will counter-strike ever get dethroned as the King of competitive FPS?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#51 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I honestly think you're grouping CS and CS:Source in together too much. I went from 1.2-ish to CS:Source and never looked back. I loved the changes and the graphics, but some people are still stuck in the stone age I guess. With 1.6, there are some huge core gameplay differences between Source.

So in that end, yes I hope Counter-Strike gets dethroned by either Source or Counter-Strike 2 or something. The world needs to move forward, even if it's a little bit at a time ;)

Squeek37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Squeek37
Member since 2003 • 697 Posts
[QUOTE="crazedweasle"]

[QUOTE="Game_Addict247"]I think a lot of people would say Unreal Tournament takes more skill, it's just that Counter Strike is more popular.Eddie-Vedder

ut doesnt take more skill than 1.6 IMO source maybe

You kidding me? UT takes way more skill, go play UT99 jump into a deathmatch, you´ll easily get raped, and the next guy that comes in can rape the dude the raped you and so on, in UT you don´t really get to many lucky kills in 1on1´s if you don´t know what your doing your screwed CS is much easier to get into. UT is probably the FPS with the largest "skill meter" if that makes any sense out there.

That's a hefty assumption. The same thing happens in CS. If you don't know what you're doing, you will be thoroughly put down. It's well known that CS is a difficult game for beginners, since there are so many people out there that have already been playing for years. Skill in CS also involves knowing teamwork and strategy on top of weapon mastery.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="crazedweasle"]

[QUOTE="Game_Addict247"]I think a lot of people would say Unreal Tournament takes more skill, it's just that Counter Strike is more popular.Squeek37

You kidding me? UT takes way more skill, go play UT99 jump into a deathmatch, you´ll easily get raped, and the next guy that comes in can rape the dude the raped you and so on, in UT you don´t really get to many lucky kills in 1on1´s if you don´t know what your doing your screwed CS is much easier to get into. UT is probably the FPS with the largest "skill meter" if that makes any sense out there.

That's a hefty assumption. The same thing happens in CS. If you don't know what you're doing, you will be thoroughly put down. It's well known that CS is a difficult game for beginners, since there are so many people out there that have already been playing for years. Skill in CS also involves knowing teamwork and strategy on top of weapon mastery.

UT is more difficult for veterans however, in deathmatchs for example .. you can be as good as you think you are then bam someone achieves 50 kills when your on 30 , and your like "wtf I had killing sprees and was owning!"

While on counterstrike its just knowing where to camp and learning the shooting mechanics and you can domate until a server switch.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

[QUOTE="lespaul1919"]www.mlgpro.comEndfinal

ESWC, WCG, CGS, WSVG, Dreamhack, CPL > MLG.

funny, i dont remember seeing those on national televsion.....

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

I honestly think you're grouping CS and CS:Source in together too much. I went from 1.2-ish to CS:Source and never looked back. I loved the changes and the graphics, but some people are still stuck in the stone age I guess. With 1.6, there are some huge core gameplay differences between Source.

So in that end, yes I hope Counter-Strike gets dethroned by either Source or Counter-Strike 2 or something. The world needs to move forward, even if it's a little bit at a time ;)

MyopicCanadian

its not like CS:S is unpopular...it almost has the same amount of players as CS.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

MyopicCanadian

its not like CS:S is unpopular...it almost has the same amount of players as CS.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

CS:Source was dethroned in my books by R6: Vegas, and to a far lesser extent Shadowrun.

I still play CS:S from time to time, zombie mod is fun - but it's really starting to show it's age and the mod community just SUCKS at making decent maps.

projectpat2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 projectpat2007
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts
[QUOTE="Endfinal"]

[QUOTE="lespaul1919"]www.mlgpro.comlespaul1919

funny, i dont remember seeing those on national televsion.....

What is the point of your post, just to get owned?

Squeek37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Squeek37
Member since 2003 • 697 Posts
[QUOTE="Squeek37"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="crazedweasle"]

[QUOTE="Game_Addict247"]I think a lot of people would say Unreal Tournament takes more skill, it's just that Counter Strike is more popular.Meu2k7

UT is more difficult for veterans however, in deathmatchs for example .. you can be as good as you think you are then bam someone achieves 50 kills when your on 30 , and your like "wtf I had killing sprees and was owning!"

While on counterstrike its just knowing where to camp and learning the shooting mechanics and you can domate until a server switch.

You are just talking about playing random servers. I am talking about competitive play, which you have clearly never tried.

lariz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lariz
Member since 2005 • 225 Posts
[QUOTE="lariz"][QUOTE="tenaka2"][QUOTE="lariz"]

BF2 > CS...anyday.

"Battlefield 2 is the best modern, tactical first person shooter to ever come out"

You can quote me on ths.

tenaka2

Your 'opinion' is overruled by the number of players and servers dedicated to CS.

Of course it's my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

Opinions tend to start with 'In my opinion......'

We live in the year 2007 where, "in my opinion", no longer needs to be stated. Considering 98% of all GS topics are the users "opinions".

NoNam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 NoNam3r
Member since 2004 • 831 Posts

[QUOTE="Magical_Guy"]everyone plays de_dust it's so lameDave_NBF

i hardly ever see dust. it is ct biased. Dust 2 on the other hand....

but who cares that is why you filter what you want to play or find a cAL rotation server. That is a lame reason to hate on the game. It is the MOST popular FPS and most competitive. I don't think I said it takes the most "skill" as UT takes more twitch reflexes. I thought there would be more educated responses than these....

Starcraft is a better competitive game than CS and takes waaay more skill but that's RTS. Quake also takes more skill than CS because that game allows you to shine. the skill cap in that game is like comparing a Varsity basketball player to Lebron. that's a huge jump. Quake simply has more depth than CS with timing the armor the movement, the physics (rocket jumping and plasma wall riding). If you go onto a dueling server you will get raped if it's your first time. I gurrantee you won't even get 1 frag. while in CS if you hop into a CAL rotational server that has a 10 player max (competitive settings) you will get a few lucky kills while in Quake you have to work for every single one of your frags. That is why CS is so popular is because the noobs can play. While some players are better than others the noobs can still have fun by getting a few lucky frags. That is why only a few people play true competitive games like Quake 4, PK, Warsow, Quake 3 duels

anyways I just read a few pages and found out that this community knows nothing about competitive gaming. I see things like BF2 is the best competitive game and things like that:P

NoNam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 NoNam3r

[QUOTE="XxR0gu3Go0sexX"]Sorry... Thats a Nice Wall, but HaloReally did Bring Competative Gameing into the Light... Counter-Strike may take more skill and be funner, But as far as the masses are consored its all about Halo...Meu2k7

ERm no Halo is not the MP FPS that started the competitive play, it was CS:1 ... Halo is like Battlefield, some things require skill, others are viechle whoring / large weapon whore or "LOL STICKY GRANADS! awesome!" >>

lol viechle whoring MLG doesnt even use maps with viechle dumb as$ so don't post until you know a little something about MLG and learn how to spell vehicle dumb as$

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

[QUOTE="XxR0gu3Go0sexX"]Sorry... Thats a Nice Wall, but HaloReally did Bring Competative Gameing into the Light... Counter-Strike may take more skill and be funner, But as far as the masses are consored its all about Halo...NoNam3r

ERm no Halo is not the MP FPS that started the competitive play, it was CS:1 ... Halo is like Battlefield, some things require skill, others are viechle whoring / large weapon whore or "LOL STICKY GRANADS! awesome!" >>

lol viechle whoring MLG doesnt even use maps with viechle dumb as$ so don't post until you know a little something about MLG and learn how to spell vehicle dumb as$

I dont give a rats ass about a company that was so cheesey to steal a real sporting games logo and make out its the real deal, much less that they dont use a good portion of the game in thier competitions :lol:.

Want to be nit-picky? ass doesnt have a dollar sign in it. :roll:

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#65 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Counter Strike is popular but it is not the greatest competitive FPS out there. It gets quite boring after a while because every level usually end up turning out the same every time you play it.

Day of Defeat on the other hand (Counter Strike's lesser known but much more "intelligent" brother) has hardly the same game no matter how many times you play it. It is fast, hectic and if you don't play with your team, you are destined to lose. Day of Defeat destroys Counter Strike when it comes to awesomeness... at least... in my opinion.
Avatar image for FlamingFlamingo
FlamingFlamingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 FlamingFlamingo
Member since 2005 • 1287 Posts
Counter-Strike is good and all, but I wouldn't call it "King". Unreal Tournament, Halo 2, and other promising upcoming games look a lot better than CS. Crysis for example, looks like it will have a great multiplayer too. Halo 3 may have a very good multiplay as well.
GarchomPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 GarchomPro
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
CS 1.6 = Greatest FPS to date not to mention most played
F1sTDaCuffS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 F1sTDaCuffS
Member since 2005 • 2570 Posts
CS is garbage. the only reason it was anything. it was the first of its kind with graphics. this game does'nt even have look down sights. it has cross hairs that light up red. its junk. game over. nothing more then the first born. period. its kinda like the first apple computer. its only a matter of time before something else is better.
shaggymcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 shaggymcp
Member since 2003 • 2896 Posts

Sorry TC but thats all a matter of opinion, and also keep in mind, that just because CS has such big numbers playing it does not mean anything. If you look at ANY of those hardware survey's that valve takes the average user of Steam has a very crappy PC, so I am willing to bet thats WHY they are STILL playing CS all these years later.... There are alot better games in terms of gameplay and graphics that are out today.

of course this is all IMO :P

Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts

CS is garbage. the only reason it was anything. it was the first of its kind with graphics. this game does'nt even have look down sights. it has cross hairs that light up red. its junk. game over. nothing more then the first born. period. its kinda like the first apple computer. its only a matter of time before something else is better. F1sTDaCuffS

Disagree. It is a very balanced game. WHo cares what crosshairs it has; at least there isnt a scope on a sniper like in H2 even when not zoomed in so you can run around the map point and click. But BTW...i think we played quite a bit of FNR3 a few times. Were you pretty good at that game? I played quite a bit on C diesel.

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

who made it the king of competitve FPS? lol

the only thing i like about CSS are the weapon models, no game yet has came close to weapon detail and sound like CSS.

other than that, CSS sux, ill take BF2 over it anytime

l1mIt
josh123456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 josh123456789
Member since 2003 • 578 Posts

[QUOTE="lespaul1919"]www.mlgpro.comEndfinal

Wow you really don't know anything do you? MLG has grown very fast very quickly. As of now it is the biggest company for competive gaming. So this thread is also useless because CS might be a better game but looking at it from a competive nature halo is much more popular.

Last season was broadcast on nation television , They signed there no.1, and no.2 team to a one million dollar contract.

None of those other companys has done that

Killfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Killfox
Member since 2004 • 6666 Posts

Counter Stikre 5 seconds of Skill for every 10 minutes of spraying and praying.htekemerald

You must suck really bad with that strategy.

i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts
It's hard to imagine it happening, but eventually, all things must come to an end. I don't think it will happen this generation, but I don't think that CS will reign past 2012. I don't think it'll be Halo that is going to take the lead, either.
F1sTDaCuffS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75 F1sTDaCuffS
Member since 2005 • 2570 Posts

[QUOTE="F1sTDaCuffS"]CS is garbage. the only reason it was anything. it was the first of its kind with graphics. this game does'nt even have look down sights. it has cross hairs that light up red. its junk. game over. nothing more then the first born. period. its kinda like the first apple computer. its only a matter of time before something else is better. Dave_NBF

Disagree. It is a very balanced game. WHo cares what crosshairs it has; at least there isnt a scope on a sniper like in H2 even when not zoomed in so you can run around the map point and click. But BTW...i think we played quite a bit of FNR3 a few times. Were you pretty good at that game? I played quite a bit on C diesel.

whats fnr3? but, yeah, i just saying its not the best of all time, its was just the first of its kind. i think where gonna see some games here in a little bit, that will make this game look like the first doom. or wolfiensitien.

Endfinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Endfinal
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts
[QUOTE="Endfinal"]

[QUOTE="lespaul1919"]www.mlgpro.comjosh123456789

Wow you really don't know anything do you? MLG has grown very fast very quickly. As of now it is the biggest company for competive gaming. So this thread is also useless because CS might be a better game but looking at it from a competive nature halo is much more popular.

Last season was broadcast on nation television , They signed there no.1, and no.2 team to a one million dollar contract.

Sorry, CGS is going to be bigger than MLG, and no, Halo is no where near as popular as CS worldwide.

Avatar image for TheTerribleFish
TheTerribleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 TheTerribleFish
Member since 2005 • 1793 Posts
CS is the largest competitive FPS when you look at amount of people playing and tourneys around cs. BF2 is to unbalanced to be king, though it's mighty fun. Halo does not come close to popularity, atleast not in europe. Unreal Tournament is a good contestant, but somehow people don't play it to much. CS is probably most played, since you don't need a good computer to run it, pluss it's cheap and easy to get.
Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts

after i got good at getting HEad Shots (which is recently), im LUVIN CS:S.

No competition.

NoNam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 NoNam3r
[QUOTE="NoNam3r"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

[QUOTE="XxR0gu3Go0sexX"]Sorry... Thats a Nice Wall, but HaloReally did Bring Competative Gameing into the Light... Counter-Strike may take more skill and be funner, But as far as the masses are consored its all about Halo...Meu2k7

I dont give a rats ass about a company that was so cheesey to steal a real sporting games logo and make out its the real deal, much less that they dont use a good portion of the game in thier competitions :lol:.

Want to be nit-picky? ass doesnt have a dollar sign in it. :roll:

haha so you hate MLB too? the NBA and MLB logos aren't that different and I dont see you hatin on that league. please do a little research and learn how to spell "viechle" before you post so you don't lower these forum's IQ even more.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#80 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts

So this thread is also useless because CS might be a better game but looking at it from a competive nature halo is much more popular.josh123456789

No... Just no...

Have you seen today's server list for CS?

Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts
[QUOTE="Endfinal"]

[QUOTE="lespaul1919"]www.mlgpro.comjosh123456789

MLG is growing very fast but that is the only point I can give you. The reality is that casual fans would probably rather watch halo than cs because console fans like halo and console gaming is very mainstream. Unfortunately competitive gaming is NOT mainstream and it is really challenging to get people to watch gaming events. TheCPL and MANY other organizations put up much more prize money and have many more tourney's than MLG. Compare MLG messaging and information to a site like gotfrag.com and realize how deep people are into competitive gaming. It is much more viable to get into competitive gaming on an amature level on the PC as well with CAL-O amongst others.

The fact that you think halo is more popular completely disregards anything you have to say on the matter as there are 6 billion minutes a month playing CS which is far greater than any h2 playing on xbl

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts
[QUOTE="josh123456789"][QUOTE="Endfinal"]

[QUOTE="lespaul1919"]www.mlgpro.comDave_NBF

MLG is growing very fast but that is the only point I can give you. The reality is that casual fans would probably rather watch halo than cs because console fans like halo and console gaming is very mainstream. Unfortunately competitive gaming is NOT mainstream and it is really challenging to get people to watch gaming events. TheCPL and MANY other organizations put up much more prize money and have many more tourney's than MLG. Compare MLG messaging and information to a site like gotfrag.com and realize how deep people are into competitive gaming. It is much more viable to get into competitive gaming on an amature level on the PC as well with CAL-O amongst others.

The fact that you think halo is more popular completely disregards anything you have to say on the matter as there are 6 billion minutes a month playing CS which is far greater than any h2 playing on xbl

Console games will never be taken serously on the gaming scene, all pleople know this apart from the console kids.