Why Japanese Games Are Breaking Up With the West (1up)

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

From 1up:

"It's not you, it's me." That's the message the Japanese gaming industry is telling the world this week at TGS. "Our games are as good as ever, they're just not for you anymore."

Critics in the west have been crowing about the supposed death of the Japanese industry for years. And while their critiques have a certain degree of truth to them, they're missing the point. Japanese game development did run into trouble during this console generation, but their issues are so removed from the average gamer's experience (workforce and labor management) as to be meaningless. The games themselves are as good as they've ever been, but they're just not made for the entire world anymore. Japanese games are now by and large made to appeal almost exclusively to Japanese gamers. Rather than this being another piece that focuses on the alleged downfall of the Japanese industry, we thought we should focus on why Japanese games and western tastes have diverged so much in recent years. There's no single cause that can explain the phenomena -- the possible reasons range from the social and economic, to the practical and mundane. Regardless, the fact remains that Japanese gamers are now seeking different experiences from North Americans and Europeans.

Gamer taste in both regions underwent a massive sea change in recent years. While the slow takeover of the AAA console space by former PC heavy-hitting franchises, genres and studios like Fallout,FPS games, and BioWare changed the tastes of the western market in the past decade, other forces have been working on Japan in the same time. The reasons for the shift in Japanese gamer taste are numerous, but there are three that western gamers in the country continuously note -- a peculiar emotion calledmoe, the Japanese concept of hobbies and adulthood, and a tradition of disparaging foreign games.

Hit the jumpfor more.http://www.1up.com/features/japanese-games-breaking-west?pager.offset=1

So is moe really that big of an issue? What do you think of the changing Japanese attitudes towards gaming? Are Western games really s***, or are the Japanese just xenophobic?

Sound off, System Warriors.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Japanese developers as a whole haven't kept up with the development and innovations of developers from the rest of the world. Pretty much that simple.
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

I don't understand that they're calling "moe" here.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Look at him. Moe can't be guilty of this.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarkLink77

Yangire
What do you mean?
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

It does make some sense. Some japanese games are made for a certain crowd and are not for everyone. Western reviews can give low scores all they want in the end like I said its made for a certain crowd.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The Japanese market is entirely different from the NA market. That's why the 360 doesn't sell at all over there.

Different market, different games. Simple enough.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

DarkLink77

What do you mean?

Just saying moe is a emotion, I'm not big on moe myself but I wouldn't call moe an emotion.

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

DarkLink77

What do you mean?

moe games aren't even that big of an issue of what's coming out to the US and the ones that have came to the US were somewhat success for the publisher. There has been more non moe Japanese games here than Moe in general, so it's a bit odd for them to focus on that.

So in short: those moe games are hardly an issue when there's few released in the US.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarkLink77

The Japanese market is entirely different from the NA market. That's why the 360 doesn't sell at all over there.

Different market, different games. Simple enough.

ChubbyGuy40
Did you read the damn article? :P
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Yangire"]

Yangire

What do you mean?

Just saying moe is a emotion, I'm not big on moe myself but I wouldn't call moe an emotion.

What would you call it, then?
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts
There are a variety of factors. I think one of the main one is is anime actually, the Japanese generally see no appeal in the American/European game their games. Most Japanese games, including AAA games have an obvious anime influence. That's not good of course, they should be more opened minded.
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

I've been saying something of this caliber to my good friend, username farslip, for the longest time. The west, ever eager to force others to conform, demand that the Japanese market do the same thing. If this were so, gaming would grow stale fast. The Japenese, for xenophobic reasons or not, help there to be some alternative variety in offerings.

Demanding that they do the same as the west is ridiculous. Claiming that they are growing stale might have some weight, but it is not the whole truth. The so-called "gamers" these days just want everything to be like what THEY like. Showing us just how self-entitled they really are.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Did you read the damn article? :PDarkLink77

JK, browsed through it earlier today but couldn't be bothered to pay attention.

thatisfalse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thatisfalse
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts
we're gonna see those games, they'll just be on handhelds. it's sad because it's the lack of Japanese support that makes the PS3/360 feel like they're the same console sometimes.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] What do you mean?DarkLink77

From what I've heard and read, it sounds more like an emotional attachment or a preference towards certain characters or types of characters. But I could be wrong. I'm not directly familiar with that term.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Yangire

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] What do you mean?DarkLink77

I'm not real good at discribing moe but:

Moe is something you call a girl (usually not real), or a moe action. Something that is moe is usually cute, endearing, and has "moe" attributes like clumsiness or is tusndere. There's not a real clear meaning from what I know, so this is just what I have gathered.

For example this is moe:

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#18 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
If life has thaught me anything...then its definitly that 1up is NEVER a trustworthy source.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KC_Hokie

I've been saying something of this caliber to my good friend, username farslip, for the longest time. The west, ever eager to force others to conform, demand that the Japanese market do the same thing. If this were so, gaming would grow stale fast. The Japenese, for xenophobic reasons or not, help there to be some alternative variety in offerings.

Demanding that they do the same as the west is ridiculous. Claiming that they are growing stale might have some weight, but it is not the whole truth. The so-called "gamers" these days just want everything to be like what THEY like. Showing us just how self-entitled they really are.

mmmwksil

You must really love 'Japanimation' then because the best games to come out of Japan this generation appeal to the world AND Japan (Demon's Souls, MGS4, Vanquish, GT 5, etc.)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkLink77
If life has thaught me anything...then its definitly that 1up is NEVER a trustworthy source.lightleggy
1up has great articles, what are you smoking? :o
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I don't think "moe" is a term used by anyone outside of Japanese nerd culture.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts
Hopefully we get more developers do this kind of stuff instead of trying to open the game to everyone! Dumbed down
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hakanakumono

The term "moe" probably stems from "moeru," "to burn," as if you are just overwhelmed by the cuteness of something.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

KC_Hokie

You must really love 'Japanimation' then because the best games to come out of Japan this generation appeal to the world AND Japan (Demon's Souls, MGS4, Vanquish, GT 5, etc.)

I don't follow. What does my interest in "Japanimation" or lack thereof have to do with my opinion on the western influences being exerted on Japanese development?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

They're right, Japanese games haven't fallen, it's just that more PC gamers are on consoles now and Western-st-y-led games are more popular on consoles more than in the past. That's why you are starting to see more Japanese devs and publishers ignoring Western audiences.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

mmmwksil

I don't follow. What does my interest in "Japanimation" or lack thereof have to do with my opinion on the western influences being exerted on Japanese development?

You seem fine with the stagnation of Japanese developers because they preserve 'Japanimiation' for "variety offerings". I certainly don't see a lack of variety coming out of Japanese developers trying to make games that appeal to the world and Japan.

I'm saying the best games to come out of Japan this generation appeal to not only Japan but the world as well. And they certainly aren't stale. There is a ton of variety.

So preservation of 'Japanimation' among far too many Japanese developers has resulted in them losing ground. 15-25 years ago Japanese developers dominated the console market.

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

This is too bad because I like to play genres other than shooters and sports games.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KC_Hokie

They're right, Japanese games haven't fallen, it's just that more PC gamers are on consoles now and Western-st-y-led games are more popular on consoles more than in the past. That's why you are starting to see more Japanese devs and publishers ignoring Western audiences.

Bigboi500

Are you joking? Back in the NES, Genesis, SNES, PS, PS2 eras you could barely find games that didn't come from Japan. Now I struggle to find console games that appeal to me from Japan.

They've lost MAJOR ground over the last 10 years.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#29 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]If life has thaught me anything...then its definitly that 1up is NEVER a trustworthy source.DarkLink77

most of the ones I've seen just shout "IM THE AUTHOR AND I NEVER ACTUALLY PLAYED ANY OF THE GAMES I DISCUSS HERE!"

for example one about "videogame characters who would suck in real life"

the guy mentioned squall from FF8, I got no problem with the mention, but the reasons bothered me, and it was clear to me that he didnt played the game, ever, not even for 5 minutes.

he said that the reason why squall would suck as a real life soldier was that squall "was rebellious and never followed orders from his superiors"

so maybe he missed...pretty much the whole game, where squall is presented as a guy who do whatever his boss tells him to do, and who always go by the book...hell even in timber when he says to rinoa "you just tell us what to do, we will do it" and rinoa scolds him for following orders like a robot.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

KC_Hokie

Are you joking? Back in the NES, Genesis, SNES, PS, PS2 eras you could barely find games that didn't come from Japan. Now I struggle to find console games that appeal to me from Japan.

You said the keyword "to me".

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

finalfantasy94

Whatever. The selection of Japanese developed games that appeal to gamers outside of Japan is pitiful compared to what it was just 10 years ago. Sales figures alone can show you that.

And the Japanese developers scratch their heads wondering why their games don't sell outside of Japan.

Talk about a 'duh!' moment. And the Japanese developers who don't adapt deserve to permanently lose their former share of the global software market.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

KC_Hokie

No they've just always appealed to console gamers. The introduction of the Xbox started the flow of Western games to consoles and the philosophy of consoles trying to become more like PCs. Halo started the mass migration of FPSs to consoles.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Bigboi500

No they've just always appealed to console gamers. The introduction of the Xbox started the flow of Western games to consoles and the philosophy of consoles trying to become more like PCs. Halo started the mass migration of FPSs to consoles.

Japanese developers have barely made a ripple in the world PS3 software market compared to the PS2. You can't blame lack if innovation of Japanese game developers on the Xbox 360.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Are you joking? Back in the NES, Genesis, SNES, PS, PS2 eras you could barely find games that didn't come from Japan. Now I struggle to find console games that appeal to me from Japan.

KC_Hokie

Whatever. The selection of Japanese developed games that appeal to gamers outside of Japan is pitiful compared to what it was just 10 years ago. Sales figures alone can show you that.

And the Japanese developers scratch their heads wondering why their games don't sell outside of Japan.

Talk about a 'duh!' moment. And the Japanese developers who don't adapt deserve to permanently lose their former share of the global software market.

So what if it doesint appeal to everyone. That doesint mean they all make bad games. Just cause they dont appeal to you doesint mean jack. Dont try to geniralies what you like with other gamers. ALso sales dont prove anything. Sales are not a bar of quality.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
I feel like I can only speak for myself here when I say that games from Japan have greatly fallen from grace from last generation to this one. Last gen I can comfortably say that the majority of titles I greatly enjoyed were from Japan. This gen, instead of it being a majority, it's now in the 5-10% range. At the same time, two of my favorite games this gen (Galaxy 2 & Bayonetta) are from Japan.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
It's a clear divergence between the two places, the Japanese game industry is running into a similar situation that the western industry ran into when trying to sell in Japan. With few exceptions, the west and the east will probably be treated as separate markets for different products than a whole market for a universal product (video games).
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

finalfantasy94

So what if it doesint appeal to everyone. That doesint mean they all make bad games. Just cause they dont appeal to you doesint mean jack. Dont try to geniralies what you like with other gamers. ALso sales dont prove anything. Sales are not a bar of quality.

Nothing wrong with it. I'm simply saying if Japanese developers want a significant global presence, like they had a mere 10 years ago and have have since the NES era, they have to make games that appeal to the world. And they seem unwilling to do that as a collective group.

I personally don't like games with 'Japanimation' so I won't lose any sleep if the number of Japanese developers declines over time due to lack of innovation.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KC_Hokie

It's a clear divergence between the two places, the Japanese game industry is running into a similar situation that the western industry ran into when trying to sell in Japan. With few exceptions, the west and the east will probably be treated as separate markets for different products than a whole market for a universal product (video games). themyth01
But from about 1986 until early 2000s they were one market with a vast majority of the consoles games coming from Japan. AND appealed to both the world and Japanese gamers.

So a large number of Japanese developers are unwilling to go back to what make them global juggernauts. Pretty strange phenomena.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="lightleggy"]If life has thaught me anything...then its definitly that 1up is NEVER a trustworthy source.lightleggy

most of the ones I've seen just shout "IM THE AUTHOR AND I NEVER ACTUALLY PLAYED ANY OF THE GAMES I DISCUSS HERE!"

the guy mentioned squall from FF8, I got no problem with the mention, but the reasons bothered me, and it was clear to me that he didnt played the game, ever, not even for 5 minutes.

he said that the reason why squall would suck as a real life soldier was that squall "was rebellious and never followed orders from his superiors"

so maybe he missed...pretty much the whole game, where squall is presented as a guy who do whatever his boss tells him to do, and who always go by the book...hell even in timber when he says to rinoa "you just tell us what to do, we will do it" and rinoa scolds him for following orders like a robot.

Oh my god you understand ff8. :o

ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ActionRemix

My favorite games are mostly still developed in Japan, even this gen.

Metal Gear Solid is an example of a game series that continues to be developed with Americans in mind even if it tries to have its cake and eat it too by including all of that weird anime ****

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Whatever. The selection of Japanese developed games that appeal to gamers outside of Japan is pitiful compared to what it was just 10 years ago. Sales figures alone can show you that.

KC_Hokie

Nothing wrong with it. I'm simply saying if Japanese developers want a significant global presence, like they had a mere 10 years ago and have have since the NES era, they have to make games that appeal to the world. And they seem unwilling to do that as a collective group.

I personally don't like games with 'Japanimation' so I won't lose any sleep if the number of Japanese developers declines over time due to lack of innovation.

The Japanese like to draw things as cartoons. They like cartoons. Who cares if they style things as cartoons? That's like looking at western games and going "Ugh, realism AGAIN?" There's no point.

"Japanimation" isn't even a word.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Are you joking? Back in the NES, Genesis, SNES, PS, PS2 eras you could barely find games that didn't come from Japan. Now I struggle to find console games that appeal to me from Japan.

KC_Hokie

Japanese developers have barely made a ripple in the world PS3 software market compared to the PS2. You can't blame lack if innovation of Japanese game developers on the Xbox 360.

Lack of innovation is just your view point from your Western-centric preferences. Take FFXIII for example, it was similar to FFX and it sold very well, scored high, was appreciated and even loved by the majority of Japanese fans. On the other hand it was despised by a lot of Western-loving game fans (who seemed to love FFXII btw, go figure) for not being more like WRPGs.

The PS3 wanted to be something different from the PS2, have more Western games and be the most powerful console, and then it almost failed because it was too expensive. It focused on developing shooters to appeal to the Western audience.

The Xbox 360 started out trying to be more like the (then) market leader PS2 by securing a bunch of exclusive JRPGs, and when they saw the success of Nintendo's Wii, they shifted focus again by bringing out Kinect. They just try to emulate who ever is on top at the moment.

Nintendo is now bringing out the Wii U in an attempt to capitolize on the success of all the multiplats, so they're doing their best to sweet-talk and appeal to Western devs. Everybody wants to be like everybody else in the gaming industry, and this is just the way everything shook out up to this point.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KC_Hokie

Metal Gear Solid is an example of a game series that continues to be developed with Americans in mind even if it tries to have its cake and eat it too by including all of that weird anime ****

ActionRemix
Roughly 20% of the MGS4 copies were sold in Japan. It's an example of what Japanese developers were doing since the NES era...make games that sell worldwide AND Japan. A strategy lost among most modern day Japanese developers.
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts
[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]

KC_Hokie
Roughly 20% of the MGS4 copies were sold in Japan. It's an example of what Japanese developers were doing since the NES era...make games that sell worldwide AND Japan. A strategy lost among most modern day Japanese developers.

It's not lost. As a matter of fact it's still here.
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
ironic then that the only exclusive AAAA games this gen are japanese made, though they are the exception tho
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ActionRemix

[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]

KC_Hokie

Sure, but I think the claim that this is rare is an exaggeration. Plenty of the big Japanese game dev holding companies like Nintendo and Capcom make games that appeal to multiple markets. Even though the West dominates modern genres, Japan still makes the best fighters and platformers. My hope is that with the Wii U, Nintendo will lease out more of their IPs to Western devs like they did with DK and Metroid with Rare and Retro.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] 1up has great articles, what are you smoking? :ohakanakumono

Oh my god you understand ff8. :o

It's still bad. :P
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Japanese developers as a whole haven't kept up with the development and innovations of developers from the rest of the world. Pretty much that simple.KC_Hokie
I didn't really find western developers very innovative either. There's awesome games, but nothing that hasn't been done before.
2013th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 2013th
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts

Japanese still seem handheld strong in the west though. Tons of games I like for them. Though every time I see a game thats japan only, most of the time I agree. I't would be like convincing an american to worship a random jpop Idol.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14956 Posts
[QUOTE="ActionRemix"]

KC_Hokie

yeah....look how they "Japanified" the FF series...and wonder why the characterization and story get criticixed more than in th epast. And really, back in the SNES/PS1 era, some JRPGs did allow for plot choices and freedom, and many considered the best...FFV (really the only FF game where player choice alters the ending other than X-2)I, Chrono Trigger, the entire Ogre Battle series, Seiken Densetsu 3 and LEGEND OF MANA!!!!, the first three Suikoden games (II being the best in the series at meaningful choice and consquence). They went away from that to make highly linear games that are just played once and you see everything, padded with grinding to increase the playing time. Only Atlus is consistantly coming up with great, original, and innovative JRPGs now. Radiant historia and Catherine (its own genre probably) were both excellent titles.