WTF is up with the Wii U's Virtual Console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

I was looking through the Wii U for classic games to download, and my options are pretty bad. There's barely anything there did they just decide to not give anymore? Or did they focus more on the 3DS?

I mean some games in series are missing, which just baffles me. The systems have been cut down as well, and what's going on with the GameCube stuff? Nintendo had been talking about having a decent library of GameCube classics.

It's a bit of a disappointment. I was expecting a decent sized library, or variety similar to the Wii's in terms of consoles.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea...they never really got it going on wiiU...

but it has GBA and DS games...thats pretty cool.

3DS is almost just as bad.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@TigerSuperman said:

I was looking through the Wii U for classic games to download, and my options are pretty bad. There's barely anything there did they just decide to not give anymore? Or did they focus more on the 3DS?

I mean some games in series are missing, which just baffles me. The systems have been cut down as well, and what's going on with the GameCube stuff? Nintendo had been talking about having a decent library of GameCube classics.

It's a bit of a disappointment. I was expecting a decent sized library, or variety similar to the Wii's in terms of consoles.

If you go to the Wii menu, you can get the same virtual console that the Wii had from that storefront. You don't get tablet support in those games, though. Also, if you owned a Wii, you can transfer all the games you purchased for it over to your Wii U from there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Yep, there is pretty much no excuse for the VC on Wii U, other than Nintendo just can't be bothered. Which isn't an excuse either.

Sure, they've released a few additional systems and some cool releases like Earthbound Beginnings. But there was really no reason for the VC to not be at par with the Wii on day one, let alone nearly three years later.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

Yep, there is pretty much no excuse for the VC on Wii U, other than Nintendo just can't be bothered. Which isn't an excuse either.

Sure, they've released a few additional systems and some cool releases like Earthbound Beginnings. But there was really no reason for the VC to not be at par with the Wii on day one, let alone nearly three years later.

It's been slow u[dating as well looking around for mor info. I probably shouldn't expect much more for the remainder of Wii U life.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It is sad because we had a lot more on the Wii Virtual Console than WiiU does now at the same time span.

Thank God that shop is still available.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I can't for the life of me figure out why GAMEBOY ADVANCE GAMES are not available on the 3DS Eshop but they're available on the Wii U shop.

That makes absolute zero sense.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I can't for the life of me figure out why GAMEBOY ADVANCE GAMES are not available on the 3DS Eshop but they're available on the Wii U shop.

That makes absolute zero sense.

Apparently Nintendo still hasn't figured out a way to suspend those games when you close the lid since that wasn't a function of the original GBA.

Still doesn't explain why SNES games aren't available on the 3DS.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Welcome to the gaping hole that Nintendo should have filled ages ago with their entire catalogue. Hell, had they done that at launch, this generation might look a lot different.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Its painful to navigate the store too.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

The Wii U VC was shit, they didn't even have 100% same support Wii had when crossing over.

I imagine they're slow because of incompetency in e-publishing. I've seen the job descriptions on their site for it, basically only requires minimal Photoshop experience, gathering visual assets for the store, and the e-manual, writing up the eShop description, electronic game manual assembly, and of course probably the last thing to go into it is legal end, agreement from right holders and how to channel royalties and probably handled by legal/accounting departments.

Of course, it's extra baffling when they can't even publish the fucking games they own. I'd understand if they just don't release everything they have for strategic publishing decisions, but no, it's not even like that's the case. Take for instance Nintendo Japan published Metroid Zero Mission on Wii U eShop via GBA VC last year (and they don't even like Metroid from what I heard). Europe got it too just a couple months back. We're probably not going to get it here in North America. There's no reason to have held out this long.