kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
...what? Most people that have played games for a long time have those properties (books, movies, TV shows, etc) or ideas that they think somebody, anybody, should make a game out of. I could see a very enjoyable game based on "Watership Down" (perhaps the best novel ever written) - but I'm not sure who could pull it off well. It would be very easy to create a steaming pile of crap from it - the idea of essentially defenseless heros could be problematic for most developers. But the struggle for survival against a world of enemies, the political and social challenges of lapine world and the sheer novelty factor of playing a rabbit (or a group of rabbits) seems like rich source material. I could see side-quests and mini-games were you play El-Hairair in stories (which could, in turn, raise the moral of your warren and friends and so forth). It would have to focus on character, story and cleverness - not firepower and technology. (As an aside: as much as I truly love the animated version it was short and left a lot out. I would love seeing a three-hour epic "live action" version with fully CGI animals.) I've got a ton of others... but what are some of yours?
dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 dcgames
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts

That's an awesome idea. Watership Down is my all time favorite novel. I have an old hardcover of the story that graces my bookshelf (complete with a hand-drawn map by Mr. Adams himself), and I read it at least once or twice a year. And you're right, if done well the game would be ripe with character, plot, and adventure. Now that would be a video game I would definitely buy.

- dc

DrFish62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 DrFish62
Member since 2003 • 4973 Posts

Ahh, Watership Down. I had to read that in high school. It was the only book I've ever read that I didn't mind finishing in one night. I actually really enjoyed it.

I'm sure they could make a pretty out-there game out of the Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker series, but they'd be walking a fine line. I could see the game being really good if the developers took care of the property.

dcgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 dcgames
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
There's an illustrated, on-line playable (Flash) 20th anniversary version of Hitchhiker's Guide here.

- dc
booyamcnasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 booyamcnasty
Member since 2004 • 184 Posts
I'd like to see a version of Starship Troopers - based on the book, not the movie.  If you haven't read the book, it's one of the best accounts of the infantry you'll ever read.  They could do it up as a mech squad based 3rd person shooter.

I'd also like to see Shaun of the Dead turned into a video game.  This was one of the best zombie movies ever made, and a funny romantic comedy too.  Make it a funny version of resident evil, put clips from the movie into it,  There are story lines in games (like FFX) that can make you shead a tear or two, why can't many games make you laugh?

kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
I'd like to see a version of Starship Troopers - based on the book, not the movie.  If you haven't read the book, it's one of the best accounts of the infantry you'll ever read.  They could do it up as a mech squad based 3rd person shooter.booyamcnasty
Did you ever see the CGI cartoon based on "Starship Troopers"? It was much more true-to-the book than the films (I actually liked the first film... but second was a horrible, horrible waste of the Earth's capacity). I could easily see a game based on the book from the military perspective. It's too bad they couldn't include a game on the social perspectives in the book. ;^)
Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts
I would love to see a respected developer pick up a title that would include some x-rated content. But with the curent conservative climate, I will probably be senile & impotent before that happens. :roll:
booyamcnasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 booyamcnasty
Member since 2004 • 184 Posts
If you had a videogame with x-rated content, it would also have to come with a single handed controller. har har har
Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts
If you had a videogame with x-rated content, it would also have to come with a single handed controller.booyamcnasty

The Revolution will have one. But on a serious note, such immature comments serve to show how difficult it is to get a well-funded response on this topic. People are often either to prude and stay silent or downgrade it with banalities, which is a shame.

The IGDA (internatonal game developers association) has a blog on the subject. Which can be an interesting read. And it´s nice to see atleast some take it seriously.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

[quote="booyamcnasty"]If you had a videogame with x-rated content, it would also have to come with a single handed controller.Hastur

The Revolution will have one. But on a serious note, such immature comments serve to show how difficult it is to get a well-funded response on this topic. People are often either to prude and stay silent or downgrade it with banalities, which is a shame.

The IGDA (internatonal game developers association) has a blog on the subject. Which can be an interesting read. And it´s nice to see atleast some take it seriously.

That was a pretty interesting site.

Avatar image for TheGameWizard04
TheGameWizard04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 TheGameWizard04
Member since 2004 • 806 Posts
I'll have to read that novel you guys are talking about...what I would like to see is 1984 or Brave New World made into a game. I guess it could make it as a 3rd person shooter, or I was tihnking more of like a Metal Gear Solid type thing, it could even be made into a game like Beyond Good and Evil.
bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

I would like to revive this topic, it is a good one.

Me, I would like to see a video game made from the Anne McCaffrey "Dragonrider" series of books. And an RPG based on David Eddings book series "The Belgariad" and "The Mallorean"

Clive Cussler, one of the Kings of Action Adventure has many stories that would make great video games on the Uncharted level. Dirk Pitt would be an excellent protagonist with all the adventure, underwater activity and old antique cars. To bad it hasn't been done yet.

soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
I'd like to see a great Dr. Who game, that could be fun. Though I'd love to see Tennant as the Doctor, a game around the Time Wars against the Daleks would be cool.
Gun_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 Gun_Chimp
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

I'd just like to see a game which took MORE than a measly 8 or 9 hours to complete!  Also more dedicated server support, people buy second hand or "classic" games years after they first come out, but they always remain about 50% complete because there are no servers, leaving you to never unlock MP achievements not through lack of skill, but lack of servers!

Grrrr!  I paid good money for a full-priced, older game!  What gives you the right to stop me from enjoying all it´'s glory, on and off line???Â