Will PS4's lead force next gen to come early?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

PS4s monstrous lead has me worried, worried that the others will admit defeat and try to release their next consoles early to get a lead on the NEXT gen. Thoughts? I feel like long console cycles are great for the industry, it gives developers more time to release better games. Short console cycles can kill the whole industry in my opinion.

discuss.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

PS4s monstrous lead has me worried, worried that the others will admit defeat and try to release their next consoles early to get a lead on the NEXT gen. Thoughts? I feel like long console cycles are great for the industry, it gives developers more time to release better games. Short console cycles can kill the whole industry in my opinion.

discuss.

Can we discuss your terrible opinion first?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well Nintendo is already planning another device in the near future. I doubt MS will start too early

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

MS has a chance to give the XBone legs if they do some serious reinvestment into making more 1st party studios and drop the HDMI input in a new SKU to drop the price further. PS4 is at a point where they need to focus on getting games out there to push the platform. If anyone is being severely pushed into 9th gen, it's Nintendo.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

discuss.

Can we discuss your terrible opinion first?

why is that terrible?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

discuss.

Yeah? You enjoy same games re-released for 2nd or 3rd time so those devs can actually show their games how they wanted em to be originally but couldn't at that time because of 5+ years old hardware? No. Do not want. New consoles should be released in under 5 years with no exceptions.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

No, it will only make this gen better by focusing on the gamers.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

no.

the big 3 dont really care of they are leading. there is only one important question: are they making money? nintendo are not. are MS with the X1 (i honestly dont know and am too lazy to look for it)? sure its always nice PR to have the best selling console or the console with the highest attachment ratio or to be regarded as the go to console for 3rd party games. but these companies are not about to drop all the R&D and all that just because they are not winning the sales race.

also remember that it takes years to design a console. no one is in a position to have a new console ready at the moment.

in saying that i dont think this gen will last as long as the last. last gen went on too long...it should have been knocked on the head a year earlier than it was.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

What are we supposed to 'discuss'? Are you asking if MS and Nintendo are going to bring out new consoles next year because the PS4 is currently the market leader? No, they are not. Any other questions?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Yeah that 29% more power that the PS4 has over the Xbox One is a really huge margin. If MS does make another Console in four years time they better make the most powerful one.

srebmunahcnub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 srebmunahcnub
Member since 2015 • 70 Posts

no...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

What a terrible thread. lulz

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

What are we supposed to 'discuss'? Are you asking if MS and Nintendo are going to bring out new consoles next year because the PS4 is currently the market leader? No, they are not. Any other questions?

I don't think MS will but Nintendo are currently working on the NX. Who knows they might release early since the WiiU is tanking really hard.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I kinda agree, the console that releases earlier always wins a generation but fails to carry on the momentum to the following gen. It is the natural order of things.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blueinheaven

@quadknight said:

@blueinheaven said:

I don't think MS will but Nintendo are currently working on the NX. Who knows they might release early since the WiiU is tanking really hard.

I honestly don't believe for a second that NX is a home console. It's going to be some kind of weird tablet thing or even another handheld they would lose all the goodwill of their fanbase if they release another console so soon after they bought the Wii U, shitty piece of junk though it may be.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e66f5999640
deactivated-63e66f5999640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63e66f5999640
Member since 2005 • 495 Posts

@xhawk27: Lol the percentage is different everyday with you people.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

MS has too much invested and has so much to unlock in the future to start researching another console right now. Once Teh Cloud and DX12 are mainstream, then they can set forth building on that.

Sony has too much momentum to change a thing. The PS4 sells on its own. No games required. Plus the gaming division supporting the rest of the company that is dying can't last long. I don't think they would willingly invest in PS5 tech right now.

Nintendo can come out with a super console and I still don't think anyone will label it next gen. You have to take them seriously first.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: Long console cycles are good for the industry? Is that a joke? Do we not remember all the people saying the PS3/360 gen would be the end because of the massive sales decline? The best thing for the industry would be three to four year cycles with full backwards compatibility.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blueinheaven

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Nintendo can come out with a super console and I still don't think anyone will label it next gen. You have to take them seriously first.

If Nintendo come out with a super console (i.e. one that isn't completely shit which let's face it is unlikely) they would have all the third parties on board and also the manchilds who absolutely must have more Mario jumping up and down etc. They would rule completely. But they won't, so er, they won't.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@quadknight said:

@blueinheaven said:

It is currently tanking so hard that sales are up every month?

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Sony wouldn't give a **** about anybody elses "lead on next gen", so long as the ps4 were still selling, so it's kinda irrelevant.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

I think the weakness of the machines will cause this gen to be shorter than the last one. PS4 is the most powerful console of the three but even it is considerably weaker than it should have been. I'm not one of these guys calling for 4K capable machines cuz I think that's silly but PS4 and X1 should have had around 24 GPU compute units in them rather than 18 and 12. And they both should have had proper CPU cores or if you're gonna use weak Jaguar ones it should have been more than 8 of them.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@Wickerman777 said:

I think the weakness of the machines will cause this gen to be shorter than the last one. PS4 is the most powerful console of the three but even it is considerably weaker than it should have been. I'm not one of these guys calling for 4K capable machines cuz I think that's silly but PS4 and X1 should have had around 24 GPU compute units in them rather than 18 and 12. And they both should have had proper CPU cores or if you're gonna use weak Jaguar ones it should have been more than 8 of them.

Pretty much this.

Current gen consoles are WEAK. They won't be able to keep up with other technology (PC, tablets, TVs, etc.) if this cycle is as long as the last. Hell, they can't even do what they PROMISED to do in the first place (1080p/60fps), so they are already behind from the start.

If the big 3 are smart they should release new consoles no more than 4 years from now.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I definitely hope we get new consoles after 5 years. Last year's generation lasted way too long. I think 5 years is the perfect lifespan for a console.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

We should try and find a negative PS4 point of view that no one has done before.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

If Nintendo come out with a super console (i.e. one that isn't completely shit which let's face it is unlikely) they would have all the third parties on board and also the manchilds who absolutely must have more Mario jumping up and down etc. They would rule completely. But they won't, so er, they won't.

lmfao

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Well when MS realized the Xbox wasn't working they went right to work on the 360. So it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. But since they launched at the same time as the PS4 I kinda think they want to keep the same console cycle. The real wildcard will be Nintendo. I actually hope they keep the Wii U going until 2018 or 2019 until they fully master HD gaming and get their online situations figured out with DeNA.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

No. How is the fact that a console with good hardware design and lots of support from devs, being in the lead, a bad thing? Same happened last generation and it was awesome.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I see this gen as a kind of interim gen, what i mean by that is the makers release an averagely powerful console they can immediately make a profit on to rake in some money for a few years and then once things seem more settled they release a real full on powerhouse console the following gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

I hope it doesn't, the gen is just getting started and they are great games still yet to come out on both systems that I'm waiting for. The games will come for both consoles people just need to wait and besides, it isn't like there's no games to play right now on the consoles. Dying Light, Bloodborne, MKX, Sunset, Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Ori, Hell Divers......There's plenty to play if people stop whinning, bitching and moaning about numbers, graphics and my console is better than yours and see what games are out there to actually play right now.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

Yes and coincidently Sony will drop the PS4 when Halo 5 hits the street, weird eh? :P

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

discuss.

Long cycles are good for sony, Microsoft, and nintendo.. Allows them to sell a console that's pretty cheap to produce.. It's awful for consumers.. These current consoles already struggle to keep up with PC standards.. This gen needs to be over in the next 3 years or the gap between pc and console is going to be huge..

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#33 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@quadknight: well wiiu will be 3 years old this year so announcing new Nintendo console next year makes sense they may be the reason that ms or even Sony is forced into a new console also would have to do w how long they waited before releasing ps4:Xbox one

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#34 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Microsoft had NO reason to be arrogant but they did. PS3 surpassed 360 and they still didn't see that as threat. Now we are here with the PS4 taking 50% of the market. It's sad, really.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

MS and Nintendo's crappy hardware is more likely to force an earlier release than Sony's sales.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

Don't hold your breath. Nintendo is releasing a new system to be able to compete better with the PS4 and XB1. The manufacturing costs of the PS4 and XB1 are just to high for either company to consider releasing a new console in the next 3 to 4 years. I don't know why you aren't happy with the power that already sits under the hood of your PS4. As this was a much bigger jump in hardware technology compared from to the last 2 previous gen's jump in technology. You pretty much have a low end gaming rig.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Will PS4's lead force next gen to come early?

NO.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

The best strategy for consoles is to release moderately powerful machines every 5 years for no more then $400

The PS4's lead will ensure Microsoft launches the xbox 720 no later then 2018, forcing Sony to launch then too.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Don't care about lenght but i hope microsoft at least will learn the lesson and don't make a piece of garbage console next time.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

@osan0 said:

no.

the big 3 dont really care of they are leading. there is only one important question: are they making money? nintendo are not. are MS with the X1 (i honestly dont know and am too lazy to look for it)? sure its always nice PR to have the best selling console or the console with the highest attachment ratio or to be regarded as the go to console for 3rd party games. but these companies are not about to drop all the R&D and all that just because they are not winning the sales race.

also remember that it takes years to design a console. no one is in a position to have a new console ready at the moment.

in saying that i dont think this gen will last as long as the last. last gen went on too long...it should have been knocked on the head a year earlier than it was.

You're too smart for SW, please leave now.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

well it definitely wont be next year or even the year after that before a console is released so closest possible time I can see is 2018 which would be about 5 years later . 5 years seems like a reasonable time to debut/release a new console

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#42 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Nintendo will probably launch their next console earlier than Sony and Microsoft again, since they have discussed its development. But that probably won't even happen until a few years from now - 2-4 years I'll assume is when the NX will launch.

The other two will probably wait longer than that, but I assume Microsoft will want to move on to the next-gen before Sony. Microsoft was eager to usher in a lot of ideas that fans forced them to revise this gen.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I'll give Microsoft their 5 years then they will come out with a new console and probably drop all support for the current.

Although I would be more debating if they will even make a new console or double down on PC...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I hope not, i've got my PC for if i want to make frequent upgrades to keep near the top end graphically. I like consoles for their value, i like being able to drop £300 on a machine and feel comfortable that i can get 6+ years out of it. The games really needed the extra power by the end of the last gen and there's been a good jump in user friendliness through the better OS's and multitasking that make the consoles feel like big improvements. If the gen ends earlier i don't think we'd see the same level of improvements so i'd need something really game changing to convince me. Last gen brought multimedia and online gaming, this gen has given us a far more user friendly experience and multitasking, where could the next gen consoles go bar more graphical power?

Heck people complain about the lack of power in the current consoles but want much shorter gens? Fewer years to a gen to recoup on R&D and subsidizing hardware will only lead to skimping on hardware in consoles compared to the PC and further nickle and diming. Never mind that first year game lineups are usually mediocre.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

The PS2's lead wasn't why MS pushed the Xbox 360 out, it had to do with it's problems with Nvidia supplying the GPUs and not being flexible on the price, it partially why none of the big three want anything to do with Nvidia on their 8th gen systems and why Nvidia was so butthurt by it. Nvidia had amassed a good fortune on licensing for Xbox emulation BC on Xbox 360 and also had a hand in the PS3's Reality Synthesizer GPU feature. After that both MS and Sony and Nintendo wanted nothing to do with Nvidia, and Nvidia went all publically bitter about it like an angry ex-girlfriend.

Anyhow, the PS4's dominance won't signal start of the 9th gen, rather Nintendo's 8th gen failure will take care of that by itself.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

discuss.

The wii had stronger sales if I recall. It didn't make the gen any shorter...

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Probably. I can see the next Ninteno console out soon because the Wii U unfortunately did not set the world alight.

There won't be another Xbox console so there's no point anticipating that though.