Xbox/Game Pass Missed Growth Targets So Badly That Nadella Is Losing Millions In Compensation

• 60 results
GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2587 Posts

Source

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's performance incentives for the 12 months ending June 30, 2023, did not include a specific target for Xbox Game Pass subscriber growth, after that metric was included as a component in recent years.

Details: For 2023, the portion of Nadella pay relating to Xbox content and services revenue, was tied to a growth target of 4.4%, but the division only achieved growth of 0.7%, when adjusted for currency exchange rates, according to a new Microsoft filing.

• Other sections of Nadella's performance-based pay came closer to their targets or exceeded them, as was the case with goals tied to total LinkedIn sessions and growth in Microsoft Teams usage.
  • Nadella's overall cash and stock compensation for 2023 is listed by Microsoft at $48.5 million, down from $54.9 million in 2022.

Soon we will have confirmation of Game Pass missing its internal growth target for the 3rd consecutive year.

2021 - The goal was 48% growth but they achieved 37%
2022 - The goal was 73% growth but they achieved 28%

Next year is gonna be the year! Right Lems?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

They missed their targets because MGS had no 1st party releases for almost a year. Those projections were based on Starfield, Redfall, and STALKER 2 being released in 2022, and Forza in early 2023

This is old news, bro.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70020 Posts
😎
😎

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Next report will show GOAT Starfield increased GP growth by 250%. ;o

But I must admit...

lol :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39398 Posts

LMAO exiting from gaming in 2027 BY THE LATEST.

When your biggest GP game since GP was invented is a lazy and forgettable 7/10 game, how exactly can you grow your service and fanbase? Game quality is suffering so hard because of GP holy crap!

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12341 Posts

Expecting 73% growth is beyond ridiculous.

@dabear said:

They missed their targets because MGS had no 1st party releases for almost a year. Those projections were based on Starfield, Redfall, and STALKER 2 being released in 2022, and Forza in early 2023

This is old news, bro.

They would never hit that target even with all of those games.

Heck, I don't even think they hit that w/ COD Day One.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44358 Posts

I’m so terribly concerned right now.

*Goes back to playing Starfield via Game Pass*

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8272 Posts
@Nonstop-Madness said:

@dabear said:

This is old news, bro.

yeah, the targets used for executive bonus incentives are ridiculously high by design (and for obvious reasons).. this is definitely old (and expected) news..

i think the execs got their bonus for Game Pass in only one year when the service was just doing crazy numbers in growth..

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 514 Posts

Oh no.... I don't know how I will sleep knowing a 48.5 million dollar CEO will get less compensation. It's a travesty, and it certianly effects us all.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dabear

@hardwenzen said:

When your biggest GP game since GP was invented is a lazy and forgettable 7/10 game, how exactly can you grow your service and fanbase? Game quality is suffering so hard because of GP holy crap!

Unlike say, a $70 new release that is only 10 hours long - CGI included?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Starfield is still quite popular. And, you Sony Ponies are still snorting the copium by the barrel over it.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dabear
@Nonstop-Madness said:

@dabear said:

This is old news, bro.

Possibly, but they wouldn't have missed them by the margin that they did.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen  Online

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Starfield is still quite popular. And, you Sony Ponies are still snorting the copium by the barrel over it.

Wut? SPiderman2 sold more in 24h than anything made for the xbox since GP became a thing😎I think its safe to assume that one business model is perfectly functional while the other one is a complete and utter disaster.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GhostOfGolden

Why are people talking about Spider-Man? That wasn't even the best or most successful game that launched last week.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3456 Posts

Until MS actually delivers on the game front they'll keep missing whatever targets they have. And considering how Redfall was a failure and Starfield far from being a unanimously loved AAA, next year they'll miss whatever their unrealistic target they have.

I'm fine either way, one more year playing games in the service. Won't complain. But I'm very concerned, of course.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

@hardwenzen: So your saying that a game that is only available by buying it outright sold more than games available on a subscription service?

Please, tell me more about your fascinating insights.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen  Online

@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: So your saying that a game that is only available by buying it outright sold more than games available on a subscription service?

Please, tell me more about your fascinating insights.

This will be your permanent excuse to damage control poor profits. Next time, NEVER bother talking about sales, cuz as you just implied it yourself, nobody buys shit with MS, they just rent😆6M+ on Steam alone my ass😂😂😂

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16577 Posts

@ghostofgolden: his compensation dropped from 54 million to 48 million? LOL, do you think people this rich care at that point? To me and you, this is a travesty, but for satya and others in his shoes, beyond a certain amount of money, it's just a number and has little meaning. To him, it's just a Tuesday. I'm sure he's had a talk with uncle Phil about the targets and how they plan to reach them.

But as usual, stay salty and butt hurt. We will have the entire AB catalogue on gamepass soon. And we will break into mobile. The only thing holding MS back is the monopoly of apple and Google in phones. I think MS should create some proper smart phones of their own based on Android, customize it and push free 3 months gamepass as an incentive.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Worried about MS guys, seems dire over there. :(

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44629 Posts

He says Xbox will double down on development and publishing. That's good to hear, a much better step moving forward than barbaric corporate bloodletting across the board **cough**Sony**cough**

Curious how good they'll make on the commitment. They have that third party event tomorrow, probably lots of content to look forward to on Game Pass, there's really no need to show Alan Wake 2 but they are, perhaps we'll see that shadow drop the announcement of day one on Game Pass, perhaps they end it with the surprise world premier of GTA6 wirh the cherry on top - day one on Game Pass (i.e. "suck it haters 🖕🤣🖕"... perhaps too hopeful, that'd be awesome though, cows would have a meltdown and demand Sony buy Square Enix or they're walking.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

@hardwenzen: I deffo won’t make any points about sales as stupid as yours. Imagine celebrating sales of a game you don’t even like….comical.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: I deffo won’t make any points about sales as stupid as yours. Imagine celebrating sales of a game you don’t even like….comical.

Imagine not understand why someone might be celebrating sales for a game they aren't buying🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡A successful game WILL see a sequel, and those who enjoy it, will have another game to play. Funny how i had to tell you this, and lets see if there's a sequel for Redfall😁😁😁😁

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11195 Posts

They'll never hit their targets. Game Pass doesn't really seem to be more than a dangling carrot to trick people into getting into the Xbox ecosystem then finally yanking the rug when it bleeds too much, reverting back to the traditional model for bigger titles. It is one hundred percent unsustainable in its current form, but I have no doubt the final purpose is to function as a bait and switch anyway

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Rich dude bummer

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8272 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:

[...]

It is one hundred percent unsustainable in its current form,

[..]

unfortunately for your fanboy narrative, Xbox Game Pass is already profitable..

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1332 Posts

RIP🪦

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11195 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dabear
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

Wut? SPiderman2 sold more in 24h than anything made for the xbox since GP became a thing😎I think its safe to assume that one business model is perfectly functional while the other one is a complete and utter disaster.

It's funny how you counted "Since Game Pass". Halo 4 sold more, in the same time frame, with a smaller user base.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Antwan3K said:

Marcia, you hate facts.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

It's funny how you counted "Since Game Pass". Halo 4 sold more, in the same time frame, with a smaller user base.

Halo 4 was released on the 360, and it had a smaller userbase? The fk???? What are you talking about, dabear?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

I'm sure most people only subscribe to gamepass short term when a new game hits. I see no point in subscribing long term.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dabear

@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:

Halo 4 was released on the 360, and it had a smaller userbase? The fk???? What are you talking about, dabear?

Oops. I goofed. And, I admit my mistakes.

There are more PS5s sold right now than 360s in 2011. I thought Halo 4 was released in 2011, not 2012.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6421 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Look i'm no fan of Gamepass that much is clear, but your unhealthy obsession with it is off the charts.

I think that if you make another bet and lose, when you come back you should be called GamepassGolden 🤣

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

I'm sure most people only subscribe to gamepass short term when a new game hits. I see no point in subscribing long term.

Typically you can get up to 2 years using a conversion trick and MS rewards. It cuts off a lot of the costs of subscribing to it long term if you do this but most people aren't going to do this.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GhostOfGolden

@last_lap said:

@ghostofgolden: Look i'm no fan of Gamepass that much is clear, but your unhealthy obsession with it is off the charts.

I think that if you make another bet and lose, when you come back you should be called GamepassGolden 🤣

I like it

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Never feel sorry for millionaires.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45323 Posts

Wow…

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

A darn shame . I was hoping their would be good news for lems after the starfield flopping debacle

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56278 Posts

Game Pass maybe good but there are few gamers who likes to buy their games rather then renting them and I'm one of those gamers who like to buy'em and adding them to my gaming collection. Game Pass has its place, but it really all depends on what games you wanna play on the service.

Game Pass growth will always bounce up or down, it really depends what game is one it to make it worth the consumers interest.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 851 Posts

Microsoft owns ABK now. Game Pass will grow like crazy in upcoming years.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3740 Posts

It's an overpriced, low value service filled with Indie garbage. Even PS+ Extra is better. I am not surprised to read this. The Xbox brand has always been a disappointment to both gamers and investors. Eventually, investors will punish the company for not hitting targets and hopefully both will fade away to the dustbin of history. Sony, Nintendo, and PC devs are all the market needs.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

This tells us basically nothing about the future of Game Pass. Doesn't look awesome for them right now I guess, that's about it.

Personally, I find subscriptions like these annoying and wouldn't mind at all if they disappeared. I'd much rather have demos of games to try before buying. I guess it's because I don't play one game at a time and only once. I like to take my time with games I find to be good. Sometimes I also like to pause a game. I don't want to constantly worry about getting my value worth in time.

@tjandmia said:

Even PS+ Extra is better.

lol. Let's not exaggerate.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

So now I should start caring about CEO's monetary compensations?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70020 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

According to OP.🤭

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

@Pedro said:

According to OP.🤭

Cows having to pay 70-80 dollary doos for 10 hour movies while PC and Xbox gamers feast on monthly bangers for a low price of $1-15 has really lit a match to these forums, these daily meltdown threads are entertaining to say the least.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@Pedro: Mr Concerned is at it again. XD

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GhostOfGolden
@R4gn4r0k said:

No. But it’s through missed KPI’s that we know Game Pass missed another growth target. And now Game Pass growth is not a KPI moving forward.

I know y’all see rich people making millions of dollars and you get in your feelings.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Poo cows. lol :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#49 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

Good! About time MS had some damage against them after recent buyouts.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45323 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:

According to OP.🤭

Cows having to pay 70-80 dollary doos for 10 hour movies while PC and Xbox gamers feast on monthly bangers for a low price of $1-15 has really lit a match to these forums, these daily meltdown threads are entertaining to say the least.

Translation: “guys, i don’t get to play the best games at launch, but look at this $5 game I got from a game released 5 years ago!”