Zen CPU preview on 13th December, hosted by Geoff Keighley.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Watch New Horizon, hosted by Geoff Keighley, for an exclusive advance preview of our new “Zen” CPU ahead of its 2017 Q1 launch.

See eSports & Evil Geniuses legend PPD put “Zen” through its paces. There’ll be appearances from special guests and giveaways.

This is the first time the public will be able to try it themselves and see what it’s capable of. If you’re serious about gaming, this is an event you do not want to miss.

Source.

How powerful do you expect Zen to be!? Lets not forget that the PS4P is still stuck with puny jaguars.

Avatar image for scrollinglayers
ScrollingLayers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ScrollingLayers
Member since 2015 • 632 Posts

Hinting at Zen being in Scorpio?

Nah....

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

It will do well if it can match clock-for-clock with Broadwells. I'd be surprised and delighted if I see it go toe-to-toe with Skylakes and Kaby Lakes, but I'm not expecting it.

My plan is still a Kaby Lake upgrade early next year. I don't expect it to change.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

I think they will be competitive, cheaper prices will no longer exist.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

A preview of a freaking CPU core? Beyond nerdy.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 madrocketeer  Online

@emgesp:

Eh, AMD could use a bit of hype for a new product. Their recent history has been one cost-cutting restructuring followed by another round of lay-offs. Considering the nature of the console market, their business with Sony and Microsoft most likely did little more than break even. They could really use something to look forward to.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

It will do well if it can match clock-for-clock with Broadwells. I'd be surprised and delighted if I see it go toe-to-toe with Skylakes and Kaby Lakes, but I'm not expecting it.

My plan is still a Kaby Lake upgrade early next year. I don't expect it to change.

Yep. It looks like Zen will be similar in design to the current Intel chips. Low power design, similar tech to hyper-threading, etc... Hopefully Zen and Kaby are both good and we see price drops across the product lines for the sake of competition.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Not going to expect anything special from AMD until well after I've seen some rock solid benchmarks from reliable sources. AMD have a habit of, we'll call it, overestimating their new products performance pre-release

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By madrocketeer  Online

@pyro1245:

Yup, competition is good. Honestly, Intel's entire 14nm gen has been a bit disappointing. I mean, I do appreciate the 200-300 MHz extra clock on Kaby Lake, but the chips are otherwise identical to Skylake, which were only incremental improvements on Broadwell. The recent Kaby Lake benchmarks, admittedly running on Z170 mobos instead of the upcoming 200 series chipsets, reflect this.

So if AMD can come out of nowhere and give Intel a good kick up the backside, I'd be ecstatic. Still not expecting it, but I'd be delighted.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

AMD bout to rekt Gimptel

no more lame 4 cores for $350

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

cmon AMD....poke chipzilla with a stick again! man the CPU sector has become a barren wasteland....need some competition.

it doesnt need to smash intels finest (it would be nice if it did but it wont). it just needs to offer excellent bang per buck and a great gaming experience (paired with the right GPU of course). modern games dont need super CPUs. they just need to be good enough.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@osan0 said:

cmon AMD....poke chipzilla with a stick again! man the CPU sector has become a barren wasteland....need some competition.

it doesnt need to smash intels finest (it would be nice if it did but it wont). it just needs to offer excellent bang per buck and a great gaming experience (paired with the right GPU of course). modern games dont need super CPUs. they just need to be good enough.

If Zen offers at least Haswell level of performance per clock and come in 4 core 8 thread and 8 core 16 thread flavors on the same standardized socket at lower price than intel's quad and 8 core i7's on two platforms. It will cause Intel to actually price competitively and rethink their two socket platform schemes limiting cpu core counts.

mjebb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mjebb
Member since 2016 • 86 Posts

Zen needs to be at Kaby Lake performance level and 33 percent cheaper to be competitive

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

@04dcarraher: that would also be a great CPU in its own right too. i have a haswell i7 in my laptop and there are no games that give it any trouble. its old but its still a beast. ZEN with a similar level of per core performance thats priced well and (in a desktop) with a higher clock would be just dandy for gaming.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@loco145 said:

Watch New Horizon, hosted by Geoff Keighley, for an exclusive advance preview of our new “Zen” CPU ahead of its 2017 Q1 launch.

See eSports & Evil Geniuses legend PPD put “Zen” through its paces. There’ll be appearances from special guests and giveaways.

This is the first time the public will be able to try it themselves and see what it’s capable of. If you’re serious about gaming, this is an event you do not want to miss.

Source.

How powerful do you expect Zen to be!? Lets not forget that the PS4P is still stuck with puny jaguars.

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/42231-zen-pricing-document-shows-four-skus-under-500

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@mjebb said:

Zen needs to be at Kaby Lake performance level and 33 percent cheaper to be competitive

That's too high of an expectation, I'm only expecting this to be above haswell and the start of a new era of competitive PC Price/Performance marketing between David and Goliath. Sure AMD may not win certain benches, but they are pose to take back mainstream usage as well as budget hardcore gaming.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#18 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Be nice to see AMD competitive again. Would force Intel to have more reasonable prices and make them do more than piddly performance gains gen to gen

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#19 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Getting hyped for AMD's CPU releases typically end in disappointment.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I do not have high hopes with AMD, their company seems to be ran by buffoons.. A great example of it was the zen cpu preview they had this summer where they showed the internals of the zen machine.... It was a disorganized mess build that looked like that some unpaid intern had to throw together in a few hours...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

With AMD able to use Samsung's foundries, it puts AMD on a relatively even playing field with Intel to design their chips. I am very much looking forward to seeing what Zen holds for us. We would all win if this is the rebirth of the Athlon vs Pentium days.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ronvalencia

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I wasn't hyped with Bulldozer since AMD haven't got the basics for good IPC designs i.e. two X86 instructions per cycle per thread is not good for IPC and it's a step backwards from Phenom II's three X86 instructions per cycle per thread.

The theory and high level concept design has to look better than Phenom II.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I wasn't hyped with Bulldozer since AMD haven't got the basics for good IPC designs i.e. two X86 instructions per cycle per thread is not good for IPC and it's a step backwards from Phenom II's three X86 instructions per cycle per thread.

Well, Jim Keller was completely involved with the Development of Zen, but left after he laid out the foundation. He was pretty much a consultant to AMD and their engineers.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ronvalencia

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Well, Jim Keller was completely involved with the Development of Zen, but left after he laid out the foundation. He was pretty much a consultant to AMD and their engineers.

Jim Keller's work covers

AMD's K7, K8, Jaguar and ZEN,

Apple's A4 and A5

Jaguar serves as the basis for ZEN i.e. low power consumption foundation for designing 2X wide Jaguar aka ZEN.