Will the $98 HD-DVD player FORCE Sony to drop the price of the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

(This thread will not be about the HD-DVD player, but how Sony can or cannot/will/should use the PS3 to respond)

So starting tomorrow (Friday AM), Wal-Mart--whom we had speculated for months to be jumping into the HD-DVD camp--will be offering an HD-DVD player for only $98. Ridiculous. Shocking. Amazing.

Given how important Blu-Ray is to Sony...and given that the PS3 is the unequivocal driving force behind the Blu-Ray effort (Blu-Ray still trails HD-DVD stand alone player sales by a significant margin), will Sony be forced to drop the price of the PS3 again before the holiday season ends?

As much as we know Sony would like to win the console war, they NEED to win the nextGen DVD war without question (much of the PS3 investment were justified by the presumption that they'd win the DVD war).

Do you guys think they are capable of dropping the price of the PS3 more or is this time for real concern at Sony?

Discuss this rather startling turn of events and how Sony can use its PS3 to respond.

Proof (for those that needed it):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931479&page=3

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

First of all, do you not remember that a price drop just occurred? Also, are you unaware that industry analysts, like Pachter, have said Sony will drop the price again in Spring?

There's a very good chance, even without the HD-DVD issue, that they'd be dropping the price anyway. Therefore, whats you point?

AND, you ignore the fact that there are stand-along blu-ray players that compete directly with the player you show. They will drop on price, for sure. PS3 doesn't have to.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Surprisingly inexpensive. Oh- Sure. I'd imagine this would put some strain on Sony to lower that price.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

PS3 ? No. ................ but entry level garbage blu-ray players = yes.

Superstrokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Superstrokey
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
looks impresive, im a blu-ray fan myself but this could tip the balance in the HD camps favour. ANyone know the specs on that bad boy? Im guessing 720 p only?
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts
Maybe, but I now prefer Blu-ray since they started using better codecs and dual-layer Blu-Ray discs.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
DVD and digital distribution still own these new formats.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
I don't think they can drop prices again, at least not enough to compete with a $100 HD-DVD player. Looks like Sony is up **** creek without a paddle.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

no. sony is too arrogant to acknowlege the threat... besides, they don't know whether to sell to gamers or movie watchers at this point.

i tried telling the cows that Walmart was going to push hd dvd...but noooooooo...:roll:

to bad Dire Weasel and the other bluray zealouts aren't still around.... :lol:

rexoverbey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 rexoverbey
Member since 2002 • 7622 Posts

WOW! Dude thanks for the heads up on the $99 HD-DVD. That is a full set top box I thought you were talking about the 360 HD-DVD going down to $99. This is much better!

mmirza23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mmirza23
Member since 2004 • 3457 Posts

the price drop will pretty much level the playing field, so no sony doesnt have to do anything YET, however if the studios exclusive to blu-ray start goingdual formats or jumping to hd-dvd then they would have to significantly lower prices.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tango90101

First of all, do you not remember that a price drop just occurred? Also, are you unaware that industry analysts, like Pachter, have said Sony will drop the price again in Spring?

There's a very good chance, even without the HD-DVD issue, that they'd be dropping the price anyway. Therefore, whats you point?

AND, you ignore the fact that there are stand-along blu-ray players that compete directly with the player you show. They will drop on price, for sure. PS3 doesn't have to.

The_Crucible

please list ANY bluray player at a big box retailer selling for $100...

or admit you made that up...;)

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

looks impresive, im a blu-ray fan myself but this could tip the balance in the HD camps favour. ANyone know the specs on that bad boy? Im guessing 720 p only?Superstrokey

Heres a link the the epec page for that HD-DVD Player.: Link

1080i is the max resolution.

ByFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ByFly
Member since 2006 • 1917 Posts

woooow... thats crazy hddvd for 98 bucks??? thats 70 euro.. 100 euro Is OK too doesnt matter...

woow if it really was that cheap even I would buy it... shame that I dont expect europe getting the same deal..

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#15 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
People, just to get this out there, the specs on the aforementioned HD-DVD player do not matter. The average consumer isn't going to care what it can and can't do. All they know is it's an HD-DVD player that only costs 100 bucks. This may be more influential than most of you think.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I don't see how Sony can afford to keep dropping the PS3's price. They are already taking a huge hit on every PS3 sold and have doubled the projected forcast for losses on the next quarter. As for industry analysts, we've all seen how accurate they've been. Funny how when they say what people want them to say they are Nostradamus but when they don't tey are buffoons. :)
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

The_Crucible

What are you going on about? Pachter predictions have nothing to do with the thread, of course sony will drop the price of the ps3 at some point. But will a $98 hd-dvd player force them to drop the price even more than they want to? Personally I dont think it will, the ps3 is still primarily a video game console after all. Most people bought the ps3 for games, not blu-ray movies.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
Toshiba is going to take over this HD war just like they did with the VHS. Flood the market with affordable players. Kmart recently dropped bluray support also.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dreams-Visions

The_Crucible

1.) Yes, I'm aware the pricedrop just occured. This thead is about when and how Sony will respond to it in the future. Try to keep up.

2.) No, there wasn't a good change that they'd drop the price without the HD-DVD issue. Not as significantly as they might have been considering now.

3.) What Blu-Ray player competes directly with this unit at this price? Baby, this thing is priced to MOVE. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the least expensive Blu-Ray player is STILL the PS3. If not, it's awfully close (+- $10). And for those who don't want to buy a videogame console (for good, obvious reasons), I don't think there's a good Gen2 Blu-Ray player under $500.

So yea...what's competing with this?

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

[QUOTE="Superstrokey"]looks impresive, im a blu-ray fan myself but this could tip the balance in the HD camps favour. ANyone know the specs on that bad boy? Im guessing 720 p only?Nagidar

So?

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deihmos
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

kevy619

What are you going on about? Pachter predictions have nothing to do with the thread, of course sony will drop the price of the ps3 at some point. But will a $98 hd-dvd player force them to drop the price even more than they want to?

Sony is losing so much money. How can they afford another price drop.

-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts

Force Sony to drop PS3 price? No. Force Sony to drop Blu-ray Player's price? Yes

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tango90101

Toshiba is going to take over this HD war just like they did with the VHS. Flood the market with affordable players. Kmart recently dropped bluray support also.Deihmos

exactly...!!!!

pricing and brandingis key.

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

WHAT THE HELL?

$98 HD-DVD player? Are you serious? That is crazy... thats cheaper than some top of the line DVD players I have seen at some stores here.

Only thing I know the HD-DVD brand has that's positive in advantage is the ability to play your DVD collection so you can store or sell your DVD player or give it to a friend or relative. And if it's at $98 hell I would buy one but I ain't cause it's not something I need in terms of HD tv's and all that. It's not important to me right now. But yeah I don't think Sony can lower the price anymore if than the new price drop for $399.99 I dont know if they are even making money on this new price drop even but I know they wouldn't be if they had to drop it again.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="Superstrokey"]looks impresive, im a blu-ray fan myself but this could tip the balance in the HD camps favour. ANyone know the specs on that bad boy? Im guessing 720 p only?Nagidar

It's only $100-$200. For most people, they won't care about the i/p. It'll look sensational. We're talking about the casual market now.

I don't see how Sony can afford to keep dropping the PS3's price. They are already taking a huge hit on every PS3 sold and have doubled the projected forcast for losses on the next quarter. As for industry analysts, we've all seen how accurate they've been. Funny how when they say what people want them to say they are Nostradamus but when they don't tey are buffoons. :)blue_hazy_basic

We'll see what happens. I'd love to see them roll up their sleeves and drop the PS3 price lower. Just not sure what else they can shave off to make it less expensive. They already took of USB ports and backwards-compatability.

frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#26 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts

People, just to get this out there, the specs on the aforementioned HD-DVD player do not matter. The average consumer isn't going to care what it can and can't do. All they know is it's an HD-DVD player that only costs 100 bucks. This may be more influential than most of you think.musicalmac

also there is the fact that true movie enthusiast watch movies in 1080i because its 30 f is closer to movies 24 f. so you have a closer experiance as to what you had in the theature.

but when i read about this on cnet a few days ago i thought the price was 198? a miss print maybe?

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
[QUOTE="Nagidar"]

[QUOTE="Superstrokey"]looks impresive, im a blu-ray fan myself but this could tip the balance in the HD camps favour. ANyone know the specs on that bad boy? Im guessing 720 p only?mjarantilla

So?

He was asking for the specs on it, so I showed him. :?

Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts
you do know sony sell seperate blue-ray player too
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dreams-Visions

Force Sony to drop PS3 price? No. Force Sony to drop Blu-ray Player's price? Yes

-L-U-I-S-

How low do you think they can/will go? I think the least expensive Sony Gen2 player is $499.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S300-1080p-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B000PALZE0/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3200186-3826345?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193932603&sr=8-1

Frankly, I don't know if they want to get into that pricedrop war. I think they'd be better served dropping the PS3 price.

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kcpp2b

Toshiba is going to take over this HD war just like they did with the VHS. Flood the market with affordable players. Kmart recently dropped bluray support also.Deihmos

I don't know who will win but I DO know Sony remembers losing to VHS and how they were actually beating VHS in the begining but then lost anyway..so I don't see how they could let that happen again.

If this happens and makes a big impact then I really see Toshiba trying their hardest to get MS to do a HD-DVD version of the 360.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PBSnipes
you do know sony sell seperate blue-ray player tooTnasty11
In Canada the cheapest BR player I can find is the 40gig PS3 at $399, that HD-DVD player obliterates the competition.
jessie5788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jessie5788
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
this has nothing to do with the ps3 if it was the add-on for the 360 then sony should do something, but all they have to do is lower the price of stan-alone players. plus hd-dvd doesn't have the movies why buy something and all the good movies on on blu-ray. by the way transformers ain't going to cut it. The top movie studios are on blu-ray.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

The_Crucible

they don't compete at that price range

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dreams-Visions

you do know sony sell seperate blue-ray player tooTnasty11
Obviously. The reason I'm looking towards the PS3 is because Sony has been disinterested in pricing their stand-alone players to MOVE. They're all hovering at or above $500 in retail. That's not a competitive price and hasn't been for a long time.

We also know that HD-DVD stand-alone players have been consistently outselling Blu-Ray stand-alone players. The X-factor thus far has been the PS3. It has been the least expensive, most accessible Blu-Ray player since the beginning. And since so much now rides on the shoulders of the PS3, it is logical to expect the biggest move to be made with the PS3.

I just don't see them dropping their stand-alone players from $500 to $200-$300. Do you?

The_Crucible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Crucible
Member since 2007 • 3305 Posts

[QUOTE="Tnasty11"]you do know sony sell seperate blue-ray player tooPBSnipes
In Canada the cheapest BR player I can find is the 40gig PS3 at $399, that HD-DVD player obliterates the competition.

Are you kidding? How many agmes does the HD-DVd player play? What controllers does it use? What media are the games on?

What a joke.

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kcpp2b

[QUOTE="Tnasty11"]you do know sony sell seperate blue-ray player tooPBSnipes

Sadly in Canada even though our dollar is higher that $98 HD-DVD will cost probably $872 here lol :p

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"][QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

The_Crucible

please list ANY bluray player at a big box retailer selling for $100...

or admit you made that up...;)

I hate you Tango, I really do. Do you even read the full posts. or does your brain just have you scan them for words that fit your ignorant scheme?

Did I say there was a blu-ray stand-alone for $100? NO! i said that if wither were to drop price, a PS3 or stand-alone, it would be the stand-alone because it more of a direct competitor to the HD-DVD standalone.

And isn't it funny that you can buy a whole stand-alone HD-DVD player cheaper than MS sells you one for the 360?

so list the bluray player that "directly competes" with the sub $100 hd dvd player...

face it; you lied and got caught...again...:roll:

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dreams-Visions

I hate you Tango, I really do. Do you even read the full posts. or does your brain just have you scan them for words that fit your ignorant scheme?

Did I say there was a blu-ray stand-alone for $100? NO! i said that if wither were to drop price, a PS3 or stand-alone, it would be the stand-alone because it more of a direct competitor to the HD-DVD standalone.

And isn't it funny that you can buy a whole stand-alone HD-DVD player cheaper than MS sells you one for the 360?

The_Crucible

You need to calm the hell down.

1.) You didn't make your post clear, or there would not have been price-related rebuttals to your commentary. Clear in YOUR HEAD =/= clear to everyone else. Think about that.

2.) What does that have to do with the topic? Damage control is an ugly, embarassing direction to take. Do not go down that road.

Srysly, responses like that are what get people kicked for a week.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

People, just to get this out there, the specs on the aforementioned HD-DVD player do not matter. The average consumer isn't going to care what it can and can't do. All they know is it's an HD-DVD player that only costs 100 bucks. This may be more influential than most of you think.musicalmac

that's correct. also 720p/1080i isn't bad at all considering that's what all HD content they get from cable/satalite use also.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tango90101

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="Tnasty11"]you do know sony sell seperate blue-ray player tooThe_Crucible

Are you kidding? How many agmes does the HD-DVd player play? What controllers does it use? What media are the games on?

What a joke.

how many games does a bluray player play? what kind of controller does it use? what media are the games on?

stop confusing standalone players with consoles... besides the ps3 still is hundreds more than the hd dvd players..;)

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Deihmos

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="Tnasty11"]you do know sony sell seperate blue-ray player tooThe_Crucible

What a joke.

People actually buy consoles to play movies? With this new low price i will definately be getting one this Christmas.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PBSnipes

What a joke.

It doesn't play games, its an HD-DVD player. It uses a remote. It doesn't have games, its an HD-DVD player. You, much like Sony, seem to think peoeple looking for HD video formats give a rats ass about gaming.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dreams-Visions

What a joke.

I think you totally missed his point. Let me help (because you're going a mile a minute and missing obvious things right now):

He was responding to the statement that Blu-Ray players are competitively priced. In that context:

1.) The PS3 is the least expensive Blu-Ray player on the market.

2.) looking at the PS3 purely as a Blu-Ray player purchase, it is being soundly beaten by this HD-DVD player deal.

That's all he was saying. If you're looking at the situation as teh PS3 being purely a movie player (since it is the cheapest player around, some people do pick it up for that very reason), you have to acknowledge the fact that it's not financially competing...yet.

Hence the thread. Will they drop its price? Because the DVD war is more important to Sony than the videogame war could ever be.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#45 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

I don't think it will force them to drop the price right now.

But with Paramont going only HD (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20360863/)

And the recent rumors that Warner will go soley Hd-DVD (As they have already shown some priority to HD with titles like The Martix) it really has to cause Sony to sit back and think about what they want to do with their stand alone players.

I believe the 40GB PS3 is the cheapest Blu-Ray player that will be on the market that we know of, and its 399.99.

With a 99.99 HD Player it may cause Sony to run to the drawing board and build a 199.99 or 149.99 Blu-Ray Player, but I don't see them dropping the 40GB PS3 that much more within the next few months.

jessie5788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jessie5788
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
just to let some of you know i think this is a one-day sale i read it on the link i think its on page 5
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="The_Crucible"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"][QUOTE="Tnasty11"]you do know sony sell seperate blue-ray player tooDeihmos

What a joke.

People actually buy consoles to play movies? With this new low price i will definately be getting one this Christmas.

My sarcasm detector is broken right now, so I have to answr your question directly:

Yes, SCORES of AV enthusiasts purchased PS3's because they were the cheapest and arguably the BEST Blu-Ray players on the market.

No interest in gaming; very interested in Blu-Ray.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

This thread is just another example of the hypocrisy of the Sony-haters.

When the PS3 drops in price, it is a sign of pure desperation and damage control. The cost of components decreasing, or the removal of hardware features, doesn't matter at all.

But when HD-DVD drops to dirt cheap prices, HD-DVD is awesome, stimulating competition and poised to take over the market.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]Toshiba is going to take over this HD war just like they did with the VHS. Flood the market with affordable players. Kmart recently dropped bluray support also.kcpp2b

I don't know who will win but I DO know Sony remembers losing to VHS and how they were actually beating VHS in the begining but then lost anyway..so I don't see how they could let that happen again.

If this happens and makes a big impact then I really see Toshiba trying their hardest to get MS to do a HD-DVD version of the 360.

With these kind of prices that would be pointless especially since most people don't buy consoles for movies. The price of the addon will decrease.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dreams-Visions

just to let some of you know i think this is a one-day sale i read it on the link i think its on page 5jessie5788
It's all specualtion right now. Nobody knows how long it will last. But we do know that a sale like this will get the attention of the nation like a commercial could not. And with HD-DVD players elsewhere selling in retail at $199 (my mother got one for $160 2 days ago), Black Friday coming and other reasons to drop it low it still adds up to the same kind of rush.

But yea, nobody is sure how long this will last. Maybe a day, maybe a week. Maybe while supplies last. Nobody is sure. But news is spreading like wildfire.