Wii ports are becoming a running joke.

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 pimperjones
Member since 2006 • 3116 Posts

After seeing the rediculous picture of 007 with the blue rug water, I started to check up on the state of some of other multiplat games that have shown up on the Wii.

For the lack of a better word they all look like trash. Alone in the Dark looks worse than Syphon Filter on PS1. What on Earth is going on? It looks like they are hiring students and monkeys to do Wii ports.

I'd like to hear how Wii owners feel about this. Cause they're the ones that have to put up with it. I know the Wii has horrible graphics but I've played Mario Galaxy and I know they can do better than PS1 graphics.

It feels game execs are just posting up ads in game design classes for free programmers who are willing to work for food and credit.

EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts

After seeing the rediculous picture of 007 with the blue rug water, I started to check up on the state of some of other multiplat games that have shown up on the Wii.

For the lack of a better word they all look like trash. Alone in the Dark looks worse than Syphon Filter on PS1. What on Earth is going on? It looks like they are hiring students and monkeys to do Wii ports.

I'd like to hear how Wii owners feel about this. Cause they're the ones that have to put up with it. I know the Wii has horrible graphics but I've played Mario Galaxy and I know they can do better than PS1 graphics.

It feels game execs are just posting up ads in game design classes for free programmers who are willing to work for food and credit.

pimperjones
there;s already a thread.
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pimperjones
[QUOTE="pimperjones"]

EuroMafia
there;s already a thread.

I'm not just talking about 007, I talking all Wii ports. The other seems to focus too much on just one game. I've noticed the trash is across the board.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
I'm not just talking about 007, I talking all Wii ports. The other seems to focus too much on just one game. I've noticed the trash is across the board. pimperjones
What Wii ports are you talking talking about exactly?
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
I usually just tend to avoid multiplats altogether.
pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pimperjones

[QUOTE="pimperjones"]I'm not just talking about 007, I talking all Wii ports. The other seems to focus too much on just one game. I've noticed the trash is across the board. forgot_it

Alone in the Dark, Spiderman Web of Shadows, Brothers in Arms, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and etc etc.

It seems that all multiplat ports to Wii look crud and plays like crud.

elektrixxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 elektrixxx
Member since 2004 • 11804 Posts

It's not hilarious, it's unfortunate.

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pimperjones
I usually just tend to avoid multiplats altogether.metroidfood
Some of them are very good. Spiderman Web of Shadows and Forced Unleashed were both good games, exept on the Wii,.
redmetal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 redmetal86
Member since 2006 • 1123 Posts

two ports stand out in my mind. rock band and dead rising (although capcom swears up and down that its not a port since its built on the re4 engine). rock band for the wii was a direct port of the ps2 version. it had no online, no dlc, no character customization, and no world tour mode, all of which is now in rock band 2 for the wii. that really showed how much effort harmonix/pi studios put into the wii version of rock band. diddly squat.

and now we have dead rising: chop till you drop. although its not done, the game looks like crap. very few zombies on screen, which have terrible a.i., graphics that look worse than resident evil 4, frame rate dips when using weapons, added bat waggle, and the ever important "accessibility". are you serious capcom?

pimperjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pimperjones
The question is why? I kinda feel bad for Wii owners even though I laughed at 007's blue rug water. It's like Wii ports have become the equivalent of a straight to video movie starring Steven Seagal in his fatter stage.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

[QUOTE="forgot_it"][QUOTE="pimperjones"]I'm not just talking about 007, I talking all Wii ports. The other seems to focus too much on just one game. I've noticed the trash is across the board. pimperjones

Alone in the Dark, Spiderman Web of Shadows, Brothers in Arms, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and etc etc.

It seems that all multiplat ports to Wii look crud and plays like crud.

Star wars wii rated better at ign (or was it 1up, i cant remember), PES 2008 scored higher on Wii, plus GH:WT (but on a technicality)

so not ALL multiplats are like that...

you ask the same question for the lackluster multiplats the ps3 has compared to the 360

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Who the heck cares about ports? I buy good games that were made for Wii and good games that were made for 360.
xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
this is typical wii shovelware. you can blame the devs but they are banking off it. i blame ninty and the devs.
violent_spinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 violent_spinal
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts
They put Alone in the Dark on Wii? :|
I don't know how that game could get any worse.

The demo was awful.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Maybe you need to learn the difference between a port and a multiplat, TC.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Maybe you need to learn the difference between a port and a multiplat, TC.Zhengi

You know what he means, rather than argue vocabulary, look at the actual problem at hand. Willy105 was complaining about this in his blog the other day, and I agree with him. The Wii is capable of better graphics than it was given in Force Unleashed, Alone in the Dark, 007, et cetera.

What seems to be happening is that developers are making the PS2 version of the game, then adding Wii controls and putting it on the Wii. That's absolutely terrible, because it means the Wii is getting even worse graphics than the Gamecube (GCN is far more graphically powerful than the PS2)... which really again, is unfortunate for Wii owners.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
The multiplats were usually games not made with the wii in mind, so it doesn't really surprise me. Some of them do look hilarious. I don't mind those at all. But most of the time this is not the case. With the wii some developers show their true colours which can be quite painful. The developers that do create a multiplat for it usually do it with this attitude, like it's supposed to take less effort to make a wii version than other versions. Some are even acting cool like they didn't really want to do it but they just had to, so whatever, we'll just use it to fund a 'real game'. That's not really a good joke, that's just wrong.
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

I usually just tend to avoid multiplats altogether.metroidfood

This b/c most devs dont give a damn about the Wii.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zhengi

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]Maybe you need to learn the difference between a port and a multiplat, TC.subrosian

You know what he means, rather than argue vocabulary, look at the actual problem at hand. Willy105 was complaining about this in his blog the other day, and I agree with him. The Wii is capable of better graphics than it was given in Force Unleashed, Alone in the Dark, 007, et cetera.

What seems to be happening is that developers are making the PS2 version of the game, then adding Wii controls and putting it on the Wii. That's absolutely terrible, because it means the Wii is getting even worse graphics than the Gamecube (GCN is far more graphically powerful than the PS2)... which really again, is unfortunate for Wii owners.

And why should I care about this? It's not like I'm going to be getting these games.

edward2332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 edward2332
Member since 2005 • 988 Posts

It's time to stop blaming the devs. Maybe that was the argument in the beginning, but after a year, they'd have gotten it by now. The Wii isn't 2x as powerful as the GameCube, as we've been led to believe. If it is, it sure isn't showing. I think it's probably 1.1x faster and that .1 is used to handle the motion controls, which I assume require more CPU cycles to interpret than standard analog/digital controls.

I mean even 1st party titles like Metroid and SMG...while the artistic quality was top notch, weren't graphical powerhouses.

The Wii was maxed out a long time ago.

And those who say graphics aren't everything...when was the last time you played your SNES or PS1? Those had some great games, right? Maybe cuz the graphics suck in comparison to current gen titles? Exactly.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i find it funny. yes it is a joke to all.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
I would tend to agree with you there. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part multi-plats are horrible on the Wii.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's time to stop blaming the devs. Maybe that was the argument in the beginning, but after a year, they'd have gotten it by now. The Wii isn't 2x as powerful as the GameCube, as we've been led to believe. If it is, it sure isn't showing. I think it's probably 1.1x faster and that .1 is used to handle the motion controls, which I assume require more CPU cycles to interpret than standard analog/digital controls.

I mean even 1st party titles like Metroid and SMG...while the artistic quality was top notch, weren't graphical powerhouses.

The Wii was maxed out a long time ago.

And those who say graphics aren't everything...when was the last time you played your SNES or PS1? Those had some great games, right? Maybe cuz the graphics suck in comparison to current gen titles? Exactly.

edward2332

Hmmmm. I think that's not the reason.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 subrosian

And why should I care about this? It's not like I'm going to be getting these games. Zhengi

You're planning to skip most of this generation's great games? Not just talking about games that received an inferior Wii port like Call of Duty, I also mean the games that won't be on the Wii.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zhengi

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]And why should I care about this? It's not like I'm going to be getting these games. subrosian

You're planning to skip most of this generation's great games? Not just talking about games that received an inferior Wii port like Call of Duty, I also mean the games that won't be on the Wii.

If you call owning a PC, PS3, 360, and Wii missing out on this generation's great games, then yes, I will be missing all those great games :roll:

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

The Wii as a whole is becoming a running joke.

Seriously, in my circles it inspires more lulz than anything else.

If I want my homeboys to have a good chuckle I just show them some Disaster: DoC vids, and the laughs just go on, and on, and on...

randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts
Unfortuantly this is true. All it took was for me to play SWtFU. But QoS looks way better now, that screen you all saw was in early development. Ports are for lazy developers that think the wii is a joke, sad really.
randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts

If I want my homeboys to have a good chuckle I just show them some Disaster: DoC vids, and the laughs just go on, and on, and on...

jethrovegas
Right:roll: I got a chuckle after reading that ridiculus post.
mdisen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 mdisen2
Member since 2005 • 1133 Posts
Wii owners don't really care. It's the non-Wii owners that make such a big deal out of shovelware.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jethrovegas
[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

randomguy15

Have you seen the bear video?

Also, calculus.

mdisen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 mdisen2
Member since 2005 • 1133 Posts

jethrovegas

That's the point of Disaster, so the jokes on you and your apparently really cool friends.

Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts
The wii is a joke...and Im not laughing
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jethrovegas
[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

mdisen2

That's the point of Disaster, so the jokes on you and your apparently really cool friends.

Really? Disaster is in it for the lulz? Are you sure? Linky?
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zhengi

Wii owners don't really care. It's the non-Wii owners that make such a big deal out of shovelware.mdisen2

Yup, this seems to be the case. It's not like Nintendo or devs are holding a gun to a person's head forcing them to buy these types of games.

Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts

[QUOTE="mdisen2"]Wii owners don't really care. It's the non-Wii owners that make such a big deal out of shovelware.Zhengi

Yup, this seems to be the case. It's not like Nintendo or devs are holding a gun to a person's head forcing them to buy these types of games.

I own a wii, and I don't buy shovelware, and I wish they would focus more on real games

Fawlcon_Pawnch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fawlcon_Pawnch
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts
[QUOTE="mdisen2"][QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

jethrovegas

Really? Disaster is in it for the lulz? Are you sure? Linky?

Dont need linky, need to use brainy more.

Disaster is a parody/homage to 80s/90s action B-movies, cheese included.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jethrovegas

Dont need linky, need to use brainy more.

Disaster is a parody/homage to 80s/90s action B-movies, cheese included.

Fawlcon_Pawnch

How convenient.

Incidentally, most of our lulz came from the apparently low quality of the actual design of the game itself, 'homages' aside.

I don't think that you can point at bad design, say "teh homage", and call it a day, honeychile.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 subrosian
[QUOTE="subrosian"]

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]And why should I care about this? It's not like I'm going to be getting these games. Zhengi

If you call owning a PC, PS3, 360, and Wii missing out on this generation's great games, then yes, I will be missing all those great games :roll:

Oh yeah really? Hey what's your gamertag and PSN ID man, you only list your Friends Code.

A lot of people don't have the luxury of owning them all like you apparently do, so if they only own a Wii, then it sucks that they're getting the short end of the stick.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="subrosian"]

[QUOTE="Zhengi"]And why should I care about this? It's not like I'm going to be getting these games. subrosian

Oh yeah really? Hey what's your gamertag and PSN ID man, you only list your Friends Code.

A lot of people don't have the luxury of owning them all like you apparently do, so if they only own a Wii, then it sucks that they're getting the short end of the stick.

Not this whole PSN and Gamertag thing. Look, I have them, and I don't care whether or not you believe me.

And I doubt people who only own Wiis really need your sympathy. If they like the Wii, then they are enjoying the games they like to play and not bad games like this. If they don't like the Wii, then they should sell it.

LittleHands134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LittleHands134
Member since 2008 • 1176 Posts
[QUOTE="randomguy15"][QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

jethrovegas

Have you seen the bear video?

Also, calculus.

I have to admit, I laughed at the video. Who knew bears could take 60+ bullets to the chest and are unable to notice people behind small rocks.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="subrosian"]

Not defending him. I have PSN and Steam ID, but I don't put it in my sig. Use to have a Wii code. Just because they don't have it doesn't mean they don't own the system.

Heck I even seen some fakeboys in here with GT that they made from someone they know who owns a 360.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zhengi

Not defending him. I have PSN and Steam ID, but I don't put it in my sig. Use to have a Wii code.istreakforfood

Well, in my defense, I'm just too darn lazy to change my sig nowadays :)

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 subrosian

Not this whole PSN and Gamertag thing. Look, I have them, and I don't care whether or not you believe me.

Zhengi

PM them to me if you have them if you don't want to post them here. Otherwise, no, to be honest I don't really believe you.

Mitazaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mitazaki
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts

jethrovegas

I have been playing Disaster: Day of Crisis and though its no AAA game its still a pretty decent game so far. Some areas the graphics dont look so good and in some they are decent. It is cheesey and the camera can get abit annoying but I would say its a decent game with some interesting ideas that if given more time to be poilshed up on it could be alot better.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
How am I suppose to take you seriously? When you believe Alone in the Dark Wii looks like a PS1 game.
yonnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 yonnex
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

I had a Wii got rid of it got sick of the shovel ware and GC ports

Nintendo made it to get out of the hole they where in with the GC plain and simple and it worked

the Wii = Shovelware

sad but true

Mitazaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mitazaki
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts

I had a Wii got rid of it got sick of the shovel ware and GC ports

Nintendo made it to get out of the hole they where in with the GC plain and simple and it worked

the Wii = Shovelware

sad but true

yonnex

what hole? Nintendo made a profit with the GC, sure it did'nt sell as much but a profit is still a success.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
yes its hilarious