Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25109 Posts

Hello friends,

So i have been thinking something. Prey 2017 is a game that have everything old school PC immersive sim actually need. as its spritual successor of System shock 2, set in space station huning aliens. however game was overlooked.

It was quality SP title that was long. has incredible map design here it is

Very deep and complex where you explore entire station and also find a way to fix if elevator not working then theres

a big inventory

I remember there was a time when inventory system was ended in a favor of two weapon limit but this inventory is Deus Ex like. and even like Deus Ex you can also read other emails.

it was incredible game that short on combat because game is not design for combat. its immersive sim that design to immersed you into the world with having deep level design.

Prey 2006 was simple run of the mill FPS with terrible shooting and you cant die. the cancelled sequel looks like far cry in space that people were angry about its cancellation.

so friends, why this incredible and intellectual game being overlooked and overshadowed? is it too hardcore for todays audience?

lets discuss

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46660 Posts

I've finished Prey 3 times already, but couldn't even beat Mooncrash once.

I don't know why that is exactly. It hits all the same high notes: the weapons are fun, the characters are interesting.

But the thought of doing it all in one run stresses me out. Prey and Dishonored are games where I save a lot and retry a lot.

Mooncrash forces you to play one specific way and stick with it.

The second run I did in mooncrash that Moonshark creature just straight up destroyed me and there was little I could do (the game gave barely info on what was happening). I didn't have fun getting killed by some overpowered creature that I have no info on how to beat it or avoid it.

Ragequit and uninstalled the game right there. **** that ****

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Hello Friend,

Yes

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10587 Posts

such hardcore

many intellectual

so inventory

amaze

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi said:

such hardcore

many intellectual

so inventory

amaze

my friend, in mainstream games like bioshock infinite you only walk in straight line and elizabeth guides you. it scream i am intelligent.

while in reality Prey is actually intelligent game design for old school PC gamer.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Macutchi  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

such hardcore

many intellectual

so inventory

amaze

my friend, in mainstream games like bioshock infinite you only walk in straight line and elizabeth guides you. it scream i am intelligent.

while in reality Prey is actually intelligent game design for old school PC gamer.

what did you think of the combat in prey?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34795 Posts

Why do you continuously hate on movie games, but really want to play MGS4?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

No one was able to get it.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2266 Posts

Played the demo and it was pretty terrible...

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

such hardcore

many intellectual

so inventory

amaze

it movie game that only casual bandodging trash would like.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

such hardcore

many intellectual

so inventory

amaze

Game is not design for combat. its immersive sim.

think of Deus Ex and System shock.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Macutchi  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

such hardcore

many intellectual

so inventory

amaze

the game is very much designed for combat. it's obviously not a straight forward run and gun, it forces you think carefully about how to approach each situation, use the environment creatively and do a lot of exploration to find neuromods and weapon upgrade packs.

but despite all that sounding good on paper i just didn't find it all that fun. there was an awkwardness to it. it lacked a fluidity in combat that something like dishonored has in droves. and the enemies just weren't that fun to play against and outwit. the enemy design and combat were the two main detractors for me. i tried a few different builds with combos of human and alien abilities but i still found it clunky and unsatisfying no matter which branches i upgraded. i was impressed by a lot of things in prey, but overall it didn't quite hit the spot

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

I found PREY boring.Repititive enemies.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#15 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

such hardcore

many intellectual

so inventory

amaze

the game is very much designed for combat. it's obviously not a straight forward run and gun, it forces you think carefully about how to approach each situation, use the environment creatively and do a lot of exploration to find neuromods and weapon upgrade packs.

but despite all that sounding good on paper i just didn't find it all that fun. there was an awkwardness to it. it lacked a fluidity in combat that something like dishonored has in droves. and the enemies just weren't that fun to play against and outwit. the enemy design and combat were the two main detractors for me. i tried a few different builds with combos of human and alien abilities but i still found it clunky and unsatisfying no matter which branches i upgraded. i was impressed by a lot of things in prey, but overall it didn't quite hit the spot

Enemy Design and how to deal with them were my biggest gripes as well, also not a lot of enemy variety.

It's a Solid AA hidden gem for sure

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59408 Posts

@Macutchi said:

Pretty much agree with that.

Don't think it's a bad game per-se, just not one I enjoy.

For all the clunk and overly complex levels, not really an issue have with the OG System Shock, or 2, they are compelling.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's in my queue to play - someday I'll get to it. Looks very good to me as a System Shock fan

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4199 Posts

Prey wasn't overlooked. It was a mediocre game played by mediocre gamers.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Iv been thinking about giving this another chance since I paid money for it and only played it for a few hours. I found the game to be quite the chore to play and the black things were annoying. Hopefully the game gets better later on.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@ghosts4ever: It had nothing to do with the original game and fans of the original wanted a sequel. Also, the original was released on the 360 so it was too soon for a "re-imagining" when the original Prey wasn't that old. Lastly, it wasn't that great of a game. 6 at the most for me while the original was a 8.5 in my book.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9442 Posts

Prey 2017 was one of my favorite games of that year.

I know people complain about the lack of enemy variety, but I think it works. The variety is there in how you approach a situation, just like any good Arkane game. Early game everything is scary, but you become more confident as you build your character. I think some people could be turned off by the encounters, but I don't think the enemy design is the real issue. The game just isn't a run-and-gun experience (unless you dump a bunch of points in the right place to make it one).

I think the level design is top-notch as well. Just enough of a labyrinth to make it a challenge, lots of shortcuts and secrets. Lots of good flavor. Cool security terminal mechanic. The exploration in this game is so much fun.

Also, if you haven't been spoiled on the opening sequence... It's fucking awesome.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70595 Posts

You did a thread like this before.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44703 Posts

It was slow to get into at first, felt overwhelmed when the game opened up, wasn't sure where to explore. But once things got rolling it got better and better. I loved it by the end. I definitely feel this game is overlooked, in part to some dismissing it because it wasn't a proper sequel to last gen's Prey.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k  Online

@lamprey263 said:

It was slow to get into at first, felt overwhelmed when the game opened up, wasn't sure where to explore. But once things got rolling it got better and better. I loved it by the end. I definitely feel this game is overlooked, in part to some dismissing it because it wasn't a proper sequel to last gen's Prey.

Yeah I kept seeing hate for this game because it took the name Prey, and because Bethesda had cancelled Prey 2.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k  Online
@xantufrog said:

It's in my queue to play - someday I'll get to it. Looks very good to me as a System Shock fan

Oh yeah, it definitely has a lot of System Shock and Half Life vibes. It's one of the best FPS to come out in recent years, but it can be played any way you want (hacking, alien powers, talking, ...)

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: props to you. Prey is just a rediculously difficult game. I'm still stuck at the start.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@wiiboxstation said:

@R4gn4r0k: props to you. Prey is just a rediculously difficult game. I'm still stuck at the start.

kinda funny because original Prey was incredibly easy.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: niiice

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@wiiboxstation said:

I was stuck at the start too. Thought for real I had to go into the hallway xD

The game opens up after that intro bit :P

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11277 Posts

@Macutchi said:

Man, this sums it up for me. It's like if Deus Ex: Human Revolution were developed by an anal-retentive joyless sop who thinks you needed to be woken up with the occasional jump scare. I gave it an honest-to-god try, and I thought the intro was setting up something great, and then I lost all interest about 4-5 hours in.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I played it for awhile then refunded it the graphics where a turn off to cartoonish for my taste and the combat was dull the original Prey wasn't perfect by any means but still much better then the reboot. Btw if you reply to this comment Ghost I wouldn't answer so go cry somewhere else I know you can't handle other peoples opinions you have insecurity issues.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39906 Posts

Trash gunplay and even worse enemies design

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Probably didn't help PREY 2 dev was nearly finished, canceled, then the made PREY 2017.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

Because the game sucked....

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1486 Posts

Bad marketing, should have been called Neuroshock or something since it's practically a system shock game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

I played it for awhile then refunded it the graphics where a turn off to cartoonish for my taste and the combat was dull the original Prey wasn't perfect by any means but still much better then the reboot. Btw if you reply to this comment Ghost I wouldn't answer so go cry somewhere else I know you can't handle other peoples opinions you have insecurity issues.

my friend, its fine that you dont like it. but the thing is its a game that is not design for combat at all as i explain above its not even a first person shooter. its immersive sim. a different genre. its design to immersed you in a world. none of immersive sim had good combat at all.

It has quick saves and load, lean and peak, complex level design, zero handholding and everything old school PC shooter need is in this game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever
@R4gn4r0k said:
@lamprey263 said:

Yeah I kept seeing hate for this game because it took the name Prey, and because Bethesda had cancelled Prey 2.

bethesda did right by cancelling the game. human head then made quitman which consider one of the worst game of all time. there track record was awful. especially compare to Arkane lol the only developer who make immersive games.

further more Prey 2006 by human head also suck. you barely doing anything. the combat suck and it was roller coaster alien ride. no challenge at all.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4391 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Macutchi said:

such hardcore

many intellectual

so inventory

amaze

the overall gameplay was not corrosive. instead what stuck and played well with the engine. is what we got.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I thought it was a great game. I get the criticism of the combat, but on my play-through I specialized in hacking and defensive abilities, so combat wasn't a big part of my play-through. In the early encounters I would usually sneak past enemies, or use the stun gun to get away from them if they were too strong (you can find the stun gun very early if you know where to look).

By the second half of the game I had created and hacked so many security bots I could just sit back and watch them take care of the aliens for me, which was quite satisfying.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

its not made the original developers and it has no deathmatch like the original it's shit.

they cancelled the true prey 2 by human head studios and gave us a pile of shit, f u c k bethesda.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever

@filthyn00b said:

its not made the original developers and it has no deathmatch like the original it's shit.

they cancelled the true prey 2 by human head studios and gave us a pile of shit, f u c k bethesda.

good they cancelled far cry in space and give us system shock 2 spritual successor.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Macutchi  Online

@firedrakes said:
@Macutchi said:

the overall gameplay was not corrosive. instead what stuck and played well with the engine. is what we got.

i'm not sure what you mean by that pal sorry

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4391 Posts

@Macutchi: they had small bits of the game that work and them using a new engine the cry engine 4.0. padded the rest of the game

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Litchie

I really want a sequel to Prey (2006). It was only an ok game, but I loved the concept of it. The atmosphere was awesome. I also thought the presentation they gave us of Prey 2 looked really cool.

Prey (2017) is probably a pretty good game, but it just doesn't interest me. The enemies look boring and annoying and the game just doesn't look that fun to play. Didn't enjoy System Shock that much either.. I liked Deus Ex: Human Evolution a lot, but disliked Mankind Divided.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

I really want a sequel to Prey (2006). It was only an ok game, but I loved the concept of it. The atmosphere was awesome. I also thought the presentation they gave us of Prey 2 looked really cool.

Prey (2017) is probably a pretty good game, but it just doesn't interest me. The enemies look boring and annoying and the game just doesn't look that fun to play. Didn't enjoy System Shock that much either.. I liked Deus Ex: Human Evolution a lot, but disliked Mankind Divided.

Like i said its not suppose to be fun. it suppose to be immersive.

and how can you didnot enjoy System shock? its one of the best game ever made. and still most intelligent design game.

Prey 2006 was casual arcady run of the mill shooter.

Prey 2017 is actual hardcore and intellectual immersive sim.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Litchie

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

and how can you didnot enjoy System shock? its one of the best game ever made. and still most intelligent design game.

The game is not supposed to be fun?

Umm.. k. I play games to have fun though, but you do you.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

The game is not supposed to be fun?

Umm.. k. I play games to have fun though, but you do you.

some games are suppose to be immersive. they put immersion.

Deus Ex 1 was not fun but it was immersive that is why to this day its best game ever made.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3143 Posts

A single-player game without a cinematic narrative released in the dead of Q2? The one bright side: it and other Bethesda sales disappointments inspired that "Oh god, we made you single-player games, why aren't you buying them?" mock commercial starring Lynda Carter.

FlawlessPoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FlawlessPoop
Member since 2017 • 168 Posts

because it's boring, a boring ass version of system shock.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

perhaps cause it sucked.