Why is a good story so hard to come by?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
It's something I've been thinking about this evening...you have games that make a point, but have a shallow way of getting it across like Far Cry 3, and games where the whole point is "lolblood". When I say story driven, I don't mean Uncharted and it's ilk. I don't mean an action movie with a controller. I mean games that keep you hooked because of the story and world there in. The last console game that had this effect on the general population was the Mass Effect series. Why do you think this is so rare? Just recently on handhelds, we've had Virtue's Last Reward and Fire Emblem Awakening, two games that would be much lesser without their writing, yet are still great as a game as well. A great story can drive gameplay and presentation to new heights when done correctly and make experiences people remember. Thoughts, System wars? Is it really so hard to make a story in a video game that dosn't take away the game? Are high budgets on consoles contributing to this? Would you like to see more great stories in games?
Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Neon_Noir
Member since 2013 • 1466 Posts
Because when you can't do good gameplay because of platform limitations, you settle for story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Because when you can't do good gameplay because of platform limitations, you settle for story.Neon_Noir
So what's the excuse for 75% of games out there?
Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Neon_Noir
[QUOTE="Neon_Noir"]Because when you can't do good gameplay because of platform limitations, you settle for story.darkspineslayer
So what's the excuse for 75% of games out there?

They try to have good gameplay and fail?
Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

Because when you can't do good gameplay because of platform limitations, you settle for story.Neon_Noir

Gravity Rush says hai.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Are high budgets on consoles contributing to this?darkspineslayer

It's the main reason, seemingly.

Also, play more PC games.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
The Walking Dead, Dear Esther, Spec Ops: The Line, and To the Moon are on handhelds?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Are high budgets on consoles contributing to this?Cherokee_Jack
^ Also, play more PC games.

Such as?
Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Neon_Noir
Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Story
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
I don't agree with your argument and feel great games can be on any platform. Look at Heavy Rain and Allan Wake. Both fantastic emotional stories on two different platforms that aren't handhelds. Uncharted is another good example and so is Ni No Kuni. Anyways, there are a lot of great story given games on every platform.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
I don't agree with your argument and feel great games can be on any platform. Look at Heavy Rain and Allan Wake. Both fantastic emotional stories on two different platforms that aren't handhelds. Uncharted is another good example and so is Ni No Kuni. Anyways, there are a lot of great story given games on every platform.nightshade869
I see your point too, but my argument isn't exactly that "they don't count" per say, it's that they can't seem to mix the oil with the water in most of them. The gameplay and the story don't have to be competitors. They can work together to create experiences neither could alone. I've changed the topic title to better reflect the intended discussion.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 campzor
Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> StoryNeon_Noir
gameplay and story > Just gameplay or just story.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

The problem with stories in games is that most of them aren't actually /about/ anything. Could you tell me about the themes in Uncharted?

But I have played games with really good stories. As I listed in my earlier post. Though I guess that depends on whether or not you think Dear Esther is a "game."

Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Neon_Noir
[QUOTE="Neon_Noir"]Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Storycampzor

True, but from what we've seen so far those two don't really go well hand in hand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
The problem with stories in games is that most of them aren't actually /about/ anything. Could you tell me about the themes in Uncharted?PannicAtack
No, I couldn't. That's kind of my point actually. Why are games with a good story and a point to make so rare? Uncharted's whole point is being an action flick in game form. Now if I asked someone in this topic to explain the themes in something like Half Life 2, you might get an answer. It's a good example of gameplay and story, apparently.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nightshade869
[QUOTE="nightshade869"]I don't agree with your argument and feel great games can be on any platform. Look at Heavy Rain and Allan Wake. Both fantastic emotional stories on two different platforms that aren't handhelds. Uncharted is another good example and so is Ni No Kuni. Anyways, there are a lot of great story given games on every platform.darkspineslayer
I see your point too, but my argument isn't exactly that "they don't count" per say, it's that they can't seem to mix the oil with the water in most of them. The gameplay and the story don't have to be competitors. They can work together to create experiences neither could alone. I've changed the topic title to better reflect the intended discussion.

I now agree with your title, but still don't think great experiences are only on handhelds. Zero Escape on Vita for example has an incredible story (I platinumed it), but the gameplay controls were horrible in my opinion. I think Valkyria Chronicles 2 and FFVII Crisis Core are better examples :-)
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nightshade869
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]The problem with stories in games is that most of them aren't actually /about/ anything. Could you tell me about the themes in Uncharted?darkspineslayer
No, I couldn't. That's kind of my point actually. Why are games with a good story and a point to make so rare? Uncharted's whole point is being an action flick in game form. Now if I asked someone in this topic to explain the themes in something like Half Life 2, you might get an answer. It's a good example of gameplay and story, apparently.

I actually think Uncharted 3 did a great job at telling a story and having very strong themes in it. I don't want to spoil the game potentially, but there are many themes in U3 and they aren't subtle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="nightshade869"]I don't agree with your argument and feel great games can be on any platform. Look at Heavy Rain and Allan Wake. Both fantastic emotional stories on two different platforms that aren't handhelds. Uncharted is another good example and so is Ni No Kuni. Anyways, there are a lot of great story given games on every platform.nightshade869

I now agree with your title, but still don't think great experiences are only on handhelds. Zero Escape on Vita for example has an incredible story (I platinumed it), but the gameplay controls were horrible in my opinion. I think Valkyria Chronicles 2 and FFVII Crisis Core are better examples :-)

I thought the gameplay in VLR was good despite itself. The lack of precision was never a huge issue, as I always had time to take when I needed to. The controls were probably better on the 3DS version. I found that a fine tipped stylus really helped.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

Because writing and thinking are hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"]The problem with stories in games is that most of them aren't actually /about/ anything. Could you tell me about the themes in Uncharted?nightshade869

I actually think Uncharted 3 did a great job at telling a story and having very strong themes in it. I don't want to spoil the game potentially, but there are many themes in U3 and they aren't subtle.

[/spoiler] yeah, but they kind of drop them near the end. The whole "Why are you doing this" thing never came to a head enough to get an answer from Drake, and we never heard of that whole "if that is your real name" thing again. They could have gone somewhere great but they left the thread cut off near the tip. [/spoiler]
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Games are a very hard medium to do good stories in, they have a level of interactivity and player control that makes it very hard to have a great narrative. The ones with really good stories or narratives are usually something like visual novels or have limited gameplay

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Quick answer: because telling a story or sending a message or making a point relies on control. It requires controlling the audience, telling them what they are and are not allowed to see, it requires drastically restricting their freedom to diverge from what YOU think is important. Meanwhile, games are typically about interactivity and fun. That's generally sort of antithetical to proper storytelling, because the more "interactive" you make it, the more you allow the audience to f*** it up. The more options you give, the more you allow for those options to be f***ing stupid. to put it one way, there are "interactive books" out there, that "choose your own adventure" bull$***. Lots of games try to copy that formula. And in terms of storytelling, it works out about as well. There's a reason why serious novels with literary merit don't allow readers to f*** around with the writer's work. To put it another way, think of a cool movie scene. Maybe it's that Lord of the Rings movie, where Sam had to fight the giant spider. That was a cool scene. Now imagine how cool it would be if Sam was being controlled by the dumbest f***ing person in the audience. Instad of a short and tight action scene, we'd see Sam spend 2 minutes running around the room AVOIDING the fight while looking for health packs, then we'd see Sam get eaten by the spider five f***ing times before he finally defeats the boss and the story can progress. Because that's how so many games tend to work. And yeah...that $*** can very easily stop the progression of a story dead in its tracks. Thirdly, think back to some of your favorite movie scenes. Maybe it's something like Vincent and Jules just hanging out in a diner talking about random irrelevant $***. That stuff is just as important as the scenes in which they shoot dudes in the face. Now translate that to games. The PLAYING isa gonna consist of shooting dudes in the face, the relevant story and character is usually gonna be relegated to cut scenes (because that's too important to let you f*** it up, so the developers put it in a cutscene so that you can't control the outcome). For a movie, this is fine. You're watching the entire time, the entire experience is passive. For games, this is problematic. 90% of the game is devoted to the stuff that matters LEAST from a storytelling perspective (killing bad guy after bad guy) and the parts that actually matter (the plot prgogression and the character development) pisses people off because it's relegated to cut scenes which force them to stop PLAYING the f***ing game. Now, I'm not saying that NO ONE makes good stories, but I think they are pretty f***ing rare. And I think a large part of it comes down to videogaming just not really being a medium which is inherently good for storytelling. You'll see exceptions here and there, sure. But for the most part I think it's ALWAYS gonna generally be the case that..."if you want a good story, stop dicking around with games. Watch a movie or read a book."
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Yakuza and Metal Gear are good if you have the necessary IQ to enjoy them.  ;)

Yakuza 3 and 4 are cheap right now and you can buy the Metal Gear Solid Collection to play Metal Gear Solid 3. I don't tell you to buy MGS4 because that game's mostly fan-service.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#25 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Because you're looking in the wrong medium.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="nightshade869"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] No, I couldn't. That's kind of my point actually. Why are games with a good story and a point to make so rare? Uncharted's whole point is being an action flick in game form. Now if I asked someone in this topic to explain the themes in something like Half Life 2, you might get an answer. It's a good example of gameplay and story, apparently.darkspineslayer

[/spoiler] yeah, but they kind of drop them near the end. The whole "Why are you doing this" thing never came to a head enough to get an answer from Drake, and we never heard of that whole "if that is your real name" thing again. They could have gone somewhere great but they left the thread cut off near the tip. [/spoiler]

you can't even come up with fair criticism to bash on Uncharted 3. Those aren't even plotholes if you had a brain to figure it out but anyway.   :lol:

just imagine. If writing a book and writing a script for a film is hard (the reason why we have so many bad movies) how much more harder would it be when you have to make it interactive? Like you make a game about Looper (2012), the story of the movie is fantastic but what types of gameplay other than a corridor cover shooting would you be able to include within its context? I mean, to make a game fun you need lots of creativity and sometimes that creativity doesn't go well with the story so then what do you do? That's when you need to make some sacrifices... Like fawk  the story and make the character do some super-human stuff even though he has no powers or maybe turn a normal guy into a professional killer. These are the kind of choices you have to make when you want to be unique with your story-telling and gameplay unless you want to keep going with the mold of military background and more shooting for the sake of some consistency even if generic. And even then you would need the knowledge about guns and other military backgrounds to even make a story like the one in the Call of Duty games.

I bet you think that even writing a "decent" story is not that hard but it is. Create likeable characters, interesting plots, intriguing settings, a good script, the scenarios, the editing... These things don't come easy and they are not something just anybody could do. You could write about personal stories like love but how much fun would it be in a game? How much fun would it be to anybody else if is not well written?

The only reason you're talking all this garbage is because you have never tried to write something. Just do it and ask for the opinion of other people about what you wrote and I can assure you that some dreams will be crushed. This sh*t is complex as hell.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Why do you think this is so rare?darkspineslayer

Few developers want to spend time on crafting an intricate narrative when they could be working on visuals, sound, gameplay, level creation, AI etc.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="Neon_Noir"]Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Storycampzor

Would Tetris be any better with a story? Lolno.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

The last console game that had this effect on the general population was the Mass Effect series. darkspineslayer

Yeah, in a bad way.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts
Maybe its because of the popularity of online multiplayer, devs kinda not put much effort on the story and focus more on multiplayer, cod 4 and demons souls has a good balance of story, gameplay and multiplayer...
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 campzor

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="Neon_Noir"]Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> StoryBlbecekBobecek

Would Tetris be any better with a story? Lolno.

im talking non arcade games.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Vaasman

actually because reading is hard, cod generation thinks if they stop 5 mins to read something or watch a cutscene they are wasting time while they could be killing the same npcs for the 100th time so devs hardly even bother, you know, dat low attention span.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

You need to read more books.

Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Neon_Noir

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Krelian-co

actually because reading is hard, cod generation thinks if they stop 5 mins to read something or watch a cutscene they are wasting time while they could be killing the same npcs for the 100th time so devs hardly even bother, you know, dat low attention span.

It's a video game. You play it for the game play. There's books, then there's video games.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Krelian-co

Sadly, this is literally true, I've experienced this exact thing with a few morons I know.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
because most humans play Angry Birds
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sagem28

because most humans play Angry Birdshippiesanta

The sad reality of things.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Because developers make games not books. And (most?) gamers want play games not watching cutscenes/movie

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15580 Posts

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Neon_Noir

It's a video game. You play it for the game play. There's books, then there's video games.

That's like only watching movies for cinematography, or only listening to music for the tune, or only viewing paintings for the technique.

Some people just play for gameplay, sure, but it is a very diverse medium and some games are meant to be taken in as a complete package. You think Journey or TWD would have gotten any GOTY awards if they were judged solely on the merits of their gameplay? I doubt anyone played Amnesia just for it's rudementary puzzle design. What about something like God of War? Would it even be half as recognised if it had small scale fights and T rated violence?

A good story or good art can go a long way towards improving the experience. Gameplay improvement doesn't have to be the only goal developers can strive for while evolving the medium.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Ask Gearbox and what they did with Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Specifically ask this guy:

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

If you are expecting a Citizen Kane story, or an Oscar worthy story you are probably looking in the wrong place. However lots of video games have good stories. Mass Effect, Dead Space, Bioshock, Halo, Gears, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, etc. Most of these series have inspired books, and / or movies so there must be a good story there somewhere. Maybe your just too picky TC?

Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Neon_Noir

[QUOTE="Neon_Noir"][QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Vaasman

That's like only watching movies for cinematography, or only listening to music for the tune, or only viewing paintings for the technique.

Some people just play for gameplay, sure, but it is a very diverse medium and some games are meant to be taken in as a complete package. You think Journey or TWD would have gotten any GOTY awards if they were judged solely on the merits of their gameplay? I doubt anyone played Amnesia just for it's rudementary puzzle design. What about something like God of War? Would it even be half as recognised if it had small scale fights and T rated violence?

A good story or good art can go a long way towards improving the experience. Gameplay improvement doesn't have to be the only goal developers can strive for while evolving the medium.

I'm not saying it's impossible to play games for story or to like the story, I'm saying complaining that a lot people play video games for the gameplay is stupid.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

If you are expecting a Citizen Kane story, or an Oscar worthy story you are probably looking in the wrong place. However lots of video games have good stories. Mass Effect, Dead Space, Bioshock, Halo, Gears, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, etc. Most of these series have inspired books, and / or movies so there must be a good story there somewhere. Maybe your just too picky TC?

coasterguy65
Citizen Kane doesn't even have that much of a story. It's just the way it's presented and open to interpretations makes it interesting and compelling. You know the whole metacriticism of everything - that people can make up any interpretation of anything and try to look for any clues in even the least meaningless things and make it meaningful...
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23941 Posts

Storytelling and interactivity can easily get in the way of one another.

To be honest, I wish most games would drop the story entirely. Sure, a few good stories are nice, but why try when failure is inevitable, especially when said failure ends up getting in the way of the reason people play your game.

Adventure games are the best genre for storytelling. And those games are far more structured than the rest. 

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Are high budgets on consoles contributing to this?darkspineslayer
^ Also, play more PC games.

Such as?

To the moon.
Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#47 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
The Mass Effect games is an excellent example of a perfect blend of action and story. Video game perfection.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

Well here, I can help... Sit right down lemme tell ya a story bout a man named Jed, a poor mountaineer who can barely keep his family fed, and then one day he was shootin at some food, and up from the ground came a bublin crude, oil that is, black gold, Texas T, well, the next thing ya know ole Jed's a million-er and his kin folk said, hey Jed, move away from here, Californy is the place ya ought to be so the loaded up the truck and they moved to Beverly, Hills that is, swimin pools, movie stars. :twisted:

Made me think hmm, anyone ever try and make The Beverly Hillbillies into a game. :o :P

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sagem28

The Mass Effect games is an excellent example of a perfect blend of action and story. Video game perfection.001011000101101

f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
The Mass Effect games is an excellent example of a perfect blend of action and story. Video game perfection.001011000101101
I lol'd.