Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Angelbabe531
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts

Laserone's front page article has me thinking about the much hyped launch of next-gen.  Anyone have any predictions/comments about next-gen launches?  Anyone satisfied w/ the 360 launch?  Does anyone believe Sony will be able to pull off a great (and affordable) PS3 launch?  Anyone still have hope in the Revolution?

Anyways, I wasn't (and am not) gonna get a 360, but it was interesting to see their target shipment and their actual shipment.  It's the 3rd month of the year, and systems still aren't readily available.  Meanwhile, people are forced to wait for a system that's already launched.  Then there are all the reported bugs....

PS3 shows lots of potential, and they seem to have a rabid base, but it seems like the facts are stacking against them for a timely and affordable release.  Sony keeps saying that they will get it out early, but they're pretty silent about the details.  And sure the most devoted fans will pay any price, but what about the masses that are used to the PS2, will they be as willing to get an expensive PS3?

The Revolution seems promising, considering they already have a target date of Thanksgiving, but when you read details, it seems as though the system is FAR from finalized.  Dev kits are incomplete, there are no concrete games, details about the system are still hidden from even developers.  They can presumably throw the actual system together rather quickly since it doesn't appear to be as intricate as the other 2 systems, but really, what about the games?  And will the decision to go against massive technology hurt them in the end?

It's all so hard to predict.  I can't wait till next year when they're all out and we can have some hindsight :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
deactivated-5df4e79c309ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
Member since 2005 • 6045 Posts
Nintendo making Revolution with no HD support is a risky move on Nintendo's part, but since most people don't have HD, it may work out in the end. It will definately make the system cheaper. Since Revolution isn't going to be on par tech-wise with the other two systems, it would be best for games to be Revolution specific instead of having weak ports from the other two.
Tarnsyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tarnsyn
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts

Now, it's not that I don't like the XBox...it's that I don't like Microsoft. While the XBox wasn't a bad system, I do have more resentment towards the 360. Namely because the XBox was not out very long at all. I have the feeling Microsoft could have made a 360 equivalent at the time, or somewhat close. The thing is, is that they have enough money, and don't need to foul the gaming industry with their more PC-based technology. Since, the 360 can be made into a PC, or something like that. And that's why, if I was to get one, I'd get it used, and off of eBay.

The PS3...well, they Blu Ray technology is a bit of a risk, but it can do a lot. If they can make the PS3 affordable at launch, then I hope the Blu Ray, if it's as good as said, takes off, inspiring similar technology in other consoles. Although, I'm not so sure about their controller design...I want to throw it, and hope it comes back to me, heh. But, seriously, it's the two long, what would you call them, arms?, that it has. They look just a bit too long. That, and it seems a bit small...

Now, I've always been a Nintendo fan. And I hope the Revolution does great. It's supposed to have a gaming library containing games all the way back to the NES, and are free to download, or am I wrong about that? Well, if I'm right about that, people seem to forget that. That WILL be a huge feature, I think. A lot of those old-school games are still good, and fun to play. I'm sure there are some people who would buy the Revolution just for that. As for the controller, well, I'm just as curious about it as everyone else. It is...unique. While I think I may prefer a normal controller, this one may work, too. It's just something we'll have to wait and see. As a sidenote, though, I think a lot of analyzers who are predicting the outcome of the new generation of the Console War are too often underminding the Revolution. Because, I think, they look at previous sales of our current-gen systems, and then compare them to the new ones, but being biased certain features and technologies, which in all and all, are important.

Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Angelbabe531

Jemdude, you're right, it might be hard to get developers release games on the Rev too.  I'm afraid of that because Nintendo has been struggling with 3rd party support....I expected next gen to be different.  Wonder if people will run out and buy it at launch if they're scared 3rd party won't make many games......and if so, will it be more than just a second console?

Tarnsyn, that's so true about Microsoft.  I was having a conversation w/ someone about this.  Their's was the last system and the most powerful system, yet the Xbox was the first to bow out.  If they hadn't jumped the gun, I'm guessing next-gen would have been delayed for 2 years....leaving more time for better launches and better systems.  They read the market all wrong (Sony is still in the position where their user base is so large that they could have kept making games and people would have been happy, despite it being less powerful).

Oh, and it doesn't seem that the Revolution games will be free, Nintendo has only said that they haven't decided on the price (though most people expect them to be really cheap or subscription based... http://revolution.ign.com/articles/680/680846p1.html ).  It's good that you bring this up though because the allure of having all of these games (even if they're old) at launch is a great draw.  I for one have a little list of games that I'll be downloading until the post-launch games flood in.

Hastur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Hastur
Member since 2002 • 1339 Posts
It seems that the next-gen hype goes hand in hand with the "but you need to own a hd television with it or else" statements. And as the local commerce is buzzing with promises of hd content, including the world soccer championships this summer (which is a big thing here). It looks like they are trying to force it down our throats. But with not even half of the programs on the national networks broadcasted in an 16:9 aspect ratio. I see no reason to jump on that bandwagon yet. Besides, I bought a decent tv two years ago.

But I am considering to buy a X360, because of the next chapter in the Elder Scrolls series, which is due out this month. If I would want to enjoy its full graphical potential on my pc, I would need a serious upgrade. Which would more than equal the price of a 360. But with the release of Vista and DX10 at the end of the year, I´m not going to waste 500 euros on a DX9 card.

And when I do buy a 360, I would probably be more interested in buying a Revolution next to it, than a PS3. Unless ofcourse it has a must have title, as when I bought my PS2 because of Rez.
kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
It seems that the next-gen hype goes hand in hand with the "but you need to own a hd television with it or else" statements. And as the local commerce is buzzing with promises of hd content, including the world soccer championships this summer (which is a big thing here). It looks like they are trying to force it down our throats. But with not even half of the programs on the national networks broadcasted in an 16:9 aspect ratio. I see no reason to jump on that bandwagon yet.Hastur
Personally I think it's about time that HD was pushed seriously. At least here in the US the FCC has hemmed and hawed and delayed deadlines for several years now. We're to the point where all major networks and premium cable channels and much of public braodcasting is available in HD. The sooner we can ditch the analog anchor the sooner we can open that spectrum up for wireless gaming! ;^) But seriously all the next gen systems will play on "normal" TVs - but everybody (well, maybe not MS who seems favor coming out with a new console every few years) expects this generation to last a while. It would be ridiculous not support HD TV if you're looking at a console released now having 5-10 years of active life. My worry is actually the opposite - Nintendo has made no annoucments of HD support and I really hope they do. The GameCube doesn't fit very well into my home theater now and I want the revolution to fit better. It would be a shame if it didn't support at least 720p. Remember too that this generation will not require HD TV - although games will look markedly better with it. The HD resolution will be used to enhance the image (sharpen and define it better) but won't be used to actually display more information (which is a little bit of a shame for some games). I'll see the same game on my HDTV that you on your regular TV - mine will be sharper and clearer perhaps but I won't see any more information. (As an aside 16:9 aspect ration has nothing to do with HD TV. The aspect ratio is just the shape of the image - either a "short rectangle" (4:3) or a "long rectangle" (16:9) - the latter is often called "letterboxing" because it leaves large black bars above and below the picture on normal (4:3) TVs. HD, on the other hand, is all about picture density and detail.)
kiwidust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 kiwidust
Member since 2005 • 355 Posts
The biggest problem, I think, in this generation will be the simple fact that all of the machines are so different. In this past generation the PS2 was complex, but the XBox and the Cube were much simpler and more powerful. This meant that cross-platform games in this generation have a tendancy to look nearly the same. The PS2 version might look a little worse, but not so's you'd notice in play. In the next generation the systems are, with the exception of the Revolution, very complex machines. Creating cross-platform games is either going to be a very expensive process (to optimize for three radically different architectures) or a matter of finding the lowest common denominator. Which do you think the game companies are going to gravitate towards? Ars Technica has a great article on this topic here: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/crossplatform.ars As for my take on the next gen consoles... +) XBox 360 So very, very rushed. MS new they had a headstart but they weren't sure how long of one - so they spewed the 360 out the door the instant they could. It's nearly four months later and I STILL can't buy one the shortages are so bad. The launch library was anemic and doesn't look like it'll pick up any real stream for at least a few months. That said I'll still be getting one. For one thing I got double the bonus I expected this year so I have the money. ;^) But for another thing I'm very intrigued by XBox Live and, especially, Live Arcade. It's sad I suppose that I'm more interested in getting this $400 system to play $5 games than in any of the available titles but that's the truth. Most of the titles I'm interested in are cross platform and more are "better" on the PC (well, on a high-end PC). In my opinion MS has to get the consoles in the stores and the games on the shelves. If the shortages (both of consoles and games) last until summer the luster is going to be gone with anticipation for the Revolution and PS3. +) PS3 I'm most excited by this one. Most of my favorite exclusives areon the PS2 and I'm very excited by the technological capablities. I already own an HDTV so I want a (relatively) cheap Blu-Ray player (and an HD director's cut of "Army of Darkness" but first things first). I'm leaning more and more towards assuming that the PS3 will be out spring 2007 instead of Christmas 2006 but I can still hope. Unless Sony does something really stupid (like make the system over $500) I don't think they have much to worry about from MS or Nintendo. I think they'll keep their dominance basically unscathed. I do think Sony should bite the bullet and create viable competition to Live however. The PS2's "hand off" online strategy worked well but we're past that point. People want cross-game buddy lists, message boards and marketplaces. +) Revolution I'm not as exicited about this one as PS3 but am much more excited about it than XBox 360. The new controller has the potential to be insanely great or to flop and drag the system down with it. I'm most interested in access to the old libray of games and replacing the Cube with something that will habitate my home theater better. Nintendo's always made great games and they always ensure that they're consoels are worth getting since you know that, if nothing else, there will be enough great first party games to make it worth while. But honestly I'm not sure why Nintendo is bothering with consoles any more. I've often said that they could release a "Nintendoizer pack" for one or both of the others. It would contain a Nitendo controller and, perhaps, a Nintendo themed gameskin. They could then release Nintendo games for the other consoles. The games would play with the Nintendo controller (always their focus of innovation). The controller pack might cost as much as a game ($60 in the next generation). Doing this would save vast amounts of R&D and would allow Nintendo to focus purely on the games and the interfaces. In any case the Revolution is going to be solid, as you'd expect from Nintendo, but, like the Cube, I think will be populated by a small number of great Nintendo games and lots and lots of cross-platform ports. If Nintendo can a) release the Revolution on schedule this year and b) release it at substantially less than the 360 (perhaps even, like the Cube, at $149) I think they'll cut into MS's Christmas business nicely.
Angelbabe531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Angelbabe531

The multiplatform does have me worried.  I've bookmarked the article cuz it's late and I can't read it carefully now.

You're right about the 360, E3 is right around the corner and it's not going to be the shiny new system in town.  I also haven't really heard about Microsoft's plan to get more systems out.  Once people see the details of the other 2 consoles, they may decide to hold the money that they were going to spend when they finally find that elusive 360. 

Lol, I think everyones skeptical about the PS3.  It seemed to be really on track, but they put all their chips on the Blue Ray, and they have to wait til it's all finalized.....there's no real guarentee as to when that will happen, delays could keep coming.  I for one don't really care for Blue-Ray, I'm one of those people who grumble about upgrading to an untested technology too quickly. 

....The HD on the other hand, is a different story.  It will most definately become a standard considering all the government backing.  I do think Nintendo should have added it as a courtesy to developers.  Developers might not want to compromise their vision for the Rev.  It's a gamble.  That said, I don't think it will be much of a problem right now, so they can get away with it.  They're making a prediction:  lots of people don't want to get new TVs, and the government is dragging their feet with the conversion, that buys them some time to saturate the market.  I guess they're thinking of the PS2 effect - it's the less powerful system, but so many people have bought it and invested in games, that no one really cares about it's graphics and slow load times.  They figure if it's coupled with a low price, chances are that it will saturate the market (much like the DS has).  But its a gamble.  The other thing about them not going "game only", I think a chunk of that has to do with pride, they really do take pride in their work and their legacy and they want to continue doing things their way.  The other thing is that Nintendo's still a very profitable company - making consoles isn't a concern to them because they don't lose any money on them.  Also, I suppose the Revolution will be lucky in a way that they may get all the fun, quirky, independent type games.  The big companies might not want to port their games, but if they play their cards right, they can have a unique little indie scene, and that too can be profitable.

bearnewman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 bearnewman
Member since 2007 • 2033 Posts

Gonna keep this thread for posterity purposes. I thought it rather interesting to go back and read about the angst of the 360 and PS3, the dominant consoles now. Nintendo Wii is now down to just over 100 bucks and we are all anticipating the the gen consoles in the next 18 to 24 months.

What do we NOW have to say about the nex gens?