A unified version of Plantinga and Maydoyle's ontological argument by domatron23

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

(A) "Being" is a perfection

(B) "Maximal greatness" is a perfection

(C) If a property is a perfection, it's negation is not a perfection

(D) If a property Q is a necessary condition for a perfection P, Q is a perfection

(E) Logically contradictory statements are false

(1) It is proposed that a being has maximal excellence in a given possible world W if and only if it is omnipotent, omniscient and wholly good in W; and

(2) It is proposed that a being has maximal greatness if it has maximal excellence in every possible world.

(3) If a maximally great being does not exist, a maximally great being's existence is impossible

(4) If it's impossible that a maximally great being exists, every being has the property of "limited greatness".

(5) If every being has the property of "limited greatness", the property of "limited greatness" is a necessary condition for all beings.

(6) The property of "limited greatness" is a perfection (from 3,4,5,A and D)

(7) The property of "limited greatness" is not a perfection (from B and C)

(8 The statement "a maximally great being does not exist" is logically contradictory (from 6 and 7)

(9) A maximally great being exists (from 8 and E)

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
I think you've successfully created an argument whose inanity density levels are high enough that it could be used as an unconventional warhead. :P
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 domatron23

I think you've successfully created an argument whose inanity density levels are high enough that it could be used as an unconventional warhead. :PGabuEx

Take that uranium!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
One point I don't understand: A seems wrong by default. How can something be perfect by just "being"? B is the only perfection.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 domatron23

One point I don't understand: A seems wrong by default. How can something be perfect by just "being"? B is the only perfection.Genetic_Code

Yeah A is pretty much the big point of contention and once again an ontological argument is reduced to the "existence is not a predicate" argument.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

(A) Not true (like G_C said)

(B)What would greatness refer to?

(D) This is not true imo. Perfection is achieved from the collection of properties, how can one property alone bestow perfection?

(4) I dont understand that. :? (and consequently, everything that follows :P)

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
I have limited greatness. Is it a perfection or not? Make your mind up. :x :P
7guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 7guns
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts

O_WOW! My brain just died a little!:|

No. 5&6 isn't making much sense! "Limited greatness" is "perfection" if it is common to every living being?

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
Maydole's argument is an argument for divine necessity. It just bolsters Plantinga's argument :P
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
One point I don't understand: A seems wrong by default. How can something be perfect by just "being"? B is the only perfection.Genetic_Code
Maydole's argument doesn't assume that something is perfect by having a "perfection". Maximal greatness only assumes that it has this set of perfections which make it "maximally great" or "supreme"(in the words of Maydole himself) or "perfect-ness"
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

You have a definition error with "being is perfection" - right away you've implied imperfect beings cannot exist - you don't need the later contradiction, you simply have to prove point A. I could add that you cannot claim necessary existence from contradiction (at least, if you're planning to win the debate :P ) but everyone already nailed the root problem.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

You have a definition error with "being is perfection" - right away you've implied imperfect beings cannot exist

subrosian

I think it'd be more correct to say that the assertion is that being is necessary for perfection - that is, there cannot be a perfect being that does not exist - rather than to say that being it itself perfection.  "A perfection" is very different from "perfection".

Of course, now we're into the question of whether existence is actually capable of changing anything in the being itself, and I maintain that that assertion has already been pretty much beaten into submisssion and is pretty well untenable by now if anyone has read past attempts at the ontological argument.