xbox 360 with jasper chipset finally out! RROD is no more!!

• 193 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Mad_Rhetoric-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Mad_Rhetoric-
Member since 2008 • 1765 Posts

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16440

If you're wondering what is exactly Jasper is, and what it has to do with the Xbox 360, we'd suggest referring to our prior in-depth analysis.

For those in the know, you'll be aware that the search for a Jasper Xbox 360 console has been underway for many months. Jasper, successor to Falcon, brings with it the promise of a GPU shrink down to 65nm, and hope of a cooler, quieter console that isn't susceptible to the infamous RROD.

Up until now, that search has proven fruitless. Today, we've got our first real glimpse of Jasper consoles in the wild. Over at the Xbox Scene forums, two community members have posted images of new Xbox 360 consoles that come bundled with revised 150W power supplies. That's 25W less than the power supply bundled with Falcon consoles, and almost certain proof that these are indeed the first two Jasper units to be identified.

In fear of voiding their warranty, neither user is willing to crack open their consoles in order to provide a look at the 65nm GPU we presume is sitting inside. Nevertheless, the images provide manufacturing dates that suggest any console produced after October 23rd 2008 will contain the less power-hungry innards. The console pictured carries a lot number of 0843X, from manufacturing team FDOU.

If you're on the lookout for a Jasper console, look for the all-important manufacturing date. If that isn't enough, ask a retailer to open the box so you can check for the 150W power supply before you make your purchase. All we need now is someone to pry open a box so we can all take a peek inside and see what else has changed.

With my own Xbox 360 currently heading to Microsoft's German repair centre, I'm pinning my hopes on a Jasper replacement.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"The persisting Red Ring of Death (RRoD) hardware failures have been bothering Microsoft lately and they had to go through large console replacements. Those chips were based on 90nm process while the new Jasper chips will be 65nm process built. The new Jasper boards features the 65nm (nanometers) GPU and CPU chips. The result is an Xbox 360 that uses less power and runs cooler and quieter. This will overcome the heating issue that the previous Xbox 360 consoles with 90nm process chipsets had. Hopefully these will mean an end to the RRoD."

----------------------------------------------

Im picking one up next month :)

TOOLFRENZY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TOOLFRENZY
Member since 2004 • 571 Posts
We'll see how this works out, there won't be a price increase will there?
deathtoallgods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deathtoallgods
Member since 2007 • 577 Posts
Doubt that will end RRoD, MS need to implement it into every system doing it this way is rubbish(TRUTH)SonyMarksman70
Wonderful point, except that your opinion doesn't count. On topic, I will own a Jasper Elite soon.
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts
Doubt that will end RRoD, MS need to implement it into every system doing it this way is rubbish(TRUTH)SonyMarksman70
Yeah..this is a really stupid idea, Why do the new folks get there's 360's RROD free, Ive had my 360 for a long time, and i say they should take mine and upgrade it, this is BS..im not buying ANOTHER 360 just to fix MS's stupid problem, idiots.
Hitman533

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hitman533
Member since 2008 • 642 Posts
Keep dreaming:lol:
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
This is not the end of RRoD. Nothing will be unless MS disables the lights on the 360s.
ovechkin08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ovechkin08
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts
might actually pick up a 360 now, around christmas that is. but ill have to wait, and take words from people who have bought this model and make sure if it really has gotten rid of RRoD.
-Mad_Rhetoric-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Mad_Rhetoric-
Member since 2008 • 1765 Posts
[QUOTE="SonyMarksman70"]Doubt that will end RRoD, MS need to implement it into every system doing it this way is rubbish(TRUTH)Pinkyimp
Yeah..this is a really stupid idea, Why do the new folks get there's 360's RROD free, Ive had my 360 for a long time, and i say they should take mine and upgrade it, this is BS..im not buying ANOTHER 360 just to fix MS's stupid problem, idiots.

there not going to replace your with a new one if your current system your fine, PS my replacement unit from last year is still going strong
PrimusGears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PrimusGears
Member since 2008 • 1594 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]This is not the end of RRoD. Nothing will be unless MS disables the lights on the 360s.TOOLFRENZY

true

I remember hearing about the jasper when the falcon came out as the right design and the real fix. It finally has arrived.

CageFighter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CageFighter9
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Time will tell. The new chipset hasn't proven anything yet, and it only took three years for Microsoft to try and get it right. We'll see if they did what they should have done in the beginning this time.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts
Well the Falcon model rarely RRoDs, so if the Jasper is even smaller you can say that its virtually gone. I've actually been waiting for the jaspers before I buy a new 360.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
We'll see how this works out, there won't be a price increase will there?TOOLFRENZY
Why would there be a pricve increase? Smaller chipsets are cheaper top make. IF anything the price will go down.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts
[QUOTE="Pinkyimp"][QUOTE="SonyMarksman70"]Doubt that will end RRoD, MS need to implement it into every system doing it this way is rubbish(TRUTH)-Mad_Rhetoric-

there not going to replace your with a new one if your current system your fine, PS my replacement unit from last year is still going strong

Dont buy a new one for them... If you get RROD your warranty is exended I think, so if it breaks, get them to replace it. Its not our ault MS skrewed up.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

am sorry but this thread brings only good news to any gamers who intend to buy for the first time and Xbox360... i couldnt care less since i already have one with an older chipset which can get RROD anytime (fingers crossed it wont :) )....

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
We'll see how this works out, there won't be a price increase will there?TOOLFRENZY
If anything, they will only decrease
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

THIS doesn't PROVE that RROD and E-74 are no more, it's just is speculation....on speculated sightings.

JEEZ!

Even when Jasper is out, WE WILL Have to WAIT AND SEE if RROD and E-74 go away, not ASSUME.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
power output 150W huh.... does it still need that power brick? the 360 i own has an output of 203W
grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 grubsomefood
Member since 2008 • 278 Posts

Took them long enough to make the damn gpu 65nm.

had my 65nm die/process 8800 GT 512 mb since last year.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FirstDiscovery
Well the Falcon model rarely RRoDs, so if the Jasper is even smaller you can say that its virtually gone. I've actually been waiting for the jaspers before I buy a new 360. Blue-Sky
Oh trust me, nothing will convince the Cows, not even getting rid of the problem itself...
grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 grubsomefood

Im not afraid of getting RROD i know i wont ever get it....because i dont let my console get hot.

but what iam afraid of is my dvd rom drive dying....

the 360 i have was bought in early 2006.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FirstDiscovery
power output 150W huh.... does it still need that power brick? the 360 i own has an output of 203Wst1ka
Nope the brick still exists, just uses less power

THIS doesn't PROVE that RROD and E-74 are no more, it's just is speculation....on speculated sightings.

JEEZ!

Even when Jasper is out, WE WILL Have to WAIT AND SEE if RROD and E-74 go away, not ASSUME.

SolidTy
And how so, the Falcons are very reliable, the Jasper gets rid of the very problem by tackling the GPU:|
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidTy

[QUOTE="st1ka"]power output 150W huh.... does it still need that power brick? the 360 i own has an output of 203WFirstDiscovery
Nope the brick still exists, just uses less power...

D'OH!!!

JEEZ!

SolidTy

And how so, the Falcons are very reliable, the Jasper gets rid of the very problem by tackling the GPU:|

As someone who's had a Falcon recently go bad, I've discovered that isn't the case. I am on my 4th 360 (3RROD's, one for every Xmas since GeoW came out), so I will believe when I see it. I am never going to proclaim something I don't know as fact. How can I, I don't know.

M$ needs to PROVE it to us, not hope we believe it. I do think these will help, but I don't think RROD IS GONE...It's possible, but I'm all out of hope at this point (I had hope LAST XMAS).

I will let M$ prove RROD is gone to me, not assume it's gone just because.

WE can hope for massive improvements, but to say what the TC SAID, "RROD IS NO MORE!"...that's just silly.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidTy

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]Well the Falcon model rarely RRoDs, so if the Jasper is even smaller you can say that its virtually gone. I've actually been waiting for the jaspers before I buy a new 360. FirstDiscovery
Oh trust me, nothing will convince the Cows, not even getting rid of the problem itself...

Forget cows, why should ANYbody apologize for M$? They did this, no one else.

I am one of their biggest single customers, with hundreds of games, Two 360's, Two Live accounts since XBOX LIVE was first Built, so many XBLA content, and tons of accessories.

You know what will convince people on this planet, PROOF. That's it.

Trust me, I want to believe it's GONE, but until it is, Fanboy's are just going to keep making posts about how it SHOULD be gone.Early Proclamation's of RROD's Death are nothing but a dream until we start seeing it.

RROD has taken about a year to get from every 360, if you asked me at 8 months how RROD was dead, I would have said, I will know in a few months. Then BAM, I got hit again. Xmas 2006, 2007, and 2008 (I just got my new 360 in recently).

I didn't even got into E-74 either.

Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts

Im picking one up next month :)

-Mad_Rhetoric-

Uh, shouldn't they replace your current 360 for free since they're the ones who engineered the structural flaw into all the consoles?

And isn't it a little premature to say it's "no more?" It's gonna take Microsoft the rest of this gen and more to replace all of their flawed consoles with updated ones that don't RROD. 

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
We've gone through this before. Claims that RROD is gone, then it strikes again. Sonic may keep fooling me, but Microsoft wont! :x
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.
MarloStanfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MarloStanfield
Member since 2008 • 2409 Posts
that's what they said last time face it lemmings, the 360 is faulty hardware.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Hope so, though I still think some people will get RROD with the new models and then everyone on teh forumz will go crazy.
grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 grubsomefood

lol my 90 nm cpu/gpu 360 >>>>65 cpu/65 gpu consoles :)

Why? because i know how to take care of it....no heat issues :)

Al3x_n90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Al3x_n90
Member since 2007 • 2561 Posts

This is not the end of RRoD. Nothing will be unless MS disables the lights on the 360s.SpruceCaboose

Good one spruce :P 

FreshPrinceUk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FreshPrinceUk
Member since 2007 • 673 Posts
i will only buy a jasper im in uk is there n e way of me knowing its jasper by checking on the box instore? i doubt they would let me open boxes to check the brick
Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mlauthemighty
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
Good news. If it turns out to solve the 360 issues I'll get one again. RROD is'nt good enough though. They better fix the noise issues too. I don't mind loud cars but consoles should'nt put them to shame.
grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 grubsomefood

i will only buy a jasper im in uk is there n e way of me knowing its jasper by checking on the box instore? i doubt they would let me open boxes to check the brickFreshPrinceUk

the date is exposed through the back on the box.

FreshPrinceUk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FreshPrinceUk
o is there a hole in the box???
grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 grubsomefood

lol What issues is xbox360 having? my almost 3 year old xbox360 is still doing good.

What i can tell you the original xbox sucked...because if the harddrive died you're console was done/dead couldnt run without it couldnt replace it and play on xbox live again since was hardcoded crap.

plus the dvd rom drives died...i had 4-5 original xbox's die on me hdd or dvd rom drive would go.

piece of **** thompson brand dvd rom drives and western digital hardrives i had 1 seagate go also.

the xbox360 is alot better designed console doesnt need a harddrive to run and the dvd rom drives are made by better company.....mines a hitachi atleast i have heard of the brand name....i never heard of thompson and i hope i never do again,.

grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 grubsomefood

o is there a hole in the box???FreshPrinceUk

yea...from what i remember there's a hole...exposing the barcode/born date of the 360.

MadnessPower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MadnessPower
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Jasper LOL

What an ugly name..i don't know why it gets on my nerves so much!
grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 grubsomefood

Yea when i bought xbox's every goddamn 1 had a thomson brand dvd rom drive every single one broke or the hardrive would die.

the original xbox sucked bigtime design wise.

xbox360 designed so much better.

i just looked it up thomson is owned by general electric.....GE used to be a company but they have been slipping for many years.

my xbox360 has hitachi so much better dvd rom drive :)

FreshPrinceUk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FreshPrinceUk
thats gud then should have no trouble finding old jasper. plus how do we even know these photos are legit? may they not real n maybe its not jasper cant tell till there real wvidence n e ways, hope it is.
Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mlauthemighty

Yea when i bought xbox's every goddamn 1 had a thomson brand dvd rom drive every single one broke or the hardrive would die.

the original xbox sucked bigtime design wise.

xbox360 designed so much better.

i just looked it up thomson is owned by general electric.....GE used to be a company but they have been slipping for many years.

my xbox360 has hitachi so much better dvd rom drive :)

grubsomefood

My xbox never had any hiccups whatsoever. In fact I regard it as the best of the 3 consoles of last gen. PS2 just had more good games. And the Gamecube..... Well, WW was good and I got RE4 for it... It was an ok console really.

grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 grubsomefood

the original xbox's with the thomson dvd rom drives were prone to dying...every single one i bought the dvd rom drive broke.

or harddrive would die.

but some original xbox's were alright if you got a samsung dvd rom drive then you only gotta really worry about the hardrive dying..

funny though...

the only 360 i ever bought almost 3 years old works great.

i bought 4-5 original xbox's only 1 left still working lol.

i had a ps2 break on me...the network adapter port fried.

i had a dreamcast die on me....my fault though i had the exhaust vent blocked by my tv...i fried the gd-rom...i actually replaced the gd-rom in my original launch september 9th 1999 dreamcast lol works now.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FirstDiscovery

As someone who's had a Falcon recently go bad, I've discovered that isn't the case. I am on my 4th 360 (3RROD's, one for every Xmas since GeoW came out), so I will believe when I see it. I am never going to proclaim something I don't know as fact. How can I, I don't know.

M$ needs to PROVE it to us, not hope we believe it. I do think these will help, but I don't think RROD IS GONE...It's possible, but I'm all out of hope at this point (I had hope LAST XMAS).

I will let M$ prove RROD is gone to me, not assume it's gone just because.

WE can hope for massive improvements, but to say what the TC SAID, "RROD IS NO MORE!"...that's just silly.

SolidTy

MS isnt going to come out and say anything because then the people with 23 million 360s will think they have time bomb whereas others will ask what took them so long Falcons are pretty reliable and it sucks that youve had the issue, still, i know somebody with a launch 360 and it RROD just after its first year but since then nothing. The Falcons are a year old and there are no widespread reports currently, again some people have been very unlucky, but overall its a pretty safe bet

Still, the very problem itself has been tackled, RROD is now officially a thing of the past

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FirstDiscovery

the original xbox's with the thomson dvd rom drives were prone to dying...every single one i bought the dvd rom drive broke.

or harddrive would die.

but some original xbox's were alright if you got a samsung dvd rom drive then you only gotta really worry about the hardrive dying..

funny though...

i had a dreamcast die on me....my fault though i had the exhaust vent blocked by my tv...i fried the gd-rom...i actually replaced the gd-rom in my original launch september 9th 1999 dreamcast lol works now.

grubsomefood
The Thomson drives were horrid, the drives in the middle okay, but the Samsung ones were very reliable. Still, it was mostly just DRE issues which could be easily fixed with compressed air
MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts
:lol: you wish. **sings Shirley Bassey's "Diamonds Are Forever" ** instead its RRODs are Forever"
druggyjoe3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 druggyjoe3000
Member since 2006 • 1523 Posts
that's what they said last time face it lemmings, the 360 is faulty hardware. MarloStanfield
wow just bash away this should be a good thing to gamers and not fanboys ok and falcons rarely died and now they made it even better chip set is good bet to say its not going to rrod after 3 years at least
grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 grubsomefood

Someone mentioned a gamecube here...might be going off topic alittle.

But i have a gamecube im sure it still works...worked last time i played it....but i basically bought that console and looked at it.....never played it.

lmfao.....the only games i bought were metroid prime, and waverace.

Mlauthemighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mlauthemighty

or harddrive would die.

funny though...

grubsomefood

Dude, that's harsh. That's like the opposite of my console experience. Only problem I ever had was a ps2 I wore out.  

grubsomefood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 grubsomefood

Most of the red ring of death is caused by people letting too much dust build up on the insides....dust is like cloth covering the stuff and making it run hotter than it's supposed to and cant handle the temps and dies.

The 360 is alot more better than the original xbox design wise.

Nintendo though....they make some reliable consoles....every nintendo console i have still works, NES,SNES,N64,GAMECUBE.

lol i never had 1 die on me and i thrown those things around when i was a kid.