Xbox ONE is proof that "custom-made" does not mean better

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XboxFails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XboxFails
Member since 2013 • 239 Posts

The only thing that "custom-made" branding does is trick morons into thinking they're buying something that's "balanced".

The PS4 and the Xbox 360 are proof that outsourcing is better than designing silicon in-house. Next time, Microsoft should outsource their entire hardware R&D to AMD and then REBRAND the components so that Xbots think Microsoft was the one who engineered the components.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

damn, you made an account just to post this shit?

XboxFails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By XboxFails

@mems_1224 said:

You may think I'm pathetic, but I share that same feeling for you xboners. Just how embarrassing do you think it is to be a lemming right now? All that talk about how Microsoft was going to crush SONY with their $80 billion in liquid assets and what do you guys have to show after all that confidence and bravado? We got nothing but a string of disappointments ever since the Xbone's reveal on May.

"SONY is just a repackager,."

"Microsoft put $3 billion for in-house silicon design. SONY's vanilla AMD processors are no match."

"Microsoft's custom-made dGPU will crush SONY's vanilla AMD 7870."

Man, I'm laughing at all of you xbots.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224

@XboxFails said:

@mems_1224 said:

You may think I'm pathetic, but that feeling is mutual. Just how embarrassing do you think it is to be a lemming right now. All that talk about how Microsoft was going to crush SONY with their $80 billion in liquid assets and we got nothing but a string of disappointments ever since the Xbone's reveal on May.

"Microsoft put $3 billion for in-house silicon design. SONY's vanilla AMD processors are no match."

I never said you were pathetic but if thats how you feel about yourself.......

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#5 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

K.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e66f5999640
deactivated-63e66f5999640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-63e66f5999640
Member since 2005 • 495 Posts

A little too soon in the console life, oh wait IT HASN'T STARTED YET!

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12325 Posts

I think balanced was the wrong term for Microsoft to use. You honestly think Sony didn't think about balance? Microsoft is basically trying to get away from the fact that the PS4 is a more powerful machine. They just don't want anyone to think that Sony outsmarted them.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

The PS4 definitely has the X1 beat hardwarewise. MS did themselves in even more by trying anticonsumer crap that allowed Sony to embaress them at E3. It all means Sony will have a way easier time winning this coming gen. Sony came back from way behind with the PS3. MS giving sony this kind of advantage will allow Sony to cruise through this coming gen. And Nintendo did both MS and Sony a favor by bombing hard.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Ps3 was proof of that.

XboxFails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By XboxFails

@Nonstop-Madness said:

I think balanced was the wrong term for Microsoft to use. You honestly think Sony didn't think about balance? Microsoft is basically trying to get away from the fact that the PS4 is a more powerful machine. They just don't want anyone to think that Sony outsmarted them.

Well, this isn't really about Microsoft's marketing. It's about all the xbots thinking that in-house development is better than outsourcing. It's kinda obvious that SONY's silicon was engineered and designed by AMD. SONY's only control in the design of their silicon is deciding budget and which of AMD's technology they wanted to use. That's why their PS4 hardware R&D was unusually low.

Microsoft had to spent $3 billion on R&D because their type of silicon hasn't been done on traditional PCs. Despite being custom-made, the Xbone's design is an even bigger clusterf*ck than the PS3's. The eSRAM is a gigantic bottleneck similar to the PS3's split memory pool. While the PS4's full UMA GDDR5 design will allow developers to be flexible with the amount of memory they allocate to frame buffers, the the Xbone will always be limited to 32 mb for its frame buffer. IE. KZ: SF is using 49 mb for its framebuffer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

Xbox 3rd party games will improve in time. Cod isnt even using the esram and Im sure they will work that in next year. I certainly am not embarrassed as a future owner of an XB1, nor my PS4, WiiU, PC, 3ds, vita, etc. Last gen my PS3 had the worst multiplatform performance for most of the generation, but I didn't cry about it....Somehow I think XB1 owners will be just fine with their purchase.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@clr84651 said:

The PS4 definitely has the X1 beat hardwarewise. MS did themselves in even more by trying anticonsumer crap that allowed Sony to embaress them at E3. It all means Sony will have a way easier time winning this coming gen. Sony came back from way behind with the PS3. MS giving sony this kind of advantage will allow Sony to cruise through this coming gen. And Nintendo did both MS and Sony a favor by bombing hard.

I look forward to seeing the reply from the first lemming hating on what you just said. Let me help you out a bit.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

You mad?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@UNcartMe said:

@mems_1224 said:

You mad?

He will be tomorrow when the Texans lose again.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UNcartMe

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@UNcartMe said:

@mems_1224 said:

You mad?

That's a given. He is probably prepared.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224

@UNcartMe said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@UNcartMe said:

@mems_1224 said:

You mad?

Damn, I must have made yall really mad for yall to have to go into every thread I post in and make some bad troll attempts. lol

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

It's called over engineering.

That's why it's a POS.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UNcartMe

@mems_1224 said:

@UNcartMe said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@UNcartMe said:

@mems_1224 said:

You mad?

Damn, I must have made yall really mad for yall to have to go into every thread I post in and make some bad troll attempts. lol

You are the only one LOLing right now. Sad unfunny foreveralone Texan bandwagon lem bro. I can see the pain in your posts. Let it out brother, let it out.

Thunder7151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Thunder7151
Member since 2013 • 456 Posts

The XBOX ONE may end up having better graphics than the PS4 this upcoming gen due to ESRAM + Tiled Resources + DirectX 11.2 + Cloud.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@XboxFails said:

@mems_1224 said:

You may think I'm pathetic, but I share that same feeling for you xboners. Just how embarrassing do you think it is to be a lemming right now? All that talk about how Microsoft was going to crush SONY with their $80 billion in liquid assets and what do you guys have to show after all that confidence and bravado? We got nothing but a string of disappointments ever since the Xbone's reveal on May.

Man, I'm laughing at fanboys like you.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts

So...who's smurf account is this?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

nothing custom made about either console.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@XboxFails said:

The only thing that "custom-made" branding does is trick morons into thinking they're buying something that's "balanced".

The PS4 and the Xbox 360 are proof that outsourcing is better than designing silicon in-house. Next time, Microsoft should outsource their entire hardware R&D to AMD and then REBRAND the components so that Xbots think Microsoft was the one who engineered the components.

It's still MS that selected the components from AMD's IP pool.

MS could have stayed with the following PC hardware build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1WzId

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 740 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($67.00 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Biostar A55MD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($38.25 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($63.75 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($163.98 @ Newegg)

Case: HEC Enterprise MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($9.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: CoolMax 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $431.93 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-03 02:49 EST-0500).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_4_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark,7.html

"monitor resolution of 1600x1200 - again all tests have DX11 / Ultra Quality mode with 2xMSAA enabled and HBAO"

Note the 7870 GE's 1600x1200p vs PS4's 1600x900p result.

7870 GE = 2.56 TFLOPS (from 20 CU), 153 GB/s memory bandwidth

7870 XT = 2.995 TFLOPS (from 24 CU), 192 GB/s memory bandwidth

If MS is worried about 8 GB of GDDR5, then they should have mirrored with the above PC build and spent that 5 billion transistors budget on GCN with greater than 20 CUs.

A PC with 2GB GDDR5 high speed memory is better than 32 MB ESRAM.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@XboxFails said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Well, this isn't really about Microsoft's marketing. It's about all the xbots thinking that in-house development is better than outsourcing. It's kinda obvious that SONY's silicon was engineered and designed by AMD. SONY's only control in the design of their silicon is deciding budget and which of AMD's technology they wanted to use. That's why their PS4 hardware R&D was unusually low.

Microsoft had to spent $3 billion on R&D because their type of silicon hasn't been done on traditional PCs. Despite being custom-made, the Xbone's design is an even bigger clusterf*ck than the PS3's. The eSRAM is a gigantic bottleneck similar to the PS3's split memory pool. While the PS4's full UMA GDDR5 design will allow developers to be flexible with the amount of memory they allocate to frame buffers, the the Xbone will always be limited to 32 mb for its frame buffer. IE. KZ: SF is using 49 mb for its framebuffer.

Unlike Xbox 360, Xbone's frame buffer can spill over into DDR3 memory pool. The overspill to DDR3 will reduced performance.

Note that you can have UMA (unified memory address) with asymmetric memory controllers.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#26  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Thunder7151 said:

The XBOX ONE may end up having better graphics than the PS4 this upcoming gen due to ESRAM + Tiled Resources + DirectX 11.2 + Cloud.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

No Caption Provided

PS4 supports PRT (Tiled Resources) as well. It's nothing exclusive. Xbox is more likely to use the method more because it's gimped memory bandwith...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/314007-Next-Gen-Consoles-and-Partially-Resident-Textures-%28PRT%29

http://gamenmotion.blogspot.com/2013/09/playstation-4-partially-resident.html

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Heil68 said:

nothing custom made about either console.

MS says their CPU was heavily customized.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047482/xbox-ones-massive-custom-cpu-can-pick-you-out-of-a-lineup.html

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

PS4 is nothing but a PC (and a weak one by pc standards) in a box. What you see now is nearly 80% maxed out. The XB1 is a real custom made fine tuned console which will take a while for the SDKs to mature so devs can take advantage of it. What you are seeing now is probably 50% of what it can do, I bet BF4 and COD are hardly even using the extra juice from the over clock and the ESRAM.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@XboxFails said:

@mems_1224 said:

You know the whole 3 billion crap included money for chips to right.? It wasn't R&D alone which was also done on PS4.

The PS4 GPU apparently was heavily modified for compute the xbox one GPU wasn't,MS faced more problems because they wanted a bunch of crap like ESRAM inside the APU,the xbox one GPU is more vanilla than the PS4 one.

There is no dGPU crap of sh** like that it is a gimped 7790.