dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16018 Posts

While it's certainly possible for an atheist parent to teach his/her child that sexual abstinence before marriage is a good thing, I think it's pretty obvious that teaching abstinence is mainly fueled by religions (especially christianity). The apostle Paul says in 1Corinthians 7: verses 2 and 9 that it's better to pursue marriage [as a sexual outlet] than to have sex before marriage.

It's one thing for a christian parent to teach their christian child that abstinence is good, but do you think that christians and/or abstinence programs are justified in trying to get atheist and other non-religious children into abstinence-only? For that matter, do you guys think that abstinence is a good thing or that abstinence-only programs are beneficial?

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Ugh I hate how some Christians rush into marriage because of 1 Corinthians 7. Getting sexually frustrated is about the worst reason to get married that I can imagine and while most Christians marry for sound reasons there are too many crappy married relationships and/or parents who are falling apart because they married too hurriedly due to the religious prohibitions against sex before marriage. It is better to have sex before marriage than it is to ruin a relationship or your children's lives.

Anyways abstinence. I have nothing against teaching any children that not having sex will prevent pregnancy and stds etc. Actually every child and teenager should really know that. I do have something against excluding education about contraception though, it's irresponsible and ridiculous. No matter how much abstinence is encouraged there will always be some people that have sex at a young age and if they don't know about contraception then they are at a severe disadvantage. Every sex ed program should be teaching both abstinence and contraceptive methods, anything less is a stupid omission.

So abstinence-only programs aren't a good idea in my opinion and every child regardless of belief should have a full sexual education.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I have a close, life-long friend who was raised on the idea of "abstinence only" and his twin sister got pregnant a couple years ago after fooling around with their minister's son... and now they have a kid, are married and can barely afford the cost of living together. Back in grade 5, I remember that both were given written exemptions to be taken out of sex-ed cIass... and they are living proof that it doesn't work.

I find abstinence-only programs abhorrent. Truly I do. They don't teach children anything. Abstinence is the greatest way to avoid getting pregnant... yes, but that's only if you don't have sex. What about ways to avoid pregnancy IF you do start having sex? Because we all know that no matter how much will power some people might have, even if religiously inspired, will never over-power the adolescent hormone struggle... and when you start having sex, its best to know how to use a condom and other forms of birth control to avoid ruining your life before you become an adult. Or especially here in Canada where the cost of living is grossly high, ruining your life before you become settled in a good career.

Sex is an adult activity that should only be enjoyed by people willing to fully accept the responsibilities associated with possible results of intercourse AND be at least somewhat capable of taking on the support of a child if one results from it. My girlfriend and I have sex, and we are 24 and 23 respectively. We both haven't established careers, but are using methods of birth control to avoid bringing another child into this world before it would be a good thing.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Anyone who refuses to teach their kids about using condoms to prevent STDs and any other form of birth control to prevent pregnancy, is betraying their children and completely failing as a parent. There's nothing wrong with teaching abstinence before marriage, or at least before a committed long-term relationship with someone you love. It's a good principle and can probably go a long way towards presenting sex as a precious and valuable thing that should be approached with care and respect, if you want to add that angle to the conversation. But the other options have to be taught as well, because it's a verified fact that abstinence-only programs don't work. Teens participating in them not only have just as much sex as teens who didn't; when they do, have sex they hardly ever use any form of contraception. So regardless of what their intentions were, the actual result of the abstinence-only programs could probably be said to be worse than if nothing at all had been done.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

My issue with abstinence only programs isn't that they're fueled by primarily religious reasons. Rather it's that they're extremely counter-productive and simply don't work.

It doesn't matter how much you scare a kid into thinking that they should never have sex before marriage because sex is primarily controlled by biology. This is especially true for girls where their desire for sex peaks when they're most fertile (ie right before ovulation). As a result, most teens who have learned everything they know about sex through abstinence only programs don't have sex most of the time because their urges are still low enough to be controlled by the fear of getting pregnant/catching STDs. But then the girl hits the periovulatory phase of her period and her sexual desire goes through the roof, which is enough to make her willing to engage in risky sexual behavior. The boy is more than willing to oblige since guys are pretty much always at peak libido, and as a result they decide to have sex at the absolute worst time possible. Now if they knew about contraception this wouldn't be much of an issue, but because of their terrible sex education they aren't aware of the effectiveness of condoms or spermicide, so they wind up having sex in a way that is almost guaranteed to get the girl pregnant.

As with all things, it's best to acknowledge reality instead of trying to live in a fantasy land, even if reality sucks. The fantasy that a lot of conservatives want to live in is that teens won't have sex if they aren't taught about it. The reality is that a lot of teens are going to have sex whether you want them to or not. Thus, the best course of action is to teach them how to have safe sex rather than to try to deceive them and live them completely ignorant in the process.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I am very supportive of abstinence and I'm fine with abstinence-only education. I'm neither for or against abstinence-only education. I am a little bit against comprehensive sex education because I personally find the idea of learning about protected sex repulsive. Either way, it should be up to the states to decide whether or not to teach it and if the states do not decide, then it should be up to the schools. If a teenager who received abstinence-only education gets pregnant should not blame the government, but themselves. Even if they are taught abstinence only, that does not mean that they cannot practice abstinence and therefore if they fail to do as they were taught, then they can only blame themselves.

I think it's preferable not to have sex before marriage. Speaking from a purely moral universalist standpoint, premarital sex is not wrong as long as both parties are consenting adults and they don't engage in any unhealthy actions. Emotionally though, I am repulsed at the idea of premarital sex, because I view it as a despicable act to foretake and a violation of society's mores. I don't advocate rushing into marriage though.

To be quite clear, I am quite naive when it comes to sexual matters. I don't even remember what sex education I had when I was in high school. I'm pretty sure we were taught abstinence only, or otherwise I would've remembered it.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gameguy6700

I am very supportive of abstinence and I'm fine with abstinence-only education. I'm neither for or against abstinence-only education. I am a little bit against comprehensive sex education because I personally find the idea of learning about protected sex repulsive. Either way, it should be up to the states to decide whether or not to teach it and if the states do not decide, then it should be up to the schools. If a teenager who received abstinence-only education gets pregnant should not blame the government, but themselves. Even if they are taught abstinence only, that does not mean that they cannot practice abstinence and therefore if they fail to do as they were taught, then they can only blame themselves.

I think it's preferable not to have sex before marriage. Speaking from a purely moral universalist standpoint, premarital sex is not wrong as long as both parties are consenting adults and they don't engage in any unhealthy actions. Emotionally though, I am repulsed at the idea of premarital sex, because I view it as a despicable act to foretake and a violation of society's mores. I don't advocate rushing into marriage though.

To be quite clear, I am quite naive when it comes to sexual matters. I don't even remember what sex education I had when I was in high school. I'm pretty sure we were taught abstinence only, or otherwise I would've remembered it.

Genetic_Code

I've never understood this viewpoint. Why do people view sex as repulsive and premarital sex to be so terrible?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChiliDragon
I am a little bit against comprehensive sex education because I personally find the idea of learning about protected sex repulsive.Genetic_Code
This part confused me. What's repulsive about teaching people how to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancies, not to mention STDs? :?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a79221380856

I've never understood this viewpoint. Why do people view sex as repulsive and premarital sex to be so terrible?

gameguy6700

Sex is a lot like urination. No one wants to see it unless they're the ones participating in the action. Premarital sex is not preferable because it's more respectable for two adults to wait until marriage to have sex. That, and the sex is as safe as it will ever be from my understanding of how STDs develop. Plus, you'll be prepared for a pregnancy. Well, marriage itself does not necessarily mean you're prepared for a pregnancy, but if you properly prepare for a marriage then most of the time, you should be properly prepared for a pregnancy

[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]I am a little bit against comprehensive sex education because I personally find the idea of learning about protected sex repulsive.ChiliDragon
This part confused me. What's repulsive about teaching people how to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancies, not to mention STDs? :?

Well, I find it particularly repulsive when it comes to teaching teenagers as they're at an age where they should not be having sex.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChiliDragon
Sex is a lot like urination. No one wants to see it unless they're the ones participating in the action.Genetic_Code
A very profitable branch of the entertainment industry begs to differ... (Sorry... that was such an obvious come-back I just couldn't leave it alone. :P)

Well, I find it particularly repulsive when it comes to teaching teenagers as they're at an age where they should not be having sex.

Genetic_Code
So what's repulsive is not the part about protection so much as the thought that minors have sex?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a79221380856

So what's repulsive is not the part about protection so much as the thought that minors have sex?ChiliDragon

That and the belief that protection is 100% effective.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16018 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]So what's repulsive is not the part about protection so much as the thought that minors have sex?Genetic_Code

That and the belief that protection is 100% effective.

Few things are consistently 100% effective. If what you're suggesting is that we shouldn't have pre-marital sex because condoms are prone to breaking in the rare instance, what the hell would you ever use in life? Toilets, ovens, microwaves, cars, keyboards and beds are prone to not working, should we therefore stop using those things because there is a microscopic chance that they will fail?

Please don't tell me you actually think that. :?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a79221380856

Few things are consistently 100% effective. If what you're suggesting is that we shouldn't have pre-marital sex because condoms are prone to breaking in the rare instance, what the hell would you ever use in life? Toilets, ovens, microwaves, cars, keyboards and beds are prone to not working, should we therefore stop using those things because there is a microscopic chance that they will fail?

dracula_16

Is condom failure microscopic? Is it no worse than being abstinent? If so, you may have a point.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Abstinence-only education is a bit like getting people together, telling them not to commit any crimes, and expecting that that will cause crime rates to go down.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="dracula_16"]

Genetic_Code

Is condom failure microscopic? Is it no worse than being abstinent? If so, you may have a point.

That's the thing though. Abstinence is 100% effective in preventing STDs and pregnancies, since it basically is just another name for celibacy. Problem is, very few people have the strength and determination in them to remain celibate, especially during the hormone-raging teen years. The vast majority needs to have a back-up plan, something to fall back on when one day they decide it's "worth the risk". That's where condoms come in.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 domatron23

Perhaps a visual representation of the decision will help here. I've been a little bit cheeky with some parts of it.

abstinence vs contraception

To work out the expected outcome of this decision you'll need to assign a value to each outcome and the probability that it will occur and then work out if teaching abstinence only or both yields the best result. For the values let 10 be the best possible outcome and 1 be the worst possible outcome.

So let's figure out the expected outcome of a person who learns abstinence only first. I'll give the outcome that he remains celibate a value of 9 and a probability of 0.2. Then I'll give the outcome that he has sex a value of 3 and a probability of 0.8.

Using those figures I can calculate (9*0.2)+(3*0.8) that the expected outcome of teaching person X abstinence only is 4.2. Not very good I must say.

Now lets figure out the expected outcome for teaching abstinence and contraception. I'll give the outcome that he remains celibate an 8 and a probability of 0.2. Then I'll give the outcome that he has sex a 7 and a probability of 0.8.

Using those figures I can calculate (8*0.2)+(7*0.8) that the expected outcomeof teaching person X abstinence and contraception is 7.2. Pretty good.

If you want to you can try and work out your own expected outcome using your own personal values and your own probabilities.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I'm certainly in favor of teaching abstinence as the major way to prevent pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and sexually immoral behavior.  However, I am also well aware that simply teaching this will not prevent everyone from having premarital sex.  Because of this, sex education must also be taught as a "Plan B."

Sadly, abstinence was not something that was taught to me growing up.  As taught in my schooling, premarital sex was not only permissible but encouraged.  My church even had an unsaid rule that having sex was permissible so long as you marry one another if the female becomes pregnant.  Abstinence was never even portrayed as a possible option.  To my deep regret, I never changed this mindset until it was too late.  This is not to say that I've been sexually active the past several years however.  I've had to do a lot of repenting and for 2 years now have refused to even be in a compromising situation with another female until marriage. 

Because of my personal dealing with sexual temptations, I'm very strong in my views of abstinence.  Though my greatest regret in life is failing in this regard, I have since "made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl" (Job 31:1).

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#18 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I'm certainly in favor of teaching abstinence as the major way to prevent pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and sexually immoral behavior.  However, I am also well aware that simply teaching this will not prevent everyone from having premarital sex.  Because of this, sex education must also be taught as a "Plan B."

Sadly, abstinence was not something that was taught to me growing up.  As taught in my schooling, premarital sex was not only permissible but encouraged.  My church even had an unsaid rule that having sex was permissible so long as you marry one another if the female becomes pregnant.  Abstinence was never even portrayed as a possible option.  To my deep regret, I never changed this mindset until it was too late.  This is not to say that I've been sexually active the past several years however.  I've had to do a lot of repenting and for 2 years now have refused to even be in a compromising situation with another female until marriage. 

Because of my personal dealing with sexual temptations, I'm very strong in my views of abstinence.  Though my greatest regret in life is failing in this regard, I have since "made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl" (Job 31:1).

mindstorm
Now that's what I call a "true believer". I may have very harsh opinions about your beliefs but I salute your honest passion.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gameguy6700

Perhaps a visual representation of the decision will help here. I've been a little bit cheeky with some parts of it.

abstinence vs contraception

To work out the expected outcome of this decision you'll need to assign a value to each outcome and the probability that it will occur and then work out if teaching abstinence only or both yields the best result. For the values let 10 be the best possible outcome and 1 be the worst possible outcome.

So let's figure out the expected outcome of a person who learns abstinence only first. I'll give the outcome that he remains celibate a value of 9 and a probability of 0.2. Then I'll give the outcome that he has sex a value of 3 and a probability of 0.8.

Using those figures I can calculate (9*0.2)+(3*0.8) that the expected outcome of teaching person X abstinence only is 4.2. Not very good I must say.

Now lets figure out the expected outcome for teaching abstinence and contraception. I'll give the outcome that he remains celibate an 8 and a probability of 0.2. Then I'll give the outcome that he has sex a 7 and a probability of 0.8.

Using those figures I can calculate (8*0.2)+(7*0.8) that the expected outcomeof teaching person X abstinence and contraception is 7.2. Pretty good.

If you want to you can try and work out your own expected outcome using your own personal values and your own probabilities.

domatron23

Wait, I'm confused, how does staying celibate have anything at all to do with being a child molester? There are countless reasons other than being a pedophile why a person may be celibate, and there are many child molesters/rapists out there who also engage in normal sex as well.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ChiliDragon
Wait, I'm confused, how does staying celibate have anything at all to do with being a child molester?gameguy6700
I may be reading too much into it, but I think it might be a crack at the Catholic church's practices in that department.... ;)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 domatron23

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Wait, I'm confused, how does staying celibate have anything at all to do with being a child molester?ChiliDragon
I may be reading too much into it, but I think it might be a crack at the Catholic church's practices in that department.... ;)

Pretty much.

Like I said I was a bit cheeky with it.