Why hasnt Nintendo added a harddrive? afraid of piracy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juice_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juice_24
Member since 2007 • 851 Posts

What the heck is the problem is it piracy? are they worried about a wii hack?

Is the game registered to a console? just put a console taggg on it so thatthedownload content isregistered to a single console. so we can have a decent HDD. put a big game on the HDD and sell it for $60-70!

Nickman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nickman71
Member since 2003 • 1002 Posts
Or they could be like Microsoft and sell a 20GB for the outrageously (almost criminally) high price of $100.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
Dunno, but a hardware is inevitable now with Wiiware coming out.
ChrisMun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChrisMun
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts
Piracy? There's already people out there that have a copy of SMG.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
I'd rather they just have a firmware update to allow info stored on SD cards to be able to be loaded directly from the card.
dave003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 dave003
Member since 2005 • 6287 Posts
...nevermind.
Sir_Crocidile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sir_Crocidile
Member since 2004 • 389 Posts

Is the game registered to a console? just put a console taggg on it so thatthedownload content isregistered to a single console. so we can have a decent HDD. put a big game on the HDD and sell it for $60-70!

Juice_24

If I recall from my days back on a site long since shut down (waiting patiently for someone to come up with a region free disc), the downloadable games are indeed coded to only work on the console you purchased them on. You can back them up onto an sd card should you want, but its still only going to work on the one console.

The idea of making games only work on a single console is freaking insane I should add. Why would you want to subjugate yourself to that!? Can you image what that means for used games? What happens if your console breaks down and it gets replaced?

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
SD cards are all it needs. If they were really thinking about a HDD they should have added a small, internal 2-4GB one to it from the beginning. Then it would have a cache and we all know how that can help games.
SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts
you got 512MB of flash memory...look at the bright side, flash memory is faster then a harddrive
Avatar image for theoracleofgame
theoracleofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 theoracleofgame
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
Good idea but Nintendo just is getting lazy. Yes the wii is awesome but we still have to have practical consoles
i_like_pizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 i_like_pizza
Member since 2002 • 4683 Posts

Because SD cards are all it needs, and they are also far more reliable, in the long run. HDDs will break down. And then what will happen. I intend to keep every console I own until I die (hopefull that day comes in another 60-80 years, and I want to try to keep them all working until that day. No HDD will last that long.

-Despacio-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Despacio-
Member since 2002 • 1881 Posts
[QUOTE="Juice_24"]

Sir_Crocidile

If I recall from my days back on a site long since shut down (waiting patiently for someone to come up with a region free disc), the downloadable games are indeed coded to only work on the console you purchased them on. You can back them up onto an sd card should you want, but its still only going to work on the one console.

The idea of making games only work on a single console is freaking insane I should add. Why would you want to subjugate yourself to that!? Can you image what that means for used games? What happens if your console breaks down and it gets replaced?

You send it in to Nintendo for fixing. If they have to replace your old console for a new one they make sure your new one gets all your old data.

What I want to know is what happens when the successor to the Wii comes out. Will we be able to move all are old VC games to the new machine, and how will that work?

SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

Because SD cards are all it needs, and they are also far more reliable, in the long run. HDDs will break down. And then what will happen. I intend to keep every console I own until I die (hopefull that day comes in another 60-80 years, and I want to try to keep them all working until that day. No HDD will last that long.

i_like_pizza

I don't know if you realize thatflash memory devices has a lifespan measured by how many re-writes it can do before it fails? I highly doubt it will last you 60-80 years, hehe.

destef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 destef
Member since 2004 • 435 Posts
I'm surprised the Wii isn't a cartridge based system or minidisc. Harddrive???? :o Whats that????:|
Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
[QUOTE="Sir_Crocidile"][QUOTE="Juice_24"]

-Despacio-

You send it in to Nintendo for fixing. If they have to replace your old console for a new one they make sure your new one gets all your old data.

What I want to know is what happens when the successor to the Wii comes out. Will we be able to move all are old VC games to the new machine, and how will that work?

That's a really good question. Has it ever been adressed?

wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts
[QUOTE="-Despacio-"][QUOTE="Sir_Crocidile"][QUOTE="Juice_24"]

Drizzt13

o_o SD cards.

-Despacio-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Despacio-
Member since 2002 • 1881 Posts
[QUOTE="Drizzt13"][QUOTE="-Despacio-"][QUOTE="Sir_Crocidile"][QUOTE="Juice_24"]

wiretoss

o_o SD cards.

But the downloads are connected to the specific Wii. SD card saves or not. You can't take a Super Metroid VC download saved on a SD card and play it on yoru freinds Wii. So how is the SD card going to recognize the Wii 2 or whatever it's called that we buy in the future as having permission to play the VC downloads from are old Wii?

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
[QUOTE="wiretoss"][QUOTE="Drizzt13"][QUOTE="-Despacio-"][QUOTE="Sir_Crocidile"][QUOTE="Juice_24"]

-Despacio-

o_o SD cards.

But the downloads are connected to the specific Wii. SD card saves or not. You can't take a Super Metroid VC download saved on a SD card and play it on yoru freinds Wii. So how is the SD card going to recognize the Wii 2 or whatever it's called that we buy in the future as having permission to play the VC downloads from are old Wii?

if you sign up for a nintendo online account and link the games to your account name instead of your serial numbers, you will be fine.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

-Despacio-

simple. just register your original wii code as well. they could have a place for you to enter it.