Will DreamCast 2 Crash gaming in 2012?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for comstrikeiscool
comstrikeiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 comstrikeiscool
Member since 2004 • 3616 Posts

If DreamCast 2 comes out in 2012, would gaming take a crash with 4 consoles on the market? http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-12-2007-7049.html

BambooBanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BambooBanger
Member since 2007 • 1360 Posts

If DreamCast 2 comes out in 2012, would gaming take a crash with 4 consoles on the market? http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-12-2007-7049.html

comstrikeiscool

Um no, the market has grown DRAMATICALY since the last crash, I doubt another one would happen soon unless several other companies jumped on the bandwagon.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts
No, it will save us from a gaming crash in 2012, we just gotta worry about the end of the world :p.
covhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 covhunter
Member since 2004 • 946 Posts
I didn't realise Sega had the kind of funding needed to get into the console race anymore.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

The dreamcast one couldnt even put a dent in gameing what makes you think another one will "crush" gameing as we know it :lol:

I see the dreamcast like killzone the 1st on was complete garbage (They had a couple of good games though) so why support the second :?

Sakura321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sakura321
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't have touched a Dreamcast is because all of it's best games were coming out only in Japan :/
BambooBanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BambooBanger
Member since 2007 • 1360 Posts

The dreamcast one couldnt even put a dent in gameing what makes you think another one will "crush" gameing as we know it :lol:

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

People wont be looking back fondly and wishing the Wii were still around in 10 years time.

oddballrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 oddballrulez
Member since 2004 • 1642 Posts

I see the dreamcast like killzone the 1st on was complete garbage (They had a couple of good games though) so why support the second :?

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

While the dreamcast managed to flop abit. You cant say it was "garbage". it had some fantastic games on it! shenmue, Sonic adventure, powerstone 1 and 2, Resident evil Code veronica, resident evil 1-3, capcom vs snk, Marvel vs capcom, Jet set Radio, metropolis street racer, fur fighters, dead or alive 2, crazy taxi, Virtua Fighter 3. Just to name a few lol :)

seriously. it was a great console, and the fact it flopped and sega layed off the console market, was quite possibly the biggest travesty in gaming history.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
[QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]

oddballrulez

While the dreamcast managed to flop abit. You cant say it was "garbage". it had some fantastic games on it! shenmue, Sonic adventure, powerstone 1 and 2, Resident evil Code veronica, resident evil 1-3, capcom vs snk, Marvel vs capcom, Jet set Radio, metropolis street racer, fur fighters, dead or alive 2, crazy taxi, Virtua Fighter 3. Just to name a few lol :)

seriously. it was a great console, and the fact it flopped and sega layed off the console market, was quite possibly the biggest travesty in gaming history.

I said it had a couple of good games but in all it was an overhyped system that failed to meet my expectations. And sorry but I HATED shenmue I wasted 60 bucks on that pile :(.
Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

I doubt it will but I honestly don't think there's a new for another system. I'm already feeling a bit light in my wallet due to owning all three of the systems right now. We'll see though, as long as it has good games it's a buy. Yet I don't think gaming would crash once more, at least with the introduction of DC2.

Also, on another subject. What would we call followers of the DC2? Dreamers? Possibly because they "Dream" about the games that will come but never do?

AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts
Oh god it would be a disaster if Sega re-entered the console market, they have nothing. All their game franchises have gone down hill.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
Yes it won't.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44174 Posts

If a V.G. crash is forthcoming; on this one, Sega will not challenge Nintendo Wii for that historical distinction as Nintendo has that one wrapped up should it really happen again - some say it's precisely what "N" is trying to do.

Great for "N" - bad for gamers. :?

SyinnX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SyinnX
Member since 2005 • 839 Posts
I truly think Dreamcast was a great system. It was something new, and I guess some people were scared or something. But at the same time Sega did waste lots of money on stupid things. Lets see there was sega genesis, sega 32x, sega cd, sega gamegear, sega saturn ... and more. But you get my point, they wasted lots of money on stupid things. But when I thought they finaly did something good (Dreamcast), they decide to pull the plug. But it would be great to have Sega back, it would def have some great games. Shenmue for one was a great game, loved that game.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
yeah having to many options is bad, all that would do is cause even more games to go multiplat since fans of series of agame will be spread out between the4 and exclusive games wont sell well, plus now devs will have to speand more time and more money porting it to the dreamcast 2. unles dreamcast2 only has sega games on it which it most likely wont
latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 latinrage69
Member since 2003 • 2649 Posts

let me get the flame shield ready:

there we are...now as for my 2 cents.

if the dreamcast 2 and sega were to enter the console war in 2012, there may still be 3 consoles: the xbox 720, the nintendo (future project), and the sega dreamcast 2. where's the sony ps4, you ask? well they will not be in the console race anymore. with things going the way they are for sony and the ps3, them entering the console war for another battle is out of the question. they sold off their share of the cell to toshiba and said they will no longer be involved with it. by sony's own admission, they said that they will be restructuring their company by selling off unprofitable divisions and focusing on their profitable divisions (cameras, tv's, and computers.) they have lost billions in the R&D and production of the ps3 which will take them years to make back (like ms...beat you to it cows :P). also, the most tell tale sign of them all, ms and nintendo not only have already started to design their new consoles, they let us know fo their intentions. ms said they will design and manufacture their own cpu of the xbox 720 and nintendo said their forthcoming console will incorporate 1080p. sony has remained mum on this matter. for those that feel "so what. this doesn't mean anything", remember, sony started designing the ps3 one year BEFORE the launch of the ps2.

next gens competitors will be the xbox 720, nintendo (future project), and the sega dreamcast.

on a personal note, hopefully ms enters the portable gaming market.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44174 Posts

if the dreamcast 2 and sega were to enter the console war in 2012, there may still be 3 consoles: the xbox 720, the nintendo (future project), and the sega dreamcast 2. where's the sony ps4, you ask? well they will not be in the console race anymore. with things going the way they are for sony and the ps3, them entering the console war for another battle is out of the question. they sold off their share of the cell to toshiba and said they will no longer be involved with it. by sony's own admission, they said that they will be restructuring their company by selling off unprofitable divisions and focusing on their profitable divisions (cameras, tv's, and computers.) they have lost billions in the R&D and production of the ps3 which will take them years to make back (like ms...beat you to it cows :P). also, the most tell tale sign of them all, ms and nintendo not only have already started to design their new consoles, they let us know fo their intentions. ms said they will design and manufacture their own cpu of the xbox 720 and nintendo said their forthcoming console will incorporate 1080p. sony has remained mum on this matter. for those that feel "so what. this doesn't mean anything", remember, sony started designing the ps3 one year BEFORE the launch of the ps2.

next gens competitors will be the xbox 720, nintendo (future project), and the sega dreamcast.

latinrage69

Note highlighted.

I just can't wait for the loyal sheep this gen who shout from the roof top how graphics, A.I. On-line and the rest don't matter only to have them same sheep next gen argue how Nintendo has the best or most powerful console and the graphics are the selling point !

You all know this will be the case don't you ? :lol:

thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts
Sega simply dont have to income to support a new console anymore, as all of it's traditional brands have either been sold off to other companies or become plain terrible. As for the PS3, it will probably win over the 360 eventually, but i dont think it will have a landslide victory like the PS2 did. The Wii's days are numbered once games with graphics and gameplay that games such as Killzone 2 will offer become common, probably around 2009 ish is my best guess.
latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 latinrage69
[QUOTE="latinrage69"]

SecretPolice

Note highlighted.

I just can't wait for the loyal sheep this gen who shout from the roof top how graphics, A.I. On-line and the rest don't matter only to have them same sheep next gen argue how Nintendo has the best or most powerful console and the graphics are the selling point !

that's so true. case in point: cows. last gen they had a console with the worst graphics but the most sales in units. this gen cows say that the ps3 has superior graphics (despite the fact that every game on the 360 looks better. one specifically: gears of war.) and that sales don't matter, only waiting does. the ps2 also had the most games of any of the last gen consoles while the ps3 is virtually devoid of games. hell of a movie player though, although i can download full-length HD movies from the xbox live video marketplace and stream HD video from my computer to the xbox while the ps3 doesn't have an online movie store and the video streaming is limited to mpeg 2 and some, but anot all mpeg 4 (no divx, xvid, or avi, just h.264).

latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 latinrage69

Sega simply dont have to income to support a new console anymore, as all of it's traditional brands have either been sold off to other companies or become plain terrible. As for the PS3, it will probably win over the 360 eventually, but i dont think it will have a landslide victory like the PS2 did. The Wii's days are numbered once games with graphics and gameplay that games such as Killzone 2 will offer become common, probably around 2009 ish is my best guess.thekodaman

all of the highlighted is BS.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts
SAVE_US.DC2
grandlx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 grandlx2
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts

latinrage69

Sorry to tell you this, but microsoft will end up in last place this console gen.

PS3 has already seen a huge boost in sales since the lower priced models have came out. The xbox 360 hasn't sold more than 4.5 million units since the PS3's launch. the Ps3 has. And now they are selling enough, that soon they will over throw xbox 360 for 2nd place. But they won't overthrow The Wii from 1st. It's impossible to beat nintendo this generation, they have played their cards tooooooo damn well. And won.

Seriously consider how much the xbox has only sold 80% of their hardware in the USA only. and 18% in europe and other surrounding countries. And less than what? 400k in Japan?

Think without your fanboy mind for a second, and you will agree with my statement. And soon it will be proven a fact.

Sdur001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sdur001
Member since 2006 • 96 Posts
Sorry to tell you this, but microsoft will end up in last place this console gen.

PS3 has already seen a huge boost in sales since the lower priced models have came out. The xbox 360 hasn't sold more than 4.5 million units since the PS3's launch. the Ps3 has. And now they are selling enough, that soon they will over throw xbox 360 for 2nd place. But they won't overthrow The Wii from 1st. It's impossible to beat nintendo this generation, they have played their cards tooooooo damn well. And won.

Seriously consider how much the xbox has only sold 80% of their hardware in the USA only. and 18% in europe and other surrounding countries. And less than what? 400k in Japan?

Think without your fanboy mind for a second, and you will agree with my statement. And soon it will be proven a fact.

grandlx2
Yep, because the 360 is only beating the PS3 in sales worldwide(America+Europe+Japan) every month and the PS3 has yet to change that trend. You sir are right. Nice FACT you posted. That'll show 360 Fanboys :-|
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
sony will be out of the race by then.
grandlx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 grandlx2
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts
[QUOTE="grandlx2"][QUOTE="latinrage69"]

Sdur001

Yep, because the 360 is only beating the PS3 in sales worldwide every month and the PS3 has yet to change that trend. You sir are right. Nice FACT you posted that'll show 360 Fanboys :-|

Worldwide eh? Show me the 360's sells for Europe, and Japan.

Sdur001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sdur001

sony will be out of the race by then.shoeman12
Yeah because Sony doesn't make money on anything but the PS3. Let us not count the PSP/PS2/PS3 that are still selling well.

I really hope you guys are not adults!

H3llstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 H3llstrike
Member since 2006 • 1877 Posts
Interesting. more choices for the consumer the better. I had some good times on the Dreamcast, good luck Sega if this pans out that is!
Sdur001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sdur001

Worldwide eh? Show me the 360's sells for Europe, and Japan.

grandlx2

LOL, I knew I was gonna have to elaborate on this to you. I mean combined sales. The 360 is outselling the PS3 in combined sales. If you need proof please go to any website that post console sold this year (or even you can combine the NPDs for this year).

latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 latinrage69
[QUOTE="latinrage69"]

grandlx2

the gba was outselling the ps3 up until november so how is the ps3 selling well. even at $400 sony can't get enough people to buy their blu-ray player with some sort of "gaming" capability. seriously, it's been two years and though ms is at second place behind the wii (not by that much mind you), the ps3 will never catch up. it's said that first impressions speak volumes, and in sony's case, their first impression left everyone speechless. how the hell are you going to come into the market with a $600 console after saying that even if the ps3 came to market without any games, they will sell 5 million units. how did that go again? oh yea, they sold 1 million units then the sales came to a screeching halt until the euro launch 4 months later in march.

the ps3 will be in dead last until next gen and they will NOT enter the next gen. they have lost too much money on the utter failure that is the ps3. why do you think ken kutaragi is no longer leading the gaming division? if he didn't step down, they would have fired his ass for losing $2 billion in 2 months. ms didn't lose that much money until half way though the life of the xbox original (that's 2 YEARS not 2 MONTHS!)

say "goodbye" to sony and "welcome back" to SEGA!!!

edit:

off topic but this is for everyone: type kutaragi then do a spell check. click the word and see the first suggested correction. it's priceless.

itsme185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 itsme185
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts

edit:

off topic but this is for everyone: type outrage then do a spell check. click the word and see the first suggested correction. it's priceless.

latinrage69

lmfao
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

You sir are a noc. Nothing more, nothing less.

KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts
Dreamcast 2 that would rule.
latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 latinrage69
[QUOTE="latinrage69"]

edit:

off topic but this is for everyone: type kutaragi then do a spell check. click the word and see the first suggested correction. it's priceless.

itsme185

lmfao

about your sig:

"have you even heard of teh blu-ray?! it's teh future!!"

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts
[QUOTE="latinrage69"]

grandlx2

Unfortunately, I've been hoping for a total flop from Nintendo (the GameCube was close) that would send them the way of SEGA... how sweet would it be to buy Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games for your 360 or PS3? I dislike my Wii. I would rather have less quirky controllers to play Nintendo's great franchises.

DHReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DHReese
Member since 2007 • 455 Posts

:oNostradamus is true:o The Dreamcast returns to purge the unbelievers in 2012!

All Hail Sega!

All Hail Dreamcast!

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts
This article is from June 12th, 2007 :? I really don't think this is going to happen, not at all.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

This article is from June 12th, 2007 :? I really don't think this is going to happen, not at all.goodlay

You read it backwards dude.

6/12/07 in europe is 6th, December, 2007

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts
No, it will save us from a gaming crash in 2012, we just gotta worry about the end of the world :p. Prince_Denspion
Agreed. I don't think I'll make it to be 40 years old with the way the world is going...Man humans fight for such insignificant reasons.
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts
[QUOTE="oddballrulez"][QUOTE="Gh0st_Of_0nyx"]

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

I said it had a couple of good games but in all it was an overhyped system that failed to meet my expectations. And sorry but I HATED shenmue I wasted 60 bucks on that pile :(.

what do you know, thats about how i feel about the wii. i wasted 250 on it

i loved my dreamcast though....good times, good times

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts

[QUOTE="goodlay"]This article is from June 12th, 2007 :? I really don't think this is going to happen, not at all.Netherscourge

You read it backwards dude.

6/12/07 in europe is 6th, December, 2007

Ah, sorry I didn't notice.

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts
[QUOTE="latinrage69"]

grandlx2

At the very least, not soon. The PS3 needs a massive sales spike to not only make up for being outsold in NA, but to dig themselves out of the one year hole the 360 has constructed for them. Whether or not they'll eventually take over 2nd place is anyone's guess, but there's no way in hell it'll be soon; not when the 360 outsells the PS3 in the biggest market in the world...

And if a Dreamcast 2 comes out, I think that essentially means that gaming nirvana has been reached...

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Netherscourge

You know.... Dreamcast 2 would definately be somthing to watch out for. Consider the EXCLUSIVES...

Sonic the Hedgehog Games (Platformer)

Crazy Taxi (Arcade Racing)

Nights (Platformer)

Shinobi (Action - Ninja-Gaiden competition)

2K sports games (Visual Concepts is owned by Sega - they make NFL/APF 2K games, NHL 2K, MLB 2K, NBA 2K,etc... Imagine when EA's NFL license expires and VC can make NFL games again?)

Shenmue (not sure how to describe this one lol)

Phantasy Star (RPG/ORPG)

Skies of Arcadia (RPG)

Sega Rally and Sega GT(Racing)

Virtua Fighter Games (Fighting)

Jet Grind Radio (skating)

Space Channel 5 (Music/Rythm game)

Ecco the Dolphin (kiddie crap)

Sega could easily destroy both the Xbox 360 AND the PS3's launch lineups just with EXCLUSIVES...

Man - I hope this is true. And I hope Sega learned from it's past mistakes.

Heck, Sega could go with full HD-DVD support if they wanted, to knock out the 360 and to compete with Blu-Ray.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 REforever101

You know.... Dreamcast 2 would definately be somthing to watch out for. Consider the EXCLUSIVES...

Nights (Platformer)

2K sports games (Visual Concepts is owned by Sega - they make NFL/APF 2K games, NHL 2K, MLB 2K, NBA 2K,etc... Imagine when EA's NFL license expires and VC can make NFL games again?)

Phantasy Star (RPG/ORPG)

Skies of Arcadia (RPG)

Sega could easily destroy both the Xbox 360 AND the PS3's launch lineups just with EXCLUSIVES...

Heck, Sega could go with full HD-DVD support if they wanted, to knock out the 360 and to compete with Blu-Ray.

Netherscourge

i dont think anything u just listed are exclusives anymore. im not sure how this legal "who owns what rights" stuff works, but a lot of the games you listed have been on other consoles since the dreamcast failed

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Netherscourge

i dont think anything u just listed are exclusives anymore. im not sure how this legal "who owns what rights" stuff works, but a lot of the games you listed have been on other consoles since the dreamcast failed

REforever101

Sega owns the rights to ALL those franchises... They can limit new versions of those games to their own console if they choose to in the future.

The same way Square Enix can pick and choose the platforms it makes games for, so can any other Developer/Publisher.

The only reason Sega makes multi-plats NOW is because they don't have their own console on the market right now.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 REforever101

[QUOTE="REforever101"]

Netherscourge

Sega owns the right to ALL those franchises... They can limit new versions of those games to their own console if they choose to in the future.

The same way Square Enix can pick and choose the platforms it makes games for, so can any other Developer/Publisher.

oh, i c. thxs for clearing that up

latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 latinrage69

dreamcast 2 debunked.

link

too bad, though. i was really looking foward to it.

"Sega of America PR Director Charlie Scibetta is currently looking into the trademark issue and why it was updated. In the meantime he told us that Sega "has no plans to get back into the console business," adding, "We're very happy being a platform agnostic company and have moved up the ranks the past three years from #11, to #9, and now stand at #6 in terms of our market share by units among third-party publishers. We like our current strategy and have no plans to change in the middle of this outstanding growth."

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
[QUOTE="latinrage69"]

SecretPolice

Note highlighted.

stop reading when I saw the already planned and in the works ps4 being axed. Seriously where do u get crystal balls.

And understand that nintendo and M$ haven't really accomplished much considering their fanbase from last gen.

zeldafan00013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 zeldafan00013
Member since 2004 • 6575 Posts
Sega should learn how to make good games again before they make a new system.
ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts

Nights (Platformer)

Phantasy Star (RPG/ORPG)

Skies of Arcadia (RPG)

Netherscourge

Add spartan total war from ps2. Sure their gonna make a total war for it.