Your Top 5 most overrated games this gen?

• 74 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45497 Posts
  • The Witcher 3 (92 metacritic)- It has great production values, but it's such a tedious game to play. The combat is boring. The dialogue is super heavy and is a drag. I admit, I didn't play the previous games so maybe I would've cared more about the characters.
  • Super Mario Oddysey (97 metacritic) - Just not that fun to play. Doesn't have the same sense of wonder that Mario 64 did. Lacks the great platforming of 64 and Galaxy. It has its moments, but overall, the main game is too casual.
  • Super Mario 3D World (93 metacritic) - Another Mario game that just doesn't cut it for me lol. Galaxy was better. Playing with the Wii U controller sucked. Co-op wasn't fun. A very casual Mario game to me.
  • MGS V: The Phantom Pain (93 metacritic) - This game felt incomplete. The actual gameplay was great, but it seemed like at some point they were like, "let's just wrap this up" and recycle the missions. Also, it lacked the Kojima flair and the story was dull. Definitely the most boring MGS as far as story and characters go.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (89 metacritic) - As a Sony fan, it pains me to say this, but this game is overrated. Loved the concept, and especially the character design and the robots and the world and lore. That part is really amazing and kudos Guerilla for creating something original. But the combat wasn't fun for me. The human AI was also really dumb. I hope they address this in the next game.

So those are my 5, SW. I would say that is in order from 1 to 5. How about you? Top 5 most overrated games this gen?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25076 Posts

1. The Witcher 3: Terrible combat, Terrible controls, too much talking, and its just another typical ubisoft style open world game that praise as best thing ever.

2. Wolfenstein new order and new colossus: Machinegames made wolfenstein as worst FPS franchise today as these 2 are easily some of the worst FPS i have ever played, when new order was released it was praise as best FPS in years when entire game was just cutscene driven, follow linear path, on rail segment etc and sequel manage to make it even worse by having 20 minutes cutcenes after cutscenes which tell terrible story. and focus too much on mediocre stealth segments. perfect example of how not to make FPS.

3. Rise of Tomb raider: Each and every game become worse and shadow is worst of all but it was not praised at all too compare to Rise. newer tomb raider games are just walking in straight line, QTE, terrible combat, lara wine every time like this is sooo hard. easily some of worst games ever made.

4. Metal Gear solid 5 Fantom Payne: Game is dull as dishwasher, it has most bland open world i have ever seen with having most repetetive missions and objective and main character have zero personality at all. its basically third person far cry.

5. Resident Evil 2 Remake: while i quite liked this game but its an average zombie action game that is 4 to 6 hour short and having 1 or 2 location in entire game.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Thanks so much for this topic. 2 Games have been really starting to get to me this week so here they are: (sorry Nintendo or Sony Fanboys you are NOT going to like this!)

1. Animal Crossing New Horizons (as of just after the concert)

-Chop a Million Trees with almost no drop variety

-Catch Fish and it always says the exact same dad joke

-Hope that the store sells something you want...(It almost never will)

-Go catch some butter flies! Yay more dad jokes that repeat a Million times!

-Go visit random Islands that have nothing interesting to do on them!

-Hey look! The owl sleeps during the day that is SO FUNNY!

-Pay endless bells to get really bad house upgrades!

Is this really what a 9 looks like?!? WTF more like a 5

2. Final Fantasy 7 Remake (as of Chapter 8)

-Walk in a straight line, fight a doggie

-Walk in a straight line some more, wait...I need to walk in a straight like sideways as this time there are some boxes that are kinda in the way.

-Walk in a straight line some more..no wait I will go in a straight line in a motorcycle this time!

-Walk in a straight line but this time I get to farm parts to make the boss do less and time switches with Tifa! Fun!

-Walk in a straight line some more this time I get to fight some humans!

-Walk in a straight line some more but this time on some roofs! (Wahoo!)

-Hey look I get to walk sideways again in slow motion cause those damn boxes are bad and kinda in the way but not really!

-Lets to get some heat lamps now in a room designed only to waste time for no reason! (now I do respect heat lamps as they keep my food hot!)

-Level up and get gear that feels meaningless and there are very limited and very disinteresting choices.

-Oh yeah! I got to play DARTS at least we have that!

That is a 10!?!?! YIKES MORE LIKE A 5

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Red Dead Redemption 2: extremely boring game seemingly held together by the misplaced confidence the devs have in people being happy to do everything really, really slowly because the world is pretty to look at. More simulation than game and everything including finding materials for upgrades were really tedious this is the first game that made me think I was now bored of open world games. I wasn't, just that one.

Jedi Fallen Order: it's Star Wars. That right there is the only reason I can think of for all the rave reviews. The actual game is incredibly repetitive and dull, the characters are just awful and the story is lame. They should have listened to the publisher and used blasters, it might have been more exciting than the plodding repetitive melee combat. Oh, and wall running. You knew they were going to do that after Titanfall and sure enough the damn thing was everywhere. Lame.

Metro Exodus: I loved the early Metro games, I got halfway through this one and just had to stop. Mundane open world, terrible characters, worst dialogue in a videogame this gen, all the claustrophobic feel of the earlier games completely gone. This was a huge disappointment.

Divinity Original Sin 2: I liked the first one a lot despite the hilariously bad writing and felt when I started the second one that I was playing the same game with one slight caveat - the excellent combat was ruined by a truly awful shield mechanic they put on enemies to force you to waste skills just to wear the shields down. Why did they do this? Presumably to show they had at least one thing different to the first one, albeit much worse. Asshats. I hate that BG3 was given to these guys.

Resident Evil 2 Remake: I am honestly mystified at the great reception this game got. I love RE and was really looking forward to this but it just bored me stiff. It felt really formulaic like I was just going through the motions of a design document for an early RE game. It felt clunky and stiff I just don't agree with the amazing job everyone says they did updating the game it felt ancient to me regardless of how nice it looks. Maybe there are two RE2 remakes, I don't seem to have played the same one everyone else played.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghosts4ever

@blueinheaven said:

Red Dead Redemption 2: extremely boring game seemingly held together by the misplaced confidence the devs have in people being happy to do everything really, really slowly because the world is pretty to look at. More simulation than game and everything including finding materials for upgrades were really tedious this is the first game that made me think I was now bored of open world games. I wasn't, just that one.

Agreed with this. how can reviewers slapping 10/10 is like if it was not made by rockstar it would not recieve more than 7.

story also romanticizing gangsters.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts
  1. BotW - Turned Zelda into a mediocre sandbox series in addition to a laundry list of other complaints
  2. Mario Odyssey - Most boring Mario since Sunshine; it's probably worse tbh
  3. Ori - Over-saturated colors and over-reliance on "feels"
  4. Cuphead - Visuals are its only defining strength, and it also lacks online play
  5. Ratchet & Clank - Bland gameplay; bland music; bland level design; bland everything
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59363 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

1. The Witcher 3: Terrible combat, Terrible controls, too much talking, and its just another typical ubisoft style open world game that praise as best thing ever.

2. Wolfenstein new order and new colossus: Machinegames made wolfenstein as worst FPS franchise today as these 2 are easily some of the worst FPS i have ever played, when new order was released it was praise as best FPS in years when entire game was just cutscene driven, follow linear path, on rail segment etc and sequel manage to make it even worse by having 20 minutes cutcenes after cutscenes which tell terrible story. and focus too much on mediocre stealth segments. perfect example of how not to make FPS.

3. Rise of Tomb raider: Each and every game become worse and shadow is worst of all but it was not praised at all too compare to Rise. newer tomb raider games are just walking in straight line, QTE, terrible combat, lara wine every time like this is sooo hard. easily some of worst games ever made.

Basically these.

Movie shit that don't hold a candle to what came before. Gladly play RTCW or Tomb Raider 2 over this pap.

Shit on Death Stranding a lot, but haven't played it, unfortunately can't induct it into the shit list, would be unfair on lord Kojima.

These 3 I have, and they're shit.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Witcher 3: Crappy combat, huge grindfest.

Metal Gear Solid 5:Boring maps, repetitive missions.

Monster Hunter World: Frustratingly slow combat, very little story, equipment is too hard to get.

Bloodborne: Obvious Dark Souls rip-off, boring combat, almost zero story, boring level design, unnecessarily high difficulty.

Dark Souls: As with Bloodborne, there is almost zero motivation to stomache the bad gameplay.

I bet we're gonna start seeing some people put Final Fantasy VII remake on this list.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:
  1. BotW - Turned Zelda into a mediocre sandbox series in addition to a laundry list of other complaints

Agreed. One thing I respect about the Zelda series is they tend to be much more focused adventure games, whereas BOTW was a bloated sandbox filled to the brim with non-content.

I have to go with Sonic Mania. The entire Sonic series is based off of the "gotta go fast" gimmick, to the point where there is no actual level design to the game.

This looks nothing what a platformer should look like

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Basically these.

Movie shit that don't hold a candle to what came before. Gladly play RTCW or Tomb Raider 2 over this pap.

Shit on Death Stranding a lot, but haven't played it, unfortunately can't induct it into the shit list, would be unfair on lord Kojima.

They even ruined BJ blazkowiczez too. now he hate his own father.

no longer cool OSS agent from RTCW.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Basically these.

They even ruined BJ blazkowiczez too. now he hate his own father.

no longer cool OSS agent from RTCW.

Haven't played this and never liked it from the start. He just dolls out shit like it's Schindler's List, watch a cutscene like it's COD every 15 minutes trying to tell their shitty movie first, game second. No thank you.

Looking at the monstrosity that is Youngblood, tapping out early was a blessing.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

These threads always turn out the same, people show up with some of the most dumbass opinions on the planet and it just turns into who can bash the more popular game. Yawn...call me when its over.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
  1. Metro Exodus: combat is shit with a bland open world.
  2. Doom Eternal : glory kills are getting old and are gimmicky every kill is basically a QTE.
  3. Witcher 3: combat is weak and the graphics aren't as great as people make them out to be GTAV on PC looks better.
  4. God of War : I don't give a shit about your son.
  5. Gears 5: After 10 minutes I refunded this bitch so generic.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44561 Posts

I don’t think I’ve played any games this gen that I’ve felt were overrated.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

1) Insert

2) Any

3) Sony

4) Game

5) Here

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Death Stranding isn't even deserving a modest 7/10. I can't fathom what people see in a game with such sh*tty dialogue, boring gameplay, and laughable plot devices.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup

No platforming expert.

But aren't these maps designed to be highly explorable with multiple routes?

I have to go with Sonic Mania. The entire Sonic series is based off of the "gotta go fast" gimmick, to the point where there is no actual level design to the game.

This looks nothing what a platformer should look like

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Sure why not:

1. Uncharted 4: forgettable
  2. MGSV: feels incomplete and the missions got dull later
  3. Super Mario Odyssey: great game but it could have been better
  4. Rise of the Tomb Raider: also forgettable

I can't think of a fifth one. I've been playing less games over the years. Maybe Pokemon Sword and Shield but that game has been criticized a lot even before it launched.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45497 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: damn dude, Sonic Mania is one of @Renegade_Fury ‘s favorite games lol.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1278 Posts

Witcher 3

BotW

Of the ones I've played.

Haven't played RDR2 but I have confidence it belongs in the top 3 with these 2.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Uncharted 4 (lame indiana jones/tomb raider rip off)

God of War (no longer even in the hack n slash genre, turned god of war into a movie game, i swear if they were ever to pull something like this with a ninja gaiden reboot I'll stab somebody, dad kratos sucks, cant even jump anymore, this series is ruined as far as im concerned)

Witcher 3 (this game is loaded with content that will put you to sleep)

Persona 5 (the core turn based combat is great, too bad you spend most of your time with high school drama dialouge boxes and helping some dick run his shitty coffee shop)

Doom 2016 (the QTE highlights really ruin this game for me, walk up to execute a massive demon by pressing 1 button, doesnt feel epic, it feels gimped, its honestly some bullshit, id rather play pain killer for the 15th time than run back thru doom 2016)

Death Stranding (what even is this shit, the people who enjoy this garbage are masochists)

MGS 5 (trash)

Horizon Zero Dawn (also trash, repetitive, story is w/e, I couldnt even beat it, not because it was hard, its just borring and diddnt feel like wasting any more time with it)

All of these games are overated asf

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

1. Persona 5: Royal - Weeboo Japanese crap that looks like a PS3 game does not deserve its 95 MC or 10 on GS. This type of game should be limited to a 7.

2. Monter Hunter World - Not particularly high rated game on MC/GS, but it did get a 9.5 on IGN and its MC is around 90, which is a fucking insult. My friend and I bought and downloaded this game including Iceborne so we could have a co-op game to play together and it's completely broken piece of garbage. I cannot believe how difficult they made it for two friends to play together. Bad graphics, bad gameplay, poor combat. 3/10 at most.

3. The Witcher 3 - honestly isn't overrated in terms of MC; a 92/100 seems spot on. It's all the neckbeards claiming it is so perfect when it is not. Combat is clunky, mechanics are meh. Story is great, but nothing too special. Quests are relatively repetitive (use your Witcher senses to X,Y,Z). It's still a great game, but not as good as Skyrim, Oblivion, FFX, FFVII... Didn't deserve all the GOTY awards either, it isn't the best game of 2015.

MGSV: Phantom Pain is the most underrated game of the gen, it's 10/10 on GS & 95 MC should be more like 11/10 and 99 @ MC.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Haven't played this and never liked it from the start. He just dolls out shit like it's Schindler's List, watch a cutscene like it's COD every 15 minutes trying to tell their shitty movie first, game second. No thank you.

Looking at the monstrosity that is Youngblood, tapping out early was a blessing.

sadly i played wolf 2 for like half n hour then delete it. cant beleive someone can make game this bad. disgrace of being called FPS.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44291 Posts

Phony and Nintendont exclusives pretty much covers all the basses but that's been the case for like... evah. lol :P

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

all the games Ghosts spams threads about

Avatar image for deactivated-603db33572396
deactivated-603db33572396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-603db33572396
Member since 2007 • 361 Posts

the last of us

halo

underrrated: warhawk

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Witcher 3 isn't close to another Ubisoft game... you are clueless.

What made TW3 special was how fun and well thought out the sidequest are. Many were unpredictable and they were Dynamic offering different results that could effect the game world differently. It was light years ahead of any open world game at the time so much so that every open world title since then has tried to emulate it to an extent. Even AC Orgins and Odyssey scrapped the AC formula to be more like TW3 and rightfully so. It arguably moved the openworld genre forward more so then any game since GTA 3.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts

@vfighter: Yep, spot on.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By R-Gamer

1. Persona 5: People act like it's the best JRPG of all time and I honestly found it boring. I spent more time reading then playing and that's a problem. I also just wasn't into the story. Everything was ridiculously drawn out and I'm not sure how anyone wants to put 120 hours into that.

2. Forza 6: Literally almost the same game every couple years and reviewer's keep giving it 9's.

3. Forza Horizon 4 : Not enough Forza? Let's do an open world racer and rehash it every two years as well. Reviewers will still give it 9's eventhough it's basically the same game every other year.

4. Far Cry 4: Same 7 or 8 copy and paste side missions that you will do over and over again.

5. AC4-Black Flag: literally the worst main missions on an AC game but because it had pirates everyone loved it. I think I had to listen to people's conversations without getting caught about a dozen times just in the main story alone.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R-Gamer

@vfighter: So true! Mostly just lems and herms bitching about exclusives they never played and bashing the best games of the gen.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R-Gamer

@jeezers: Did you even play the new God of War?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

1. Titanfall 2. The franchise got its fans due to multiplayer. The sequel dumbed it down and flat out made this experience worse.

2. Forza Horizon 4. Let’s face it. It could’ve just been 3’s DLC. Although the hovercraft event was awesome.

3. World of Warcraft Classic. It’s fun to revisit, but if you’re going to call it classic, it should be classic. I’m looking at you, cross server BGs.

4. Anime games. Ugly art style needs to die a horrific death.

5. Rainbow Six Siege. Great game, but the lack of modes gets boring fast. Would it kill you to just have an 8v8 no gimmick Team Survival mode?

6. Ghost Recon. Man, what happened? Have the devs ever tried the originals?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Sevenizz said:

1. Titanfall 2. The franchise got its fans due to multiplayer. The sequel dumbed it down and flat out made this experience worse.

No its not. Titanfall 1 was half game sold at full price.

Titanfall 2 has excellent SP campaign. infact best SP done by these people since allied assault.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Excuse me but this is my contribution to the thread and my opinion. Arguing what I liked better is pointless and unnecessary.

I don’t care about single player so it’s addition meant little to me. They made the multiplayer worse and it’s what I loved about the original.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19688 Posts

Dragon Age: Inquisition

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Super Mario Odyssey

God of War

Red Dead Redemption 2

LadonnaTDQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LadonnaTDQ
Member since 2019 • 46 Posts

I don't really believe in something being "overrated" as it's just that my opinion might not align with general consensus and I always do believe a lot of games that receive high praise deserve it and the game just isn't for me. But to that end, the games I didn't like despite critical acclaim.

1. Uncharted 4 - Good characters and superb graphics, but I found the whole game a bit tedious with how much the story is told through cut scenes. The gun play is also a bit poor too.

2. Witcher 3 - This is mostly because I've fully gone off open world games, I don't have the patience for them. But I'm sure the game is actually very good.

3. Overwatch - I like shooters but I just couldn't get into this game. I didn't like the movement or the gunplay.

4. Wolfenstein - Can't remember which one it was but itwas on gamepass and I just found it rather boring, the storyline wasn't engaging at all.

I don't really have a 5th but Batman Arkham Knight was a bit disappointing, but I completed it and enjoyed it, but it didn't live up to Arkham City.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@r-gamer said:

@vfighter: So true! Mostly just lems and herms bitching about exclusives they never played and bashing the best games of the gen.

Would you like some tissues cow?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34785 Posts

The usual overhyped crap we get every gen.

God of War (possibly the most overrated game in history of videogames)
RDR2 (haven't played, but looks like a boring slog praised because of its production values)
Whatever FarCry or AC (as bad as they've always been)
Insert some other boring ass Sony game (because they suck)
Also Witcher 3. Hyped up (and regarded by many) as the best game ever, but was only a regular open world checklist game with some extra polish on story and pretty wonky gameplay. Better than some games, but best game ever made? That anyone would think so is just.. fucked up.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34785 Posts
@ladonnatdq said:

2. Witcher 3 - This is mostly because I've fully gone off open world games, I don't have the patience for them. But I'm sure the game is actually very good.

If you're already tired of open world games, Witcher 3 will do absolutely nothing for you. You wont miss out on much that you haven't already seen in other games. I'd recommend checking out Breath of the Wild for something new.

@Yams1980 said:

Disco Elysium - Too much reading and it felt like a boring point and click game from the 90s.

The **** did you expect?

@Mozelleple112 said:

2. Monter Hunter World - Not particularly high rated game on MC/GS, but it did get a 9.5 on IGN and its MC is around 90, which is a fucking insult. My friend and I bought and downloaded this game including Iceborne so we could have a co-op game to play together and it's completely broken piece of garbage. I cannot believe how difficult they made it for two friends to play together. Bad graphics, bad gameplay, poor combat. 3/10 at most.

It's unnecessarily troublesome to play together, but it sounds like you just didn't understand how to. It's fully possible to play everything together and not hard to do when you know how to. Sometimes one needs to head out on a quest to see a small cinematic before a friend can join, for example. I play the game with several friends without any problems all the time.

Bad gameplay? Poor combat? Since that isn't even remotely true, it's probably just you who suck at it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

1. Red Dead Redemption 2: pretty obvious, it has bad gameplay.

2. Persona 5: super tedious, badly written, shallow.

3. Sekiro: Shallow combat system. It's still decent, and certainly better than any western melee combat system, but the game is glorified simon says during boss fights and in a lot of encounters. Parries are an overrated mechanic and overused mechanic.

4. NRS Fighting games: Bad fighting engines, horrible animations, but hey at least the netcode isn't shit.

5. The Witcher 3: I do like the Witcher, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut that gameplay is shallow as sin for a game that is allegedly "one of the best of the gen"....not really, it's wildly outclassed by better games. And it isn't much of a RPG to make up for the mediocre combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Red Dead Redemption 2

Marvel's Spider-Man

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Super Mario Odyssey

Uncharted 4

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#44 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2607 Posts

Red Dead Redemption 2: It's impressive in a lot of ways, but it's not fun at all.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: I appreciate the lack of handholding and I think the physics are great, but the story and music are really weak.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: Same as Red Dead Redemption 2 but also with not so good gameplay mechanics.

MGS V: The Phantom Pain: This is a funny case because it was kinda good, but from a certain moment you can see where Kojima and Konami's relation went bad and Kojima stopped caring.

Persona 5: Yep, you read it well, I love the game but it has some flaws that i cannot overlook.

By the way I haven't played God of War so I can't talk about it, I think every game i mentioned are great, but really, their fans seem that they cannot see the flaws in them and think they're perfect, and just for that i think they're overrated.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@jeezers: This is exactly what I'm talking about, plus about 20 other examples on this thread.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16021 Posts
  • Zelda Breath of the Wilds - enjoyed it but its highly overrated. The weapon degradation system sucked ass, empty world with shit to do other than farming weapon, occasional power monsters & korok hunting which is not fun most of the time and ubisoft towers. This game is the definition of overrated for me.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - beautiful world, tedious mechanics. I quit by chapter 3 or 4 cause everything in this game is so slow. Idk I like the premise and the world but if they make the pace of the game faster I probably enjoy it more.
  • Witcher 3 - clunky combat. Quit the game a little into Skellige questline cause I am not loving the combat anymore. Open for a return cause I think the world is really interesting.
  • God of War - for some reason I just couldnt finish the game. I got to Mimir but my interest was somewhere at the time. played monster hunter at the same time then I just priotize that game more. Open to return.
  • Fire Emblem : Three House. Fucking overrated. Holishet they somehow made the calendar system even more tedious than Persona. When you reach part 2, you will at least have 7-9 points to spend in a single day and my god it is the most repetitive thing I played this whole year. Each week, join lunch, do choir, do sauna, teach the characters, do fetch quest, tea time... its tedious mate, really damn boring and tedious and most of the time you dont even see the result of your involvements. Still I managed to do all 3 route cause luckily dev knows how tedious the game was and added a skip button to skip the week which I fully utilized in NG+. The SRPG part is quality though, hope they drop the whole calendar shenanigans and back to SRPG goodness.

Honorable mentions - Persona 5 ( I loved it but I will first to admit its not as good as Persona 3&4), Wolfenstein, Octopath Traveller, PES20.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

Witcher 3: Crappy combat, huge grindfest.

Metal Gear Solid 5:Boring maps, repetitive missions.

Monster Hunter World: Frustratingly slow combat, very little story, equipment is too hard to get.

Bloodborne: Obvious Dark Souls rip-off, boring combat, almost zero story, boring level design, unnecessarily high difficulty.

Dark Souls: As with Bloodborne, there is almost zero motivation to stomache the bad gameplay.

I bet we're gonna start seeing some people put Final Fantasy VII remake on this list.

Not sure if serious.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#48 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19688 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

3. Sekiro: Shallow combat system. It's still decent, and certainly better than any western melee combat system, but the game is glorified simon says during boss fights and in a lot of encounters. Parries are an overrated mechanic and overused mechanic.

Are you suggesting Sekiro's combat system is more shallow than Souls and Bloodborne?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Are you suggesting Sekiro's combat system is more shallow than Souls and Bloodborne?

Yep, 100%. In Souls n Bloodborne you at least have to worry about positioning the whole fight. Sekiro's deflect mechanic makes it a non issue.

Souls leverage their depth from pretty simple aspects of how precise the combat options themselves are and enemy positioning n designs. Shit like high/low leverage actually matters in these games, where it's whatever in action/jacksons like Bayonetta n Devil May Cry n such.

While Sekiro has added more options to the players kit, they tend to fall into silver bullet design. Where they are a specific counter with no real con to specific things. Deflection for instance if your timing is down, posture is a whatever mechanic to the game. Yours will never go do down, and you can absolutely bury your enemy. Only a handful of attacks at most from the boss are going to be stuff you specifically need to dodge.

Health going down means your posture recovers less quickly is also a non point for the battle system. If your parry already protects your posture, while hurting the enemies, then the health going down also doesn't mean anything. Because that's just what you're going to do: hit the enemy, knock their health down. Instead of a scenario where you have to weigh going for health damage or posture damage, your scenario is always deflect the shit you gotta and then get your hits in. Which creates a steam roll in your favor in the long run of the fight.

Attack start ups can be cancelled into a deflect or a step-dodge. In Souls you actually are committed more to an attack Meaning the player has to be a bit more mindful or else they get whiff punished or straight up interrupted in their attack string.

In Dark Souls n Bloodborne, stamina management is part of the game. Shit in Bloodborne your parry is an actual currency, one you can actually fill up in a fight by giving up some health. Attack swings are governed by it, dodges are governed by it, and even blocking is governed by it. But deflection makes posture free, so by definition makes attacking free.

Most enemies while well designed in the game, the game still features straight boring shit like shielded enemies where you have to use the axe or they are boring. Or the zombies where you have to flame vent or you deal with their shit. Lightning counters are literally just another direct rock to another of the enemies scissor attacks. Mikiri counters have 30 frame windows, like fam, you got this lol.

Game needed more bosses like Shichimen Warrior where the player has to work around another element of the fight, so they can't just bury the boss in deflects without impunity.

This is not to say other games with parries don't also do simple things like "this is the dodge attack" and "this is the parry" attack, but relevant to the praise Sekiro got, it's wildly undeserved because it's easily From Software's weakest combat system. It isn't nearly as saucy or expressive as a Bayonetta or Devil May Cry to make up for balancing issues. It is at the end of the day a strict timing challenge, a hard one, but a timing challenge none the less. And that lacks the interesting decision making that a more expressive battle system has built around more inputs or lacks the interesting decision making of a game with simple systems but tightly designed enemies n obstacles to leverage varied responses from the player.

Make no mistake it's still a good game, obviously, and often the complaints presented on this forum about that game are straight scrub talk, but the games place among Miyazaki's best games I feel is unwarranted. It has a severe balancing issue that undermines the entire game, I'd compare it to what Umbran Climax did for Bayonetta 2. That game however isn't overrated among its community, most high level Bayonetta fans get that 2 is significantly worse.

Shallow is probably a harsh word, because we only associate that word with batman with it's glorified non combat, but Sekiro lacks depth overall as an action game is valid. And it certainly is not as deep of an action game as its predecessors as far as execution.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23059 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Aw, it bums me out that you didn't like this game. It's probably my favorite from this generation.

I usually end up liking most games and can see their strong points even if they aren't my usual cup of tea, however:

@r-gamer said:

4. Far Cry 4: Same 7 or 8 copy and paste side missions that you will do over and over again.

This game is a slog. I played 5 first and really enjoyed it. Then made my way through New Dawn and Primal, which were also really fun. Far Cry 4 is boring me to tears. I've been playing it off and on for a year, and just have to put it down after a few days each time.