, and how they all claimed a monopoly on truth, happiness and morality. I saw the good done in your name, but I also saw the oppression, genocide and wars. I saw that if people were in need, it was up to us to deal with it, not to rely on heavenly aid.". Eve felt a little braver, but was expecting the traditional thunderbolt any moment. The people behind her, now at the head of the queue, were slowly moving backwards, trying not to draw attention to themselves.

"Yet here you are, before your God, on the final Day of Judgment. Why should I allow you in - a heretic, a disbeliever, an infidel - when your predecessor, devout and faithful, full of love for me, was consigned to Oblivion? Tell me why. Justify your entry to my Paradise."

Eve straightened up, looking God in the face. "Why should you let me in? Because I am better person than you."

If Eve had looked round, she would have seen the entire line of souls, perfectly still and wide-eyed, staring at her in shock.

"What did you say?", enquired God. His voice, though barely audible, caused tremors in the mountain.

Surprised at still being alive, her mouth dry, Eve continued. "I said, because I am a better person. You have shown it yourself already. You told Martin that you watched as his mother became ill and died. You destroyed him for believing for no good reason, when his whole life had been shaped by that belief. Your preachers on Earth encourage unquestioning faith, yet you do not tell us whether that is what you want. You give people no rational basis for belief, and then when they make up their own that is not good enough for you. You listen to our prayers, yet do not answer, leaving people to rationalise events for themselves. People kill and slaughter over trivial differences in doctrine, and you look on. In the churches and temples raised in your glory, children are mentally and physically abused - in your so-called House! All over the world, throughout history, people have murdered each other for believing the wrong thing about God, for believing in the wrong God, or for not believing in any God. The poorest and most helpless people are relentlessly targeted, being told to give what little they have now, for the promise of eternal bliss later. When a person is at his lowest ebb, that is when the smiling missionaries appear, knowing that his life will probably get better naturally and they can give you the credit. In your name, the ends justify the means as long as souls are saved". Eve paused for breath, and continued.

"And you? All-powerful, all-loving, all-knowing? You just sit here and you watch it all... Any person in this line, had they your power, would show greater compassion and morality. You may be God, but you are far from Godliness."

God smiled. "Are you finished? Good. Eve, you have impressed me". He paused. Eve held her breath, shoulders tensing.

"You have impressed me a great deal. You may have believed in me for all the wrong reasons, but you disbelieved for the right reasons. You led a good life, and used the intelligence I give to everybody in the correct way. Even though you came to a conclusion about me that was hopelessly wrong, you came to it in a way that cannot be faulted. You may pass into paradise, Eve, with my blessing."

Eve did not step forward. Instead, she spoke once more. "No, I will not".

"No? You refuse Heaven? You defy my will?" The smile had left God's face again.

"Do you think I would want to spend one more minute, let alone eternity, in your company? You allow people to suffer, sometimes for their entire lives, for no purpose, and then judge them on their reaction. You hide yourself from the world and allow your creations to persecute each other over differing interpretations of the lack of evidence. You see all the pain and ignorance caused in your name, and just sit there as this queue grows daily? And then you have the audacity to punish good people for believing in you 'for the wrong reasons'?"

"Eve. Enough of this. The gates to Paradise are open to you. Be silent now, and enter."

"No. If it is a choice between oblivion and an eternity with a monster like you, I gladly choose oblivion. I ask only one thing, before you destroy me."

"And what is that?" asked God, getting impatient.

"That, if you can, you look me in the eyes as you do it." 

Taken from here. 

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Not bad. Not bad at all. I like the writing but the whole "argument from evil" thing puts me off.

All the same, very very nice.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I like the first three-quarters; the last quarter, not as much. :P God as a character in the story seems a little strange: completely wise until Eve refuses to go into paradise, at which point he does a complete 180.

I also object to God just making Martin vanish... but that's a theological criticism.

I might write a revised ending more in line with my views on this matter later for fun... can't let the "God, if he exists, is a monster" view be the only one with representation. ;)

Stryder1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stryder1212
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

A tastefully-written (and simple) gaze into the classic Problem of Evil arguement. Makes you think.. Doesn't it?

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

Quite a good story indeed. Though he wasn't as liberal in his admission as it'd be nice to think the real god (if (s)he exists)would be, it's nice to hear a different story than "accept this or burn for eternity." Maybe I'm just reading a bit too much OT and APUS (which will finally be over this Friday!). The "geneally a good person" view is probably more common among theists, but the fundamentalist view is just more outspoken.

Quick question though. Why exactly is the argument from evil a flawed one? I mean, I can understand the whole free will thing (well, for the most part, anyway), but at the risk of sounding cliche' (pretend that's an accent), if there were a truly just god intervening, wouldn't he at the very least have done something to change the minds of anti-Semetic American officials during the 1940s? Maybe help the real-life plot of Valkyerie succeed? I mean, just one B-17 payload would have been much better spent attacking Holocaust railways than massacring Dresden.

EDIT: Read (most of) Gabu's revision. Answered that nicely.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GabuEx

Okay, here's my "revised ending", so to speak.  It diverges near to the end of the original; I'll include some lines from the original verbatim for context.

------------

God smiled. "Are you finished? Good. Eve, you have impressed me." He paused. Eve held her breath, shoulders tensing.

"You have impressed me a great deal. You may have believed in me for all the wrong reasons, but you disbelieved for the right reasons. You led a good life, and used the intelligence I give to everybody in the correct way. Even though you came to a conclusion about me that was hopelessly wrong, you came to it in a way that cannot be faulted. You may pass into paradise, Eve, with my blessing."

Eve did not step forward. Instead, she spoke once more. "No, I will not".

"No? You refuse Heaven?" The smile had left God's face again.

"Do you think I would want to spend one more minute, let alone eternity, in your company? You allow people to suffer, sometimes for their entire lives, for no purpose, and then judge them on their reaction. You hide yourself from the world and allow your creations to persecute each other over differing interpretations of the lack of evidence. You see all the pain and ignorance caused in your name, and just sit there as this queue grows daily? And then you have the audacity to punish good people for believing in you 'for the wrong reasons'?"

"Eve, the gates of Paradise are open to you.  You don't want it?"

"No. If it is a choice between oblivion and an eternity with a monster like you, I gladly choose oblivion."

God was silent for a moment, before speaking once more.

"A monster?  You think that I am a monster?"

Eve closed her eyes, expecting to disappear like Martin at any moment.  She swallowed, and replied.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I already told you why.  People suffer - often terminally - and you do nothing.  People die, and you do nothing.  Dictators massacre their countries' populations, and you do nothing.  Did they ask to live in pain?  No, you thrust them into life, and yet you then do nothing when things go wrong.  And Martin - did he ask to be born into a place where he would not gain the ability to question his beliefs?  Of course not - yet he is now gone, and all because you didn't tell him the truth.  How could you let this happen?  Huh?"

God smiled faintly.

"First, I didn't destroy Martin.  I've simply... given him time to think about things."  He shook his head slightly.  "But yes, you're right.  Nobody asks for what they receive in life.  And no, I don't do anything about it."

"Why?"

"Tell me, Eve: if life were simply a movie, in which every player has their parts neatly written by me, and in which no one can stray from the script one inch, would this be preferable to the way things are?"

"But you could fix things!  You could stop dictators!  And you don't!  Why?"

"Why do you think the world has laws that don't change?"

'I..." Eve shook her head.  "What does that have to do with anything!?"

God ignored her question.

"The answer to that question is because, if I were constantly intervening in your lives, you would effectively be little more than puppets dancing on a string.  Sure, I could stop dictators from doing the horrible things they do.  But ought I then to also stop murders in general?  Surely, a murder is no less a concern and a tragedy if it comes as a singleton than if it comes in large numbers, no?"

Eve fell silent.

"And, if I were to stop murders, then ought I not also stop thieves, vandals, arsonists - tell me, where is the cutoff point?  At what point does the negative effects of an act become small enough that I ought to let it happen?  And if there is no cutoff, then what is the point of life, if everything is perfect, and if nothing goes wrong?"

"We would be happy.  Right?  Why must there be suffering, when you could make there be happiness?"

God shook his head.

"Do you know why Martin never questioned his belief in me?  Because he was sheltered.  Ironically enough, the very reason why he became the way he is today was precisely because nothing truly terrible ever happened to him - precisely what you are asking me to do for the entire world.  If a parent gave her child everything that child ever asked for, would that child be happy?  No.  He would simply come to accept whatever the way things are as given, and would only ask for more, and more, and more, as he became increasingly complacent in what he already had."

God smiled.

"Do you know what the word 'appreciate' means?  It comes from the Latin word for 'appraised', past tense - and to appraise something is to determine its value.  Thus, to appreciate something is to fully understand its value.  So, how, then, can one determine the value of something?  Certainly one can put a monetary price on something.  But that does not say anything about how any given human values it."

He nodded.

"But there is a very easy way to determine just what something means to you: to experience its lack.  If you do not have something, the benefit it brings to you becomes readily apparent when you want it and find it missing.  The only way you can truly value your health is to be sick, and then recognize the change when you become well again.  The only way you can truly value a loved one is to be away from that loved one and recognize the hole that is left from his or her absence.  People do not derive happiness from things themselves - people derive happiness from the value they realize those things bring to their lives.  You say that I do nothing to prevent people from suffering, but it is precisely that suffering that makes them whole people who can truly speak with wisdom and insight."

"But what of the people who never get better?" protested Eve.  "What about the terminal cancer patients?  What about the children in Africa who never know a day of happiness from birth to death?"

God shook his head.

"And, again, we are back to the laws of nature.  I have already told you why I cannot intervene.  And it is unfortunate that some incur suffering that does not cease until they die.  But, rest assured - that suffering most certainly does end, as all suffering eventually does, whether in life or through death.  'This, too, will pass.'"

"I..."

"Eve, do you know how easy it would be to have a world without happiness?  Without love?  Without light?  'Darkness' does not exist as something unto itself; it is the default, the state in which no light exists.  Similarly, unhappiness, too, is the default, the state in which no happiness exists.  The only reason why happiness, love, and light exist is because I brought them into existence.

"Eve, I know you've been in pain.  I know very well that you were in enough pain that you lost your faith in my existence, just as Martin might have had he experienced the same thing.  But it wasn't there because I hated you.  I didn't cause it.  I have never wanted such things in the end.  But I can't force you to be happy.  I can't make others feel love and to spread love to others.  I could alter humans' brains to go through the motions, but it wouldn't be real - from that moment forward, they would just be zombies controlled by me, and I can scarcely think of a worse fate.  And I can tell you right now, I love every creature in existence far too much to ever have someone experience such a thing.  You might suffer, but no matter how much you suffer, you're still you, and that is an unsurpassed blessing.

"I know, just as well as you, that many, many humans have corrupted my instructions and have done terrible things.  So, do you want my real instruction to all humankind?  It is simple, and you would know it best as the Golden Rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  There is a reason why this instruction appears in one form or another in every single holy book in existence.  But you are not to do it because I said so, for doing it for such a reason fundamentally corrupts it to its core.  Rather, you are to do it because you truly love the person for no reason other than that they are who they are, no matter who that might be.  That, in short, is my ultimate wish for humanity.  There is a reason why love is the strongest and most beautiful emotion in the world: it is because it is the emotion that all life in the universe ought to embrace, fully and without regret, to the exclusion of all others.

"But... as I have said, it is not at all something that I can impart on you.  It is something that you must find for yourself.  And those who can never find it from birth until death, far from being people whom I will punish for eternity, are those who are most in need of help from people just like you, who were able to find it and who can help others to find it.

"Thus, I can say no more.  Eve, I can't force you to be with me in Paradise.  But I can tell you that I love you unconditionally even if you choose not to, and that I will always be here if you ever wish to reconsider."

------------

Well, that got a bit longer than expected. :P

Nonetheless, the above (if anyone actually read it...) is pretty much my vision of the god whom I believe to exist, and the god to whom I dedicate my life (although my actions on Earth are certainly not contingent on his existence).  That so many have an impression of God as the original version conveys leaves little wonder in my mind why so many people find his existence as told by other humans difficult to fathom.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

To be honest I found this story (the original, not Gabu's) to be as head-banging-against-a-desk aggravating as it would have been had a Christian wrote it with the type of outcome you would expect from such an author. Whoever wrote it lacks a good understanding of Christianity, and that ignorance only serves to make the story's lauding of atheism as well-thought and righteous and dismissal of theism as blind and foolish all the more disgusting.

Just to make my position clear, I'm an atheist and I don't exactly look upon theism very kindly. That said, a big reason why I became atheist is because of how annoyed I got with all the Christians around me ignorantly bashing other beliefs and promoting their ideology as the correct and righteous one despite having almost no knowledge of any other ideology and, ironically, little knowledge of their own. As a result, I'm just as annoyed whenever an atheist or agnostic starts talking like a fundie, and I especially hate stories that serve no purpose other than "look at how right we are, and how foolish the other side is! See how ridiculous they look in this hypothetical scenario that betrays my ignorance of the very topic I'm mocking?".

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
Good stuff. Though there are many problems, it was an interesting read. As was GabuEx's alternate ending.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a79221380856

"First, I didn't destroy Martin.  I've simply... given him time to think about things."GabuEx

:lol: I'm sorry, but that cracked me up. 

"Thus, I can say no more.  Eve, I can't force you to be with me in Paradise.  But I can tell you that I love you unconditionally even if you choose not to, and that I will always be here if you ever wish to reconsider."

GabuEx

Oh my gosh! There should be tears in my eyes! :cry: May I have your permission to use this on the site I found it from?

To be honest I found this story (the original, not Gabu's) to be as head-banging-against-a-desk aggravating as it would have been had a Christian wrote it with the type of outcome you would expect from such an author. Whoever wrote it lacks a good understanding of Christianity, and that ignorance only serves to make the story's lauding of atheism as well-thought and righteous and dismissal of theism as blind and foolish all the more disgusting.

Just to make my position clear, I'm an atheist and I don't exactly look upon theism very kindly. That said, a big reason why I became atheist is because of how annoyed I got with all the Christians around me ignorantly bashing other beliefs and promoting their ideology as the correct and righteous one despite having almost no knowledge of any other ideology and, ironically, little knowledge of their own. As a result, I'm just as annoyed whenever an atheist or agnostic starts talking like a fundie, and I especially hate stories that serve no purpose other than "look at how right we are, and how foolish the other side is! See how ridiculous they look in this hypothetical scenario that betrays my ignorance of the very topic I'm mocking?".

gameguy6700

Point taken. I did too notice that there seemed to be a misrepresentation of Christianity clearly present. I have the tendency to take atheism, but mostly life in generally, rather fundamentally and as I read that story, I felt strong feelings of attachment arise within me that haven't emanated from me since I considered myself a Christian. As those feelings progress, a sense of guilt also developed, because I was feeling the same pride that I most regret when I was a theist.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

While there were some problems that I had to ignore to allow me to keep reading, it was a very interesting read.

@Gabu: I didn't quite read the entirety of your alternate ending (skimmed at parts ), but I also think that if there is a god, (s)he would be much more akin to the character that you described.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5a79221380856

@Gabu: I didn't quite read the entirety of your alternate ending (skimmed at parts ), but I also think that if there is a god, (s)he would be much more akin to the character that you described.Forerunner-117

Oh, and another thing that you brought up, God would be a she. :P 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Just to make my position clear, I'm an atheist and I don't exactly look upon theism very kindly. That said, a big reason why I became atheist is because of how annoyed I got with all the Christians around me ignorantly bashing other beliefs and promoting their ideology as the correct and righteous one despite having almost no knowledge of any other ideology and, ironically, little knowledge of their own. As a result, I'm just as annoyed whenever an atheist or agnostic starts talking like a fundie, and I especially hate stories that serve no purpose other than "look at how right we are, and how foolish the other side is! See how ridiculous they look in this hypothetical scenario that betrays my ignorance of the very topic I'm mocking?". gameguy6700
Just to be clear, I'm a theist, so I don't think you and I agree on a lot of things. But we do agree on that. Very well said.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]"First, I didn't destroy Martin.  I've simply... given him time to think about things."Genetic_Code

:lol: I'm sorry, but that cracked me up. 

Well, good, it was supposed to be amusing. ;)

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

"Thus, I can say no more.  Eve, I can't force you to be with me in Paradise.  But I can tell you that I love you unconditionally even if you choose not to, and that I will always be here if you ever wish to reconsider."

Genetic_Code

Oh my gosh! There should be tears in my eyes! :cry: May I have your permission to use this on the site I found it from?

I can't tell if you're being serious, but if you are, sure. :P

Oh, and another thing that you brought up, God would be a she. :P 

Genetic_Code

A fair point, but I think this is more a problem with English than with anything else - there's really no good pronoun to use for something like God.  If God does exist, I have a feeling that the concept of gender is probably completely inapplicable to such a being, so neither "he" nor "she" works... but "it" is largely only for inanimate objects, so "he" I use pretty much just because it's the more widely used of the pronouns and because there isn't anything better.  Not because I think God is actually male (a concept that I imagine probably evolved out of the largely patriarchal formation of society that existed long ago).

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChiliDragon
Well, if humankind truly is created in God's image, then God is both male and female, or more likely a sum of the two that is somewhat larger than the parts. Just a thought :)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GabuEx

Well, if humankind truly is created in God's image, then God is both male and female, or more likely a sum of the two that is somewhat larger than the parts. Just a thought :)ChiliDragon

Eh, I've never taken that statement to refer to physical image, because otherwise you'd have to assume that God has physical characteristics like height, weight, and so on... which wouldn't exactly make much sense if he's supposed to be infinite. And, considering that humans come in tons of shapes and colors, the statement doubly makes no sense.

To be honest I don't really know quite how I interpret the statement that humans are created in God's image. Because so much else in the Genesis creation story is (in my opinion) parabolic in nature, it's difficult for me to know just what we're supposed to glean from that statement. I suppose many would say that, since it's immediately followed by the statement that we're supposed to rule over everything else on Earth, it's saying that humans are special and that the world and everything in it was put here for our pleasure... but considering my animal-lover and environmentalist streaks, I find that interpretation difficult to swallow.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChiliDragon
To be honest I don't really know quite how I interpret the statement that humans are created in God's image.GabuEx
Me neither. I've always assumed that us being sentient, and animals not being sentient, was the most important point. As for ruling, I disagree. I think we were meant to care for it in His physical absence. God is still here, but has decided to work through us. We're his hands in this world, he is entrusting us with its care. So we're caretakers more than rulers. But I also happen to think that if we are, then that in and of itself means that God is neither of our genders. Because mankind has both, so God must have both too, right? or have more than both, or have something totally different? Either way, the fact women are at least half the human race means that God can't be exclusively male, which of course is the important part. ;)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx

I've always assumed that us being sentient, and animals not being sentient, was the most important point.ChiliDragon

Yes, but I find it hard to make any sort of absolute divide between other animals and us, as it seems to just be a continuum with us at the far end rather than an uncrossable chasm between them and us. Of course we don't see them as sentient... but that's largely just because we can't interact with them as we can with other humans. Perhaps if we were a dog or a cat, we would find other dogs and cats to be perfectly sentient.

Other animals have been shown to be self-aware; other animals have been observed using tools; other animals cooperate with one another and work together; other animals use both bodily and sound-based communication; other animals experience emotions (perhaps less complex emotions, but nonetheless); and other animals can use basic forms of logic ("if I go to my bowl, the human will feed me"). As a result, I really am at a loss to see anything that we do that other animals don't; it's just a matter of the extent to which we do it.

There are certain things I could think of that might be candidates, such as our perception of beauty, or our desire for something more than simple day-to-day living... but I really don't think I'm equipped to say in any form that animals cannot appreciate beauty (how would we know?) or that animals would not, if able, do the same things we do to increase their comfort and security in life.

As for ruling, I disagree. I think we were meant to care for it in His physical absence. God is still here, but has decided to work through us. We're his hands in this world, he is entrusting us with its care. So we're caretakers more than rulers.ChiliDragon

Well, the Bible, if that's what we're working off of, does specifically use the word "rule" in Genesis 1:26, and I can confirm that the Hebrew word radah from which it is translated does indeed mean "to rule; to have dominion over"... but I did actually decide to go look it up, and I found this page which offers an interesting look into it. I hadn't really investigated the word before this moment, and it seems to be the case that it does not, in fact, mean what I thought it meant; the relationship it establishes is one more of a shepherd to his or her flock than of a king or queen to his or her subjects.

Huh. Well, I'll be. :P I have to say, it's always kind of weird looking up stuff in the Bible myself and finding something entirely different than what I've been told or have heard repeatedly...

But I also happen to think that if we are, then that in and of itself means that God is neither of our genders. Because mankind has both, so God must have both too, right? or have more than both, or have something totally different? Either way, the fact women are at least half the human race means that God can't be exclusively male, which of course is the important part. ;)ChiliDragon

Well yes, God definitely is not male in the sense that organisms are male; that much I'm certainly not arguing against.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 domatron23

To be honest I don't really know quite how I interpret the statement that humans are created in God's image.GabuEx

The interpretation that I always hear is that the soul is the image of God. God of course is incorporeal and so he put some sort of incorporeal element into mankind as a reflection of himself.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GabuEx

The interpretation that I always hear is that the soul is the image of God. God of course is incorporeal and so he put some sort of incorporeal element into mankind as a reflection of himself.

domatron23

Yeah, there's that... but to be honest I don't like that interpretation at all.  As I've said before, I can see nothing that would constitute evidence of a soul that does not also appear to be present to one degree or another in other animals.  Sure, we can build architectural wonders and technological marvels, but surely that of all things isn't what proves we have souls.  I've always felt the idea that only humans have souls comes more from the strictly human-centric way of thinking that so many humans have than anything else.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"]

GabuEx

Yeah, there's that... but to be honest I don't like that interpretation at all.  As I've said before, I can see nothing that would constitute evidence of a soul that does not also appear to be present to one degree or another in other animals.  Sure, we can build architectural wonders and technological marvels, but surely that of all things isn't what proves we have souls.  I've always felt the idea that only humans have souls comes more from the strictly human-centric way of thinking that so many humans have than anything else.

Oh it's certainly human-centric thinking yes. Nevertheless even if he soul wasn't responsible for any distinctive function it could still be said to be present and perhaps that part of us which survives death.

Anyway I've heard the following things applied to the "made in God's image" part: emotions, consciousness, morality, qualia, intelligence and a mind. I figure that if you don't believe that the brain accounts for all of those things then a non-physical soul which is a reflection of the God who made you fits the bill nicely.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabuEx

Oh it's certainly human-centric thinking yes. Nevertheless even if he soul wasn't responsible for any distinctive function it could still be said to be present and perhaps that part of us which survives death.

domatron23

Right, but if it's just something that's there and which has no outward indication that it's present, that doesn't strike me as anything remotely approaching an "image" that someone could be made after.  Surely an image would be something that was actually visible or perceptible.

Anyway I've heard the following things applied to the "made in God's image" part: emotions, consciousness, morality, qualia, intelligence and a mind. I figure that if you don't believe that the brain accounts for all of those things then a non-physical soul which is a reflection of the God who made you fits the bill nicely.

domatron23

Animals (or at least some animals) pretty clearly have emotions, consciousness, intelligence, and a mind.  The question of morality is a pretty hazy one, as we have no real way of determining with any certainty the way animals approach the world... and similarly the capacity for abstract thought (which I assume is something akin to what you mean by qualia) is something that we can't really say with any certainty that animals don't have.

I'll always remember this one time when we had two cats as pets who were brothers, and one of them was hit by a car and killed.  The surviving cat for a good period of time thereafter seemed very lethargic and didn't have much appetite - by all accounts, he was exhibiting classic symptoms of depression.  I don't think I ever questioned whether or not other animals had souls after witnessing that.

Indecipherable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Indecipherable
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts

I don't think I ever questioned whether or not other animals had souls after witnessing that.

GabuEx

I have said that at another post, and again responding to you. Coincidence, or fate? I don't think anyone who has a pet and half a heart can say that animals don't possess a soul, if this is what is in charge of oir showing emotions. Even if that is not the case, and the brain is actually responsible for said emotions, surely animals are as capable as us in this field.

Now, to return to the story. Both Genetic Code's and and GabuEx's stories were interesting to read. Although I did like Gabu's ending better, Eve's last phrase in Genetic's version was really impactful, ending the story with a dramatic "BANG", whereas Gabu's story more like faded away, giving the reader something to consider.

As far as the content is concerned, I also think that Genetic's story is quite biased. I also consider myself an atheist, but I liked the image of God Gabu presented. It more closely represented my very own view on what Judgement will be like, if an atheist is to be judged. If God is fair, (s)he should judge based on our actions in life, not our faith or lack thereof.Â