Witcher 3 Devs- We plan on maxing out the PS4/XB1 with Witcher 3.

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Poor Square-Enix. They don't have a chance in Hell. Projekt RED is going for the kill early. I don't know any RPG maker that can compete with these guys anymore. It's almost not fair.

http://stickskills.com/2013/07/20/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-working-to-max-out-ps4-xbox-one/

For CD Projekt RED, simply porting the PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to the new consoles would be too easy. The next-generation RPG wont be cutting any corners on either the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, as the developers have stated that theyre looking to max out this soon-to-be-released hardware early next year.

Were creating a really big game for three major platforms at the same time if somethings a challenge, its that, game director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz said. Additionally, developing on next-gen consoles is always a process to look forward to working to get the max out of the hardware and thinking how one can creatively use the technology is always a blast.

To be able to push mostly untested hardware to its limits this early on would be a true feat, but if anyones to do it, the bright minds behind The Witcher franchise are high on the list. Look to see if it all pans out for the Polish studio when the game hits PC, PS4 and Xbox One in 2014.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

what about the Wii-U?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts
Developers are going to be using that line a lot over the coming years.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
No chance.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

The gap between PC and consoles is getting much smaller.   It will be basically non-existant the generation after the next.  Now if only devs would add keyboard and mouse support for consoles.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

CD Projekt Red are one of my favorite developers and I am sure that they will do their best to push each platform. That said, it all comes down to the techniques used and how efficiently they max out the hardware. Most games max out the consoles, it's simply a matter of how well they max out the hardware.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

The gap between PC and consoles is getting much smaller.   It will be basically non-existant the generation after the next.  Now if only devs would add keyboard and mouse support for consoles.

Crossel777
The gap will always exist so long as the ability to customize your hardware remains an option.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

It will be easier for devs to program games for consoles this gen,but that doesn't mean you can max them out with ease.

Sure,CDPR will design tw3 in such a way that it uses console hardware in the best ways possible atm,but it takes time for game developers to make more efficient algorithms,refining old methods to make them better etc.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Developers are going to be using that line a lot over the coming years.freedomfreak
Yeah but something tells me these dudes are not the playing around type. I still don't know how they got The Witcher 2 to look like it does on the 360. The fact they made IMO the best RPG this current gen makes it even better. At the very least when this game hits I am betting it is far beyond anything on the consoiles at that point, And it will take a while for someone to match it.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

It will be easier for devs to program games for consoles this gen,but that doesn't mean you can max them out with ease.

Sure,CDPR will design tw3 in such a way that it uses console hardware in the best ways possible atm,but it takes time for game developers to make more efficient algorithms,refining old methods to make them better etc.

call_of_duty_10
Ur goodam sig is fking hilarious
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kalipekona

Crossel777

Nonsense. At the start of every generation consoles get close to achieving high end PC visuals, but then it all goes downhill from there. 

This generation of consoles is actually much weaker relative to high end gaming PCs today than the PS3 and 360 were at the time of their release.

003.jpg

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
And it begins. I GUARANTEE at least 10 devs will say that in the course of this new gen.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9900 Posts
It's easy to max out any hardware. Just add more and more snowflakes until the system can't handle it anymore.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

I'm guessing ultra settings on pc will still be a bit prettier than the console version, but the fact that TW3 is an RPG means that it'll suck on consoles anyways.

SuperNovaftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 SuperNovaftw
Member since 2013 • 2500 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]And it begins. I GUARANTEE at least 10 devs will say that in the course of this new gen.

And their games will look like... Shit
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Max out in under 6 months? haha this is like reading Crytek and their bs.
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59334 Posts

Alot of cool features carried over from the Witcher 1 to 2. Far more interesting than Bore Effects attempts. I hope they continue to carry over saves so I can laugh at Playstation 4 users and feel better about myself. I doubt Microsoft saves will carry over. Pc looks like a real winner.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts
Developers are going to be using that line a lot over the coming years.freedomfreak
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]And it begins. I GUARANTEE at least 10 devs will say that in the course of this new gen.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they accomplish that. Unlike previous console releases, the XB1/PS4 are using pretty much out of the box PC hardware, which developers are already incredibly familiar with (especially CDProjekt RED). I truly doubt there will be a significant difference between early next gen games and the games released later on in their life cycles like we saw this gen. 

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Happens at the start of every new gen.  Then 1 year later, pc dominatoes for 7 more years straight. 

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kalipekona

Alot of cool features carried over from the Witcher 1 to 2. Far more interesting than Bore Effects attempts. I hope they continue to carry over saves so I can laugh at Playstation 4 users and feel better about myself. I doubt Microsoft saves will carry over. Pc looks like a real winner.

uninspiredcup

They already confirmed that Witcher 2 saves would transfer over to The Witcher 3. 

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
I wonder how aren't they "cutting edges" when X1 runs on a 7770. its not some edges that should be cut, but whole textures and resolution
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

I love CD Projekt RAD, but no way they will push next gen platforms to their max this soon.

call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 call_of_duty_10

I think devs should refrain from speaking about the limits of consoles' power.

That guy from crytek(lol) stated that crysis 3 maxes out 360/ps3,and then BAM!TLOU got released,and it looks better than crysis 3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup

I love CD Projekt RAD, but no way they will push next gen platforms to their max this soon.

PAL360

The reason it took long with the PS3 was because the architecture for "the cell" sucked mighty big bollocks. Sony themselfs outright admitted this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup

That guy from crytek(lol) stated that crysis 3 maxes out 360/ps3,and then BAM!TLOU got released,and it looks better than crysis 3.

call_of_duty_10

This is terrible logic. Really bad.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

call_of_duty_10

No it does not. 

Sonysexual1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sonysexual1
Member since 2013 • 811 Posts

No chance. RR360DD

I have a feeling they'll make the ONE overheat and explode. The PS4 should run it easily.

Sonysexual1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sonysexual1
Member since 2013 • 811 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

xhawk27

No it does not. 

He's talking about the console version, filthy lemming. Get your eyes checked, btw.

call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 call_of_duty_10

uninspiredcup

This is terrible logic. Really bad.

What,just because a game doesn't use the best algorithms and methods to fully utilise a console's strengths,the dev should claim that their game pushes the machines to the limits? Not saying that TW3 will use bad coding,but it takes time to discover even better ways of doing the same thing.
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 uninspiredcup

xhawk27

No it does not. 

On console? Yea, it does. However "pretty" alone doesn't mean it's using more horsepower.

The models in Shogun 2 for example aren't as good as "last of us" however the fact you have so much shit going on at that level of details makes it require more horsepower and also makes it a technically superior title designed for men as oppossed to children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cnbouxMK8&list=TLYCkeeXwY_-s

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup

What,just because a game doesn't use the best algorithms and methods to fully utilise a console's strengths,the dev should claim that their game pushes the machines to the limits? Not saying that TW3 will use bad coding,but it takes time to discover even better ways of doing the same thing.call_of_duty_10

Playstation 4 (unlike Playstation 3) is pretty much a mutated pc. It's not like the cell with developers stratcher there heads and claiming it's a disaster.

Avatar image for KaguyaHouraizan
KaguyaHouraizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KaguyaHouraizan
Member since 2013 • 61 Posts

Gotta love CD Projekt. I can see Witcher 3 is going to be the Crysis 3 for our arguments this early gen.

call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 call_of_duty_10

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]What,just because a game doesn't use the best algorithms and methods to fully utilise a console's strengths,the dev should claim that their game pushes the machines to the limits? Not saying that TW3 will use bad coding,but it takes time to discover even better ways of doing the same thing.uninspiredcup

Playstation 4 (unlike Playstation 3) is pretty much a mutated pc. It's not like the cell with developers stratcher there heads and claiming it's a disaster.

I know that ps4 is easy to develop for,but even then,I really don't think that game devs won't improve their ways of optimisation.

Let me elaborate,by using a simple example.

Binary search is better than linear search for big (sorted)arrays.But if the algorithm for the former isn't available,it may seem as if it isn't possible to find the desired element in lesser time. Once it has been developed,though,you will be able to do the same task in half the amount of time, with the same hardware.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#35 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

uninspiredcup

The reason it took long with the PS3 was because the architecture for "the cell" sucked mighty big bollocks. Sony themselfs outright admitted this.

But 360 (an easy to develop for hardware) took equally long to be maxed out. Look at games like Forza 4, Halo 4 and Gears 3, compared to Forza 2, Halo 3 and Gears 1, respectively, and you see my point.

I'm sure it's matematically impossible to max out a console with just 1 or 2 years of experience with it.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

My body is ready.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i love CDPR

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I doubt it, I don't think PC developers are as talented as Console developers because people like Naughty Dog, Bungie, ect all have had to do their best with the hardware they were given (which were outdated).

I could be wrong though, this generation of consoles are much closer to PCs and are easier to work with so I'd like to see some of the better PC developers making better looking games for consoles. 

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

I doubt it, I don't think PC developers are as talented as Console developers because people like Naughty Dog, Bungie, ect all have had to do their best with the hardware they were given (which were outdated).

I could be wrong though, this generation of consoles are much closer to PCs and are easier to work with so I'd like to see some of the better PC developers making better looking games for consoles. 

WiiMan21

yea you are def wrong

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiMan21"]

Flubbbs

yea you are def wrong

You're going to have to say more than that to convince me.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kalipekona

call_of_duty_10

Jeeze, you really don't understand anything do you?

TLOU might be the more visually appealing game to you (and me) but that says nothing about which game is pushing the hardware harder. I guarantee Crysis 3 does max out the PS3 and 360...they are struggling to even run the game. TLOU is the same thing, it is maxing out the PS3.

The question always is, how efficiently is the hardware being maxed out and how do all the technical elements of the graphical design come together with the art direction to create something that looks visually outstanding.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

maxed out consoles one year into their life cycle? .....yeah

Witcher 3 is going to be awesome though

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts
That is sad they're already maxing out these consoles and they're not even out yet wow they're so underpowered lol
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 call_of_duty_10

kalipekona

Jeeze, you really don't understand anything do you?

TLOU might be the more visually appealing game to you (and me) but that says nothing about which game is pushing the hardware harder. I guarantee Crysis 3 does max out the PS3 and 360...they are struggling to even run the game. TLOU is the same thing, it is maxing out the PS3.

The question always is, how efficiently is the hardware being maxed out and how do all the technical elements of the graphical design come together with the art direction to create something that looks visually outstanding.

Technically,lots of games are maxing out the ps3. You could say that dragon age origins is doing it too,since the framerate drops below 30 at times. A game isn't 'pushing a console to the limits' unless it is showing the best graphical fidelity possible on it....Squeezing out more power than any other game released before.Of course,the size of levels should also be taken into consideration,since a linear game will always look better than one with an open world on fixed hardware. But since crysis 3 isn't a sandbox game,I would say that tlou beats it.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Ugh... they're not even out and already the "maxing out" talk is starting? CDPR I love you guys but come on

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Its sad that the game will be compromised in order to run on the xb1.

kingoflife9

It's a pity the game will be compromised to run on consoles more like

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
CD Projekt Red pretty much reworked everything to port TW2 to the 360. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.
metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

kingoflife9
not everyone has a i7-3960X and a pair of gtx titans
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="kingoflife9"]

metal_zombie
not everyone has a i7-3960X and a pair of gtx titans

I'd be happy if they made it scalable.