Worst boss fight of last gen

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I'm pretty much making this thread to rant about the incredibly shitty final boss fight in Sonic Generations but to avoid "blog it" responses, I thought I'd make a more general topic.

Anyway, Sonic Generations is a very good Sonic game. Not excellent or anything, but like Colors, it's a legit quality product; probably the best 3D Sonic game actually. But the boss fights are shit (Perfect Chaos is admittedly kind of cool), especially the final one. You're Super Sonic and you have to keep boosting to hit this monster called the Time Devourer, but you feel slow as ****, like you're swimming in molasses and the controls are not very responsive. Your rings deplete one per second and you have to keep collecting them to stay alive. But the ugly ass level/environment is such a clusterfuck of sound and color (your friends will not shut the **** up, making things even more annoying) that you can barely see the rings. It's not even challenging; it's just horribly designed and soul crushingly unfun.

The developers should have went with simple end of zone both fights ala the 16-bit days instead of the overwrought but still bland boss fights that they actually put in the game.

Anyway, what was the shittiest boss fight of last gen IYO?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

Generations is horrible and so is colours and the worst boss fight last gen was in uc1 but the whole game was quitecrap so not surprising

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I doubt anything will top Warhammer Space Marine - the last fight was nothing but a sequence of QTEs without any kind of other input. It was ridiculously easy too, literally an autopilot and it wasn't actually impressive in any way.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Uncharted 1 had a really bad final boss fight

Arkham Asylum isn't bad, but it was completely stupid and didn't make any sense.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#5 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

QTE fight in Far Cry 3 and terrible scripted events of almost every COD game. Where is the fun in that?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I doubt anything will top Warhammer Space Marine - the last fight was nothing but a sequence of QTEs without any kind of other input. It was ridiculously easy too, literally an autopilot and it wasn't actually impressive in any way.

Lol, that sounds awful

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

You were in some kind of zero gravity situation, drifting towards the boss and once you got close you had to mash prompted button.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Crysis and Warhead - both bosses

Ugh.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Every boss battle in Tomb Raider's reboot.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52444 Posts

Bed of Chaos.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@top_lel

Do those Count as Bosses ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

Anyway I'd have to Nominate Dark Arisen..... Yes.... All the Bosses in Dark Arisen: The Gore Cyclops, which is exactly like the Regular Cyclops only nearly impossible to Stagger, Impossible to Knock over, has 9 health bars, is always in the Rage State and Deals a but load of Damage.....

The Elite DragonKin (Thunder Wyvern, Fire Drake, Frost Wyrm and Cursed Dragon), these are the exact same Dragons as The Ones in Gransys except the hit harder and have more health, in the lower sections of the Isle the like Sending 2 of them at you simultaneously, The Daimon, Magic is essentially useless against him, he's immune to practically all debilitations and has an Insta-Kill Trap attack which even if you survive it, drains you of all your Stamina, unable to counter Attack, his Awakened form is much more tedious to slog through with his heavy resistance to damage, reliance on casting spells instead of physical attacks and many many Health Bars..... Fucking Asshole.

and lastly, Death....... Death is more of nuisance than a challenge even compared to to the rest of the bosses, Death only has three moves, Teleport, Sleep Spell and Insta Kill Spin Attact, so hes not exactly interesting to fight, he has no particular lair he appears regularly, he just appears out of the blue while you in the middle of something and dissappears just as Quickly if you give him a Bloody Nose, that plus he is impervious to Magic and has a butload of Health Bars.

the only Exceptions is The Gazer, who was mildly interesting......

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Bed of Chaos

The lady in BioShock Infinite

Would qualify Seath the Scaleless for being scumbag game design

Every boss in Arkham Asylum

Now I didn't hate Human Revolution's boss fights because I was more or less the right build for them, even on hard, but the last fight was grating if you didn't exploit it

Coveteous Demon or whatever in Dark Souls 2

Borderlands 1 and 2 deserve shout outs for very closely adhering to the video game don'ts rulebook and making their bosses regular enemies with essentially larger health bars. "**** before that game happened, that guy took all us legendary Vault Hunters down one by -oh you beat him at level 17" oooookay Borderlands

Don't suppose it counts, but Resi Revelations because that last boss might have fucked up my Circle Pad with the forced dodging. But any boss where Chris says "it feels like there's a disco ball in front of my face!" can't be on the worst list.

The last dude in Uncharted 3

Zeus from God of War 3. Ugh. What a letdown.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@Blabadon

You can beat her by dying 10 times....... I think.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

about every one in Deus Ex HR

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blabadon

@freedomfreak: This is essentially Bed of Chaos the thread.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52444 Posts
@Blabadon said:

This is essentially Bed of Chaos the thread.

For real.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

Bulletstorm.

The whole game they build up your hate towards the sole antagonist of the game.

And this is how it ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpP2Sv_Xzhs&feature=youtu.be&t=3m59s

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: maybe

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Deus ex hr bosses definitely. Just spam typhoon and voila. Done. Loved the game though

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Deus Ex HR, take your pick.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 parkurtommo

@Blabadon: It's not that bad. I mean, I would get it if we were talking about normal games. But I think it was fitting in the context of that game. I think the level itself (Lost Izalith or whatever) was the worst part. God, I hated that place.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

QTE fight in Far Cry 3 and terrible scripted events of almost every COD game. Where is the fun in that?

This. Has much has i love FPS, they tend to extremely shitty boss fights and thsoe QTE ones, like even in halo 4, are just downright terrible.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 parkurtommo

@Stringerboy said:

@parkurtommo said:

Deus Ex HR, take your pick.

Technically they fixed them in the directors cut though.

They also broke everything else. :v

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Would qualify Seath the Scaleless for being scumbag game design

You did not get fucking cursed.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp

Bed of Chaos is obvious and deserves it, but the runner up to it is Killer Croc for me. All of Arkham Asylum's boss fights are dumb, but Croc being the way he works out is lame as ****.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blabadon

@jg4xchamp: @parkurtommo: The level's layout and annoying geometry (getting stuck on three inch vines every five seconds) made the boss even more exasperating.

Part of what made BoC worse was a lack of actual AI. Like you're gonna subject us to BS like Dark Souls' platforming ("platforming") and then there's no AI on top of that. You could stand still after the two side roots in an area and just wait. There's no test. There's no challenge.

Lol champ did you get cursed?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Blabadon said:

@jg4xchamp: @parkurtommo: The level's layout and annoying geometry (getting stuck on three inch vines every five seconds) made the boss even more exasperating.

Part of what made BoC worse was a lack of actual AI. Like you're gonna subject us to BS like Dark Souls' platforming ("platforming") and then there's no AI on top of that. You could stand still after the two side roots in an area and just wait. There's no test. There's no challenge.

Lol champ did you get cursed?

**** no, that shit was obvious as hell when you see the crystal mother fuckers, plus he rotates in a circle so you get behind him super fast.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blabadon

@jg4xchamp: Gotcha. Nah I didn't get cursed. What I hated was that in a game that mostly played you fair you have a mandatory death with him the first time, and that the stupid crystal to make him vulnerable was just that- stupid

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jg4xchamp

@Blabadon said:

@jg4xchamp: Gotcha. Nah I didn't get cursed. What I hated was that in a game that mostly played you fair you have a mandatory death with him the first time, and that the stupid crystal to make him vulnerable was just that- stupid

Eh the Crystal was fine, actually makes it something different from the rest.

The mandatory death is partially annoying. Because when it happens in Demon's Souls you might not have a shit load of souls, but you might going into Seath, and it's a long walk back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Can't really think of any. I didn't like any of the Uncharted final bosses. (Never finished Uncharted 3, though.)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#33 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Modern Warfare 2 was pretty bad

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GreySeal9

Okay, this is off topic and I'm derailing my own thread, but Metal Gear Rising is kind of shit. Has some cool ideas but the combat is clunky as ****; the game just doesn't feel good to control at all. Good thing I played the demo before buying.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jg4xchamp

@GreySeal9 said:

Okay, this is off topic and I'm derailing my own thread, but Metal Gear Rising is kind of shit. Has some cool ideas but the combat is clunky as **** and doesn't feel good to control at all. Good thing I played the demo before buying.

learn 2 parry. The game does a shitty job explaining how to play defensive (in fact that's been Platinum's big problem lately, they fucking SUCK at teaching you their game). Also the jump plus....y is a dodge offset move.

The game is the furthest thing from clunky or not feeling right in terms of control.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Generations is horrible and so is coloursand the worst boss fight last gen was in uc1 but the whole game was quitecrap so not surprising

You better watch your mouth! Those were good games! Much, much better than Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreySeal9

@jg4xchamp said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Okay, this is off topic and I'm derailing my own thread, but Metal Gear Rising is kind of shit. Has some cool ideas but the combat is clunky as **** and doesn't feel good to control at all. Good thing I played the demo before buying.

learn 2 parry. The game does a shitty job explaining how to play defensive (in fact that's been Platinum's big problem lately, they fucking SUCK at teaching you their game). Also the jump plus....y is a dodge offset move.

The game is the furthest thing from clunky or not feeling right in terms of control.

Parrying is what feels especially clunky to me.

Maybe I'll give it another try tho.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp

@GreySeal9 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@GreySeal9 said:

There is nothing to it though, red cross, push forward and x, hold if you want it to block if you feel like you're late on this. Sometimes the camera loses you, but the controls are on point in the game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GreySeal9

@jg4xchamp said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@GreySeal9 said:

There is nothing to it though, red cross, push forward and x, hold if you want it to block if you feel like you're late on this. Sometimes the camera loses you, but the controls are on point in the game.

Okay. I'll give it some more practice. Probably been playing too much Bayonetta 2 lol.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Dragon god in demon souls, it looks really cool but the fight is pretty dull.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Alan Wake.

Oh boy, a strong wind..

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Any boss from The Conduit. Morpheel from Twilight Princess's water temple put up more of a fight than any of those, and that thing was downright passive.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Nothing tops wonderful 101 locking two essential abilities in the store, and worse the game will never tell you to get them, if you don't look yourself or someone tells you, you're boned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Uncharted 1 and 2 final bosses.

Why.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Generations is horrible and so is coloursand the worst boss fight last gen was in uc1 but the whole game was quitecrap so not surprising

You better watch your mouth! Those were good games! Much, much better than Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom.

its not hard to be better than those games, 99% of games in existence accomplish that feat

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

Uncharted 1 had a really bad final boss fight

Arkham Asylum isn't bad, but it was completely stupid and didn't make any sense.

Uncharted 1 didn't have a final boss.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

This, hands down was so pumped for the final boss battle and felt totally deflated, it felt like a cheap anti-climax.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 parkurtommo

@Blabadon said:

There were no mandatory deaths in BoC lol.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By parkurtommo

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

its not hard to be better than those games, 99% of games in existence accomplish that feat

He's obviously joking.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu

@Bread_or_Decide:

I think Mathew Matosis mentioned that in his 101 Review... damn I love that bastard.