Why PC gaming is dying - Calling out you hermits

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kojak8888
Member since 2003 • 264 Posts
Now first of all, when you see the title, I know some hermit will say ... OMG LEMMING/COW/SHEEP - that's not the case. I made the title like that to attract more viewers, but anyways... Let me start off by saying that I do play my Xbox more, but I like my PC as well, but have no reason to upgrade anymore. I've been wanting to do this post for a while now, but I didn't know how to go about it until now. The main reason PC gaming is dying? Simply put, why make a game on the PC that isn't an MMO/Fee based game when we could put it on a gaming console too? Or just for the consoles? No matter what any developer says, they do this for A LIVING and they'd like to get money out of it (except for some Mod teams of course, but probably do it for the experience to get a job). Also, one of the things that has been cutting into developer's pockets is piracy. Whether hermits won't admit it, piracy is ruining non-fee based games mostly on the PC. I know that piracy exists on the consoles too, but it's not nearly as easy to do on the PC. Here's a quote from Epic Games "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works."(http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46079) They're absolutely right too. I know there are people who don't pirate games (like myself), but there's a lot of people who do, whether they like to admit it or not. Hell, I read somewhere that new games that come out and have a patch have twice as many people DL the patch than people who bought the game (after a day or so since the release). One of the factors hermits bring up is that, "OMG THE PRECISION OF THE MOUSE!" Please, I've used the mouse in all of the popular FPSs and it's not all what its cracked up to be. Sure, a person with a mouse will beat a person with a gamepad, but the thing is - EVERYONE on the consoles have to use the gamepads. So there isn't any downfall, unless you suck with it. Most PC to console friends I have are very bad with it at first, but when they play games with it for around a day, maybe a week, they love it. And to be honest, now that the consoles have motion sensing, I think that they'll be as good as PC gamers (when they optimize the controls - probably another console generation). But yeah, my main point is that all these PC gamers say the PC has the best games, and they really don't. Most of the games they have are also available on the consoles nowadays. The exclusives that you DO get, aren't very good at all anymore (please don't bash me on RTS games, because I honestly can't play one besides Warcraft 3). The last PC exclusive I've had fun with in a while was Dark Messiah, and before that, Half-Life 2 and thats IT (besides WoW). Both are coming to the 360/consoles. If a hermit doesn't think Crysis will come, he/she is just being stubborn. Yeah... it might not look as good as a maxed out PC, but it'll look better than 75% of the computers out there. Hell, I don't even think Crysis will break 2 million in sales the first six months on the PC, because people aren't going to upgrade their computer to the maximum just for one game and WoW (see what I did there? :P). Yes, yes, I know that the consoles don't have enough RAM to run Crysis, but do you think they really tried much? They're just trying to polish the game right now, and then see how it does in the PC market. When they don't get their money back from the cost of making it, they'll call up EA or UBI faster than you can say "bad Uwe Boll movie". I know why people game on the PC though. I know that it's cheap for playing the same FEW games online that you bought a few years ago like most people (CS, DOD, COD, BF, UT2k4, etc, etc...), but when you get bored playing your CS match for the 62,530th time, you'll probably make the same switch that I have and will get into console gaming (hell, my friend on the PC still plays UT99...).
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kojak8888
Reserved
Yoruichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yoruichii
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
Been hearing the same tune.. but PC game sells are still good....
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Welcome to Misconception alley, where fanboys don't know JACK about computers. Lets start off with misconception number one. We have the most high quality titles PERIOD. We get the most exclusives out of any platform PERIOD. I don't CARE about your lolipop predispositions toward our games. We still get the most good games PERIOD. We have had a steadily increasing sales rate for four terms now, and the sales are doing the best they ever have after a golden year like 1998 or 2004. Mouse and keyboard is NOT a valid arguement against "PCs" per say mainly because we have controllers. The price arguement against computers is also moot. Face value may be higher, but you could conceivablly spend less on a gaming rig over the span of a generation. You also do not have to upgrade constantly. You can buy a rig that will last you the entire generation that out performs consoles. As far as piracy goes? Thats just an excuse that developers use to hide their greediness. Companies like ID and Epic dont' even have majorly pirated games, yet they go "OMG OUR GAMES ARE BEING PIRATED LAWL" just to save face. Their games ARE NOT being pirated. Its kind of redundant to pirate an online only game, only to not be able to play it becauseo f authentication huh? There isn't a single fact you posted in there that is't a misconception. The only valid reason a console fanboy can EVER say they prefer consoels is just that, they just prefer it.
Yoruichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yoruichii
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Welcome to Misconception alley, where fanboys don't know JACK about computers. Lets start off with misconception number one. We have the most high quality titles PERIOD. We get the most exclusives out of any platform PERIOD. I don't CARE about your lolipop predispositions toward our games. We still get the most good games PERIOD. We have had a steadily increasing sales rate for four terms now, and the sales are doing the best they ever have after a golden year like 1998 or 2004. Mouse and keyboard is NOT a valid arguement against "PCs" per say mainly because we have controllers. The price arguement against computers is also moot. Face value may be higher, but you could conceivablly spend less on a gaming rig over the span of a generation. You also do not have to upgrade constantly. You can buy a rig that will last you the entire generation that out performs consoles. As far as piracy goes? Thats just an excuse that developers use to hide their greediness. Companies like ID and Epic dont' even have majorly pirated games, yet they go "OMG OUR GAMES ARE BEING PIRATED LAWL" just to save face. Their games ARE NOT being pirated. Its kind of redundant to pirate an online only game, only to not be able to play it becauseo f authentication huh? There isn't a single fact you posted in there that is't a misconception. The only valid reason a console fanboy can EVER say they prefer consoels is just that, they just prefer it.

Yea.. but i'm a computer Nut.. so i upgrade my computer often becuase i have the means too.. not many do =P
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
PC base covers a much larger area than consoles and more people own PCs than any of the 3 current gen systems. PC wins.
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kojak8888
More people may own PCs, but most of them don't use it just for gaming, like they do with consoles. PC is primarily a WoW and myspace box, whether you guys like to admit it or not. And the price? Did I even say anything about the price?.. no, I didn't. I know PC gaming can be as cheap as a console, as I made my PC a few years ago for pretty cheap and can still play most of the newer games (with the exception of Supreme Commander which I haven't even bothered to try). But why would you make one/upgrade your current one for the few games that you get that don't go to the consoles.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vandalvideo
More people may own PCs, but most of them don't use it just for gaming, like they do with consoles. PC is primarily a WoW and myspace box, whether you guys like to admit it or not. And the price? Did I even say anything about the price?.. no, I didn't. I know PC gaming can be as cheap as a console, as I made my PC a few years ago for pretty cheap and can still play most of the newer games (with the exception of Supreme Commander which I haven't even bothered to try). But why would you make one/upgrade your current one for the few games that you get that don't go to the consoles.Kojak8888
I hate to break it to you, but we are still getting the highes t ammount of exclusive high quality titles annually. We have twice as many AAA titles as any other platform this year so far. We have, and always will have the majority of the high quality titles. This much is a fact. I don't CARE if you don't like our titles. We still get them. Your random opinion does not outweigh this fact. I hate to bring back the sig, let sleeping giants lay.
Yoruichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yoruichii
The sig is back =P
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kojak8888
[QUOTE="Kojak8888"]More people may own PCs, but most of them don't use it just for gaming, like they do with consoles. PC is primarily a WoW and myspace box, whether you guys like to admit it or not. And the price? Did I even say anything about the price?.. no, I didn't. I know PC gaming can be as cheap as a console, as I made my PC a few years ago for pretty cheap and can still play most of the newer games (with the exception of Supreme Commander which I haven't even bothered to try). But why would you make one/upgrade your current one for the few games that you get that don't go to the consoles.Vandalvideo
I hate to break it to you, but we are still getting the highes t ammount of exclusive high quality titles annually. We have twice as many AAA titles as any other platform this year so far. We have, and always will have the majority of the high quality titles. This much is a fact. I don't CARE if you don't like our titles. We still get them. Your random opinion does not outweigh this fact. I hate to bring back the sig, let sleeping giants lay.

Compare PC game sales to consoles/handhelds in general and you will lose miserably. The only game that's been keeping up with console/handheld gaming is WoW and the Sims expansion pack # 25252 that I've never heard of. Also, show me proof that PC has all these EXCLUSIVE AAAs for 2006. These have to be games that were released in 2006 only, and I bet I can give you more on one of the consoles.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
This thread fails.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Kojak8888"]More people may own PCs, but most of them don't use it just for gaming, like they do with consoles. PC is primarily a WoW and myspace box, whether you guys like to admit it or not. And the price? Did I even say anything about the price?.. no, I didn't. I know PC gaming can be as cheap as a console, as I made my PC a few years ago for pretty cheap and can still play most of the newer games (with the exception of Supreme Commander which I haven't even bothered to try). But why would you make one/upgrade your current one for the few games that you get that don't go to the consoles.Kojak8888

Compare PC game sales to consoles/handhelds in general and you will lose miserably. The only game that's been keeping up with console/handheld gaming is WoW and the Sims expansion pack # 25252 that I've never heard of. Also, show me proof that PC has all these EXCLUSIVE AAAs for 2006. These have to be games that were released in 2006 only, and I bet I can give you more on one of the consoles.

And you can't compare PC game sales to console/handheld sales for one major reason; The industries work entirely different. There are random golden years for the PC market that mark considerable growth and an over abundance of games. After these years there is ALWAYS a recession in sales IRREGARDLESS. This is natural. Don't act ilke this decline is the end all for PC gaming. It will eventually go back up. Heck, its recovering faster than it ever has!
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kojak8888
Name all those AAA games you were talking about in 2006. I'll compare them with one of the consoles, and see which list is bigger. Gogo... they have to be EXCLUSIVE too.
LiL_PiNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LiL_PiNo
Member since 2006 • 835 Posts
It seems to disagree...  Also, the mouse is the best/most accurate for FPS AND RPG games
Avatar image for machitocaliente
machitocaliente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 machitocaliente
Member since 2007 • 832 Posts
IF PC GAMING DIES. WHAT GAMES ARE U GOING TO PLAY ON YOUR 360?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vandalvideo
Name all those AAA games you were talking about in 2006. I'll compare them with one of the consoles, and see which list is bigger. Gogo... they have to be EXCLUSIVE too.Kojak8888
Why do they necessarilly have to be exclusives in the first place? If a multiplat scores consierablly well on a PC thats saying something. Even if a game scores lower on the PC thats to be expected. We always get the better version. Standards are consiberablly higher on the PC because games are compared from the entire platform back, while console games are compared ver console. The fact still stands that we get the most high quality titles. It doesn't matter if they're exclusive, because we still get the better version. Even then, we still get the most exclusive titles anually as is.
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

No matter what any developer says, they do this for A LIVING and they'd like to get money out of it (except for some Mod teams of course, but probably do it for the experience to get a job).

What is the incentive of making PC games? Consumer demand. PC gamers make up a percentage of the gaming community that is large enough to provide ample profit for developers. Regardless if a game is made for a console, many gamers perfer and will not purchase a game because it is only avaliable for X consoles. I hate console gaming specifically for this reason; games are fragmented along corporate monopolies and scattered across multible consoles. Consumers demand PC gaming because PC games give users more options. A PC title, unlike a console port, does not dumb the game down, or force the user to play in any paticular way. Instead, the PC developer assumes that PC users are intellegent and mature enough to tailor a game to their own needs. Mods, developer consoles, and third party applications can alter a game to better suit the gamer's taste. This level of customization, anti-commercialization, and genres which work better on PC's at the current time create a demand for good PC games. Developers realize that they can supply games to meet this demand and earn a good deal of profit. Developing a PC game might not provide as much profit, which would explain the recent trend of PC-console ports (which often detracts from the quality of a PC gaming by "dumbing it down" for the console market), but developers can still earn a heafty markup. This is why PC games won't drop off the face of the earth. Holding market demand trends relatively constant, if consoles allowed for more diverse forms of input, supported true hard-drive capabilities to allow mods/consoles/etc, and gave users more options -- PC gaming might come under threat ONLY because PC gamers no longer demand PC titles.
LiL_PiNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LiL_PiNo
IF PC GAMING DIES. WHAT GAMES ARE U GOING TO PLAY ON YOUR 360? machitocaliente
Omg, QFT. I dont know how me and my 360 will cope, if Microsoft starts to fall
LiL_PiNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LiL_PiNo
P.S. Im not a farm animal
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vandalvideo

No matter what any developer says, they do this for A LIVING and they'd like to get money out of it (except for some Mod teams of course, but probably do it for the experience to get a job).FoamingPanda

What is the incentive of making PC games? Consumer demand. PC gamers make up a percentage of the gaming community that is large enough to provide ample profit for developers. Regardless if a game is made for a console, many gamers perfer and will not purchase a game because it is only avaliable for X consoles. I hate console gaming specifically for this reason; games are fragmented along corporate monopolies and scattered across multible consoles. Consumers demand PC gaming because PC games give users more options. A PC title, unlike a console port, does not dumb the game down, or force the user to play in any paticular way. Instead, the PC developer assumes that PC users are intellegent and mature enough to tailor a game to their own needs. Mods, developer consoles, and third party applications can alter a game to better suit the gamer's taste. This level of customization, anti-commercialization, and genres which work better on PC's at the current time create a demand for good PC games. Developers realize that they can supply games to meet this demand and earn a good deal of profit. Developing a PC game might not provide as much profit, which would explain the recent trend of PC-console ports (which often detracts from the quality of a PC gaming by "dumbing it down" for the console market), but developers can still earn a heafty markup. This is why PC games won't drop off the face of the earth. Holding market demand trends relatively constant, if consoles allowed for more diverse forms of input, supported true hard-drive capabilities to allow mods/consoles/etc, and gave users more options -- PC gaming might come under threat ONLY because PC gamers no longer demand PC titles.

I miss Smokey the Panda.
azrealhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 azrealhk
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts
The PC drives the gaming world. The death of PC gaming will be the death of console gaming. Do you think the next gen consoles will be good, if NVidia and ATi/AMD stops developing new PC graphics cards? It is the upgrades and the PC enthusiasts which keeps buying the latest and greatest and where most of NVidia and ATi/AMD best profit margins comes from.
mongo_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mongo_14
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
[QUOTE="Kojak8888"]Now first of all, when you see the title, I know some hermit will say ... OMG LEMMING/COW/SHEEP - that's not the case. I made the title like that to attract more viewers, but anyways... Let me start off by saying that I do play my Xbox more, but I like my PC as well, but have no reason to upgrade anymore. I've been wanting to do this post for a while now, but I didn't know how to go about it until now. The main reason PC gaming is dying? Simply put,(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( why make a game on the PC that isn't an MMO/Fee based game when we could put it on a gaming console too?))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Or just for the consoles? No matter what any developer says, they do this for A LIVING and they'd like to get money out of it (except for some Mod teams of course, but probably do it for the experience to get a job). Also, one of the things that has been cutting into developer's pockets is piracy. Whether hermits won't admit it, piracy is ruining non-fee based games mostly on the PC. I know that piracy exists on the consoles too, but it's not nearly as easy to do on the PC. Here's a quote from Epic Games "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works."(http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46079) They're absolutely right too. I know there are people who don't pirate games (like myself), but there's a lot of people who do, whether they like to admit it or not. Hell, I read somewhere that new games that come out and have a patch have twice as many people DL the patch than people who bought the game (after a day or so since the release). One of the factors hermits bring up is that, "OMG THE PRECISION OF THE MOUSE!" Please, I've used the mouse in all of the popular FPSs and it's not all what its cracked up to be. Sure, a person with a mouse will beat a person with a gamepad, but the thing is - EVERYONE on the consoles have to use the gamepads. So there isn't any downfall, unless you suck with it. Most PC to console friends I have are very bad with it at first, but when they play games with it for around a day, maybe a week, they love it. And to be honest, now that the consoles have motion sensing, I think that they'll be as good as PC gamers (when they optimize the controls - probably another console generation). But yeah, my main point is that all these PC gamers say the PC has the best games, and they really don't. Most of the games they have are also available on the consoles nowadays. The exclusives that you DO get, aren't very good at all anymore (please don't bash me on RTS games, because I honestly can't play one besides Warcraft 3). The last PC exclusive I've had fun with in a while was Dark Messiah, and before that, Half-Life 2 and thats IT (besides WoW). Both are coming to the 360/consoles. If a hermit doesn't think Crysis will come, he/she is just being stubborn. Yeah... it might not look as good as a maxed out PC, but it'll look better than 75% of the computers out there. Hell, I don't even think Crysis will break 2 million in sales the first six months on the PC, because people aren't going to upgrade their computer to the maximum just for one game and WoW (see what I did there? :P). Yes, yes, I know that the consoles don't have enough RAM to run Crysis, but do you think they really tried much? They're just trying to polish the game right now, and then see how it does in the PC market. When they don't get their money back from the cost of making it, they'll call up EA or UBI faster than you can say "bad Uwe Boll movie". I know why people game on the PC though. I know that it's cheap for playing the same FEW games online that you bought a few years ago like most people (CS, DOD, COD, BF, UT2k4, etc, etc...), but when you get bored playing your CS match for the 62,530th time, you'll probably make the same switch that I have and will get into console gaming (hell, my friend on the PC still plays UT99...).

pc gaming may be sinking into a pit of (mmo)s, but dont think the same thing won't happen to consles. LIVE is the beginning of the end for (non-mmo) gamming
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vandalvideo
Mongo: If by pit of mmos you mean "A vast array of every genre and the most high quality titles released annually"...........then totally.
Avatar image for Radeon_X1950XTX
Radeon_X1950XTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Radeon_X1950XTX
Member since 2006 • 1055 Posts
i have xbox 360 i have these games for it pgr3 graw Geow oblivion Cod3 condemned fight night saints row nba 2k7 mlb 2k7 rainbow six madden fear and more for my pc i have warcraft3 expansion battlefield 2 counter-strike source half-life 2 Day of Defeat source... and im on my pc most of the time playing games....
mongo_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mongo_14
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
good point, but ther's no time to play more than two of them.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="Kojak8888"]Now first of all, when you see the title, I know some hermit will say ... OMG LEMMING/COW/SHEEP - that's not the case. I made the title like that to attract more viewers, but anyways... Let me start off by saying that I do play my Xbox more, but I like my PC as well, but have no reason to upgrade anymore. I've been wanting to do this post for a while now, but I didn't know how to go about it until now. The main reason PC gaming is dying? Simply put, why make a game on the PC that isn't an MMO/Fee based game when we could put it on a gaming console too? Or just for the consoles? No matter what any developer says, they do this for A LIVING and they'd like to get money out of it (except for some Mod teams of course, but probably do it for the experience to get a job). Also, one of the things that has been cutting into developer's pockets is piracy. Whether hermits won't admit it, piracy is ruining non-fee based games mostly on the PC. I know that piracy exists on the consoles too, but it's not nearly as easy to do on the PC. Here's a quote from Epic Games "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works."(http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46079) They're absolutely right too. I know there are people who don't pirate games (like myself), but there's a lot of people who do, whether they like to admit it or not. Hell, I read somewhere that new games that come out and have a patch have twice as many people DL the patch than people who bought the game (after a day or so since the release). One of the factors hermits bring up is that, "OMG THE PRECISION OF THE MOUSE!" Please, I've used the mouse in all of the popular FPSs and it's not all what its cracked up to be. Sure, a person with a mouse will beat a person with a gamepad, but the thing is - EVERYONE on the consoles have to use the gamepads. So there isn't any downfall, unless you suck with it. Most PC to console friends I have are very bad with it at first, but when they play games with it for around a day, maybe a week, they love it. And to be honest, now that the consoles have motion sensing, I think that they'll be as good as PC gamers (when they optimize the controls - probably another console generation). But yeah, my main point is that all these PC gamers say the PC has the best games, and they really don't. Most of the games they have are also available on the consoles nowadays. The exclusives that you DO get, aren't very good at all anymore (please don't bash me on RTS games, because I honestly can't play one besides Warcraft 3). The last PC exclusive I've had fun with in a while was Dark Messiah, and before that, Half-Life 2 and thats IT (besides WoW). Both are coming to the 360/consoles. If a hermit doesn't think Crysis will come, he/she is just being stubborn. Yeah... it might not look as good as a maxed out PC, but it'll look better than 75% of the computers out there. Hell, I don't even think Crysis will break 2 million in sales the first six months on the PC, because people aren't going to upgrade their computer to the maximum just for one game and WoW (see what I did there? :P). Yes, yes, I know that the consoles don't have enough RAM to run Crysis, but do you think they really tried much? They're just trying to polish the game right now, and then see how it does in the PC market. When they don't get their money back from the cost of making it, they'll call up EA or UBI faster than you can say "bad Uwe Boll movie". I know why people game on the PC though. I know that it's cheap for playing the same FEW games online that you bought a few years ago like most people (CS, DOD, COD, BF, UT2k4, etc, etc...), but when you get bored playing your CS match for the 62,530th time, you'll probably make the same switch that I have and will get into console gaming (hell, my friend on the PC still plays UT99...).

I'll attack your points quite quickly. Firstly, PC gaming is hardly in decline. Figures show, in the US at least, PC software sales are rising. Piracy is a problem, yes, but it's going to be a problem for consoles in the future with increased connectivity. Additionally, the NPD admits it really can't keep a track of how well PC games are selling, since it doesn't cover transfer services like Direct2Drive or Steam, which are gaining increasing momentum. So your argument it's selling less is out. Secondly, you just admit the KB/M is better, and that console gamers can put up. You really take a defensive position on this one, so my advice would be in the future; don't bring it up. Thirdly, most PC games are NOT available on consoles. World of Warcraft has no plans to port over to consoles, as Blizzard has said unless some major changes occur in the console industry. Additionally, whereas PC has strength in almost every genre, consoles are ridiculously lacking in RTS, MMORPGs, Adventure games and Strategy. And Crysis may come as a spin off, but it won't come as a direct port. No, I'm not being stubborn, I'm relaying what Crytek has said, that Crysis in it's current form cannot work on consoles, and that they plan to use Crysis to re assert PC superiority over consoles. Do I think they've tried much? Probably. I tend to think they understand the development process a little better than you.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Most Pc devs are too small and niche to make it in console gaming and they also specialise in games that don't work on consoles. Modern standart for next-gen is 80-100 peoples team, 15-20mln$ development budget and over 10mln$ marketing budget. Without those a game doesn't have a chance to become a hit on consoles. Which is why most Pc devs will stay Pc-only, they are simply to small to make it in console market, they had their chance to jump last gen, those who missed that are unlikely to ever be able to do that again, not unless they grow 3-5 times bigger(typical Pc dev team is 20 people or less)
lilrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 lilrush
Member since 2005 • 1695 Posts
PC gaming will be around for a while. Now stop all the whiney "pc death" threads.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdrianWerner
Name all those AAA games you were talking about in 2006. I'll compare them with one of the consoles, and see which list is bigger. Gogo... they have to be EXCLUSIVE too.Kojak8888
erm...galactic civilizatons2, gtr2,. company of heroes, diner dash. those were 4 exclusive AAAs pc has in 2006. compared to let's say 360, which had zero exclusive AAAs(as it's only one GeoW is being ported to pc) I say it's preety nice. In 2006 PC had 4 exclusive AAAs and over 26 exclusive AAs. Preety nice I think. Actualy most good Pc games are exclusive. This is true for AAAs,. AAs and As, there are more exclusive PCgames from each of those than there are multiplatforms. Plus this year it's doing preety nicely, already two exclusive AAAs and 3 exclusive AAs.
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kojak8888
PC gaming won't necessarily die out, as there will be people who prefer playing on them for a long time, but what I mean by the post is that the sales are definately slipping, and consumers are buying software on the consoles more than on the PC. I personally think the next generation of consoles (2010 atleast), will actually really hurt PC sales (more so than now). Think of it like this, if you have a great controlling method, exclusives that the PC won't get, games from the PC that you will get, the easily functionable online services, some of those features Panda named, and on one console for an affordable price? Why would you buy a PC when you can get a console then? Lets face it, gaming consoles and PCs are going to become one entity with the console companies selling us this "blah blah blah is a digital hub!". will make one box that will be able to play all the latest and greatest games and it'll have all those features listed above and thats when I believe that PC gaming will officially die.
jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts
I'm not reading your big post of crap, going back to playing Supreme Commander, maybe you should try playing games?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vandalvideo
PC gaming won't necessarily die out, as there will be people who prefer playing on them for a long time, but what I mean by the post is that the sales are definately slipping, and consumers are buying software on the consoles more than on the PC. I personally think the next generation of consoles (2010 atleast), will actually really hurt PC sales (more so than now). Think of it like this, if you have a great controlling method, exclusives that the PC won't get, games from the PC that you will get, the easily functionable online services, some of those features Panda named, and on one console for an affordable price? Why would you buy a PC when you can get a console then? Lets face it, gaming consoles and PCs are going to become one entity with the console companies selling us this "blah blah blah is a digital hub!". will make one box that will be able to play all the latest and greatest games and it'll have all those features listed above and thats when I believe that PC gaming will officially die.Kojak8888
I reitterate the fact that PC sales have been steadily increasing for four consecutive terms. Stop making up crap. As a matter of fact, PC sales started gonig up at the begining of next-gen. A Far Cry from what you were saying. (LAME PUN)
noIinteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 noIinteam
Member since 2004 • 1644 Posts
Sorry, didn't bother to read your opinionated post. As for pc gaming dying, there is a small little game call wow that has about 8.5 million subscribers. There are other games but I don't feel like looking it up since you can spend the time using google to find it out.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Danm_999
PC gaming won't necessarily die out, as there will be people who prefer playing on them for a long time, but what I mean by the post is that the sales are definately slipping, and consumers are buying software on the consoles more than on the PC. I personally think the next generation of consoles (2010 atleast), will actually really hurt PC sales (more so than now). Think of it like this, if you have a great controlling method, exclusives that the PC won't get, games from the PC that you will get, the easily functionable online services, some of those features Panda named, and on one console for an affordable price? Why would you buy a PC when you can get a console then? Lets face it, gaming consoles and PCs are going to become one entity with the console companies selling us this "blah blah blah is a digital hub!". will make one box that will be able to play all the latest and greatest games and it'll have all those features listed above and thats when I believe that PC gaming will officially die.Kojak8888
But PC sales aren't declining. And you do make a good point, but you come to the wrong conclusion. As consoles strive to attain more and more features that the PC has, they'll have to become more and more like the PC. Soon we might be seeing replaceable and upgradeable consoles to increase their longevity. And when a console can do everything a PC can in exactly the same fashion, PC gaming won't die, console gaming will, since it will be so like PC it has lost all distinction.
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kojak8888
I love how everybody tries to own me with "OMG THE WOW CARD". I'll say it once and I'll say it again, PC = WoW/Myspace box atm.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Danm_999
I love how everybody tries to own me with "OMG THE WOW CARD". I'll say it once and I'll say it again, PC = WoW/Myspace box atm.Kojak8888
So we just discredit WoW because it's extremely popular and doesn't fit the paradigm of your argument that PC gaming is dying?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vandalvideo
I love how everybody tries to own me with "OMG THE WOW CARD". I'll say it once and I'll say it again, PC = WoW/Myspace box atm.Kojak8888
By WoWMyspace box you mean the platform with the most high quality titles and the most exclusives released annually. I guess by that logic the 360 is jsut a GEOW BOX ONLY and the PS3 is a resistance box only and the Wii is a Zelda box only. JUST TOT ALLY IGNORE ALL THOSE OTHER GOOD GAMES!
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts
You still don't seem to understand the post I made. Your predictions are invalid simply because PC gamers demand PC titles. Period. Oh, I christen this round of posting, with my new signature -- "sad panda." After enduring the hell that has been Wii, the announcement of Windows Live, and the failure of the PS3, I've finally become sad panda.
MrPinktc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 MrPinktc
Member since 2003 • 872 Posts
[QUOTE="Kojak8888"]I love how everybody tries to own me with "OMG THE WOW CARD". I'll say it once and I'll say it again, PC = WoW/Myspace box atm.Vandalvideo
By WoWMyspace box you mean the platform with the most high quality titles and the most exclusives released annually. I guess by that logic the 360 is jsut a GEOW BOX ONLY and the PS3 is a resistance box only and the Wii is a Zelda box only. JUST TOT ALLY IGNORE ALL THOSE OTHER GOOD GAMES!

Don't mind me I just uh "coughgeowcomingtoPCcough* was just passing by.
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
Dark messiah is going to consoles??? I liked it as well. ANd to me pc gaming hasn't gone downhill. One thing that will always be best on pc's are rts games. I just got Dawn of War and it is incredibly fun. And I don't view the piracy as a major issue. People still buy the game, other people who normally would not buy the game downloads it, they liek the game, they are more inclined to buy the sequel or to play multiplayer.
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kojak8888
I know that WoW is doing well. Hell, I used to play it until December. It's definately the dream success game to have nowadays. That's why I avoided it into my post. If you actually read it, you would've seen that.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Danm_999
I know that WoW is doing well. Hell, I used to play it until December. It's definately the dream success game to have nowadays. That's why I avoided it into my post. If you actually read it, you would've seen that.Kojak8888
Of course. Why mention things that contradict your argument.
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kojak8888
I didn't necessarily mean avoid, rather I said as far as this type of genre goes, etc. The post is mainly directed at FPS/shooter games. It would definately be unfair if you based MMORPG sales from 360 to PC. That's why I left it out.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Danm_999
I didn't necessarily mean avoid, rather I said as far as this type of genre goes, etc. The post is mainly directed at FPS games. It would definately be unfair if you based MMORPG sales from 360 to PC. That's why I left it out.Kojak8888
So then your only talking about FPS on the PC?
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kojak8888
[QUOTE="Kojak8888"]I didn't necessarily mean avoid, rather I said as far as this type of genre goes, etc. The post is mainly directed at FPS games. It would definately be unfair if you based MMORPG sales from 360 to PC. That's why I left it out.Danm_999

I edited it to shooter, but what I mean is that it's just unfair to say that "well 360 doens't have any MMOs!" It's not possible, as it's not possible to have a good 3d fighter on the PC. In terms of action/adventure/shooter/racing games, there isn't much that PC got that the consoles didn't. Oh well, I'll check back tomorrow when I have to defend more of my points. Later
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="Kojak8888"]I didn't necessarily mean avoid, rather I said as far as this type of genre goes, etc. The post is mainly directed at FPS games. It would definately be unfair if you based MMORPG sales from 360 to PC. That's why I left it out.Kojak8888

I edited it to shooter, but what I mean is that it's just unfair to say that "well 360 doens't have any MMOs!" It's not possible, as it's not possible to have a good 3d fighter on the PC. In terms of action/adventure/shooter/racing games, there isn't much that PC got that the consoles didn't. Oh well, I'll check back tomorrow when I have to defend more of my points. Later

The PC has plenty of fighters. They may not be as well known as DOA or Virtua Fighter, but we most certainly have them.
Kojak8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kojak8888
Lol, nice sig. If there are PC 3d fighters, I've never heard of them. I know about Mugen and what not, but I don't think there's one that's popular. I also really couldn't imagine using a KB/M on one. Gamepads for the PC are too difficult to shop for too since there's too many brands :/. Also wanted to add that I'm only directing my attack at PC gaming only. I don't think it's necessary to say that I don't know how to use a PC, as I've been using one since I was very young. I love the PC, as what I'm going to do for a living involves it heavily (game programming, imagine that?). I just don't think that the sales will keep up to the console gaming market.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vandalvideo
Lol, nice sig. If there are PC 3d fighters, I've never heard of them. I know about Mugen and what not, but I don't think there's one that's popular. I also really couldn't imagine using a KB/M on one. Gamepads for the PC are too difficult to shop for too since there's too many brands :/.Kojak8888
Then just use your PS2 or 360 controller. Thats what I do.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AdrianWerner
PC gaming won't necessarily die out, as there will be people who prefer playing on them for a long time, but what I mean by the post is that the sales are definately slipping.Kojak8888
except that sales aren't slipping, they are growing (mostly through online distribution, but even retail in US has been growing recently)
superjay5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 superjay5000
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
from cpu to gpu from harddisk to ram from usb to internet from mouse to keyboard console now have almost everything it used to denied --- untill console finally get it, including FPS (and most possibly MMOs in the future) console killed pc? console turned into pc like the CEO Kutaragi said: " ps3 is acutally a PC" the boss is wiser than fanboys and that's why he is the boss XD those original pc companies, both hardware and software companies, they all seized "next-gen" territory they have done a great job ---- pc gamers now have more choice ---- choose to play games like the elder scroll series on tv or pc, which they have been playing for over ten years. or maybe should we just connect our pc to tv then we've got a console! PS: notice that it's 2007, the second year of 360 and ps3's first year on stage. look back to 2002 and 2004, then guess how it would be in 2008,2009? just be cool