WiiU is one gen behind PS4 and One and 2 Behind PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Is this correct ? WiiU is one Gen behind the PS4 and Juan while PC is one generation ahead of PS4 and Juan which equates to being 2 Gens ahead of the WiiU.

Am i correct?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

seems like a logical assessment to me.

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

Pretty much yeah.

PC domination continuation.

It just isn't the same thing without the sunglasses emoticon...

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

1. The Wii U is Nintendo's answer to next gen. Is it relatively weak? Yeah sure, but it is still their system for the generation.

2. The PC does not have generations.

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lumpy311
@-RPGamer- said:

1. The Wii U is Nintendo's answer to next gen. Is it relatively weak? Yeah sure, but it is still their system for the generation.

But the PC has to go by Console gens because this is System Wars.

Unless you just want us to use every single game ever made for the PC as SW ammo.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

No.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -RPGamer-

@Lumpy311 said:
@-RPGamer- said:

Unless you just want us to use every single game ever made for the PC as SW ammo.

That already happens >_>

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
@Lumpy311 said:
@-RPGamer- said:

He didn't mean it like that, but then again what would that change? PC has more highly rated exclusives every gen anyway.

Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Dog
Member since 2013 • 37 Posts

Pretty much.

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lumpy311

@SaltyMeatballs said:
@Lumpy311 said:
@-RPGamer- said:

He didn't mean it like that, but then again what would that change? PC has more highly rated exclusives every gen anyway.

The peasant domination would be at levels never before seen.

It would be great.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

The Wii Ewww is one gen ahead of the ps2

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NFJSupreme

@-RPGamer- said:

the wii u is in the exact same position as the wii but without the novelty of being something new and exciting. Just like wii it is stronger than the previous generations consoles but still no match for the new generations consoles. It's a niche console that operates outside of the traditional "console generation" format. MS and Sony are still waging that traditional war while Nintendo has bowed out for now. Hopefully in the future they get back in the game because I want to give them my money I just don't have a reason to right now because I have no interest in the wii or wii u. I want a proper competitive console from nintendo that blows me away the same way I got blown away when I saw Mario 64 for the first time and said to myself "Is this real life?"

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By -RPGamer-

@NFJSupreme said:

@-RPGamer- said:

the wii u is in the exact same position as the wii but without the novelty of being something new and exciting. Just like wii it is stronger than the previous generations consoles but still no match for the new generations consoles. It's a niche console that operates outside of the traditional "console generation" format. MS and Sony are still waging that traditional war while Nintendo has bowed out for now. Hopefully in the future they get back in the game because I want to give them my money I just don't have a reason to right now because I have no interest in the wii or wii u. I want a proper competitive console from nintendo that blows me away the same way I got blown away when I saw Mario 64 for the first time and said to myself "Is this real life?"

I want the same thing, but its still Nintendo's entry. What we want and what we get aren't always the same.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Wii u uses a completely different architecture. The power disparity is more akin to that of ps2 to Xbox.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NFJSupreme

@-RPGamer- said:

@NFJSupreme said:

@-RPGamer- said:

I want the same thing, but its still Nintendo's entry. What we want and what we get aren't always the same.

Fair enough but this is why I have a gaming rig. What I want is exactly what I get on PC. I am in control of the device I game on with PC not some suit in a board meeting a hundred miles away who only looks at my purchase as statistics in a pie chart. Hopefully nintendo realizes if you build it they will come. They are a lot of gamers that want to support nintendo again but just aren't satisfied with their offerings as of late.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@dobzilian said:

Is this correct ? WiiU is one Gen behind the PS4 and Juan while PC is one generation ahead of PS4 and Juan which equates to being 2 Gens ahead of the WiiU.

Am i correct?

Wii U uses VLIW5 type Radeon HD which is older than VLIW4/"Cayman" based Radeon HD..

Both PS4 and current gaming PC runs GCN with PS4's GPU is lesser than R9-280X and R9-290X.

References

VLIW = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_long_instruction_word

Radeon HD's VLIW5 has 4 simple + 1 very complex instruction bundle

Radeon HD's VLIW4 has 4 medium complex instruction bundle.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ronvalencia

@-RPGamer- said:

For PC GPU vendor specific, PC has generations e.g. AMD's non-GCN GPUs doesn't run AMD Mantle/DX11.1 Level 11.1/DX11.2 Tier 2.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@hiphops_savior:

Naaah, even though Wii U is a beast for 720p games and can easily run games at 1080p60fps as well, Ps4 is still more than 4x as powerful.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -RPGamer-

@ronvalencia said:

@-RPGamer- said:

For PC GPU vendor specific, PC has generations e.g. AMD's non-GCN GPUs doesn't run AMD Mantle/DX11.1 Level 11.1/DX11.2 Tier 2.

It does not have the same generations, it's not even close to the same concept. We all know this.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ronvalencia

@-RPGamer- said:

@ronvalencia said:

@-RPGamer- said:

It does not have the same generations, it's not even close to the same concept. We all know this.

PC has generations that cuts certain hardware designs from being able to run the software e.g.

1. Radeon HD 2xx0 to 4890 wouldn't be able to run DX11.0 titles.

2. Radeon HD 5xx0 to 6990 wouldn't able to run DX11.1 Level 11.1 and AMD Mantle.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ronvalencia

@hiphops_savior said:

Wii u uses a completely different architecture. The power disparity is more akin to that of ps2 to Xbox.

Wii U is the only game console that has selected VLIW5 based Radeon HD. Unlike AMD Mantle, it's too bad AMD haven't ported it's low level APIs to the PCs (for VLIW5 based Radeon HDs).

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

and yet has the most fun games for rest of 2013 and most of 2014.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ronvalencia

@anab0lic said:

and yet has the most fun games for rest of 2013 and most of 2014.

That's subjective.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@ronvalencia: And power is relative. Supercomputers exist. Maybe PS4 and One are many generations behind. Maybe it depends on what's affordable to the consumer? That's relative too. So what is the line for a "current" gen system? Just because two publishers release similarly powered consoles? That seems a little arbitrary.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@trugs26: It's not arbitrary at all. They are likely to be the most prominent consoles and if one is out on its own as being behind, it's not going to define the generation.

We don't include PC because there are vast differences in the tech and quite frankly whilst you can get one which outpowers anything you have to spend a lot to do it or have a lot of expertise. In terms of consoles, there is a big three, and when one of them doesn't further the tech from the previous generation, it cannot define the next can it?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By trugs26

@DocSanchez: What do you mean by "prominent"? Popular? Known about? Sales? Because if you answer one way or another, the Wii U will either be defined as current gen this time, or the Wii will be defined as current gen last time. Or both will be counted. - which is counter to what you you guys are trying to claim.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@trugs26: Both PS3 and Xbox were at the forefront of the consoles technology for that gen.

PC doesn't HAVE a gen. It is one constant stream of evolution, so it doesn't get included. The consoles do. And the technology defines the gen. So Nintendo has been one gen behind for two consoles now.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Assassin's Creed III dev tells me Wii U "stronger in some areas" than 360, PS3...

Credit Patrick Klepek
"It's hard to position it. I would tend to say it's maybe a bit closer to current gen than next gen for certain things...Credit Ubisoft creative director Jonathan Morin on Watch Dogs

Sounds like tweener to me, but closer to ps3/360 performance than next gen performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

@-RPGamer- said:

@ronvalencia said:

@-RPGamer- said:

PC has generations that cuts certain hardware designs from being able to run the software e.g.

1. Radeon HD 2xx0 to 4890 wouldn't be able to run DX11.0 titles.

2. Radeon HD 5xx0 to 6990 wouldn't able to run DX11.1 Level 11.1 and AMD Mantle.

yep

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Reality says no... It's up to you whether or not you want to accept this.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By trugs26

@DocSanchez: So it's simply a democratic vote by the big publishers? This still seems arbitrary because anyone with money can throw out whatever powered console they wanted. I could make a console that will be incredibly expensive by being extremely powerful, and if I got two other publishers to do so, then since it's a democratic vote, the PS4 and One are previous gen. I could come up with all sorts of scenarios that would deem the democratic vote argument very odd.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ronvalencia

@DocSanchez said:

@trugs26: Both PS3 and Xbox were at the forefront of the consoles technology for that gen.

PC doesn't HAVE a gen. It is one constant stream of evolution, so it doesn't get included. The consoles do. And the technology defines the gen. So Nintendo has been one gen behind for two consoles now.

PC HAS generations that cuts certain hardware designs from being able to run the software e.g.

1. Radeon HD 2xx0 to 4890 wouldn't be able to run DX11.0 titles. Removing the "marketing" models, Radeon HD 2xx0 to 4890 uses DX10.x class VLIW5 stream processors.

2. Radeon HD 5xx0 to 6990 wouldn't be able to run DX11.1 Hardware Level 11.1 and AMD Mantle.