Xbox 360 Ultimate - KEEP IT HERE -Why wasn't this stickied???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts

They said the format wasn't necessary for games. They are going to stand by that statement and rightfully so this gen.

wmc540

if its not necessary for games, then why include it in the console? how do you know they won't use it for games? In fact, they would be stupid not to. They would be way worse than sony to include something in the system, and not use it. At least PS3 games are on Bluray.

It would really piss me off if they did that because now I would own an outdated piece of crap, and would be forced to buy a new 360 to play new games. MS does some underhanded stuff, but this would put them way over the top.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#102 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

What Microsoft should do next is create a version of this SKU without a hard drive, and call it the Core Ultimate. I'm beginning to suspect Microsoft's real goal is to force Best Buy employees to spend eight hours a day explaining what the hell all the different bundles, models, packages, and accessories are to increasingly confused consumers.

-

In all seriousness, while I get why a larger hard drive would be ideal for the IPTV package, it seems odd to tuck it for retail in this way, since their IPTV setup seems like it won't really take off (in any significant way) this generation any more than the Sega Genesis' cable-rental cartridge service.

wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts
[QUOTE="wmc540"]

They said the format wasn't necessary for games. They are going to stand by that statement and rightfully so this gen.

mazdero

if its not necessary for games, then why include it in the console? how do you know they won't use it for games? In fact, they would be stupid not to. They would be way worse than sony to include something in the system, and not use it. At least PS3 games are on Bluray.

It would really piss me off if they did that because now I would own an outdated piece of crap, and would be forced to buy a new 360 to play new games. MS does some underhanded stuff, but this would put them way over the top.

To watch movies?? They won't use it for games and if you can't see that than you are a *insert insult*. I don't understand why someone would be that *insert insult* to actually believe that they would out date their first 11 million consoles.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts
There is 0 chance they will release games on HD-DVD. I don't think even MS is that stupid.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#105 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Next gen they'll have You upgrade Your console once a year if You want to play the bestest games. This is just to get You used to the next step in becoming a pc :P
mazdero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 mazdero
Member since 2002 • 1754 Posts
[QUOTE="mazdero"][QUOTE="wmc540"]

wmc540

To watch movies?? They won't use it for games and if you can't see that than you are a *insert insult*. I don't understand why someone would be that *insert insult* to actually believe that they would out date their first 11 million consoles.

you=blind fanboy, me=/=fanboy

That is why YOU can't see whats happening. ok, lets say its just for movies. That still makes MS worse than Sony because they are putting HD-DVD in a GAME system to win a format war, not for GAMING. Only, they did it two years later when that format is getting kicked around like a sick puppy. At least the PS3's GAMES are on bluray. I'm not debating whether bluray or HD-dvd is needed this gen, but it looks very suspect for MS to put this in a new SKU after they said they wouldn't do it. And WiFi also. what was it they said, that Wifi standards are always changing which is why they didn't include it in their system, to give their customers a "choice". Yeah, well I guess we know now how big of a crap job that was. I paid 100 dollars for a wifi adapter, and now they decide to include it. I really hope this is a lie.

stray720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 stray720
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts
This article is horsecrap, but, M$ is just handing this gen over to Sony and Nintendo on a platter right now by focusing on the high end and too many SKU's if there's any truth to CES rumors. Somehow you'd think... fix the hardware, cut the price... would make sense.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#108 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
This article is horsecrap, but, M$ is just handing this gen over to Sony and Nintendo on a platter right now by focusing on the high end and too many SKU's if there's any truth to CES rumors. Somehow you'd think... fix the hardware, cut the price... would make sense. stray720

Hey we totally suck at making hardware, so we make a dozen versions of it. There's sure to be one that works! *thumb up*
wmc540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 wmc540
Member since 2006 • 2620 Posts
[QUOTE="wmc540"][QUOTE="mazdero"][QUOTE="wmc540"]

mazdero

That is why YOU can't see whats happening. ok, lets say its just for movies. That still makes MS worse than Sony because they are putting HD-DVD in a GAME system to win a format war, not for GAMING. Only, they did it two years later when that format is getting kicked around like a sick puppy. At least the PS3's GAMES are on bluray. I'm not debating whether bluray or HD-dvd is needed this gen, but it looks very suspect for MS to put this in a new SKU after they said they wouldn't do it. And WiFi also. what was it they said, that Wifi standards are always changing which is why they didn't include it in their system, to give their customers a "choice". Yeah, well I guess we know now how big of a crap job that was. I paid 100 dollars for a wifi adapter, and now they decide to include it. I really hope this is a lie.

I am no fanboy and I am certainly not a blind fanboy. I just can't believe the logical fallacies that are being presented in this thread. There are more slippery slopes here than in Colorado.

Fumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Fumpa
Member since 2003 • 3307 Posts

This sounds kind of dumb. This is either how the 360 should have been when released, or something that should be used for their next console.

This sounds like a big waste of money for anyone buying a 360 for gaming purposes.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

mazdero

This is very well said, good sir.

Eothein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112 Eothein
Member since 2006 • 989 Posts

It's not real. Nothing has been announced. We are expecting Gates to announce something along the eyes of IP-TV 360 this weekend at CES but nothing is concrete. It's not on any other site, these no press releaseon that site, no pics or even a statement from M$ so it's 100% made up traffic hungering by the site.

"But come autumn 2008, we reckon both will be rendered obsolete by the Ultimate."

Hardly confirmation, no?

Myth busted.

usule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 usule
Member since 2003 • 1734 Posts
Who cares even if its true... i'm very happy with my premium... the ultimate will play the same games right? don't care about hd dvd drive either... besides games, don't really care about other options...
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

so the ultimate is basicly a PS3..LOL

minus remote play of course:)

Duo75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Duo75
Member since 2005 • 283 Posts

Here we go again...Discuss...http://stuff.tv/News/BIG-IN-2008-Xbox-Ultimate/

Xbox 360 Ultimate

-1080p HDMI Output

-Built In Wi-FI

-Hi-Def Audio Output

-65 nm Hardware...cooler fan

-320 GB Hard Drive

-Built In HD DVD Drive

comstrikeiscool

LOL its like a ps3, but with a bigger hard-drive. I'll stick with my 360 for now...of course it could very well explode by the time this comes out.

queenster08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 queenster08
Member since 2005 • 859 Posts
I could see M$ dropped the price of the 360 big time... then, when they sell a couple more million consoles; drop the new sku on the public so everyone has to upgrade... so M$!
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

Bad Mircosoft!!! Bad!!! :(

A_New_Life

hahahaha..good pic

I'll seriously throw my Elite out the window if they release that thing (ok I won't...but I'll be pissed). Well atleast I'll have 120 GB I guess. But seriously, MS just needs to not focus on the hardware....keep pumping out solid software and there will be no problems.

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

Wait I remeber hearing about a console like this being released in 06.....

Oh yeah from some japanese company named Sony? Something called a PS3!!!

Besides the bigger HDD. I see no differences. that and the HD-DVD drive. It is reasons like this that I haven't bought a 360 yet. I want to play ME, bioshock with a gamepad yessir!, H3 sure why not? But another SKU!!! Really? I mean wow. this takes the cake. Bad enough it might brick on me for no apprent reason but now another SKU!!!!

The inner ps3 fanboy in me wants this to come out and have MS start using HD-DVD games. That would be the best move ever. Because I am pretty sure the internet will explode. And MS will have just played Russan Roulette with a clip-loading pistol....

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts
is it just me or does this one skinnier and wider...
karram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 karram
Member since 2006 • 1682 Posts
I don't think MS will do something stupid like that because it's going to be very expensive and nobody will buy it.
BlackDianWei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 BlackDianWei
Member since 2005 • 554 Posts
[QUOTE="mushi799"][QUOTE="wmc540"][QUOTE="mushi799"][QUOTE="gromit007"]

Its a nice machine, but the price will be high.

MS has as many SKUs as Sony, lets not take that route.

wmc540

Sony currently has two, 40gig and 80gig, that's not hard to follow.

Key word... currently. At least Microsoft systems aren't losing features with new SKU's like the PS3 did with backwards compatibility.

80gig has BC, you want BC get that. OR buy a ps2, it's freaking $99. I didn't buy a 360 to play xbox games or ps3 games to play ps2 games.

I know, I just find it ironic that many people attacked the 360's backwards compatibility when
a. It isn't that bad

b. Sony got rid of theirs.

Did you just read his post? The 80gb HAS BC!

Antti88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Antti88
Member since 2005 • 46 Posts
So IF this is true this is more of a multimedia device ,like some ps2 models in Japan. I think microsoft will try to market this to differet kind of consumers, IF this is true.
toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
Wow, fake!?
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

Besides the bigger HDD. I see no differences. that and the HD-DVD drive. It is reasons like this that I haven't bought a 360 yet. I want to play ME, bioshock with a gamepad yessir!, H3 sure why not? But another SKU!!!

XturnalS

I have good news for you- you can. Buy it for the PC and plug in a 360 controller- that's it.

Being on topic, if this is true, it's an absolutely insane idea. When I look at all the SKUs, it really makes me feel like MS has no actual gameplan for what it wants to do. First it's a core and a premium...not ideal, since the core is just gimped, but ok. Then it was the Elite for those who really wanted HDMI and the most out of their gaming experience. Then it was the Arcade pack, I presume targeted at casuals. Then the Halo edition to milk those fans. And now this?

At least when Sony revised their SKUs, it was an attempt to get the price lower. But most of MS's new ones have increased the price. And while maybe beneficial to consumers, it's a real kick in the pants to retailers to say you're going to actively support 5 SKUs and to have them all in stock.

I feel like Sony had a total vision for what they wanted the PS3 to be. Perhaps the market doesn't agree with their vision, but at least it was there. Their revisions were to lower the cost for the consumer (and themselves, obviously) which is what the consumer wants. But really, who wants this? Was there anyone sitting on the fence about a 360 that was *just* waiting for an HD-DVD intergrated 360 with a larger HDD? Just a guess, but if you really wanted all those feautures in your gaming system, you probably would've gotten the PS3.

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#126 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
THE PS3 wannabe.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
well.. it's not like they can make games on HD DVD now.. so.. useless imo..
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#128 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
If true my support for MS is completely over. I would've gotten a 360 with HD-DVD and Hi-Def audio but MS chose not to this from the beginning, so early adopters once again get laughed at by MS.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#129 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

If this is true its too late.

what is the point in the HDD? I thought 120gigs was a little over the top, but this? HDMI is good, and so is wifi built in. that should have been there from the beginning. So should the HD DVD player, but now its useless as they will not be able to make games that use the HD DVD. seems pojntless to me. First it was the premium, which we thought would be the best, then the eliete, now this?

Plus could you make it so all the 360's will not ge RROD, or must we buy the new one for that feature?

Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts

well.. it's not like they can make games on HD DVD now.. so.. useless imo..Always-Honest

Dual Drive?

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
They probably wont make many of these.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 TerroRizing

If true my support for MS is completely over. I would've gotten a 360 with HD-DVD and Hi-Def audio but MS chose not to this from the beginning, so early adopters once again get laughed at by MS.rockydog1111

In the beginning HDMI and HD DVD werent around, dont be upset because technology has advanced.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
looks like they are trying to compete with sony on how many versions they can put out.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
looks like they are trying to compete with sony on how many versions they can put out. Ontain
Seriously sad.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

There is 0 chance they will release games on HD-DVD. I don't think even MS is that stupid.Chutebox

technically they could. remember that HD DVD allows for both sides to be used. one side dvd and one side hddvd. it's possible to release games that have 2 versions. the HDdvd version could have extra languages or out of game content like special features on a movie.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 TerroRizing

[QUOTE="Ontain"]looks like they are trying to compete with sony on how many versions they can put out. Jandurin
Seriously sad.

Atleast they arent discontinuing older versions as they go. I dont see how making a sku like this one in limited quantities is somehow a bad thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="Ontain"]looks like they are trying to compete with sony on how many versions they can put out. TerroRizing

Seriously sad.

Atleast they arent discontinuing older versions as they go. I dont see how making a sku like this one in limited quantities is somehow a bad thing.

how about because it's so unnecessary and creates confusion.

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#138 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
OMG t3h doomed..MSFT is t3h stupid...oh wait this doesn't affect me in any way.
Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts

looks like they are trying to compete with sony on how many versions they can put out. Ontain

Yea, that makes sense.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
Myaswell just get a PC, its better anyways.
robotech31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 robotech31
Member since 2007 • 230 Posts
wth, MS is really trying to copy sony this gen. first HDMI, now built in wifi, and hd dvd drive standard.
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#142 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts

if this is real:

$^$&%*&£ you m*$&^$&* f$**@:$&*$*!!!! You greedy $&*$^ ^&^**765 -_- "(*:@@{P"!!!! They go and do ($**& like this as soon as we all have our cores arcades premiums elites!!!! Lemmings are no longer lemmings cus they're the one's getting milked . If this U£@: carrys on wtf is the point in buying an xbox console if a new SKU is out every 6 months. BS BS BS BS *($£*@: MS Sony >>> MS for value now and i thought that'd never happen. In fact, with hindsight i would have paid double for a PC which doesn't $&*($(& up your dvd's if you move it, doesn't run games at a measly 720p or less 90% of the time, and has the option to upgrade without buying a completely new system every 6 months. MS suck, the 360 sucks, i'd rather play big rigs than buy into this $(*(ing @:£$£$ BS.........

/phew . well i'd only verify that if this turns out to be true.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]There is 0 chance they will release games on HD-DVD. I don't think even MS is that stupid.Ontain

technically they could. remember that HD DVD allows for both sides to be used. one side dvd and one side hddvd. it's possible to release games that have 2 versions. the HDdvd version could have extra languages or out of game content like special features on a movie.

Would never happen. Stores shelves are already starved for space. Adding another mouth to be fed is an impossibility. Retailers simply don't have the space, and the confusion is not what MS is looking for anyway. There will never be a game released in HD DVD, whether there is a version of the 360 with a drive built in or not.

Ever.

xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#144 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts
I'd consider upgrading, because my Xbox 360 Pro doesnt have HDMI and only has a 20 gig HDD.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
[QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]There is 0 chance they will release games on HD-DVD. I don't think even MS is that stupid.Dreams-Visions

Would never happen. Stores shelves are already starved for space. Adding another mouth to be fed is an impossibility. Retailers simply don't have the space, and the confusion is not what MS is looking for anyway. There will never be a game released in HD DVD, whether there is a version of the 360 with a drive built in or not.

Ever.

I can see it now, all of the Halo games on 1 disk with 2 new maps for $150 only on HDDVD.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Whats the big deal?

You can buy a 360 Arcade, Pro, Elite, or Ultimate. They all play the exact same games. Nothing changes except some added features. Get a grip people. Your 360's wont become obsolete....nothing changes.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Dreams-Visions

mazdero

Nobody said you have to like it. In fact, none of this applies to you in the slightest because you already OWN a console. So what do you care what new options they put into the market?

The only question that matters here is whether or not there would be a market for this product substantial enough to justify the existence of the new SKU at the pricepoint they feel makes it worthwhile. I'm sure they've done enough market research to have figured out the answer to that question. If the answer is "yes", we'll know it very soon.

Personally, I don't see any problem with them eliminating the need to pick up the external HD DVD drive by replacing the DVD drive with a combo drive. I don't see why you have a problem with it either. It's not like they're substituting this in for some primary SKU like the premium. This will be something for the crowd that would like a 360, but may be swayed by a desire to play back HiDef movies. Why have to buy 2 parts to make that happen? Put them together. Get your movies and play your 360 games.

The end.

Some of you guys make things much more complicated and stressful than they really are. You people did the same crying when they released the Elite and the Halo Edition. Did the market implode? No? Then calm the hell down. It won't with this SKU either, should it ever come into existence.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]There is 0 chance they will release games on HD-DVD. I don't think even MS is that stupid.smokeydabear076

Ever.

I can see it now, all of the Halo games on 1 disk with 2 new maps for $150 only on HDDVD.

lol. hush.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#149 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Here we go again...Discuss...http://stuff.tv/News/BIG-IN-2008-Xbox-Ultimate/

Xbox 360 Ultimate

-1080p HDMI Output

-Built In Wi-FI

-Hi-Def Audio Output

-65 nm Hardware...cooler fan

-320 GB Hard Drive

-Built In HD DVD Drive

comstrikeiscool

M$ is just trying to support HD-DVD. If it supported both Blu-Ray & HD-DVD it might actually be worth having. I like the 320GB HDD though. I wonder how much it'll cost? $599? $499? In any case the RROD should be completely fixed with this system. It'll have the cooler CPU, GPU and a better cooling fan. No more RROD.

trik_trak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 trik_trak
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts

bbbut al those featureswerent important right microsoft ???

bbut the choice

you know what you can stick my xbox360 right up in your bleep

''This PS3-killer'''

give me a break hd-dvd is already dead