Will Steam Machines be a threat to console "exclusives"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

The argument that PC isn't in competition with consoles so PC/PS4 or PC/XBOX games are still "exclusives". Can that argument last for long with a console sized PC with a streamlined UI and controller and has pricing competitive with the Xbox One and PS4?

With recent E3 showings most of the so called exclusives at Microsoft and Sony conferences were available for PC. Valve already said that 35% of the Steam machines available for preorder have been bought then again we don't know how many there are.

Alienware at E3 recently stated that they are also encouraging developers/publishers to make SteamOS versions and have stated to expect announcements of AAA and Indie games for SteamOS. Already before this Bohemia has confirmed a linux port of ArmA 3 in the works, same for Banished, Skullgirls, with other developers also having a linux version planned or in the works.

Also I noticed FallOut 4 is coming out the same time as Steam Machines/SteamOS launch so a possible SteamOS version of FallOut 4?

An interesting thing both Cuphead and No Man's Sky are indies marketed as console exclusives are most likely going to have Linux/SteamOS versions. Hello games last PC game had a Mac and Linux version so they already have experience under their belt. Cuphead was originally going to be a PC first title till Microsoft came and moneyhatted it, the game is being made on Unity and Studio MDRH already said before the made the switch from XNA to Unity that they want to make a Mac/Linux port.

Even without native SteamOS/linux support for games and applications you can just install a $100 copy of Windows 10 which would equal to 2 years of paying for online on Xbox One and PS4. Also what about emulation? DX11 was recently announced for Linux by CodeWeavers and Wine so emulation of DX11 games performs better. Porting between DX12 and Vulkan is said not to be.

It seems EA isn't going to hold back on Linux port since DICE was allowed to publicly say they're interested in making for linux but want to see a market first. Since all EA games nowadays are made on Frostbyte, implementing linux support would be significant.

Is Sony going to go out of their way to make sure their PC/PS4 games are PS4 exclusive or do whatever they can so developers don't to make a SteamOS/Linux like Shenmue 3 and etc? Is Microsoft going to make sure that whatever PC game they moneyhat is a Windows 10 and Xbox One exclusive they've already did it to Gigantic.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

No, because there's still a long, long way for the SteamOS and Lynux in general to traction. In fact, i fully expect windows based, small form factor PCs like the Alpha to make front and center.

Has for the rest of premise, not for now. Without having a single company who owns it, "PC" isn't being pushed via marketing like the 3 consoles.

However, it's obvious many companies like AW and such, do wish to push forward and i can see these "console PCs" become more and more popular. In fact, since consoles have stuffed themselves with features upon features, Operation systems, disc installs, etc, sooner or latter, a convertion will happen.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#3 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Everything is threat to everything in one way or another. Those who say PC isn't direct competitor use this argument to hide the fact that they lack exclusives. Console library is already shorter than ever. No one makes AAA exclusives for Consoles willingly.

On other hand you see devs like Creative Assembly, Firaxis, Blizzard etc all make games for PC because they prefer to work on it. When Firaxis was asked about XCom 2 on Consoles, their answer was they like to work on PC.

So, either that happens in the case of PC exclusives or when games are technically impossible on Consoles. No one is paying them to not release their games on other platforms. Exact opposite thing happens when it comes to Console exclusives.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

So who is the target here for this Steambox?

Console gamers or PC gamers?

It looks like its useless for both parties.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

.. Disagree.. If more systems like the Alienware Alpha release, they are in trouble.. It not only can be had for anywhere between $400 to $450.. But it outperforms both the XboxOne and PS4 in visuals and overall performance.. All at a size of around a Nintendo wii, along with a full Windows 8.1 (and soon windows 10 in which we will see a significant performance boost).. For me this system is a great counter part for my desktop in being something I can travel with, use at a friends house or have a friend use..

For a console gamer, it is a terrific system entry level system that gives you access to the pc platform of games in all their glory..

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

nope average gamer wants a big ass name exclusive like halo or uncharted or mario under there tv

they don't trust steam they dont trust gabve newelll and they certain dont trust whatever that machine is

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ant_17

@sSubZerOo said:
@Ant_17 said:

.. Disagree.. If more systems like the Alienware Alpha release, they are in trouble.. It not only can be had for anywhere between $400 to $450.. But it outperforms both the XboxOne and PS4 in visuals and overall performance.. All at a size of around a Nintendo wii, along with a full Windows 8.1 (and soon windows 10 in which we will see a significant performance boost).. For me this system is a great counter part for my desktop in being something I can travel with, use at a friends house or have a friend use..

For a console gamer, it is a terrific system entry level system that gives you access to the pc platform of games in all their glory..

Ok

1 - I thought PC gamers hate Alienware?

2 - Aside from being better then the consoles in raw power , can we upgrade the parts in it or is it a "Hard" PC console?

3 - Uhm traveling with that seems like a stupid idea unless you know that your destination has a TV.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Steam already is, there a lots of games that prioritise Steam only as a distributor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814

@Ant_17 said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@Ant_17 said:

Ok

Prebuilt from any companies are not worth it.. This really doesn't qualify as one and is more akin to a laptop in size, components and a hugely competitive price.. I can't make a machine at that price range, at that size with a full windows 8.1 install.

2 - Aside from being better then the consoles in raw power , can we upgrade the parts in it or is it a "Hard" PC console?

You can upgrade the processor, ram and hard drive.. Only thing you can't upgrade is the gpu, but even then it is more powerful than current gen consoles.. And we are going to see a boost with dx12.

3 - Uhm traveling with that seems like a stupid idea unless you know that your destination has a TV.

You mean like every ones house and hotel in any western country? The thing weighs like 6 lb's and can be stored in a small bag..

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ant_17

@sSubZerOo said:
@Ant_17 said:

Ok

Prebuilt from any companies are not worth it.. This really doesn't qualify as one and is more akin to a laptop in size, components and a hugely competitive price.. I can't make a machine at that price range, at that size with a full windows 8.1 install.

You can upgrade the processor, ram and hard drive.. Only thing you can't upgrade is the gpu, but even then it is more powerful than current gen consoles.. And we are going to see a boost with dx12.

You mean like every ones house and hotel in any western country? The thing weighs like 6 lb's and can be stored in a small bag..

Not big on PC but what will i loose if the GPU gets old?

I think a laptop is still better for travelling , but its still a good reason.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

The PC is already competitively priced against current consoles. An entry level PC gaming rig will outperform PS4 and Xbox One.

Steam Machine will have to do something PC has never done if it wants to make a dent in the console market: release exclusive games that console gamers give a flying **** about. PC has never done that, there is no reason to believe Steam Machine will either.

They can't just hope to release something that's better at multiplats than console, PC already does that and offers every level of affordability and upgrade path that you can possibly imagine.

I absolutely can not see where this thing fits in at all tbh.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:
@Ant_17 said:

Not really. The simplicity is still not there. I own an Alpha and its an absolute pain in the ass to get some games to work (mainly older games). Unless games released are specially optimized for the 3 SKU's of Alphas, a console will always be the better option. It is a step in the right direction ( I guess) but this won't have anything on consoles for years.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#13 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

No.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Legend002 said:

No.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@sSubZerOo said:
@Ant_17 said:

Ok

Not big on PC but what will i loose if the GPU gets old?

I think a laptop is still better for travelling , but its still a good reason.

you can't upgrade your console's GPU either. the steam console will be more likely to last longer than either console too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@CRUSHER88: You can get a $10 mini keyboard Bluetooth pad that will make any kind of hassle launching the game if it requires a mouse and keyboard to navigate... Furthermore what are you talking about games needing to be designed specifically for it? It's a regular pc, on in which now the latest nvidia drivers work on. A better option? He'll no, not only does it run games better at higher frames, but you have options and freedom. Along with the capability to play over 15 years of games in the pc library.

So yeah I guess if you drool a lot the console would appear to be the better option.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

PC and consoles are already in competition. If I can get a game for my PC I won't pick up a console to play it.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@ten_pints said:

Steam already is, there a lots of games that prioritise Steam only as a distributor.

many are moving to ios first and then android and then steam last for digital stuff

cuz they go where thigns make the most money

aka ps4 ios etc are leading right now os that gets made first

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The masses don't care about PC games. Mom buys little Joey things from Target. This Steam Maxhine is just another version for nerds in basements.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814

@FoxbatAlpha: So what your saying is the majority of console gamers are in fact 10 year olds? Because that is basically what your implying with your statement....

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I doubt it. If the market does explode in some form all that will do will create competition from within, with different companies producing a large variance in quality. Eventually it'd be the same shit as "first on ASUS box" or "MSI exclusive".

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I get the point of the Steam Machine but geez is it entering a now saturated market though. You got to compete for the attention of gamers from the Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii, DS, Vita, Mobile phones, tablets, Alphaware, PC, Nvidia Shield and last but not least Ovaya (That system was a big joke in itself.), Yeah have fun with that. I mean I know it isn't in direction competition with all these devices but it does have the odds against it if one looks at all the possible ways to squeeze in gaming. Just saying.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#23 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

@sSubZerOo I'm not talking about adding a keyboard and mouse. Hell if you set up the Alpha with that combo, a controller WONT work on the "console". Its a known bug. I had to do a full recovery and go through the installation with just the controller to fix that problem. I mean games need to be optimized for the Alpha's so they run as intended (not like Batman AK). Console gamers are too lazy to tweak and play with settings to make a game work. Access to 15 years of games through steam doesn't matter if they don't work when you click "play". Look at Fallout 3 and NV discussion on steam. No average console consumer is going to go through that mess to make their game work.

If Steam Machines or the Alpha want to put a dent in the console market, it needs to be as simple as pressing play and the game actually working.

Here is the link of the Alpha not working with a controller if you set up the computer with a mouse and keyboard:

http://www.alienwarearena.com/forums/thread/83177/hardware-software/alienware-alpha-issues-with-controller-and-mouse-keyboard-input-solved

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

As a PC gamer I think the steambox has utterly missed the mark and will be a giant flop.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Not sure who TC is talking to. Most here on SW understand the difference between an Exclusive an a Multiplat, even if Fanboys and companies try to twist the terms. So if you're talking to most of SW, then you're late to the party, we've been through that years ago.

If you're talking to the fanboys... they never let reality affect them before, so why would they change now?

Finally, I think you're going to be disappointed if you think these things are going to make a dent in the console market. Consoles will continue to be cheaper with larger AAA libraries. Actual Gaming PCs will continue to be better values overall and completely stomp the library of a Steam OS machine.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

Console gamers are console gamers. Why would PC gamers want a Steambox?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Nope, not at all. Console makers will continue to put out games only available on their platform.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

It has flop written all over it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#29 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Steam Machines will just as effective to Console Exclusives as Video Cards are to Console Exclusives.

How long will it take for most of you to realize that Steam Machines aren't at all Special and they're just Prebuilt PCs with the Steam Logo on them?