You really do get what you pay for with XBL

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Since the NXE update I have really began to notice how solid of a platform that XBL really is. Aside from a few games having horrible matchmaking (Gears 2 comes to mind), it usually is an extremely stable and fast platform for online gaming. Integrated friends lists and scoreboards are really well done.

If you think about it, that $50 a year really gets you some stuff nobody else offers. You get a lot of features that are simply taken for granted. Coming from a PC gamer a lot of the features of XBL seem more like luxuries. With PC gaming you need to use outside program to have friends lists, you need to create an account for every single game you play online, you need to usually use an outside program for VoIP and usually then you need to connect to some dedicated server. For the experienced PC gamer like myself it is no problem, but it can be an hassle.

With XBL you get all of that integrated. Now with the Party feature it is even more integrated. You can talk to anybody on XBL playing any game at any time. It is one method of communications that is absolutely wonderful.

I used to see a lot of people bashing XBL. They say that PSN and the PC offer all of the same features. Collectively the two platforms do, independently they don't offer the features that XBL has. With XBL your not just paying for the features, your paying for the ease of use and accessibility that comes with those features to really enhance your gameplay experience.

Collectively I actually believe it is a stronger platform than both PSN and PC gaming for online play. Sure PSN offers many of the same features and so does PC gaming, but both lack all of the features and just the overal stability. I know that PC gaming benifits from dedicated servers, but that can get difficult for people to navigate server browsers, find the one they want, download any addons on loadup, and then finally play, only to be booted because of a reserved slot or something. With matchmaking, you really just hit go and you can easily get into a server. I have been playing a lot of CoD WaW on the 360 because of how easy it is to find a good quality game without the hassle of finding a solid server. Thats the reason why I bought it for the 360 over the PC, becuase I enjoy all of the features of XBL.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts
People will always complain about the price, but what it comes down to is that it's pretty sad if you can't afford $50 a year to pay for it.
bethwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bethwo
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts
Yeah XBL is the definite winner when it comes to convinience, I just don't think 40GBP a year is worth that convinience.
Deiuos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Deiuos
Member since 2005 • 1402 Posts
You're not even paying anything for it. 50 dollars a year is something a 4 year old can manage to get. I don't see why people complain. The money is only going to make the Xbox stronger in the long-run, don't people want that?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Considering the only advantages of Gold over Silver are online play and early demos, for someone who doesn't enjoy online multiplayer, it definitely isn't worth it. Plus, online is free on every other gaming platform and has been throughout history. Microsoft offers their integrated service for free to Silver members. If they had purely dedicated servers for MP, then I could see having to pay for it, but peer-to-peer? Its a joke.
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts
i agree with you, XBL is great, its just that i dont really want to have to pay anything. kinda stingy i know. i still go on XBL though, just not as much as PSN.
yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yowtfyowtfyo
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

Since the NXE update I have really began to notice how solid of a platform that XBL really is. Aside from a few games having horrible matchmaking (Gears 2 comes to mind), it usually is an extremely stable and fast platform for online gaming. Integrated friends lists and scoreboards are really well done.

If you think about it, that $50 a year really gets you some stuff nobody else offers. You get a lot of features that are simply taken for granted. Coming from a PC gamer a lot of the features of XBL seem more like luxuries. With PC gaming you need to use outside program to have friends lists, you need to create an account for every single game you play online, you need to usually use an outside program for VoIP and usually then you need to connect to some dedicated server. For the experienced PC gamer like myself it is no problem, but it can be an hassle.

With XBL you get all of that integrated. Now with the Party feature it is even more integrated. You can talk to anybody on XBL playing any game at any time. It is one method of communications that is absolutely wonderful.

I used to see a lot of people bashing XBL. They say that PSN and the PC offer all of the same features. Collectively the two platforms do, independently they don't offer the features that XBL has. With XBL your not just paying for the features, your paying for the ease of use and accessibility that comes with those features to really enhance your gameplay experience.

Collectively I actually believe it is a stronger platform than both PSN and PC gaming for online play. Sure PSN offers many of the same features and so does PC gaming, but both lack all of the features and just the overal stability. I know that PC gaming benifits from dedicated servers, but that can get difficult for people to navigate server browsers, find the one they want, download any addons on loadup, and then finally play, only to be booted because of a reserved slot or something. With matchmaking, you really just hit go and you can easily get into a server. I have been playing a lot of CoD WaW on the 360 because of how easy it is to find a good quality game without the hassle of finding a solid server. Thats the reason why I bought it for the 360 over the PC, becuase I enjoy all of the features of XBL.

Wasdie

nah you clearly have no idea what you are talking about...that's cool everything's intergrated/connected to one service...but if that service's server/xbox live server get's knocked offline you cant play online....while pc games are simply ran off peoples home pc's and a master server gathers the servers hosted by people and gives you a list to choose from....even if the master server on pc get's shut down..if you know a running servers ip address you can manually input it and still play.

yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yowtfyowtfyo
pc gaming will always be the best.
Afro_Samurai1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Afro_Samurai1
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts

I 100 percent disagree [feels like a blog]

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I disagree. I don't believe anyone should pay for online gaming, regardless if it's worth it or not.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
With XBL your not just paying for the features, your paying for the ease of use and accessibility that comes with those features to really enhance your gameplay experience. Wasdie
Couldn't agree more. It is an great service, with a "decent" price.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63f6895020e66
for someone who doesn't enjoy online multiplayer, it definitely isn't worth it. .foxhound_fox
O RLY? ;) :P Just kidding.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Call me crazy. I don't mind paying 50 a year for it.
no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
If PSN was as excellent and well-integrated as XBL then I'd definently pay for it
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

I disagree. I don't believe anyone should pay for online gaming, regardless if it's worth it or not.siLVURcross

People shouldn't pay for services they believe are worth paying for? That's an interesting belief.

I really like Xbox Live, and have no problem with the fee.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Call me crazy. I don't mind paying 50 a year for it.musicalmac
Not crazy... FANBOY. :P J/k.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Considering the only advantages of Gold over Silver are online play and early demos, for someone who doesn't enjoy online multiplayer, it definitely isn't worth it. foxhound_fox
I agree with this. I don't mind paying for it, but I know the service is not worth 50euros a year.
yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yowtfyowtfyo

Call me crazy. I don't mind paying 50 a year for it.musicalmac

i didnt mind...at first..but screw that...that's a game i could of bought.

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

yowtfyowtfyo

nah you clearly have no idea what you are talking about...that's cool everything's intergrated/connected to one service...but if that service's server/xbox live server get's knocked offline you cant play online....while pc games are simply ran off peoples home pc's and a master server gathers the servers hosted by people and gives you a list to choose from....even if the master server on pc get's shut down..if you know a running servers ip address you can manually input it and still play.

No you have no idea, your using a hypothetical to say XBL is crap...ok if my computer brakes i cant play online so i guess XBL win, do you understand how foolish the argument you just presented was? I agree with you OP easy of use is a major factor because thats why people buy things nearly all the time e.g why i dont go to my college gym even though its free because i want to go to local gym which is a few roads away and is much nicer even though i have to pay 30 pounds a year.
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
I agree. XBL is great and il bet my left hand that if Sony had put the effort, time and resources into PSN as M$ has XBL, they'd be charging too. The reason PSN is free is because Sony know damn right its not worth anything more than free.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Well, on the positive side of the things, they got paid by pirates as well.
nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts
I agree that xbl is well done, but I still don't see a reason for a fee. If fact there is no reason for a fee, it's why PC gamers get pc live for free. Console gamers just don't know any better.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts
There's no beating around the bush. You're paying $50/year to play games online with no dedicated servers. Buying a game for $60 and not being able to play certain features on it without having a subscription is bar-none one of the most absurd things this gen (IMO).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-63f6895020e66
I agree that xbl is well done, but I still don't see a reason for a fee. If fact there is no reason for a fee, it's why PC gamers get pc live for free. Console gamers just don't know any better.nmaharg
Or maybe they do and still think the fee is worth?
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
I nag on XBL because of the price, it really is a cool service, it just really pains me to pay for it, I'm a student, money is a luxury lol. And it pisses me off that all your really paying for is too play online, the rest is pretty much free. I rather have free online and have to pay for certain features.
nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nmaharg
[QUOTE="nmaharg"]I agree that xbl is well done, but I still don't see a reason for a fee. If fact there is no reason for a fee, it's why PC gamers get pc live for free. Console gamers just don't know any better.IronBass
Or maybe they do and still think the fee is worth?

Possible. I think it has more to do with having no alternative. Like say if silver let you play online and have voice chat and nothing else, not many people would pay for gold. If you own a 360 you have no choose but to get live, unless you don't want to play games online.
nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nmaharg
I nag on XBL because of the price, it really is a cool service, it just really pains me to pay for it, I'm a student, money is a luxury lol. And it pisses me off that all your really paying for is too play online, the rest is pretty much free. I rather have free online and have to pay for certain features.Eddie-Vedder
Hit up that fasa loan man. interest rate in like 4% this year subsidize.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts
After reading the OP, I'm surprised no one told him to blog it.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Yup, you definitely get what you pay for. I wish Sony would start charging, so that they could build up their online infrastructure.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yoyo462001
There's no beating around the bush. You're paying $50/year to play games online with no dedicated servers. Buying a game for $60 and not being able to play certain features on it without having a subscription is bar-none one of the most absurd things this gen (IMO).jharv
ill use a mobile phone as my example, you buy new and newer phones but the first one you had did what a phone does call and receive, so under your logic you should buy another phone ever again really...this analogy will have flaws in it but its the same principle, you pay for things because you want a better more quality product or service and thats what you get in XBL.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jharv
Yup, you definitely get what you pay for. I wish Sony would start charging, so that they could build up their online infrastructure.BioShockOwnz
Sony doesn't need to start charging. They just need better priorities. Wasted time/money on home which could've went to game online capabilities.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Yup, you definitely get what you pay for. I wish Sony would start charging, so that they could build up their online infrastructure.BioShockOwnz
Well that wouldn't be a smart move for Sony. They already have the most expensive console, they cant be adding charges like that.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jharv
[QUOTE="jharv"]There's no beating around the bush. You're paying $50/year to play games online with no dedicated servers. Buying a game for $60 and not being able to play certain features on it without having a subscription is bar-none one of the most absurd things this gen (IMO).yoyo462001
ill use a mobile phone as my example, you buy new and newer phones but the first one you had did what a phone does call and receive, so under your logic you should buy another phone ever again really...this analogy will have flaws in it but its the same principle, you pay for things because you want a better more quality product or service and thats what you get in XBL.

Hardware /= software.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="jharv"]There's no beating around the bush. You're paying $50/year to play games online with no dedicated servers. Buying a game for $60 and not being able to play certain features on it without having a subscription is bar-none one of the most absurd things this gen (IMO).jharv

Hardware /= software.

You are paying for some of the server backend that MS uses for Live, though. :D Just think of it as features = features. It's what they're offering you.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jharv
[QUOTE="jharv"][QUOTE="yoyo462001"]ill use a mobile phone as my example, you buy new and newer phones but the first one you had did what a phone does call and receive, so under your logic you should buy another phone ever again really...this analogy will have flaws in it but its the same principle, you pay for things because you want a better more quality product or service and thats what you get in XBL.Makari
Hardware /= software.

You are paying for some of the server backend that MS uses for Live, though. :D Just think of it as features = features. It's what they're offering you.

The features is nice and dandy what if you just want to play the game online though? You are forced to buy the subscription.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 yoyo462001
[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="jharv"]There's no beating around the bush. You're paying $50/year to play games online with no dedicated servers. Buying a game for $60 and not being able to play certain features on it without having a subscription is bar-none one of the most absurd things this gen (IMO).jharv

Hardware /= software.

mobile phone is a product whilst XBL is a service ones an invisible whilst other is a visible (hence are both the same)...so the analogy still works.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Makari
The features is nice and dandy what if you just want to play the game online though? You are forced to buy the subscription.jharv
that's another feature you pay extra for! the people saying it uses no dedicated servers don't actually play online at all though, do they? it's pretty much up to the individual game, as far as i can tell.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#38 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
Yup. And only with the 360 where you can play a free trial for every Arcade game, not just some but every Arcade game, and I believe also the XNA games.
yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 yowtfyowtfyo
xbox live is the biggest rip off ever...you have to pay for a avatar LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-63f6895020e66
xbox live is the biggest rip off ever...you have to pay for a avatar LOL.yowtfyowtfyo
Correction: you have to pay for SOME avatars. A lot are free or are unlocked by games.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jharv
[QUOTE="jharv"]The features is nice and dandy what if you just want to play the game online though? You are forced to buy the subscription.Makari
that's another feature you pay extra for! the people saying it uses no dedicated servers don't actually play online at all though, do they? it's pretty much up to the individual game, as far as i can tell.

LOL I don't think you're understanding me... yes you're paying for the features but to play online should be free. Silver memberships should get to play online minus the extra features. To play COD WAW on my Wii is free, to play online on my PS3 is free, to play online for my PC is free. But for X360 I have to buy a membership to play COD WAW online. Sure those features are nice but not $50/year nice (IMO)
yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yowtfyowtfyo

[QUOTE="yowtfyowtfyo"]xbox live is the biggest rip off ever...you have to pay for a avatar LOL.IronBass
Correction: you have to pay for SOME avatars. A lot are free or are unlocked by games.

xbox live sucks

one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#43 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

[QUOTE="yowtfyowtfyo"]xbox live is the biggest rip off ever...you have to pay for a avatar LOL.IronBass

Another correction: Avatars are free and there's a large collection of clothing free. Not sure what you guys are saying when you say you pay for Avatars.

yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 yowtfyowtfyo

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="yowtfyowtfyo"]xbox live is the biggest rip off ever...you have to pay for a avatar LOL.one_on_one

Another correction: Avatars are free and there's a large collection of clothing free. Not sure what you guys are saying when you say you pay for Avatars.

BS i seen them costing points

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jharv
[QUOTE="jharv"][QUOTE="yoyo462001"]ill use a mobile phone as my example, you buy new and newer phones but the first one you had did what a phone does call and receive, so under your logic you should buy another phone ever again really...this analogy will have flaws in it but its the same principle, you pay for things because you want a better more quality product or service and thats what you get in XBL.yoyo462001
Hardware /= software.

mobile phone is a product whilst XBL is a service ones an invisible whilst other is a visible (hence are both the same)...so the analogy still works.

No your analogy fails. You can still buy phones that calls/receives calls. You're not forced to buy phones with special features or forced to buy plans with email. You are forced however to pay to play multi-player while EVERY platform offers for free.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Makari
where?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="IronBass"][QUOTE="yowtfyowtfyo"]xbox live is the biggest rip off ever...you have to pay for a avatar LOL.one_on_one

My bad. I though we were talking about User Images (I usually refer to them as avatars). Lol, my confusion.
yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yowtfyowtfyo
lol steam>xbox live
yowtfyowtfyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 yowtfyowtfyo

matchmaking is the worst idea in video game history...you cant even choose which gametype or map you want.

server browsers are so much faster to get into games and easier to find the map/gametype you want.

dthach614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 dthach614
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

Wasdie

Matchmaking is trash.

You still get matched up with players you avoid.

Matchmaking is trash.

The reputation system works like poop. Everybody has 5 star.

Matchmaking is trash

Games like Halo lacks of custom game search engine.

Matchmaking is trash.

A lot of games lack dedicated servers.

Matchmaking is trash.

You do not get match up with players similar skill

mathcmaking is trash

xbl games lag just as much psn games. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE AND LIES

matchmaking is trash