why does ps3 games use blu ray discs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whataguy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 whataguy69
Member since 2009 • 238 Posts

sorry if it's a dumb question. i have no technical knowledge of blu ray other than it displays high def.

anyways, I notice that all ps3 games use blu ray discs. my question is... why does it need blu ray? is there a difference between MW2 on xbox 360 (DVD) vs ps3 (bluray)? couldn't they just use reg dvd's and save blu ray disc for the ps3 games that actually need them?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Blu-Ray has more space on the disc. That and Sony wanted to promote Blu-Ray as the next gen disc of choice.
emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 emorainbo
Member since 2008 • 3067 Posts

Sony pushed Blu-Ray at the start of the gen to be the next disc format. Blu-Ray disks can store much more data than DVDs but are read slower so they usually have to be installed.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

It has more memory. Not always necessary, but it can be in some cases, like FFXIII which fit on a single Blu-Ray but was on 3 DVDs on the 360.

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

The mw2 dev jason after being kicked from IW said that the ps3 version looks slightly better. :D

bluray = uncompressed and more space

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

Sony pushed Blu-Ray at the start of the gen to be the next disc format. Blu-Ray disks can store much more data than DVDs but are read slower so they usually have to be installed.

emorainbo
They dont usauly have to be installed. At first many did but its been a long time since Ive pl;ayed a game which stills lots of room for an install.
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Why would you WANT it to be on DVDs? :S I don't get it. How is this is a bad thing? It's called an upgrade. Technology is moving forward, try to keep up.   Guess which one is the PS3 disc and which one is the 360/Wii disc? Don't you just love scratches.
emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 emorainbo

[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

Respawn-d

They dont usauly have to be installed. At first many did but its been a long time since Ive pl;ayed a game which stills lots of room for an install.

Well the last game I bought, Red Dead Redemption, had a 531 MB install.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SpruceCaboose

emorainbo
Blu-Ray actually reads faster toe to toe.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

Why would you WANT it to be on DVDs? :S I don't get it. How is this is a bad thing? It's called an upgrade. Technology is moving forward, try to keep up.   Guess which one is the PS3 disc and which one is the 360/Wii disc? Don't you just love scratches.Messiahbolical-

That's just negligence. I've never had a 360/PC game look that bad, and I've owned hundreds.

emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emorainbo

[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

SpruceCaboose

Then why did Rockstar make me install 5 gigs just to plat GTAIV??? :evil:

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tempest91

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="emorainbo"]

emorainbo

Because they are lazy devs...

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

To promote the format.

THat's really the only reason

emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 emorainbo

That's just negligence. I've never had a 360/PC game look that bad, and I've owned hundreds.

tempest91

Murphy's Law man, one day you're gonna accidentally use the disc as a coaster or frisbee or something. Also notice the circular scratch onthe DVD disc, that usually means the console itself did the damage, there isnt much you can do to prevent that.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="emorainbo"]

emorainbo

Because the PS3 has a slow 2x BD drive.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tempest91

[QUOTE="tempest91"]

emorainbo

Murphy's Law man, one day you're gonna accidentally use the disc as a coaster or frisbee or something. Also notice the circular scratch onthe DVD disc, that usually means the console itself did the damage, there isnt much you can do to prevent that.

Well, you could not juggle the 360 with the disc in there, that might prevent it.

emorainbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 emorainbo

[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Blu-Ray actually reads faster toe to toe.SpruceCaboose

??? You know what screw this technical jargon! Im going to bed!!!

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

It holds more space.

It doesnt scratch.

Higher bandwith.

BR CLV and DVD is CAV. I think it basically means that if there are more layers on the disc, the DVD takes a performance hit, bluray does not.

In reality the xbox 360's drive is only 8x since all games are on Dual layered discs. Im not sure so check it up on google!

In the end both the 360's drive and ps3's BR drive are about equal in read speed since the BR drive is only 2x.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
Blu-Ray disck are way mor durable than regular dvd, they have more space, and have more quality. But SONY just wanted to use them to pudh the Blu-Ray market
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="emorainbo"] Then why did Rockstar make me install 5 gigs just to plat GTAIV??? :evil:

emorainbo

if you consider the term '2X' technical jargon then yeah... id go to bed
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

sorry if it's a dumb question. i have no technical knowledge of blu ray other than it displays high def.

anyways, I notice that all ps3 games use blu ray discs. my question is... why does it need blu ray? is there a difference between MW2 on xbox 360 (DVD) vs ps3 (bluray)? couldn't they just use reg dvd's and save blu ray disc for the ps3 games that actually need them?

whataguy69

1-Audio is recorded uncompressed in Blu-Ray disc.

2-Full Motion cinematics can be handled at very high resolutions -up to 1080p- in Blu-Ray disc due the high capacity.

3-Blu-Ray disc makes any attempt to piracy PS3 games even harder -even if isn't the main reason to the PS3 immunity to piracy-.

4-Sony is one of the the Blu-Ray consortium founders, so the success of the format gives earns in terms of royalties to Sony.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]Why would you WANT it to be on DVDs? :S I don't get it. How is this is a bad thing? It's called an upgrade. Technology is moving forward, try to keep up. Guess which one is the PS3 disc and which one is the 360/Wii disc? Don't you just love scratches.tempest91

It's a well known fact that blurays have an extra scratch resistant layer that DVD's don't have. I bought a PS2 gae recently and it already has some light marks as opposed to my COD 4 disk that I bought 3 years ago doesn't have a mark.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
I'm glad they do that since Blu-rays are much harder to scratch.
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts
Because sony do what nintendon't!
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#25 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

It has more memory. Not always necessary, but it can be in some cases, like FFXIII which fit on a single Blu-Ray but was on 3 DVDs on the 360.

oldkingallant
The 360 version received massive amount of compression too.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts
as far as i know using blu-ray for PS3 games is mandetory. even if a dev doesnt need to space and would prefer to use the 8X speed DVD in the PS3s drive.....tough. they must use blu-ray.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts
[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Because the PS3 has a slow 2x BD drive.Vinegar_Strokes

The original statement is confusing in its own right...2x what? 2x slower? 2x faster? 2x speed is normal constant, as, 1x would be half?
gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

Why would you WANT it to be on DVDs? :S I don't get it. How is this is a bad thing? It's called an upgrade. Technology is moving forward, try to keep up.   Guess which one is the PS3 disc and which one is the 360/Wii disc? Don't you just love scratches.Messiahbolical-

This is the whole reason I love Blu-ray. I've bought probably 30 used ps3 games in my gaming career and not one had a single scratch. Hell, I even bought a few from Blockbuster that were, at one point rentals and still not a single scratch

readingfc_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 readingfc_1
Member since 2004 • 2548 Posts

[QUOTE="tempest91"]

emorainbo

Look after your stuff and not leave your discs in places that they may have coffee mugs put on top of them?
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
[QUOTE="emorainbo"]

[QUOTE="tempest91"]

readingfc_1

Look after your stuff and not leave your discs in places that they may have coffee mugs put on top of them?

don't put them inside a console either
fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts

To promote the format.

treedoor
also to increase load time, and to have forced DL's before you can play a game. Or in between each chapter like MGS4. Yup.. blu-ray really helps gaming.. None of my games are scratched, even my old PS1 games, xbox games, 360 games, ps3 games.. I buy games off ebay regularly. Any moron can scratch any disk, including blu-ray. Scratches are user error.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Why not?

Too add to what others have said, doesn't BR make it economically difficult to pirate PS3 games (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Domobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Domobomb
Member since 2004 • 1914 Posts

so they can charge an extra $10 per game.... what is Xbox's excuse?

agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts

Why not?

Too add to what others have said, doesn't BR make it economically difficult to pirate PS3 games (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Gxgear

Economy have nothing to do with that.PS3 isnt pirated because of it anti-piracy system...

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"][QUOTE="emorainbo"] ??? You know what screw this technical jargon! Im going to bed!!!

samuraiguns

The original statement is confusing in its own right...2x what? 2x slower? 2x faster? 2x speed is normal constant, as, 1x would be half?

Yeah I agree, it's pretty misleading since the "2X" or "4X" or whatever is relative to a base speed that's different depending on the format. So 2X for Blu-Ray is different than 2X for DVD, which is different than 2X for CD, and so on. And there's also two speeds to be concerned with: transfer speed, which is a function of how "packed" the data is on the disc as well as how fast it spins(angular velocity), and seek time, which is really only a function of how fast it spins.

With Blu-Ray transfer speeds aren't bad (since the data is tightly packed), but seek times are generally bad since it doesn't spin very fast.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Why not?

agff9

Economy have nothing to do with that.PS3 isnt pirated because of it anti-piracy system...

Reading comprehension...

That was me being fancy instead of saying expensive.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
Nah, it's because none of the hax0rs bother. They go, why? to play littlebitplanet? lol. :)
heybooboo19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 heybooboo19
Member since 2009 • 428 Posts

whataguy69
Streaming, redundant assets, audio, commentaries, etc. Some uses for a BD.
agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
Nah, it's because none of the hax0rs bother. They go, why? to play littlebitplanet? lol. :)fastr
Nope. Because the PS3 is superior ^^
neji122793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 neji122793
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

For the space.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#41 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="Messiahbolical-"]*Images*tempest91

I've actually seen discs like that and they still work.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10614 Posts

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

To promote the format.

fastr

also to increase load time, and to have forced DL's before you can play a game. Or in between each chapter like MGS4. Yup.. blu-ray really helps gaming.. None of my games are scratched, even my old PS1 games, xbox games, 360 games, ps3 games.. I buy games off ebay regularly. Any moron can scratch any disk, including blu-ray. Scratches are user error.

While you're true to an extent, i take it that you haven't seen the blu-ray disk scratch test huh?;)

Also, the blu-ray read laser is also a bit stronger than the 360's as well.