Xbox Live is over-praised and over-priced

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Doctor-McNinja
Member since 2009 • 1515 Posts

1) It's not worth the money

"But it's like the same cost as one game for a whole year, what are you poor?" If someone tried to sell you shoelace insurance, arguing that it's only the cost of one pair of shoes for a whole year, would you sign up? Heck no. I dont care how cheap it is in comparison to something else, tell me why i should pay for it.

$50 is the absolute maxium Microsoft could get away with, not a figure which seems like you're getting value for your money. Just because people pay it doesn't mean they're happy to. I paid £50 for a pair of jeans yesterday, but that doesn't mean i was happy about it.

2) You dont really get anything for your money

Before you list off a zillion features and the billions upon billions of things available on the marketplace - i know, but all of that is available to silver members too. So if i'm not paying for all that stuff what am i paying for? The ability to play games online. Which microsoft has no involvement in, save the xbox live servers which host your gamertag/achievement info and what-not.

And what other features are offered to you for your money? Microsoft decided gold members get demos before silver members. So if you're a silver member, a demo will come out on the marketplace and it'll have big red restricted logo on it which wont go away for a few days. That's not giving gold members anything. You still get the demo on the same day exactly as you did before. All that does is annoy and screw over silver members.

3) Dedicated servers

Every developer aint bungie, and every game aint Halo. Not everyone has the time, the money and the talent to make an online game work as well as Halo does.

Gears of War = laggy, buggy, frustrating online.

Modern Warfare 2 = laggy, buggy, frustrating online.

When i'm paying a premium just to play games online, they should play flawlessly. Laggy, unreliable games simply aren't acceptable.

Conclusion; if you're going to charge people $50 for something, they should know exactly what they get for that money. A microsoft rep couldn't tell me what i get for my $50, nor could anyone here. I am basically charged to play my games online, on a console i paid for, with a disc i paid for, and on an internet connection i paid for. It's like charging you to wear your clothes after you've bought them.

What they can do to fix it:

1) Leave it as it is and cut it to $25 a year

2) Actually GIVE you something for your $50, like dedicated servers on all first party games, early access to beta tests or arcade games at discounted prices.

I_AM_MEGATRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 I_AM_MEGATRON
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts

4) annoying avatars. hate those things!!!

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Agreed. I never thought it was fair how MS locks away the MP section of a game just to scam their consumers $50 just to play a part of a game that they have already paid for. PSN works well enough for me and it's free. MS better start thinking a new stuff to make that money seem justified

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

4) annoying avatars. hate those things!!!

I_AM_MEGATRON
5) people who buy clothes for their annoying avatars.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
It's still a better service than PSN, and the monthly fee is cheap.
Peiner09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Peiner09
Member since 2009 • 722 Posts

I really like xbox live.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
It's still a better service than PSN, and the monthly fee is cheap.racing1750
$50 ... cheap. >.>
Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Doctor-McNinja
It's still a better service than PSN, and the monthly fee is cheap.racing1750
That's exactly my point; just because something is the best doesn't mean it's awesome. I'm probably the best artist in the room right now out of me, a cat and my niece but i wouldn't expect people to pay for my paintings. And just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's worth the money.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="racing1750"]It's still a better service than PSN, and the monthly fee is cheap.Doctor-McNinja
That's exactly my point; just because something is the best doesn't mean it's awesome. I'm probably the best artist in the room right now out of me, a cat and my niece but i wouldn't expect people to pay for my paintings. And just because something is cheap doesn't mean it's worth the money.

I'd buy your paintings :)

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 racing1750
[QUOTE="racing1750"]It's still a better service than PSN, and the monthly fee is cheap.SAGE_OF_FIRE
$50 ... cheap. >.>

*sighs* you don't have to pay the full price at once, you can pay for XBL per month which is 5 pounds here in the uk, and thats dirt cheap.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 racing1750
[QUOTE="racing1750"]It's still a better service than PSN, and the monthly fee is cheap.Doctor-McNinja

Hmm yeh, well i have both systems, and XBL is worth that small monthly fee :)
Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Doctor-McNinja

Hmm yeh, well i have both systems, and XBL is worth that small monthly fee :)racing1750
Really? What do you get for your £60 a year than exactly?

Maxmus050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maxmus050
Member since 2009 • 1248 Posts

[QUOTE="racing1750"]It's still a better service than PSN, and the monthly fee is cheap.SAGE_OF_FIRE
$50 ... cheap. >.>

30 euro for a whole year on ebay isnt that expensive..
But ye when you pay for something before you can play online it must be good. ( while there are still many problems/lag issues whit online play )

The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts
$50 ... cheap. >.>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't $50 the total price for XBL in 1 year?
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

and what are your thoughts on the proposed subscription for PSN by Sony

lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

i agree. while it is the best online service on consoles, people act like its the best thing since sliced bread...when it fails in comparison to the dedicated servers found on pc games.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 racing1750

[QUOTE="racing1750"] Hmm yeh, well i have both systems, and XBL is worth that small monthly fee :)Doctor-McNinja

err, a great service?
adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

I considered buying a 360 to play with all my friends, but paying to pay online is a big NO NO!!!

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

2 more things that grind my gears- no predictive text tool for messages and the on-screen keyboard is arranged alphabetically. It notifies you when friends come online but not when they go offline. PSN does/has both these things, from launch. And (in my experience) offers a smoother online performance.

I'm one of those who know it's somewhat of a scam but has paid for it for years and will continue to. MS must love customers like me :P

*sighs* you don't have to pay the full price at once, you can pay for XBL per month which is 5 pounds here in the uk, and thats dirt cheap.racing1750

That would work out to 60.00 per year... you could almost buy 2 brand new games for that price. It's cheaper to pay it all at once.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

i guess some people just want the best service and are prepared to pay to get it, there ain't nothing wrong with that, and suprisingly MS is a business and wants to make money (i know, shocking isn't it) i don't play online, cause i choose not to pay for XBL, becuase online isn't my thing, just remember, free online is a privilege not an entitlement and if people don't like paying for XBL then don't buy a 360, simples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="racing1750"]It's still a better service than PSN, and the monthly fee is cheap.The-Mosher
$50 ... cheap. >.>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't $50 the total price for XBL in 1 year?

So spending $50 on what is essentially your own connection is cheap? For what your getting $50 isn't cheap.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 racing1750
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

2 more things that grind my gears- no predictive text tool for messages and the on-screen keyboard is arranged alphabetically. It notifies you when friends come online but not when they go offline. PSN does/has both these things, from launch. And (in my experience) offers a smoother online performance.

I'm one of those who know it's somewhat of a scam but has paid for it for years and will continue to. MS must love customers like me :P

*sighs* you don't have to pay the full price at once, you can pay for XBL per month which is 5 pounds here in the uk, and thats dirt cheap.racing1750

That would work out to 60.00 per year... you could almost buy 2 brand new games for that price. It's cheaper to pay it all at once.

True, but obviously if i can't afford to pay it at once, then i need to pay monthly.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's worth it to me.I enjoy the services that it offers. Plus,I usually pay about 30$ (USD) a year for it. I almost always find some deal online - walmart, bestbuy, etc. where they sell a year's subscription card for 30$ or less. It pays to look around.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Doctor-McNinja
[QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"]

[QUOTE="racing1750"] Hmm yeh, well i have both systems, and XBL is worth that small monthly fee :)racing1750

err, a great service?

How? Explain to me what they give you for your money.
Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Doctor-McNinja
i guess some people just want the best service and are prepared to pay to get it, there ain't nothing wrong with that, and suprisingly MS is a business and wants to make money (i know, shocking isn't it) i don't play online, cause i choose not to pay for XBL, becuase online isn't my thing, just remember, free online is a privilege not an entitlement and if people don't like paying for XBL then don't buy a 360, simplesdelta3074
'If you dont like it dont buy it!' could be applied to any argument on this board. If that's the logic, why not shut down system wars right now? It's not a 'privilege' at all. These companies survive because of consumers, and consumers shouldn't be ripped off and treated unfairly as they are all the time by all kinds of big corporations. Xbox Live is just one example of people being ripped off.
ozzdog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 ozzdog123
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
The only thing I dont like is pricing for DLC....I mean come on....cheapen it up. Im talking for PS3 and Live But on regards to Live. I have both PSN and Live and can honestly say Live is better, if only for Rule 32: Enjoy the Little things................. like party chat(works wonders when playing MW2) etc
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 racing1750

[QUOTE="racing1750"][QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"] Really? What do you get for your £60 a year than exactly?

Doctor-McNinja

err, a great service?

1. excellent interface

2. the ability to talk to my friends where ever i am

3. XBL marketplace has a ton of content compared to PSN

maybe you think it's expensive, but 5 pounds a month is nothing, and i could pay it all at once for 30 pounds.

harjyotbanwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 harjyotbanwait
Member since 2008 • 398 Posts

Compared with Steam, definitely.

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#30 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

[QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"][QUOTE="racing1750"] err, a great service?racing1750

1. excellent interface

maybe you think it's expensive, but 5 pounds a month is nothing, and i could pay it all at once for 30 pounds.

You can do that AND get dedicated servers on PC for free. Now that you compare it to something, it's not that great of a service.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

To make a list against PS3's list of selling points. I don't think MS would make " Only $50 a year online" one of them. The Live price is what many would call a hidden fee.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts
[QUOTE="delta3074"]i guess some people just want the best service and are prepared to pay to get it, there ain't nothing wrong with that, and suprisingly MS is a business and wants to make money (i know, shocking isn't it) i don't play online, cause i choose not to pay for XBL, becuase online isn't my thing, just remember, free online is a privilege not an entitlement and if people don't like paying for XBL then don't buy a 360, simplesDoctor-McNinja
'If you dont like it dont buy it!' could be applied to any argument on this board. If that's the logic, why not shut down system wars right now? It's not a 'privilege' at all. These companies survive because of consumers, and consumers shouldn't be ripped off and treated unfairly as they are all the time by all kinds of big corporations. Xbox Live is just one example of people being ripped off.

Seriously stop your whining. No one cares if you like or dislike the fees for XBL. Like 1 poster said "If you don't like it, don't pay for it". No point in whining on a gaming forum. It's an option not a requirement.
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts
I agree, people like to make it seem its miles better but they are only trying to justify their 50 bucks.
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

seems like most of the people that have issues with XBL dont actually use it. i couldnt care less how people decide to spend their money and im not hipocritical enough to sit here and criticise them either.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Doctor-McNinja
[QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"][QUOTE="delta3074"]i guess some people just want the best service and are prepared to pay to get it, there ain't nothing wrong with that, and suprisingly MS is a business and wants to make money (i know, shocking isn't it) i don't play online, cause i choose not to pay for XBL, becuase online isn't my thing, just remember, free online is a privilege not an entitlement and if people don't like paying for XBL then don't buy a 360, simpleskingtito

Seriously stop your whining. No one cares if you like or dislike the fees for XBL. Like 1 poster said "If you don't like it, don't pay for it". No point in whining on a gaming forum. It's an option not a requirement.

That just isn't an argument. Your logic is that if anyone says anything bad about anything they should 'stop whining and dont buy it'. What's the point of system wars then? If nobody is allowed to criticise anything, why is this forum here? It says a lot for the counter-argument here that the only response is basically 'um, shut up'.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

every thing you said is subjective.

Dedicated servers do not equal 0 lag

gears of war I played gears of war and didn't have much lag or bug issues the same with gears of war 2.

Lag, Bugs exist in the ps3 version of MW2...

I find xbox live to be worth the 50 dollars a year well 30 dollar a year i pay, enough that i've been a part of since the beta in i believe if memory servs me november 2002, and have it paid till 2011.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Doctor-McNinja

[QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"][QUOTE="racing1750"] err, a great service?racing1750

1. excellent interface

'interface'? You mean the menus? Dont they come with the console? :? And Marketplace is free, anyone can access it like i said earlier. So your answer is 'i can talk to my friends'. You pay £60 a year for voice chat.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Doctor-McNinja

every thing you said is subjective.

Dedicated servers do not equal 0 lag

gears of war I played gears of war and didn't have much lag or bug issues the same with gears of war 2.

Lag, Bugs exist in the ps3 version of MW2...

I find xbox live to be worth the 50 dollars a year well 30 dollar a year i pay, enough that i've been a part of since the beta in i believe if memory servs me november 2002, and have it paid till 2011.

WilliamRLBaker

Lag is not subjective. I did not say dedicated servers = 0 lag, but games running on dedicated servers are more reliable than those which are not, generally speaking. As for Gears of War, i have to ask what game did you play, because it was different from the one everyone else did. Gears of War was notorious for host advantage and bullet lag, and Gears of War 2 was more or less unplayable for a while until the patches started coming in.

rsoxguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 rsoxguy12
Member since 2007 • 1602 Posts

And on top of the $50, you may need to pay $100 more for a wireless adapter depending on the location of the system in your house. So some people out there are paying $100 + $50 per year to play online.

I also think it's funny when people claim that the XBLA is a reason that XBL is worth their money. Why pay $50 to gain access to something that's $5 or $10?

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
[QUOTE="Doctor-McNinja"]

1) It's not worth the money

"But it's like the same cost as one game for a whole year, what are you poor?" If someone tried to sell you shoelace insurance, arguing that it's only the cost of one pair of shoes for a whole year, would you sign up? Heck no. I dont care how cheap it is in comparison to something else, tell me why i should pay for it.

$50 is the absolute maxium Microsoft could get away with, not a figure which seems like you're getting value for your money. Just because people pay it doesn't mean they're happy to. I paid £50 for a pair of jeans yesterday, but that doesn't mean i was happy about it.

2) You dont really get anything for your money

Before you list off a zillion features and the billions upon billions of things available on the marketplace - i know, but all of that is available to silver members too. So if i'm not paying for all that stuff what am i paying for? The ability to play games online. Which microsoft has no involvement in, save the xbox live servers which host your gamertag/achievement info and what-not.

And what other features are offered to you for your money? Microsoft decided gold members get demos before silver members. So if you're a silver member, a demo will come out on the marketplace and it'll have big red restricted logo on it which wont go away for a few days. That's not giving gold members anything. You still get the demo on the same day exactly as you did before. All that does is annoy and screw over silver members.

3) Dedicated servers

Every developer aint bungie, and every game aint Halo. Not everyone has the time, the money and the talent to make an online game work as well as Halo does.

Gears of War = laggy, buggy, frustrating online.

Modern Warfare 2 = laggy, buggy, frustrating online.

When i'm paying a premium just to play games online, they should play flawlessly. Laggy, unreliable games simply aren't acceptable.

Conclusion; if you're going to charge people $50 for something, they should know exactly what they get for that money. A microsoft rep couldn't tell me what i get for my $50, nor could anyone here. I am basically charged to play my games online, on a console i paid for, with a disc i paid for, and on an internet connection i paid for. It's like charging you to wear your clothes after you've bought them.

What they can do to fix it:

1) Leave it as it is and cut it to $25 a year

2) Actually GIVE you something for your $50, like dedicated servers on all first party games, early access to beta tests or arcade games at discounted prices.

correct me if im wrong but didnt sony start charging once they figured in CGC to their online service also? so there u go.....u actually are only paying for cgc...look at it that way....they just try to cover it with other stuff i guess...
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
When was its 50 dollars a year, I thought it like 4.14 a month. :/
Modern_Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Modern_Unit
Member since 2010 • 1511 Posts

When was its 50 dollars a year, I thought it like 4.14 a month. :/ArisShadows

13 months for $39 @ amazon for me....thats $3/month.....i could find more while volunteering at my hospital this sunday in three hours

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I have to agree. I used XBL for Demos and Online only, then when my subscription was up I stopped using it...it wasn't worth paying money. I get free online on the PC.

Doctor-McNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Doctor-McNinja
Not to sound smug here, but i think i've proven a point. I've basically been told to stop complaining and dont buy it if i dont like it. Nobody has said anything to convince me that i SHOULD buy it, which says a lot.
Modern_Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Modern_Unit
Member since 2010 • 1511 Posts

Not to sound smug here, but i think i've proven a point. I've basically been told to stop complaining and dont buy it if i dont like it. Nobody has said anything to convince me that i SHOULD buy it, which says a lot. Doctor-McNinja

Yes,yes...if by proving your point you meant you hated an online service, then yes you have indeed proven your pont

KodiakGTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KodiakGTS
Member since 2003 • 1262 Posts

If you look at it in terms of what you get by having a silver membership and then compare that to what you get for a gold membership, you're right, it is overpriced. But that isn't how the business works. Lets look at some of the selling points of Xbox Live over PSN:

1) Completely integrated online service with socialfocus, likecross game party chat, party watch for Netflix, 1 vs 100 Live.
2) First to get Netflix, a better Netflix integration, has Twitter and Facebook integration.
3) More Demos, Arcade Games, Indie Games
4) More exclusive DLC and Community Events

You know what all of those have in common? They all cost MS $$$. The ability to design and scale outservice features, find and integrate new outside services for XBL users to experience, provide better rates for content publishers to promote more content than PSN, run interactive events like 1 vs 100 Live, and negotiate exclusive DLC contracts with publishers, they are all things MS puts money into in order to improve XBL.

Yes, XBL silver members get to enjoy many of the benefits mentioned above without paying a cent, but I would argue that without the large number of gold subscribers providing funding, many of these things wouldn't be the great features that they are today. Do I think a lower price point is justified? Absolutely, I would love to see them drop it $10-15. Do I feel like I'm getting ripped off by paying for it? Absolutely not.

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#48 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

If you look at it in terms of what you get by having a silver membership and then compare that to what you get for a gold membership, you're right, it is overpriced. But that isn't how this works. Lets look at some of the selling points of Xbox Live over PSN:

1) Completely integrated online service with socialfocus, likecross game party chat, party watch for Netflix, 1 vs 100 Live.
2) First to get Netflix, a better Netflix integration, has Twitter and Facebook integration.
3) More Demos, Arcade Games, Indie Games
4) More exclusive DLC and Community Events

You know what allof those have in common? They all cost MS $$$. The ability to design and scale out integrated service features, find and integratenew services for XBL users to experience, provide better rates for content publishers to promote more content than PSN, run interactive events like 1 vs 100 Live, and negotiate exclusive DLC contracts with publishers, they are all things MS puts money into in order to improve XBL.

Yes, XBL silver members get to enjoy many of the benefits mentioned above without paying a cent, but I would argue that without the large number of gold subscribers providing funding, many of these things wouldn't be the great features that they are today. Do I think a lower price point is justified? Absolutely, I would love to see them drop it $10-15. Do I feel like I'm getting ripped off by paying for it? Absolutely not.

KodiakGTS

Again, everything you mentioned is completely FREE on PC, in addition to dedicated servers. This thread is not about PSN vs. XBLG, it's about the value of Xbox Live Gold.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Microsoft is doing something right as what 10-25 million people pay for xbl.

But honestly i don't see why people fight over stupid points. Your never going to win.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

xbox live is b/a...besides the ppl that stereotype race on their(no offense anyone)