Why is Kill Zone 2 such a big deal?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS2luv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PS2luv
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts
I read a few posts in these forums and well, it sounds like PS3 owners dont know what a good game is. Killzone 2 is good at best. The visuals are foggy, the controls are slow, the weapons are definitely not from a futuristic alien world and the bad guys look all the same. Call of Duty 4 and World at war are so much more fun and call of duty 4 looks better.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Nice, ignoring the vast online heirarchy and gorgeous visuals. Nice.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#3 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I guess Gamespot doesn't know what a good game is either. Giving it a 9.0... jeez...

I still haven't played it yet though so I can't really comment on whether it is good or not.

larryb007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 larryb007
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

It's a really only a big deal for the ps3 owners that don't have a 360 or wii

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts
[QUOTE="PS2luv"]I read a few posts in these forums and well, it sounds like PS3 owners dont know what a good game is. Killzone 2 is good at best. The visuals are foggy, the controls are slow, the weapons are definitely not from a futuristic alien world and the bad guys look all the same. Call of Duty 4 and World at war are so much more fun and call of duty 4 looks better.

lol, new account just to bash KZ2... lol how sad the game is fantasic.... and 99% of people, critics and gamers disagree with you
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It's because it isn't Flopzone 2.

And "what the heck" at your post.

CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts
I have a question; why do people bash games even though they haven't played it yet?

On ascale of 1 to 10. How necessary was this thread?

ActicEdge

larryb007
What?
DBhova23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DBhova23
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts
I wish i had more hands so I can give this thread 4 thumbs down.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
I love the single player, i'm on my third run through on Elite. The Online is ho hum, and no where near as fun as the COD series. My big Brother loves the online and thinks the SP is boring. To each his own.
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
YOu are a lost soul if you think that.
PS2luv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PS2luv

WAIW
Thanks, I think its pretty adult of me to think for my self and have my own opinion! Try it, it feels good!
Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Abicus7
Member since 2007 • 2009 Posts

Killzone 2 is great. not the best game ever, but great none the less.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61551 Posts

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

PS2luv

Thanks, I think its pretty adult of me to think for my self and have my own opinion! Try it, it feels good!

There are times when that rule doesn't work... on occasion opinions can be completely wrong. You bring up fairly valid points, however they were all part of the design, foggy visuals = motion blur, helps hide aliasing... and this along with sluggish controls (body armour and gun are heavy) gives a more defining version of realism to date on consoles.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
dude, imo, it's a great game. in yours, evidently not. big deal.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I am a PS3 owner, among others. I am a huge Halo fanboy, and I love most FPS games. KZ2 is not perfect, but its very very good. Why make a new account to bash it?
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

larryb007

I have a 360 and wii and i love this game so I fail to see your point

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="larryb007"]

DanteSuikoden

I have a 360, PC and PS3, along with owning a PSP and DS in the past. So his point is obiously wrong... man I love when people make points, where there are a number of people out there, they know that can shoot it down

PS2luv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PS2luv
I am a PS3 owner, among others. I am a huge Halo fanboy, and I love most FPS games. KZ2 is not perfect, but its very very good. Why make a new account to bash it?SpruceCaboose
Why would you say that I made a new account just to bash it? Just because I decided to jump in and finally write something doesn't mean my points are any less valid.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cainetao11
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="PS2luv"][QUOTE="WAIW"]

There are times when that rule doesn't work... on occasion opinions can be completely wrong. You bring up fairly valid points, however they were all part of the design, foggy visuals = motion blur, helps hide aliasing... and this along with sluggish controls (body armour and gun are heavy) gives a more defining version of realism to date on consoles.

let's not get into this, an opinion is never right or wrong. you either agree or don't. everyone's entitled to theirs and our disagreeing doesn't make it wrong.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WAIW

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

PS2luv

Great job assuming things! Yes, you're so very mature.

I actually don't like Killzone much, but it's understandable why so many people are interested in it. That's what your thread title asks, right? But wait, I have a PS3, I HAVE to love KZ2 :roll:

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]I am a PS3 owner, among others. I am a huge Halo fanboy, and I love most FPS games. KZ2 is not perfect, but its very very good. Why make a new account to bash it?PS2luv
Why would you say that I made a new account just to bash it? Just because I decided to jump in and finally write something doesn't mean my points are any less valid.

you're a level 1 with few posts, which means you haven't been reading the forums for long as you can level up without posting ya know... which makes your point moot

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]I am a PS3 owner, among others. I am a huge Halo fanboy, and I love most FPS games. KZ2 is not perfect, but its very very good. Why make a new account to bash it?PS2luv

Its a new account, and you are bashing KZ2, which is why I said it. I never said it was an alt. Although it likely is.
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zassimick  Moderator

I don't see how your points are valid in the first place aside from just adding your two cents in (blog) or trying to rile up fans of the game.

The weapons: There are many different visions/stories/whatever about what futuristic weapons and alien tech should look like. Look at Halo with the Needler, Mass Effect and its weaponry, Star Trek and the weapons they use there. Its the vision of the creators,there is no predetermined way futuristic weapons should look. Besides, if you look at the... 1970s and see what they say about the year 2000 we should have had flying cars, holograms and what-not for all of society to use.

The Helghast: How else are enemies in suits supposed to look? Should one be wearing the suit in its gray armor and then another be in a clown costume? There's a sort of realism to it when they all look the same being a part of the same army.

Controls: I can not comment on these, but people seem to enjoy them just fine and the Gamespot review said they take some getting used to but it works out very well when you are used to them.

Visuals: It looks sharp and clear to me when I look at the game, save for the motion blur which I think is a really nice design choice.

JTH_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 JTH_22
Member since 2005 • 1438 Posts

ActicEdge

I'll go with a -1. Seriously the visuals are well done and it presents an intense firefight filled experience. I really don't see the control issues. I've had no problems with them. There are several setups to choose from for the controls and #2 worked great for me.

DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

[QUOTE="DanteSuikoden"]

[QUOTE="larryb007"]

lundy86_4

I have a 360, PC and PS3, along with owning a PSP and DS in the past. So his point is obiously wrong... man I love when people make points, where there are a number of people out there, they know that can shoot it down

I have a DS and PSP as well but I'm a bit skeptical on a gaming rig:P

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

ActicEdge

I'd give it ab out a 0. It broke your scale. :P

PS2luv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PS2luv

[QUOTE="PS2luv"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]I am a PS3 owner, among others. I am a huge Halo fanboy, and I love most FPS games. KZ2 is not perfect, but its very very good. Why make a new account to bash it?lundy86_4

you're a level 1 with few posts, which means you haven't been reading the forums for long as you can level up without posting ya know... which makes your point moot

Actually, my points are very valid... rather than address what I wrote you are attacking my "forum points". Killzone 2 is slow no matter what weapon you are holding, the pistol ( plus, you cant get rid of the thing and hold 2 good weapons) or the bolt gun The motion blur is ehhh, I dont care if its for aliasing, it kind of takes away from all the technical praise its received... Plus, you have to press "O" to go up and down ladders????
Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Abicus7

[QUOTE="PS2luv"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]I am a PS3 owner, among others. I am a huge Halo fanboy, and I love most FPS games. KZ2 is not perfect, but its very very good. Why make a new account to bash it?Zassimick

I don't see how your points are valid in the first place aside from just adding your two cents in (blog) or trying to rile up fans of the game.

The weapons: There are many different visions/stories/whatever about what futuristic weapons and alien tech should look like. Look at Halo with the Needler, Mass Effect and its weaponry, Star Trek and the weapons they use there. Its the vision of the creators,there is no predetermined way futuristic weapons should look. Besides, if you look at the... 1970s and see what they say about the year 2000 we should have had flying cars, holograms and what-not for all of society to use.

The Helghast: How else are enemies in suits supposed to look? Should one be wearing the suit in its gray armor and then another be in a clown costume? There's a sort of realism to it when they all look the same being a part of the same army.

Controls: I can not comment on these, but people seem to enjoy them just fine and the Gamespot review said they take some getting used to but it works out very well when you are used to them.

Visuals: It looks sharp and clear to me when I look at the game, save for the motion blur which I think is a really nice design choice.

Gotta agree with all your points, Not a bigfan of " teh lazer beams" in FPS's . PLus after playing RE 5 for a few hours, KZ 2's controls feel godly.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WAIW

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="PS2luv"] Why would you say that I made a new account just to bash it? Just because I decided to jump in and finally write something doesn't mean my points are any less valid.PS2luv

Actually, my points are very valid... rather than address what I wrote you are attacking my "forum points". Killzone 2 is slow no matter what weapon you are holding, the pistol ( plus, you cant get rid of the thing and hold 2 good weapons) or the bolt gun The motion blur is ehhh, I dont care if its for aliasing, it kind of takes away from all the technical praise its received... Plus, you have to press "O" to go up and down ladders????

Most people are fine with the lethargic controls. I'll admit it's been annoying me for the past dozen hours, but I'm starting to get used to it.

Again, the motion blur is something most people accept, probably because it actually looks kind of pretty.

Yea, pressing 'O' for ladders and those inane Sixaxis mini-games is annoying... But is that really one of your complaints? It hardly detracts from the experience to press O once in awhile.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thetruespin
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="PS2luv"] Why would you say that I made a new account just to bash it? Just because I decided to jump in and finally write something doesn't mean my points are any less valid.PS2luv

the motion blur is used in most new games, including crysis.... the game is not meant to be like COD "camera on rollerskates" style... the aliasing?? What aliasing? You have to press O to go down ladders... god?!
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Actually I, along with a couple other posters negated your points in a previous post, you just skipped over them. God forbid I have to press a button to go up and down ladders... because looking up and running forward is so much more realistic. I'm glad you bring in your opinion but it's a shame that 99% of the gaming world disagrees with you, which in other words basically means you're wrong

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thetruespin

[QUOTE="PS2luv"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

WAIW

Most people are fine with the lethargic controls. I'll admit it's been annoying me for the past dozen hours, but I'm starting to get used to it.

Again, the motion blur is something most people accept, probably because it actually looks kind of pretty.

Yea, pressing 'O' for ladders and those inane Sixaxis mini-games is annoying... But is that really one of your complaints? It hardly detracts from the experience to press O once in awhile.

why do people moan about the controls? dont like them? Switch to alt 2 in options and you can play with the same controls COD uses

and motion blur is realistic... if something moves fast the eye perceives it as bluring. turn you heard fast.. hell, stand up and spin round... things blur dude

PS2luv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PS2luv
I cant believe some of you are defending the weapon selection! We're suppose to be invading a futuristic alien world and there are racks upon racks of rifles, shot guns and other earthly world war 2 style weapons.
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thetruespin
I cant believe some of you are defending the weapon selection! We're suppose to be invading a futuristic alien world and there are racks upon racks of rifles, shot guns and other earthly world war 2 style weapons.PS2luv
what are you on about.. WW2 weapons? Like the bolt gun, the electric gun? What, becase not every gun fires "lasers" you think the weapons are WW2 style? Would you prefer it if everyone used light sabers?
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WAIW

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

[QUOTE="PS2luv"] Actually, my points are very valid... rather than address what I wrote you are attacking my "forum points". Killzone 2 is slow no matter what weapon you are holding, the pistol ( plus, you cant get rid of the thing and hold 2 good weapons) or the bolt gun The motion blur is ehhh, I dont care if its for aliasing, it kind of takes away from all the technical praise its received... Plus, you have to press "O" to go up and down ladders???? thetruespin

why do people moan about the controls? dont like them? Switch to alt 2 in options and you can play with the same controls COD uses

It's more of an issue with sensitivity, which you can't customize enough in my opinion. Moving around feels slow slow and awkward... Some people just don't like it.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts
I read a few posts in these forums and well, it sounds like PS3 owners dont know what a good game is. Killzone 2 is good at best. The visuals are foggy, the controls are slow, the weapons are definitely not from a futuristic alien world and the bad guys look all the same. Call of Duty 4 and World at war are so much more fun and call of duty 4 looks better.PS2luv
It is very obvious that you never have played this game.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4

I cant believe some of you are defending the weapon selection! We're suppose to be invading a futuristic alien world and there are racks upon racks of rifles, shot guns and other earthly world war 2 style weapons.PS2luv

Have you served in the military or know anybody who has? You carry your main rifle and a sidearm... you don't carry numerous weapons

On top of this... using laser rifles would just detract from the feel of the game... using firearms with realistic ammunition is much more desirable

Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Abicus7

Sometimes good ol' hot lead just gets the job done.

PS2luv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PS2luv

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

[QUOTE="PS2luv"] Actually, my points are very valid... rather than address what I wrote you are attacking my "forum points". Killzone 2 is slow no matter what weapon you are holding, the pistol ( plus, you cant get rid of the thing and hold 2 good weapons) or the bolt gun The motion blur is ehhh, I dont care if its for aliasing, it kind of takes away from all the technical praise its received... Plus, you have to press "O" to go up and down ladders???? thetruespin

and motion blur is realistic... if something moves fast the eye perceives it as bluring. turn you heard fast.. hell, stand up and spin round... things blur dude

Have you played the game? I use Alt 2 and maxed out the axis sensitivity... the game is still slow.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

PS2luv

Have you played the game? I use Alt 2 and maxed out the axis sensitivity... the game is still slow.

as it was designed to be... by the developer... so what is your point? that you can't spin on a point like Halo?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zassimick  Moderator

[QUOTE="PS2luv"]I cant believe some of you are defending the weapon selection! We're suppose to be invading a futuristic alien world and there are racks upon racks of rifles, shot guns and other earthly world war 2 style weapons.thetruespin
what are you on about.. WW2 weapons? Like the bolt gun, the electric gun? What, becase not every gun fires "lasers" you think the weapons are WW2 style? Would you prefer it if everyone used light sabers?

My uber-futuristic gun shoots out Jedi with an alternative fire to shoot Sour Skittles. The neon-sparkliness that Sour Skittles have give off the impression of futuristic. ;)

The weapons in Killzone 2 are a design choice. I find it hard to believe that the selection of weapons are so unbelievable that the complaint is valid, especially since I don't think I've heard a single reviewer mention something about the weapons detracting from the experience.

IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts

Well, this is just not a popular opinion. I don't think that it is a big deal either, but you can't deny that it IS a great game. Even if it''s being judged vs. other games, it's still great. You can't take anything from it. Big deal? I don't know. I went to the midnight release for it (I work at night and figured I should just pick it up when I can) and they had 5 guys including ME. I think that it's only a big deal on gaming sites etc. Not to many casuals concerned about it. In my opinion at least.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thetruespin
[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

[QUOTE="WAIW"]

PS2luv

yes... because this IS NOT COD!!!! if you want COD, go and play COD. I dont get people like you
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="thetruespin"][QUOTE="PS2luv"]I cant believe some of you are defending the weapon selection! We're suppose to be invading a futuristic alien world and there are racks upon racks of rifles, shot guns and other earthly world war 2 style weapons.Zassimick

My uber-futuristic gun shoots out Jedi with an alternative fire to shoot Sour Skittles. The neon-sparkliness that Sour Skittles have give off the impression of futuristic. ;)

The weapons in Killzone 2 are a design choice. I find it hard to believe that the selection of weapons are so unbelievable that the complaint is valid, especially since I don't think I've heard a single reviewer mention something about the weapons detracting from the experience.

I think it's more unrealistic of us to put in laser shooting rifles.. I mean come on... I mean good old fashioned ordinance has won us numerous wars and battles... and a bullet in the body is probably going to hurt a hell of a lot more than a laser shot

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cainetao11
why does YOUR view of what alien weaponry have to be ours? if you spend more time with people other than your imaginary friends, you'll find we tend to have differing tastes.