Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

From here. (BBC News)

pope

An online poll of 2000 people found that 79% had no interest in the papal visit next month. 77% thought the UK tax-payer should not pay for religious visits to the UK. The poll was done by "Theos" - a Christian "think-tank". (I've always fancied creating a web site for a fake rival organisation called "atheos". I guess I'm being slightly jealous, since they seem to get good funding to research biased "science and religion" projects, like if people believe in evolution or creationism which only aims to "elucidate", rather than seek evidence promoting or detracting either stance!)

Of course the head of the catholic church in the UK said we should pay. Archbishop Nichols said "And I think we should remember that the Pope comes as the spiritual leader of one in five of all the people on this planet, so this is not a minor figure, as it were. " (lies) and "This is the leader of probably the oldest international institution, that serves humanity in a tremendous way right around the globe." (More lies).

He hasn't disclosed if "Ill Papa" be visiting any of the thousand of victims of child abuse under Catholic priests though, so we won't really know what we'll be paying for. Earlier this week, an aide to Archbishop Nichols, Edmund Adamus, told Catholic news agency Zenit that Britain had become a "selfish, hedonistic wasteland".

My own view is that the Catholic Vatican state has huge sums of money, so should have absolutely no trouble paying its own way here. There are reports that the planned Catholic gatherings have not had great ticket sales. But, just like always, a tremendous amount of tattle and commemorative Catholic merchandise should help this tour make a profit.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
Earlier this week, an aide to Archbishop Nichols, Edmund Adamus, told Catholic news agency Zenit that Britain had become a "selfish, hedonistic wasteland".RationalAtheist
And the Pope's visit is something like an exorcism of the evil? This is... *facepalm*
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I don't think I would care much either. :P

Pope John Paul II was a good man.  This new guy... I don't so much care for him.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16028 Posts

I don't think I would care much either. :P

Pope John Paul II was a good man. This new guy... I don't so much care for him.

GabuEx

I wholeheartedly agree.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Not surprising.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I live in Northern Ireland, and I think the majority of people here wouldn't be interested either, with perhaps even some people protesting against it (possibly including unionist politicians). Personally, I'm not interested in the visit. While I don't support it, I do recognise that it is an important event for Catholics in the UK, but I totally agree that the Roman Catholic Church should pay for most of the expenses. I hope the Pope will try to reach out to disaffected Catholics, in addressing the various ecumenical matters.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
So... why is the U.K. government paying for the visit?
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RationalAtheist

The Catholic propaganda machine has started rolling to bring you - the "Benedictaphone"!

bebdictaphone

Bendictine beer:

Benny beer

And pocket Popemobile:

popemobile

Theres'a a video from the marketting agency responsible for all this tat here at the BBC.

In other news, the Right Reverend Ian Paisley, leader of the free Presbyterian church (and responsible in brokering a peace deal with Irish Catholic nationalists), is going to protest at the Pope's visit to Scotland.

In still more news inspired by this "holy visit", a survey showed that 52% of Catholics thought the church's sex abuse scandles have shaken their faith in the church's leadership. "Two-thirds also thought women should have more authority and status within the Church", according to that survey.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I'm surprised no one raised a fit when the Pope said that the Nazis wanted to "eradicate God from society". Here's a relevant article on the subject.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RationalAtheist

I'm surprised no one raised a fit when the Pope said that the Nazis wanted to "eradicate God from society". Here's a relevant article on the subject.

Genetic_Code

I considered posting it and was thinking about using pictures (just search Google images for "fascist catholic" or "Gott Mit Uns") to get the notions of Godless nazism in perspective. I was waiting for another attempt at my Catholic quiz thread first though.

It is interesting to learn about how the Vatican State came to be - bought from Italy under agreement from the inventor of Fascism and Hitler's Axis parter and ideological mentor, Mussolini.

Â