Wii U has to be one of the worst consoles of all time.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

The console since it released literally had about 1-3 games a year worth buying.

I picked up the Wind Waker Edition U with great expectations, never though this would be the end result.

Imagine being a Wii U only owner.

8GB internal Hard Drive in 2012 (the original Xbox in 2001 had the same amount of internal storage, put that into perspective).

Zero multiplats.

No mandatory online games for multiplayer, so many games on it still don't have online.

No group chat, no voice chat, no join friends in progress, this online is worse than Xbox Live was in 2002 and were in 2016 now, holy chit.

Most exclusives were safe sequels outside of maybe Xenoblade X.

No exclusive Zelda, No Metroid, No hub world 3D Mario game similar to Galaxy, Sunshine or 64, No Fire Emblem, No F-Zero, No Animal Crossing, pretty much no everything.

This has got to be in the running for one of the worst consoles of all time outside of maybe...the original Wii, what do you think?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@brah4ever said:

Most exclusives

Never thought that would be used as a negative in System Wars

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Brah4ever

@R3FURBISHED said:
@brah4ever said:

Most exclusives

Never thought that would be used as a negative in System Wars

It's all the console had, now if there were multiplats sprinkled in and Nintendo took more risks in the games they gave us it would be a different story.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It is one of Nintendo´s worst yeah. Sega Saturn, Amiga CD32, Jaugar is all much worse than WiiU

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23725 Posts

Well, you're only further cementing the fact that you haven't been gaming too long. The WiiU sucks, but it's so very far from being the worst console of all time. It's not even close.

@brah4ever said:

No hub world 3D Mario game

Oddly specific and I really don't see how that's supposed to be a negative. How is lack of a hub world a drawback in this instance.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:

Well, you're only further cementing the fact that you haven't been gaming too long. The WiiU sucks, but it's so very far from being the worst console of all time. It's not even close.

@brah4ever said:

No hub world 3D Mario game

Oddly specific and I really don't see how that's supposed to be a negative. How is lack of a hub world a drawback in this instance.

I've been gaming likely before you even born, the Wii U is the worst console in the modern era. Maybe the original Wii is worst.

It's a drawback in that every Nintendo console release has gotten its own unique Mario game.

N64 = Super Mario 64, Gamecube = Mario Sunshine, Wii = Mario Galaxy, Wii U= Mario 3D World, pretty much a 3DS port that's extremely linear compared to the games listed.

Nu-flaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nu-flaver
Member since 2016 • 28 Posts

bu....but Nintendo has the best exclusives evaarrrrrr, that's why all system warriors have a Wii U

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brah4ever

@nu-flaver said:

bu....but Nintendo has the best exclusives evaarrrrrr, that's why all system warriors have a Wii U

A lot of them speak like they care about Nintendo consoles yet none of them actually go out and buy one.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
@brah4ever said:

This has got to be in the running for one of the worst consoles of all time outside of maybe...the original Wii, what do you think?

wait, what?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18816 Posts

Personally the Wii gets my vote.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@brah4ever said:

I've been gaming likely before you even born.

Nah, you told us this just yesterday:

"I was born a few years before the SNES came out"

I'll be coming up on 34 soon. Math/10

the Wii U is the worst console in the modern era.

Sure, it's arguable, they all kinda suck. Anyways, that's moving goal post #1, I'm sure we'll see plenty more in this thread.

It's a drawback in that every Nintendo console release has gotten its own unique Mario game.

And Mario 3D World is a unique Mario game. You still didn't answer the question about the hub world?

Wii U= Mario 3D World, pretty much a 3DS port that's extremely linear compared to the games listed.

... I should just say you're a dumb ass and call it a day, but here goes.

1. If you think it's a 3DS port then you've played neither game.

2. Linear is not a derogatory term when it comes to games, most of the best games of all time are linear. Most games in general are linear. The Galaxy games are incredibly linear. What is your point here?

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Lol isn't the whole point of SW to show off the exclusives which the Wii U has the most highly scored ones at that and yet you marked it as a negative.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brah4ever

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Lol isn't the whole point of SW to show off the exclusives which the Wii U has the most highly scored ones at that and yet you marked it as a negative.

I marked it as a negative it's the only thing the console has going for it.

Safe ones at that.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@brah4ever said:

I've been gaming likely before you even born.

Nah, you told us this just yesterday:

"I was born a few years before the SNES came out"

I'll be coming up on 34 soon. Math/10

the Wii U is the worst console in the modern era.

Sure, it's arguable, they all kinda suck. Anyways, that's moving goal post #1, I'm sure we'll see plenty more in this thread.

And Mario 3D World is a unique Mario game. You still didn't answer the question about the hub world?

Wii U= Mario 3D World, pretty much a 3DS port that's extremely linear compared to the games listed.

... I should just say you're a dumb ass and call it a day, but here goes.

1. If you think it's a 3DS port then you've played neither game.

2. Linear is not a derogatory term when it comes to games, most of the best games of all time are linear. Most games in general are linear. The Galaxy games are incredibly linear. What is your point here?

Lack of a hubworld is a negative because with the technology that's at the devs disposal a vast seamless REAL Mario World should be possible. Not levels disjointed by portals, the 3D World overworld map used to select the levels is a joke compared to what they could have done.

Have you played Mario 3D Land? 3D World is a like an exact copy.

#Playmoregames

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The Wii U definitely has some faults, but it has provided me with a lot of fun that I wouldn't be able to get anywhere else, so I have a lot of love for the Wii U.

I think I would list it as one of my top 5 favorite consoles of all time (and I've owned almost every major console since the NES) and it is by far my favorite console of the current generation. It does lack diversity so I wouldn't want it as my only console, but for anyone who is a big fan of platformers and local multiplayer games like I am, the Wii U is excellent! It's probably the best party console to play with a group of buddies since the N64 and the best console for platformers since the SNES, which is why I love it.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kruiz_Bathory

@brah4ever: I don't think Bayonetta nor Xenoblade are "safe" all. Nor is Splatoon.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

It is one of Nintendo´s worst yeah. Sega Saturn, Amiga CD32, Jaugar is all much worse than WiiU

Woah, now don't get ahead of yourself buddy. Sega Saturn actually had a pretty nice library of games, especially if you count Japanese exclusives. It sold like garbage, but it was still a pretty solid console.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Not in my humble opinion. I have like 20 games for it that I really like, plus a bunch of eshop titles that work great with the tablet controller, plus full bc for my many Wii titles.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Safe ones at that.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brah4ever

@xdude85 said:
@brah4ever said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Safe ones at that.

You don't even have a Wii U.

1-3 games a year and zero multiplats is pretty pathetic.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Kruiz_Bathory said:

But when your console only has exclusives and a small amount at that it becomes a problem. How many of those exclusives were actually worth picking up, like 8? PS4 might have less exclusives, but it has a crap ton more games worth picking up than the Wii U, because unlike the Wii U it actually has third party support.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Brah4ever

@emgesp said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

But when your console only has exclusives and a small amount at that it becomes a problem. How many of those exclusives were actually worth picking up, like 8? PS4 might have less exclusives, but it has a crap ton more games worth picking up than the Wii U, because unlike the Wii U it actually has third party support.

This, exactly.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kruiz_Bathory

@emgesp: I can see that as a valid point. I usually buy multiplats for PC so I don't care about them on consoles.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory

@brah4ever: so you waited for someone else to explain better what you started? Brilliant.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
@brah4ever said:
@xdude85 said:
@brah4ever said:
@Kruiz_Bathory said:

Safe ones at that.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner
@brah4ever said:

Lack of a hubworld is a negative because with the technology that's at the devs disposal a vast seamless REAL Mario World should be possible. Not levels disjointed by portals, the 3D World overworld map used to select the levels is a joke compared to what they could have done.

So your argument was that 3D World needs a hub world and because it lacks one, it's a negative for the WiiU in the OP. At the same time, you cite games like SM64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy titles as better being better because they have hub worlds.

Now you've flipped the script and it's all about having a "vast seamless REAL Mario World", though none of those games do that at all. All of those games have "levels disjointed by portals". The only hub world that was ever worth a damn in those games is the castle in SM64, and even then it's not a seamless world lol.

Do you even know what you're arguing about at this point? Can you not maintain a consistent thought?

-

Beyond your inconsistencies, what's the point? We're talking about platformers here man. The levels are obstacle courses, they benefit from diversity, they benefit from being compact. I'm not saying that a seamless open world platformer can't be done well, but you're acting like the lack of a wide open game is a detriment.

@brah4ever said:

Don't get me wrong, I like that you're discrediting your own arguments here, but come on man. Why even waste the time?

@brah4ever said:

#Playmoregames

#Readabook

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

So i take it this is going to end up the same as the SNES is overrated thread?

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Lol. Trying to argue with Conan.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ConanTheStoner

@lostrib said:

So i take it this is going to end up the same as the SNES is overrated thread?

It's already there.

Moving goal posts right from the jump, zero consistency, non-arguments, etc..

inb4lock

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@brah4ever said:

So your argument was that 3D World needs a hub world and because it lacks one, it's a negative for the WiiU in the OP. At the same time, you cite games like SM64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy titles as better being better because they have hub worlds.

Now you've flipped the script and it's all about having a "vast seamless REAL Mario World", though none of those games do that at all. All of those games have "levels disjointed by portals". The only hub world that was ever worth a damn in those games is the castle in SM64, and even then it's not a seamless world lol.

Do you even know what you're arguing about at this point? Can you not maintain a consistent thought?

-

Beyond your inconsistencies, what's the point? We're talking about platformers here man. The levels are obstacle courses, they benefit from diversity, they benefit from being compact. I'm not saying that a seamless open world platformer can't be done well, but you're acting like the lack of a wide open game is a detriment.

@brah4ever said:

Don't get me wrong, I like that you're discrediting your own arguments here, but come on man. Why even waste the time?

@brah4ever said:

#Playmoregames

#Readabook

It's a negative because unlike you, some people have high expectations.

For the first Nintendo console in HD we expected something ground breaking, not 3D Land I mean 3D World.

#startplayinggames

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Brah4ever

@xdude85 said:
@brah4ever said:
@xdude85 said:
@brah4ever said:

Safe ones at that.

Dude doesn't even have a Wii U yet speaks as of he knows a thing about Nintendo.

Go back to your CoD match, your team is calling

Xdude is the kid on the right
Xdude is the kid on the right

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Pfft, i think you are just hating on Nintendo.

Seriously, since the PS2/Xbox/GC there is no bad console.

All the bad ones died /Atari/SEGA/

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Brah4ever

@Ant_17 said:

Pfft, i think you are just hating on Nintendo.

Seriously, since the PS2/Xbox/GC there is no bad console.

All the bad ones died /Atari/SEGA/

What were the bad Sega consoles?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner
@brah4ever said:

My high expectations revolve around design, not bullet points and trends.

I like well designed games and yes, 3D World was a disappointment in that while it is a solid platformer, it was a major step back from SMG2.

Wanting a seamless open world Mario game doesn't mean having high standards or expectations. It means you're asking for a potentially bloated shit fest that runs contrary to what makes the genre tick. A lot of people have realized how detrimental open world for the sake of open world has been in recent years. Trying to shoe horn it into every genre really isn't necessary.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@brah4ever said:

My high expectations revolve around design, not bullet points and trends.

I like well designed games and yes, 3D World was a disappointment in that while it is a solid platformer, it was a major step back from SMG2.

Wanting a seamless open world Mario game doesn't mean having high standards or expectations. It means you're asking for a potentially bloated shit fest that runs contrary to what makes the genre tick. A lot of people have realized how detrimental open world for the sake of open world has been in recent years. Trying to shoe horn it into every genre really isn't necessary.

Doing you do best I see, putting words in peoples mouth.

I never asked for an open world Mario game with side quest and all that other stuff.

I'm talking more along the lines of a Mario game you venture out and begin your open yet somewhat linear world.Think of something along the lines of a Twilight Princess. Open world does not mean Witcher or GTA level of openness.

Is that you on the left? Never knew Xdude and you took a snapshot together because you are sounding like you just starting gaming.

PM if you want to learn a bit more on game design and concepts, thanks.

Dat you on the left?
Dat you on the left?

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#36  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Coming from the same person that thought the SNES was overhyped.

If there was only 1-3 games a year as you say, where did these 36 retail games I have come from then?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@brah4ever:The Dreamcast.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner
@brah4ever said:

I never asked for an open world Mario game with side quest and all that other stuff.

I'm talking more along the lines of a Mario game you venture out and begin your open yet somewhat linear world. Open world does not mean Witcher or GTA level of openness.

You say I'm putting words in your mouth. Then you proceed to do exactly that. Brilliant!

Anyways, so you want a seamless open linear world... cool, that would instantly make Mario so much better, right?

@brah4ever said:

I'm one of the only peeps on this board who actually works on games lol. Trying to wrap up a seemingly never ending contract with EA at the moment.

I'm even a big enough sucker to have a degree in game design. No, that's not a good thing I'll admit it, but luckily it's just a 2nd degree I got for fun.

Not saying that makes my opinions any more valid than others when it comes to games. But it is a license for you to stfu with that trash trolling.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

It's the worst Nintendo console, that much shouldn't even be up for debate.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Brah4ever

@Ant_17 said:

@brah4ever:The Dreamcast.

Woah

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21705 Posts

It's definitely the worst console that I've ever owned.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Brah4ever

@svaubel said:

Coming from the same person that thought the SNES was overhyped.

If there was only 1-3 games a year as you say, where did these 36 retail games I have come from then?

I would love to see what these 36 games are, list them.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

Not saying that makes my opinions any more valid than others when it comes to games.

On this forum? Definitely more valid. This forum is too stupid to be worthy of an opinion.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Brah4ever

@ConanTheStoner said:
@brah4ever said:

I'm talking more along the lines of a Mario game you venture out and begin your open yet somewhat linear world. Open world does not mean Witcher or GTA level of openness.

You say I'm putting words in your mouth. Then you proceed to do exactly that. Brilliant!

Anyways, so you want a seamless open linear world... cool, that would instantly make Mario so much better, right?

@brah4ever said:

I'm one of the only peeps on this board who actually works on games lol. Trying to wrap up a seemingly never ending contract with EA at the moment.

I'm even a big enough sucker to have a degree in game design. No, that's not a good thing I'll admit it, but luckily it's just a 2nd degree I got for fun.

Not saying that makes my opinions any more valid than others when it comes to games. But it is a license for you to stfu with that trash trolling.

Can you back this up?

If this is true, and game design is your second degree, what is your main one?

No game designer could be this dumb than to see potential in a slightly more open Mario game especially using current hardware.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#45 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

They've got one thing going for it, a Sonic 06 10th anniversary release?

YO I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT SINCE 2006.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

I personally don't think the Wii U is a bad console... I just think Nintendo really stuffed up the messaging of it from the beginning and it quickly became irrelevant.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I personally don't think the Wii U is a bad console... I just think Nintendo really stuffed up the messaging of it from the beginning and it quickly became irrelevant.

This...i also feel the tech wasn't right there with what they were trying to do...

Anyway TC, you are either too much of a fanboy or really young (maybe both) if you think WII U is one of the worst consoles of all time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lostrib

Oh Lord, trying to talk down to Conan... That's a bad idea.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ConanTheStoner
@brah4ever said:

Can you back this up?

If this is true, and game design is your second degree, what is your main one?

I don't even get that personal with my friends on this board, so no I won't be sharing anything to back it up. And even if I did, you would find a way to wiggle around it.

My main degree is a BFA. Wanted to go for a masters (still do), but the industry scooped me up quickly and I've been gainfully self employed as a lead artist / VFX sup ever since. A masters at this point would be for my own personal enjoyment, but would do little for my pay grade.

@brah4ever said:

No game designer could be this dumb than to see potential in a slightly more open Mario game especially using current hardware.

Couple of things.

1. I'm not a game designer. Am I well versed in the subject? Sure. Have I had to design a small game before? Yep. But my role is on the visual side of things. Most people who work on games aren't actually game designers.

2. I love platformers. I was very pleased when Nintendo decided to go less open with the Galaxy games as opposed to the more open SM64 and Sunshine. I like tight compact level design and variation in a pure platformer, stuff that bleeds over into the adventuring side with a larger scope often feels like a waste of time. And if you look at the best platformers of all time, you'll often see that common thread between them. They're tight and to the point. They don't waste the players time.

Anyways, I guess all game designers are dumb then. Platformers started heading in the direction you're describing for a time, but then they scaled back to what made them great to begin with. I suppose you're just smarter than all the best platformer designers out there, please show us the way and develop your own game.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#50 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

If you had made this topic before the whole NX and Zelda announcement I would've argued no.