Wii gets Tales of Symphonia Sequal (from IGN)

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts

The latest IGN Wii-k in Review just came out and it looks like they dropped a bomb. From the lips of Matt Casamassina, direct quote:

There is a Tales of Symphonia sequel coming to Wii.Matt Casamassina

So the Wii is getting a direct sequal to one of the best GCN RPG's. YAY!
However, it will apparently be using the same engine as the GCN game and it's not due until late 2008. Boo!

Source:GoNintendo
Hear it yourself:IGN Wii-k in Review. Check at 53:11.

Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Overthrow
Member since 2004 • 7025 Posts
Hmm... I can't see the Wiimote working too well in 2D fighting. MK Wii wasn't that great.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
Cool (if true), side note.... gotta love the glitches this place has :|
luigigreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 luigigreen
Member since 2005 • 4888 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's using the GCN engine. *explode* Holy crap. ToS sequel!
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I never got to play the one on Gamecube (again, thanks to my bovineism) but I hear it was spectacular. I guess this is amazing news.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
side note.... gotta love the glitches this place has :|-RPGamer-
It's not easy being an Opera user on here... :cry:
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Well, seeing as ToS was one of the reasons I bought a cube. I'll have to pick up a Wii on down the line for this and a few other games.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

Hmm... I can't see the Wiimote working too well in 2D fighting. MK Wii wasn't that great.Overthrow

was ToS a turn-based RPG or an action RPG?

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ibacai

[QUOTE="Overthrow"]Hmm... I can't see the Wiimote working too well in 2D fighting. MK Wii wasn't that great.lordlors

Action RPG.
Overthrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Overthrow
Member since 2004 • 7025 Posts

[QUOTE="Overthrow"]Hmm... I can't see the Wiimote working too well in 2D fighting. MK Wii wasn't that great.lordlors

Combat was real time side-scrolling.

DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaAznSaN
Member since 2003 • 5656 Posts
This news makes me cry tears of joy.
cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts
*yawn* I played and beat that snorfest of an JRPG becuase there was absoulutley no games out on the GC at the time worth getting. Took me 2 years and 52 hours but I beat it and wasnt impressed. IDK why people hail it as one of the best RPG's out there.
cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#13 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts
[QUOTE="lordlors"]

[QUOTE="Overthrow"]Hmm... I can't see the Wiimote working too well in 2D fighting. MK Wii wasn't that great.Ibacai

Action RPG.

More like Real-Time Battle sequences.

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts

I never got to play the one on Gamecube (again, thanks to my bovineism) but I hear it was spectacular. I guess this is amazing news.foxhound_fox

It was on the PS2 as well. Fantastic game with an excellent storyline. The acting sucked though, I did not like the lame voice overs and how they did not flow with the scenes.

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cobrax80

*yawn* I played and beat that snorfest of an JRPG becuase there was absoulutley no games out on the GC at the time worth getting. Took me 2 years and 52 hours but I beat it and wasnt impressed. IDK why people hail it as one of the best RPG's out there.cyprus646

you can't expect everybody in the world to like everything, all it means is that you are in the minority who didn't like it, everybody else considers it one of the greatest games of all time. Including me.

FireXero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireXero
Member since 2004 • 1062 Posts
ToS is so freaking overrated around here...
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ibacai
[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="lordlors"]

[QUOTE="Overthrow"]Hmm... I can't see the Wiimote working too well in 2D fighting. MK Wii wasn't that great.cobrax80

Action RPG.

Which would mean action. You even had combos depending on which way you pushed the control stick and attacked. It's an Action RPG.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="cyprus646"]*yawn* I played and beat that snorfest of an JRPG becuase there was absoulutley no games out on the GC at the time worth getting. Took me 2 years and 52 hours but I beat it and wasnt impressed. IDK why people hail it as one of the best RPG's out there.cobrax80

you can't expect everybody in the world to like everything, all it means is that you are in the minority who didn't like it, everybody else considers it one of the greatest games of all time. Including me.

Wait, actually any game is only actually liked by the minority of gamers. The remainder either don't know, don't care, or don't like it.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
First Ash DS and now this? Too much JRPGs in one day for me!
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -RPGamer-

First Ash DS and now this? Too much JRPGs in one day for me!Eponique

Archaic Sealed Heat has been known offor a long time :?

Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
I'm very happy to hear this. The Wii needs some RPG love and what better than a TOS sequel!
cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cobrax80
[QUOTE="cobrax80"][QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="lordlors"]

[QUOTE="Overthrow"]Hmm... I can't see the Wiimote working too well in 2D fighting. MK Wii wasn't that great.Ibacai

Action RPG.

Which would mean action. You even had combos depending on which way you pushed the control stick and attacked. It's an Action RPG.

The reason i said that was because there are action RPG's where there are no breaks into combat and those are action rpg's, that's why i called it more of a real-time battle sequnce game.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eponique

[QUOTE="Eponique"]First Ash DS and now this? Too much JRPGs in one day for me!-RPGamer-

Archaic Sealed Heat has been known offor a long time :?

I just found out today xD

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
My cousins were all crazy over it. I wasn't. I guess I'm just not a RPG fan.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eponique

I'm very happy to hear this. The Wii needs some RPG love and what better than a TOS sequel!Ollivander

Your sig is hillarious :lol:

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cobrax80
[QUOTE="cobrax80"]

[QUOTE="cyprus646"]*yawn* I played and beat that snorfest of an JRPG becuase there was absoulutley no games out on the GC at the time worth getting. Took me 2 years and 52 hours but I beat it and wasnt impressed. IDK why people hail it as one of the best RPG's out there.-RPGamer-

Wait, actually any game is only actually liked by the minority of gamers. The remainder either don't know, don't care, or don't like it.

no, it has to be the majority, otherwise franchises woud not sell or be established since less and less people would be buying them.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ibacai
The reason i said that was because there are action RPG's where there are no breaks into combat and those are action rpg's, that's why i called it more of a real-time battle sequnce game.cobrax80
Ahhh, you're talking about the special skills and canned reactions? I can understand where you're coming from but I don't see the need to split the genre over a hair. Star Ocean and Rogue Galaxy both have similar sequences and are still Action Rpg's.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Wii= must buy.
DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaAznSaN
Member since 2003 • 5656 Posts
What's the title of the game? Sword of Legendia? I haven't listened to the broadcast but Wikipedia has Swords of Legendia listed as a Wii title back in 06 (from IGN).
cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cobrax80

[QUOTE="cobrax80"]The reason i said that was because there are action RPG's where there are no breaks into combat and those are action rpg's, that's why i called it more of a real-time battle sequnce game.Ibacai
Ahhh, you're talking about the special skills and canned reactions? I can understand where you're coming from but I don't see the need to split the genre over a hair. Star Ocean and Rogue Galaxy both have similar sequences and are still Action Rpg's.

i guess so

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ibacai
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="cobrax80"]

[QUOTE="cyprus646"]*yawn* I played and beat that snorfest of an JRPG becuase there was absoulutley no games out on the GC at the time worth getting. Took me 2 years and 52 hours but I beat it and wasnt impressed. IDK why people hail it as one of the best RPG's out there.cobrax80

no, it has to be the majority, otherwise franchises woud not sell or be established since less and less people would be buying them.

How could that be true if it barely surpasses 1 million sold (If you trust Vgchartz for software sales)? There really is no game that is loved by a majority of gamers. But it doesn't take a majority of gamers to make a success. It actually takes less then 1% of the total gamers to make a successful game.
cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cobrax80
[QUOTE="cobrax80"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="cobrax80"]

[QUOTE="cyprus646"]*yawn* I played and beat that snorfest of an JRPG becuase there was absoulutley no games out on the GC at the time worth getting. Took me 2 years and 52 hours but I beat it and wasnt impressed. IDK why people hail it as one of the best RPG's out there.Ibacai

How could that be true if it barely surpasses 1 million sold (If you trust Vgchartz for software sales)? There really is no game that is loved by a majority of gamers. But it doesn't take a majority of gamers to make a success. It actually takes less then 1% of the total gamers to make a successful game.

What if the sequel sells more, than does that mean that people who bought theoriginal want to play another game off of the franchise?

7arek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 7arek
Member since 2007 • 725 Posts
I don't know what was so amazing about the first tales, but then again I'm not a huge RPG fan either. I mean I like Final Fantasy and all (good games) but I really did not enjoy the gameplay, battle system, etc. I did however like the graphics. Once the sequel is out for the Wii I'll probably rent it or something, but I'm not super-excited, personally.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="cobrax80"]

What? That doesn't make sense. :|

Look at the PS2 for instance, total sales being around 100 million hardware units. Was there any piece of software that even approached 50 million in sales? No. Do that with any piece of hardware (as long as the software isn't packaged) and you'll find the same results.

Being enjoyed by the minority can still be large.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ibacai
What if the sequel sells more, than does that mean that people who bought the prequel want to play another game off of the franchise?cobrax80
That has no bearing whatsoever on what we are talking about. We're talking about ToS fans being the minority in the gamer user base.
cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cobrax80
[QUOTE="cobrax80"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="cobrax80"]

[QUOTE="cyprus646"]*yawn* I played and beat that snorfest of an JRPG becuase there was absoulutley no games out on the GC at the time worth getting. Took me 2 years and 52 hours but I beat it and wasnt impressed. IDK why people hail it as one of the best RPG's out there.-RPGamer-

What? That doesn't make sense. :|

Look at the PS2 for instance, total sales being around 100 million hardware units. Was there any piece of software that even approached 50 million in sales? No. Do that with any piece of hardware (as long as the software isn't packaged) and you'll find the same results.

Being enjoyed by the minority can still be large.

[QUOTE="cobrax80"]What if the sequel sells more, than does that mean that people who bought the prequel want to play another game off of the franchise?Ibacai
That has no bearing whatsoever on what we are talking about. We're talking about ToS fans being the minority in the gamer user base.

That's not what i'm talking about, I just want to know why sequels sell more than the original. Like halo sold less than halo 2.

bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#37 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts
Tales of the Abyss is a better game. I'd much rather see a sequel to that.
Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Apocalypse33
Member since 2006 • 19413 Posts
ownage TOS was amazing
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

The latest IGN Wii-k in Review just came out and it looks like they dropped a bomb. From the lips of Matt Casamassina, direct quote:

[QUOTE="Matt Casamassina"]There is a Tales of Symphonia sequel coming to Wii.Hoffgod

So the Wii is getting a direct sequal to one of the best GCN RPG's. YAY!
However, it will apparently be using the same engine as the GCN game and it's not due until late 2008. Boo!

Source:GoNintendo
Hear it yourself:IGN Wii-k in Review. Check at 53:11.

Actually this is old news. They dropped the bomb in an obvious hint a few weeks back during a Wii-k in Review. Review to my post in the nintendo forum:

In the Wii-k in Review podcast IGN puts out they gave a very clear clue to there being another Tales game. They are answering reader questions and one reader asks about RPG's on the Wii. Matt said that there were RPGs coming to the Wii but he couldn't say their names. Instead he gave a very obvious clue "Let me just say there was this game called Baten Kaitos that came out, and there was another RPG that came out with it, if you guys remember it was on Gamecube. I would look forward to a sequel."

That 'other' game is obviously Tales of Symphonia. It one of my favorite GCN game so i am very excited about this. If u want to hear it for yourself u can find it at: http://wii.ign.com/articles/795/795160p1.html" title="http://wii.ign.com/articles/795/795160p1.html">http://wii.ign.com/articles/795/795160p1.html. You can find the quote just before the 32 minute mark.

I jumped for joy when i listened to that. Literally.

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cobrax80

Because people expect Sequels to be better.

So i guess that the majority might have at least thought the original was decent enough to care about buying a sequel.

Avatar image for supermechakirby
supermechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 supermechakirby
Member since 2003 • 10677 Posts
meh they hinted at the sequel like 3 weeks ago, I'll wait for official namco word till I freak out (although I already did lolol)
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

Wii= must buy. TrueReligion_

:shock: I never thought you'd ever say those words.

Anyway I'm so glad that we finally have a "quality" JRPG on the Wii.

Yes Opoona looks intresting but seriously.

Anyway ToS was a big hit selling almost 250,000 in North America alone. That's selling more then most JRPG's on the PS2.

It prooves that being that one special game exclusivly to a console can sell more then if it's multiplat since it gets so much attention as being "that game".

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
TOS 2 looks like I will be dusting off my WII
Avatar image for nishamuffypuppy
nishamuffypuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 nishamuffypuppy
Member since 2004 • 5731 Posts
Wow... wow... if true, this would be absolutely amazing. ToS was one of the best GC experiences I've had.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts

Hopefully this will make it to PAL shores like TOS GCN did.

drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 drewtwo99
Member since 2005 • 9156 Posts
Anyone who says tales of symphonia is overrated is just giving their opinions! And opinions do not matter on system wars, facts do. And the facts are that Tales of Symphonia is WIDELY considered to be a GREAT game.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
If this were true, I might actually consider buying a Wii. No joke.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

Anyone who says tales of symphonia is overrated is just giving their opinions! And opinions do not matter on system wars, facts do. And the facts are that Tales of Symphonia is WIDELY considered to be a GREAT game. drewtwo99

How can it be the Japanese have never made any good games.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Wow didn't know it was THAT popular.:?