Why is this generation so much worse than last gen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Hey guys. I wanted to raise some discussion about the state of the new generation of consoles. However, before we talk about that, I think it's imperative that we talk about last gen.

When the Xbox 360 first came out, I was a huge fan and I've stuck with it for the past 7 years. Back then, the 400 dollars was crazy value. For that money, you were literally playing games that a 1000 dollar rig could barely handle. At that point, consoles were way better than PC's unless you had a 2000 dollar rig. PC simply couldn't compete.

Now if we fast forward to today and examine the PS4/XBONE generation, we see that this is not even close to the case. For the 500 dollars that an Xbox One costs, you can build a slightly better PC. Recently, Gamespot published a news article about the GTX 750ti, which, for 150 dollars, runs Titanfall better than the Xbox One.

Considering the similarity in value between PC's and consoles now, I can't imagine the difference in value 3 or 4 years down the line. After a long 4 or 5 years after the Xbox 360 came out, PC finally had the ability to beat the performance of an Xbox 360 at the same price. Today, the PC already matches, perhaps even beats consoles in value.

So this raises the question, how will consoles fair this generation? If the PS4/XBONE came out with the same value as they did last gen, they should have the same capabilities as the 750 dollar GTX 780. Instead, they are slightly less powerful than the 150 dollar GTX 750ti. I love me some console but is it realistic to think that this generation could possibly last 7 years? I mean the tech is already lacking to that of PC's right out of the gate. Ya you can argue that devs can find ways to integrate their games for consoles like what happened in the latter half of the last console cycle but this gen, the architecture between consoles and PC's are extremely similar, giving me doubts about any crazy integration happening.

What do you guys think? How will this gen fair compared to last gen? Will it be a lot shorter of a cycle until the next generation of consoles come out? Are we witnessing the decay of console gaming??

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Problem is the games are mostly rehashes of the previous gen with better graphics,

Ai hasn't really evolved since the late 90s and that seems to be a major complaint for every AAA game I've seen.

Also MICROTRANSACTIONS and pre-release DLC.

The cost of AAA development is also spiraling out of control, while sales are falling.

I think this gen we will see more low/mid budget games and publishers will attempt to take more risks to stand out (hopefully).

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Once the AAA quality games roll around, we will go back to debating games and exclusives and stop bickering over statistics again.

The good games have just been slow out the gate but 2014 is looking promising.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

haha well in my OP post, I was mainly talking about hardware. Last gen, on release the hardware was equal to a high end computer. this gen, it's equivilent to the 150 dollar GTX 750 ti. How did Microsoft and Sony not realize that Nvidia and AMD had better value in their GPU's than the consoles do...

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

It just started.....it will get much much better

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

You need at least 500 posts before making a topic.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

haha well in my OP post, I was mainly talking about hardware. Last gen, on release the hardware was equal to a high end computer. this gen, it's equivilent to the 150 dollar GTX 750 ti. How did Microsoft and Sony not realize that Nvidia and AMD had better value in their GPU's than the consoles do...

Oh, sorry didn't read :P. problem with consoles is they have to be relatively compact, and so overheating is a big issue and also power consumption.

PC's have no such limitations, while consoles have to use small enough/power efficiient components to fit and lower temps. Guess that's partly why PC's are more powerful for the same cost.

Also Kinect adds alot to the cost of xbone.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

This gen just started, lmao.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

This gen just started, lmao.

Same thing I was thinking.

Every new gen we get impatient people like OP talking about how the new gen is shit. They don't seem to understand that making good games takes time. You won't get innovative AAA experiences within the first 3 months of a new gen, that happens very very rarely.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@melonfarmerz: This gen just started. You shouldn't buy consoles for graphics. No one cares about your opinion because lol 11 posts.

SelfReflect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SelfReflect
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

This generation has been awful...IF you went with the xbone. Its under-powered, over-priced, comes with a mandatory kinect spy cam and has a secondary focus on gaming

IF you went with the PS4 (like the VAST majority have) then its been a great gen so far

-revolutionary PS4 share features that were built around gaming

--PS Vita remote play

-All the best versions of multi-plats are on PS4

-All them exclusive PS4 indies which arent on xbone

-All the free games given out over PSN+

-Sony with the PS4 has been ALL about gaming and has done gaming to perfection

Etc etc etc and I can keep going on and on

I love my PS4. One of the greatest pure gaming consoles ever. Been having so much fun with it.

Price for power the PS4 cant be touched either

The amount of power and features you get for a PS4 at its price is simply bananas

Account for inflation, and NO console has ever come close to the power per price ratio the PS4 offers.

And the thing is, the PS4 just came out. Yet in this year alone, there will be Infamous, the Order, The Show, Drive Club

PS4 is WHERE ITS AT

Dont get down on next gen just because the xbone is a piece of shit

The PS4 has been amazing and its future burns brighter then a solar flare

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

I don't get why people bitch so much when we are a few months in at best. Last gen sucked early on too.

SelfReflect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SelfReflect

@melonfarmerz said:

When the Xbox 360 first came out, I was a huge fan and I've stuck with it for the past 7 years. Back then, the 400 dollars was crazy value. For that money, you were literally playing games that a 1000 dollar rig could barely handle. At that point, consoles were way better than PC's unless you had a 2000 dollar rig. PC simply couldn't compete.

I just actually read your OP

When the 360 came out, it never came close to rendering graphics that looked like the PC games of that time on high graphical settings

Where as, the PS4 today can render a game like Battlefield 4 that looks every bit as good as Battlefield 4 on a high end PC maxed out does

Factually, PS4 is wayyy more ahead of its time, then the 360 was,

And scaling for inflation, PS4 costs much less in todays time, then the 360 cost during its time to boot

(Hell, the 360 didnt even have blue ray and wasnt even more advanced then a PS3 lol....yet there is NO OTHER console more powerful then a PS4)

Lastly, to build a PC that has similar performamce to a PS4, for the same price of a PS4, that also has 8gb of unified GDDR5 ram and a GPUGPU like the PS4 has...it would be impossible....

Power per dollar there is NOTHING out there that even comes close to offering what the PS4 is offering power per dollar

Just to build a PC with similar specs to a PS4 alone would cost you a fortune more then the PS4 does

PS4 is way ahead of the curve and is amazingly affordable to boot (thank you Sony)

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

Once the AAA quality games roll around, we will go back to debating games and exclusives and stop bickering over statistics again.

The good games have just been slow out the gate but 2014 is looking promising.

Exactly. If people don't remember, generation-defining titles that brought innovating gameplay didn't start coming out until the second year the console was out. Launch lineups are just cash grabs for gamers who can't possibly wait to buy new systems. Come this holiday, the Xbox One and ps4 should have some unique and interesting content that didn't exist last generation.

SelfReflect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SelfReflect

To build a PC that has similar performamce to a PS4, for the same price of a PS4, that also has 8gb of GDDR5 ram and a GPUGPU like the PS4 has...it would be impossible....

Power per dollar there is NOTHING out there that even comes close to offering what the PS4 is offering power per dollar

Just to build a PC with similar specs to a PS4 alone would cost you a fortune more then the PS4 does

PS4 is way ahead of the curve and is amazingly affordable to boot (thank you Sony)

The PS4 is WHAT the 360 was CLAIMED to be....

The 360 was never as graphically impressive for its time as hyped up to be nor was it as ahead of PCs as it was hyped up to be etc

The PS4 is.... and COSTS way less.....scale for inflation and the 360 cost about 600$-700$ back then...and the 360 didnt even have blue ray either and was still a little weaker then the PS3 ...

And now with the xbone, the xbone is a complete RIP OFF. The xbone is 50% weaker and 100$ more expensive then a PS4...

Microsoft is always fucking gamers over. **** Microsoft....Thank god for the PS4 and Thank god for Sony...Sony SAVED this gen....

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@mario-galaxys said:

You need at least 500 posts before making a topic.

Yep, sorry. System Wars has custom rules, explained in the floated System Wars survival guide thread.