WTF is wrong with JRPG main character designs besides FF?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
Really, they are all the ****ing same White Knight Chronicles Ressonance of Fate Star Ocean the Last Hope Rougue Galaxy Phantasy Star Universe Chrono Cross Dark Cloud Dragon Quest VIII How can people say anything about FF designs and not this? If any FF character had a desing like this the game would be cruxified and bashed to hell. But when it comes to other games its ok, and people have no problem with it. I hear people saying that FF13 will suck, it has the typical JRPG characters again, and then they say they will stick with WKC? WTF? FF is the only one that tries to make different characters. And thats just the design, those characters above are horrible in every way possible. They wont ever be memorable. At least in each FF thers at least most characters are memorable and we will always remember them. You see people here with many FF characters avatars. And im not even gonna bother post pics of the female characters, cause they are all the ****ing same.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

No, I think they are fine.

Flipyap28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Flipyap28
Member since 2008 • 3865 Posts
Suppose the most unusual characters are the most unique, that seems to be the only theory I can come up with. Also take into account the time period of these games and that most are based on fantasy. Its also based on japanese art style so hair styles, eyes etc stay similar. Im surprised you didnt post Kaim from Lost Odyssey
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Lost Odyssey ftw!

ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

What do you mean besides Final Fantasy, there also guilty of doing this

Vaan

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drakes_Fortune
What do you mean besides Final Fantasy, there also guilty of doing thisImSwordMan
Get that **** out of my eyes. :P And people still say Nomura is bad.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Drakes_Fortune
Auron alone owns every character in a video game. This guy puts chuck norris to shame. Who says Nomura cant design male characters?
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Characters in jrpg's have the worst fashion sense too.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

Auron alone owns every character in a video game. This guy puts chuck norris to shame. Who says Nomura cant design male characters? Drakes_Fortune

I agree, imo Auron is must bad ass characters in jRPG history

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Drakes_Fortune

[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"]Auron alone owns every character in a video game. This guy puts chuck norris to shame. Who says Nomura cant design male characters? ShadowriverUB

Not just in JRPG, hes the most badass in video game history.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

...... Yep, all twins

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

ActicEdge your post is filled with win.

Also,

shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

Theres no logic in the pictures you posted. Its just a bunch of JRPG with similar looking protagonists. You do know i could probably do the same with FPS' and a host of other genres?

Besides that, look at the pics posted.

Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

spikey haired 12 year olds are the style when it comes to jrpgs i guess.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

this pic seems suitable for this thread, same thing can be said for western devs apparently

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

Auron alone owns every character in a video game. This guy puts chuck norris to shame. Who says Nomura cant design male characters? Drakes_Fortune

And its so very unfortunate that we rarely get to see characters like him in JRPGs.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

this pic seems suitable for this thread, same thing can be said for western devs apparently

kidcool189

To be fair to Mass Effect, their design is based off an actual person. So is Riddick for that matter.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#18 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

No, I think they are fine.

ActicEdge

the first 2 paraiste eve and vagrant story sadly are games that haven't gotten any sequels.. eve got 1 on ps1... vagrant story == zero and its a damn shame!! I bet if they ever did make a sequel to vagrant story it would be handheld only and it would have the little monster races like in advanced 2 and it would be tailored to children... totally ruining it.. but they won't make a sequel so I guess my complaints are moot. Thankfully though parasite eve is getting seqeul on psp...but it was announced 3 years ago an only 3 screenshots have ever been shown... ft hell is wrong with them?

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Drakes_Fortune

Theres no logic in the pictures you posted. Its just a bunch of JRPG with similar looking protagonists. You do know i could probably do the same with FPS' and a host of other genres?

shutdown_202
Yes thers logic. Every time i play a JRPG other than FF i get theset type of characters. Dont get me wrong, i was gonna say that this happens with all genres so dont bother saying JRPG suck cause i was gonna post the pic some guy below already posted. I forgot to say that. Heck FF is my favorite franchise, and KH is one of my favorite also. The only DQ i played, wich was 8, is one of my favorite ps2 games. But these level 5 and tric ace JRPG, ugh, they are always the same ****.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Drakes_Fortune
That pic of Western games, needs to be updated with the guy from Killzone 2 and the guy from MW2, they are the same.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Drakes_Fortune
Parasite eve 2 is one of my favorite games of all type. I dont think anyone ever did anything like it.
punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts

[QUOTE="kidcool189"]

topgunmv

To be fair to Mass Effect, their design is based off an actual person. So is Riddick for that matter.

And force unleashed.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Its hilarious too because Auron looks exactly like Bruce Willis, which makes his ownage increase even more.. That being said, J in jrpg, means Japan.. It is a different culture that have different views on media.. Really we could make this exact same conclusion with the american characters often bieng a one man army or a steroid popping maniac who has little to no personality..

Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Drakes_Fortune
Its hilarious too because Auron looks exactly like Bruce Willis, which makes his ownage increase even more.. That being said, J in jrpg, means Japan.. It is a different culture that have different views on media.. Really we could make this exact same conclusion with the american characters often bieng a one man army or a steroid popping maniac who has little to no personality..sSubZerOo
I know what you mean.
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
Please, show us original characters then. Like Drake, right? : D
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Drakes_Fortune
Please, show us original characters then. Like Drake, right? : DDystopian-X
What about drake? You dont see many like him in games, at least not that well done. But like i said, auron is the best.
Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts
JRPG? Let's put on some long, blond or red hair, giant sword, and a bunch of useless armor, with a huge Disney world FPS/3PS? Let's put on giant 2-ton armor, huge rifle, shave his head and give him a "rugged" look WRPG? How bout a post-apocalyptic world, and put on some short hair, dirty hobo appearance or FPS look.
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

[QUOTE="shutdown_202"]

Drakes_Fortune

Yes thers logic. Every time i play a JRPG other than FF i get theset type of characters. Dont get me wrong, i was gonna say that this happens with all genres so dont bother saying JRPG suck cause i was gonna post the pic some guy below already posted. I forgot to say that. Heck FF is my favorite franchise, and KH is one of my favorite also. The only DQ i played, wich was 8, is one of my favorite ps2 games. But these level 5 and tric ace JRPG, ugh, they are always the same ****.

I think that speaks more for the type of JRPGs you play than the genre as a whole

Looks like you're the one doing that from my perspective.

And there is no logic in the games you've chosen. You went from White Knight Chronicles to Phantasy Star Universe to Chrono Cross. Basically what you've done is pic and chose games where the main characters look alike. You didn't for example gather every JRPG from this gen or select a bunch from 1 developer. Its too random and the sample is too small. You can even look at the first page of this thread, look at the pictures posted by ther users and see alot of variety.

Your topic title says JRPGs so i was assuming you were talking about every devleoper in the field. But if you actually meant just these devs then yeah, i can see a point.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

The pic of western characters actually look like... *gasp* ... men.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I think many of the characters have similar features, but there are lots of others that are different. I think one thing that some JRPGs get carried away with our the fashion. Some are just plain outrageous. I thought Eight from DQVIII was pretty different from many of the other JRPGS, but mabe that's just me. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]Please, show us original characters then. Like Drake, right? : DDrakes_Fortune
What about drake? You dont see many like him in games, at least not that well done. But like i said, auron is the best.

.. Drake is not a original character, it doesn't make him bad.. But to suggest he is some how unique is pretty ridiculous..
2uneek4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 2uneek4u
Member since 2006 • 2548 Posts

[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"]Auron alone owns every character in a video game. This guy puts chuck norris to shame. Who says Nomura cant design male characters? shalashaska88

And its so very unfortunate that we rarely get to see characters like him in JRPGs.

the only character that actually reminds me of auron is arumat from star ocean 4. they both have that quiet personality, but you know they are badass and deadly

hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts

My problem with jrpgs is voice acting and melodrama.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 teh_shogun
Member since 2009 • 714 Posts

this guy would like a word with you.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 teh_shogun
Member since 2009 • 714 Posts

[QUOTE="shalashaska88"]

[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"]Auron alone owns every character in a video game. This guy puts chuck norris to shame. Who says Nomura cant design male characters? 2uneek4u

the only character that actually reminds me of auron is arumat from star ocean 4. they both have that quiet personality, but you know they are badass and deadly

no offense, but that guy looks like a pajaro.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I think TC's gripe revolves around Anime-styIe characters

Which are very similar. You'd be suprised on how many game artist at one point drew manga or worked anime. I believe almost all of them are anime fans. JRPGs usually follow an Anime styIeand some of the more unique ones follow the styIe of whatever Art directer wants.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

I notice a lot of the character look quite young with an emphasis on spiky hair and feminine feaures.

I think it's a lady-boyculture thing where importance is placed more on youth, feminine beauty and emo. It's pretty big

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yep, only the Japanese developers clone main characters... :roll:

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

^^

It's a cultural thing and mass market appeal. In Western Society heroes tend to be Grizzly, rugged, tough and confident.

This is just not in games but movies and music as well.

Action films- Bruce Willis, Wesley Snipes, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Vin Diesel....

Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts
^Yep. And be more original next time, I've seen that pic 3 times already in this thread If only JRPGS would follow an anime-style closer to the more unique ones like Rave Master, One Piece, and Fairy Tail (I used to love FT but I'm still a huge fan of OP and its unique style that reminds me of Western cartoons and Dragonball. Hell, one of the main characters is based on Popeye, and another on Pinochio)
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

this is why I hate JRPGs, anime, and all this stuff coming out of Japan.

Sorry to offend, but I prefer games from countries that don't go overboard with imagination. But use enough of it to make a solid game...

Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

Nothing and don't you dare diss the DQ8 hero!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="HavocV3"]

this is why I hate JRPGs, anime, and all this stuff coming out of Japan.

Sorry to offend, but I prefer games from countries that don't go overboard with imagination. But use enough of it to make a solid game...

.. Alot of animes don't go overboard with character design.. Infact cartoons from Japan are way ahead US animation when it comes to cinema in which characters often are extremely realistic looking.. While the US version is either a characture, or is extremely simple rounded off character that could only be seen as realistic in the most base of means... (I am looking at you Marvel Comics in their animated movies they release).
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

FF character design is the symbol of change

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"]

[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"]Auron alone owns every character in a video game. This guy puts chuck norris to shame. Who says Nomura cant design male characters? Drakes_Fortune

Not just in JRPG, hes the most badass in video game history.

He is pretty badass, but IMO this guy is more badass.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

JRPG: Sissy characters; FFXIII is changing though.

WPPG: Macho dude or Elven characters that people seems to be obsessed with. IMO I want to give them an Otoplasty surgery every time I see an Elven bastard.

Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

You can say the same for FPS with their macho, bald guys or faceless space marines. Fail.

HermitQ6600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HermitQ6600
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts

Some people want to play as young boys I guess