Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Angelbabe531
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts

I was reading an article about the used video game business (if you wanna read it, it's here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/video_games_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002035113).  I was just wondering what everyone's used game habits are. 

I personally think the used games business is a little shady.  I never trade in games because the margin is so small, and I love how they pay you a small amount and then sell your game for just $8 under the price of a new game....yeah.   Oh, and the $3 difference between new and used player's choice games!!  They must make a killing.

When buying, if there's a choice between a new one and a used one, I buy the new one.  The used games I buy are the ones that aren't made anymore. I think this is the best model me, a way to find an out of print game, and in that way it's a great service for me.  I also think it hurts the game makers when they sell games that just came out used.

...oh, and I hate that seedy look the clerks give you when return to the store and tell them the used game you bought doesn't even turn on!  They barely blink an eye and you can just feel them chuckling inside.  I mean if the game doesn't turn on in my console, there's no way they even tested it.  And they act all cheery when they replace your game - like the fact that they exchange it no questions asked is consolation for you driving all the way back to the mall.  Sorry if anyone here works there, but I had to vent about that.

....oh, and on a different problem, why have some stores instituted a policy of adding the insurance to the price of a game when they're ringing you up.  The first time this happened, I bought a DS game (it always comes out to less than $40) and he smiled at me and said the total was $42 and change, and I let out a little Scooby Doo noise, then he said it included insurance.  I promptly made him remove it.  They still do it, but I'm assuming the gap between when they tell you the price and the explanaion is smaller now....I guess cuz I was so caught off guard the first time....

Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts
I almost always buy my games online. I too only tend to buy them second-hand when the new ones are no longer available. And I never sell them. For games are a collectors item for me, just as books are.
DrFish62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 DrFish62
Member since 2003 • 4973 Posts

When buying, if there's a choice between a new one and a used one, I buy the new one.  The used games I buy are the ones that aren't made anymore. I think this is the best model me, a way to find an out of print game, and in that way it's a great service for me.  I also think it hurts the game makers when they sell games that just came out used.Angelbabe531

I agree completely. I never buy used games for current consoles. The only games I buy that aren't in the original factory sealed plastic are titles that are no longer in production (N64 and back). I also never buy used games from EB or GameStop for the same reasons you mentioned above. There's no reason to charge those kinds of prices. I find small chains or mom & pop stores for my used games.

....oh, and on a different problem, why have some stores instituted a policy of adding the insurance to the price of a game when they're ringing you up.  The first time this happened, I bought a DS game (it always comes out to less than $40) and he smiled at me and said the total was $42 and change, and I let out a little Scooby Doo noise, then he said it included insurance.  I promptly made him remove it.  They still do it, but I'm assuming the gap between when they tell you the price and the explanaion is smaller now....I guess cuz I was so caught off guard the first time....Angelbabe531

That's pretty sketchtastic. The guys at my local EB have asked me about it before, but they can't tack it on without checking with you first. That's poor business and just plain dishonest. The average consumer would have just paid the $42 and not even thought to ask.

dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 dcgames
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
For used games I always go to my neighborhood Blockbuster and rummage through the bargain bin. I've found some great games there (the Zelda Oracles, both Golden Suns, etc) for $10-$15.
Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Angelbabe531

That's pretty sketchtastic. The guys at my local EB have asked me about it before, but they can't tack it on without checking with you first. That's poor business and just plain dishonest. The average consumer would have just paid the $42 and not even thought to ask.

DrFish62

I know!  I was almost certain they were trying to scam me, I mean it was a rung-up amount, down to the cents.  It's not as if they said, "hey for $3.50 more you can get insurance".  I of course have no real way of knowing if they were going to tell me in time because I could have attributed the gap in time to my shock.  They still do it sometimes though, like with Silent Hill 2 the other day at another one, they tacked on an extra $1 and said it included insurance.  I laughed in his face...the game only cost $7.99!  Maybe it's cuz I'm a girl, in that case, it makes me madder! :evil:

Tarnsyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tarnsyn
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts

I prefer to buy new games over used. If there's a game I really want, and I just can't seem to find a new copy of it, then I'll buy it used, sure. Or, older games that have been out for quite a while. But, I think one of the best things, is to try to look for deals online; like on eBay. Sometimes you get lucky and find a game that's cheaper then what the retailers are selling. Plus, shopping online is just more convenient, if you can stand the wait while it ships. But I don't ever trade in either games nor systems. I keep them, cause it's kind of nice to say "I own that!" unless it's something really bad.

Like E.T.! :D (no, I don't own it, I don't think ANYBODY does!)

Atrevida_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Atrevida_15
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts

I really don't mind buying used games. I haven't had any problems with them. plus they're cheaper. But when you trade in games they'll sell them for much more than what they gave you. I guess you really can't get mad at that cause they need to make their money somehow.

laserone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 laserone
Member since 2005 • 679 Posts
INSURANCE!??  I've never heard of that!  What store does that?

I got bent over so bad once turning in some used and just-released games.  Never again, it's a racket.
Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Angelbabe531

INSURANCE!??  I've never heard of that!  What store does that?

I got bent over so bad once turning in some used and just-released games.  Never again, it's a racket.
laserone

They say that if the game breaks for any odd reason, being that it simply doesn't want to play, or it get's scratched or the lens won't read it cuz it's in bad shape, they'll replace it with a working one.  They also went on to say they'll replace it if you yourself damage it - be it you scratching it, scorching it, throwing it against the wall out of frustratiion that you couldn't pass it, accidentally letting it fall in the toilet, or whatever.

kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
[Jeeze... I coulda sworn I replied to this.] Personally I might buy used games but will never trade any in. It's just not worth it. The trade-in value is insulting - wounds like that should at least leave visible scars. Personally I'd rather give them to a kid on the street and feel good about things for a bit than give them to GameSpot and feel like I've been raped in an alley. If you want to be more formal you can always donate the games to a local community center, Children's hospital, Boys and Girls Club or homeless shelter. You can get more from a tax break on a donation than you ever could from GameStop or some other trader.
dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dcgames
That's pretty sketchtastic ...DrFish62

sketchtastic ??

Lol, that's great. My word of the day.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

I prefer to buy new games over used. If there's a game I really want, and I just can't seem to find a new copy of it, then I'll buy it used, sure. Or, older games that have been out for quite a while. But, I think one of the best things, is to try to look for deals online; like on eBay. Sometimes you get lucky and find a game that's cheaper then what the retailers are selling. Plus, shopping online is just more convenient, if you can stand the wait while it ships. But I don't ever trade in either games nor systems. I keep them, cause it's kind of nice to say "I own that!" unless it's something really bad.

Like E.T.! :D (no, I don't own it, I don't think ANYBODY does!)

Tarnsyn

My mom gave E.T. to me for christmas when I was a kid.  UGHH!

jimmycanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 jimmycanuck
Member since 2005 • 1339 Posts
My opinions on this are kind of lengthy, so I'm going to break it up into two sections for you, and apologize in advance about any rambling I may embark upon;
---------------------------------------
Part I - The Financial Aspect

I couldn't imagine owning most of the titles I do if I hadn't bought them used. I'm very surprised by the experiences everyone seems to have with used games. Specifially that everyone seems to feel;

A) there is no significant price difference between new and used games
B) you're never going to get a good price when trading in a game

Obviously just dealing with chain stores like EB will lead to this sort of an experience, but when it comes to used games that's just not the sort of place you go! In my area there are three stores that deal exclusively in used games, movies and music. Each one offers a great selection of titles that would put EB to shame, and the prices would knock your socks off! Let me give a quick example (and please keep in mind, these are Canadian prices). I'll use Tony Hawk's Underground to illustrate my point - it's not a new title, but it's still something that most major stores would stock. A perfect example of a game you might by used, but wouldn't need to.

MSRP - $29.99 (stores like EB would carry it for this up here - that's what all GH/Platinum Hits MSRP for in Canada)
Wal-Mart bargain bin - $18.96
Used (at my favourite shop) - $5.99

Even though it's just one example, it's a pretty accurate snapshot of the used games industry.

As for the concerns regarding getting poor trade in prices, I happen to have the flyer from my favourite shop on my desk, and I'd like to share a little bit of it with you. In this flyer is a really handy breakdown on what your games will be worth in trade. Let me give you the examples at the high and low end of the spectrum;

"If we sell it for: $50, You get $42 in credit or $32 in cash."
"If we sell it for $15, You get $10 in credit or $8 in cash."

Let me put this into perspective for you; Let's say there's a new game that comes out with an MSRP of $60. Within the first week a few trade in's always show up, so after a week you go and buy it for, say, $50 used. If you don't like it, or you beat it, grow tired of it and decide it's not something you'd play again, you can take it back to the store and get $42 in credit. That means it cost you $8 to own a game you didn't like, instead of $60! That's just a little more than the cost of a 3-day new release rental!

---------------------------------------
Part II - The Political Aspect

Money aside, there is a great debate that rages on about the morals of purchasing used games. On one side of the fence, you have the very valid arguement that developers/publishers/etc don't see a dime from the sale of used games, and lose money from the sales that could be going to new games, but aren't. That being said, there are a number of very valid reasons for purchasing used games. Let me discuss just one for now; game prices are drastically overinflated.

Back in the days of cartidge based gaming, new games cost around $50 - and with good reason. In addition to development costs, marketing, and liscensing fees, each cartidge cost around $16 to manufacture. CD's on the other hand, cost pennies. This was one of the major factors that motivated the transition from cartridge based gaming to CD based gaming. As the costs dropped for the producers, they should have dropped for the consumers... but they didn't.

If you have any doubt about the accuracy of this arguement - ask yourself one simple question - how many budget titles existed in the days of cartridge gaming? How many Greatest Hits collections? The only reason companies can afford to sell these games for such a reduced price, is because they cost less to make. Now I know that as far as budget titles go there is probably a greatly reduced cost on the development end. After all, how much could it have possibly cost to port Snood to the DS? But at the same tim,e many full price titles clearly benefit from the same small development costs as their budget counterparts.

Just take a moment to look at some of the games on store shelves, and think about the process that was required to bring the title to market. If we consider titles like Resident Evil 4 and God of War as the high watermark in development costs (thereby justifying their price tags) we need to remember that every new Madden costs EA tiddlywinks - it's primarily built off of last year's product. The same goes for every time Capcom ports a Street Fighter title to a new system (I'm looking in your direction Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX) or everytime we see a sequel that feels more like an expansion pack. Just compare Lumines and Ultimate Block Party - they're both brilliant block-based puzzlers for the PSP, and yet, the one released by a major publisher goes for twice as much!

---------------------------
I'm going to leave it at this for now - I need a breather, and I think I'll wait for some feedback before I allow this rant to continue. ;)
dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dcgames
Uh, wow ..... uh, I just buy it. lol
Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Angelbabe531

Wow jimmy, those are pretty nice deals!  There's a specialty used games store that I know of, but it's too out of my way to go to all the time.  It's a small mom and pop place.  I found them when one of nephews broke his PS2...for the second time...

I think what bothers me most about the financial part is that they keep the profits for themselves, of course, and they're pretty big margins.....and they keep it for what, stocking them?  At least the developers make the games, and the customers are paying for them, but the middle man gets a big chunk....it's just very disappointing.

You bring up another point about the price of games, they are cheaper to manufacture.  Game makers are concerned with making their money back - the money they put into making them....most likely as quickly as possible.  Do guys you think the $60 price tag is jumping the gun a bit?

dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dcgames
I would have to go out and get the word "STUPID" tattooed on my forehead if I spent $60 on a video game.
jimmycanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jimmycanuck
I think what bothers me most about the financial part is that they keep the profits for themselves, of course, and they're pretty big margins.....and they keep it for what, stocking them? At least the developers make the games, and the customers are paying for them, but the middle man gets a big chunk....it's just very disappointing.Angelbabe531

That's true - but I think the same can probably be said for new games as well. I don't think stores like EB would be in business if there wasn't a significant markup on new product. I wish I had some solid info to back me up on this, but I've got a hunch that the difference between what the wholesale and MSRP prices probably isn't that different than the gap between trade-in value and resale.

I think we can all safely agree without ruffling anyone's feathers that capitalism is the root of all evil. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to an undisclosed Central American country where you don't need quarters in the arcades! :P

[QUOTE="dcgames"]I would have to go out and get the word "STUPID" tattooed on my forehead if I spent $60 on a video game.

Just to clarify - the $60 I mentioned in my big long crazy post is $60 Canadian. In video game terms, a game that retails $49.99 in the US is $59.99 up here.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#18 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
The markup on new games is fairly minimal.  Game stores make their $ in trade ins.

I agree with Jimmy on this one (good to see you around again, BTW).  Another issue not raised is that used games are often the only way to pick up titles no longer manufactured or sold, like N64 or SNES.

As long as the game is in good shape, I'm happy with it.
Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Angelbabe531

[QUOTE="Angelbabe531"]I think what bothers me most about the financial part is that they keep the profits for themselves, of course, and they're pretty big margins.....and they keep it for what, stocking them? At least the developers make the games, and the customers are paying for them, but the middle man gets a big chunk....it's just very disappointing.jimmycanuck

That's true - but I think the same can probably be said for new games as well. I don't think stores like EB would be in business if there wasn't a significant markup on new product. I wish I had some solid info to back me up on this, but I've got a hunch that the difference between what the wholesale and MSRP prices probably isn't that different than the gap between trade-in value and resale.

I think we can all safely agree without ruffling anyone's feathers that capitalism is the root of all evil. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to an undisclosed Central American country where you don't need quarters in the arcades! :P

I would have to go out and get the word "STUPID" tattooed on my forehead if I spent $60 on a video game.dcgames

Just to clarify - the $60 I mentioned in my big long crazy post is $60 Canadian. In video game terms, a game that retails $49.99 in the US is $59.99 up here.

Oh, lol, you did clarify, I on the other hand failed to mention $60 US on new next-gen games, $10 increase from standard $50 US for a game.  I'm certain DC meant the same thing.  Do you guys think they're jumping the gun on making their return?  I for one don't want to pay it....dcgames for two, lol!

....also, you're right, a lot of that info isn't made readily available.  I guess it's designed to keep us from getting too mad, as it's safe to say when we see the profits on used games they make, we feel pretty abused, imagine new games.

jimmycanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimmycanuck
ahh, gotcha.  My bad!!  And you guys think you've got it bad - that $60 next-gen price tag is $70 for me!  (Plus we have a 15% sales tax - boo-urns.)

You're absolutely right though - I think the $10 price jump was an awful lot to expect out of consumers, and I think they're beginning to feel the backlash.  I've noticed some stores up here have already started to drop the prices on 360 titles by a few dollars here and there - it's probably the only way they can get these titles to move!

I'm pretty confident that the Revolution's titles will price the same as current gen titles - yet another leg up Nintendo's going to have on the competition this time around.  Hell - they have so many leg's up at this point that if they were a centipede they'd fall on their belly. 

Plus, I think a lot of the reason behind the Sony delay is that they're learning from the mistakes of the 360.  I've read a great article recently about Sony's secret plan to compete in the low-price market.  If I can find it again I'll post it in a new thread - I'm sure it would spark a great discussion.
bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

Used games have become such a huge business now that the developers are crying that it is more costly to them than piracy. The few that really got into it early such as GameStop are rolling in the dough now.

I personally am very thankful for used game access, as my collection would be about 1/3 of it's size if I could only buy new.

Thanks Gamespot.

Lonzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lonzac
Member since 2005 • 335 Posts

I've never liked buying second hand games, dunno why just personal preferance i guess. As you said its massive business now and seems most of the high street retailers of games do this in uk now. Its pure profit for the shops and its only really been the last year, year and a half its taken off.

The thing is you only save about a £1 on older games and maybe £5 on new games when buying used games and with the publishers starting to us MP pass codes and exclusive DLC, you'll end up spending more for a second hand game.

bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

Yeah, when buying a used game for the MP, you have to be careful and do the calculations considering the cost of MP access costs, especially if it is an EA game.

soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
I'm not going to buy a game unless it's $30 or less for the most part. It will have to be really special for me to buy it for more. That said, I highly recommend gohastings.com for used games, you can get some really great deals from them. When it's time to get rid of my games, I've found Amazon to be one of the best places to do it. They pay for shipping (UPS), so all you have to do is box it up and drop off at a shipping center. What's nice is you can spend the credit on anything, I've bought my handheld GPS with game credits.