Why does nintendo just buy back rare?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spectravoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spectravoid
Member since 2008 • 556 Posts

it's a win win situation for everyone

Microsoft is able to cash in on whatever value rare has left, nintendo gets back one of its best developers (for a fraction of what they sold it for), rare can make those amazing games again

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts

Because selling them was the right decision. What have they done since they left Nintendo? not much.

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts
u cant get your self out of the tiger's Jaw (Microsoft) Once it gets ya...
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

The people who made RARE what it was aren't working there anymore so all what Nintendo is buying is a name and game propreties.

memphishigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 memphishigh
Member since 2006 • 269 Posts

Because selling them was the right decision. What have they done since they left Nintendo? not much.

web966
This, besides there wouldn't be as great an opportunity for new developers to create IP's for Nintendo
Coolio10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Coolio10
Member since 2004 • 200 Posts

RARE hasn't made amazing games since N64.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
u cant get your self out of the tiger's Jaw (Microsoft) Once it gets ya...malikmmm
*looks at bungie*
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Why would you buy a mediocre developer? All the talent rare had has moved o to other things.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wolverine4262
This is all BS....Rare has already developed around 5 AA titles this generation....name some other single developers that can match that...cant be many...
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 web966

This is all BS....Rare has already developed around 5 AA titles this generation....name some other single developers that can match that...cant be many...wolverine4262

Name a game that they have developed that has been at the level of their N64 classics.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

They're no longer concerned about core gamers. They'll probably buy a couple devs to pump out 5 versions of Wii Fit every year, though.

spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spliffstar12
Member since 2008 • 1281 Posts

Why would you buy a mediocre developer? All the talent rare had has moved o to other things.

goblaa
Banjo and Kazooie Nuts and Bolts: AA PDZ: AAA Kameo: AA Viva Pinata: AA Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise: AA but you will probably say all those games suck without every playing them...
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]This is all BS....Rare has already developed around 5 AA titles this generation....name some other single developers that can match that...cant be many...web966

Name a game that they have developed that has been at the level of their N64 classics.

I'd say the 2 closest are perhaps Viva Pinata and Perfect Dark Zero. If I'm forgetting a better game please remind me and I'm aware of the newest Banjo Kazzooie...
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]This is all BS....Rare has already developed around 5 AA titles this generation....name some other single developers that can match that...cant be many...web966

If those classics were reviewed today, then they wouldn't be quite as classic. I was waiting for the Banjo-Kazooie reviews, but Gamespot never delivered. That game is still good, imo, but it is show its age big time. I prefer the revolutionary game design step of Nuts & Bolts.

And I adore Kameo.

Viva Pinata is also praised.

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 Grinning_Demon
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts

They're no longer concerned about core gamers. They'll probably buy a couple devs to pump out 5 versions of Wii Fit every year, though.

BioShockOwnz
Is that sarcasm or do you have multiple personalities? :lol:
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wolverine4262

i dont think thats a fair task for any dev...no doubt their N64 games were amazing, but thats in comparison to most if not all console devs today....Still, to call the rare of today mediocre or useless is a gross overstatement as they continue to pump out high quality games....
spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spliffstar12
[QUOTE="web966"]

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]This is all BS....Rare has already developed around 5 AA titles this generation....name some other single developers that can match that...cant be many...lebanese_boy

I'd say the 2 closest are perhaps Viva Pinata and Perfect Dark Zero. If I'm forgetting a better game please remind me and I'm aware of the newest Banjo Kazzooie...

id say the new banjo is better then the old ones. the old ones were good for their time but their nothing more then collectathons now.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

Grinning_Demon

What if I told you both?

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts

[QUOTE="malikmmm"]u cant get your self out of the tiger's Jaw (Microsoft) Once it gets ya...wolverine4262
*looks at bungie*

opus i didnt know that bungie became privately-held company after spliting from Microsoft... Thanks for telling me that :)

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grinning_Demon

[QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

BioShockOwnz

What if I told you both?

mindblown

Its like Smeagol and Black Adder rolled into one

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 web966

If those classics were reviewed today, then they wouldn't be quite as classic.

BioShockOwnz

So? When they were released they were incredible. Rare is nowhere near they used to be.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

If those classics were reviewed today, then they wouldn't be quite as classic.

web966

So? When they were released they were incredible. Rare is nowhere near they used to be.

That's all an opinion. You're still holding those older games up as the standard, though, which they aren't. Nuts & Bolts breaks more barriers than a collectathon.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 web966

That's all an opinion. You're still holding those older games up as the standard, though, which they aren't. Nuts & Bolts breaks more barriers than a collectathon.

BioShockOwnz

I hated Nuts & Bolts. I had so much more fun with the original on XBLA.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#24 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

spliffstar12

Banjo and Kazooie Nuts and Bolts: AA PDZ: AAA Kameo: AA Viva Pinata: AA Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise: AA but you will probably say all those games suck without every playing them...

old school rare =

Perfect dark - 9.9

Golden eye - 9.8

banjo kazooie - 9.5

Banjo -tooie - 9.6

Donkey Kong 64 - 9.0

Conkers Bad Fur Day- 9.3

not to mention the old Snes games, which there are no scores available for. Rare back in the day made most of the important titles for nintendo.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

web966

I loved it. I'm glad Gamespot did, too.

spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spliffstar12

[QUOTE="spliffstar12"][QUOTE="goblaa"]

zarshack

old school rare =

Perfect dark - 9.9

Golden eye - 9.8

banjo kazooie - 9.5

Banjo -tooie - 9.6

Donkey Kong 64 - 9.0

Conkers Bad Fur Day- 9.3

not to mention the old Snes games, which there are no scores available for. Rare back in the day made most of the important titles for nintendo.

and those games wouldnt even score a 7 if released today and do those scores somehow take away from the fact that the new rare games scored well?
Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts

we should reassemble the original sonic team from the genesis days while we're at it.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 web966

[QUOTE="web966"]

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

BioShockOwnz

I loved it. I'm glad Gamespot did, too.

Good for you, glad you enjoyed it.

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 efrucht
Member since 2008 • 1596 Posts

What did Rare make that was so amazing?

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grinning_Demon

efrucht
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BioShockOwnz

efrucht

They consistently make "great" games.

Let's not forget avatars, which are superior versions of Miis.

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Grinning_Demon

Let's not forget avatars, which are superior versions of Miis.

BioShockOwnz

They all look like Metrosexuals :lol:

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="spliffstar12"][QUOTE="goblaa"]

zarshack

old school rare =

Perfect dark - 9.9

Golden eye - 9.8

banjo kazooie - 9.5

Banjo -tooie - 9.6

Donkey Kong 64 - 9.0

Conkers Bad Fur Day- 9.3

Yep, they made 6 AAAs on N64 and 1 AAA this gen, what a shame, maybe when they announce Perfect Dark 2, that'll get AAA as well.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 zarshack

[QUOTE="zarshack"]

[QUOTE="spliffstar12"] Banjo and Kazooie Nuts and Bolts: AA PDZ: AAA Kameo: AA Viva Pinata: AA Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise: AA but you will probably say all those games suck without every playing them...spliffstar12

old school rare =

Perfect dark - 9.9

Golden eye - 9.8

banjo kazooie - 9.5

Banjo -tooie - 9.6

Donkey Kong 64 - 9.0

Conkers Bad Fur Day- 9.3

and those games wouldnt even score a 7 if released today and do those scores somehow take away from the fact that the new rare games scored well?

sounds like the arguement raised by cows comparing the KZ2 scores to halo, saying it if came out now it would get a lower score. lol. when did i mention anything about the new games scores? besides the FACT that their older games scored higher. and i own all of those old rare games and they are still very fun to play so that "wouldnt get a 7" is just bullcrap.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Let's not forget avatars, which are superior versions of Miis.

Grinning_Demon

The Miis? I know, they really do. They have Hitler in tights on the Mii Channel.

spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 spliffstar12

[QUOTE="spliffstar12"][QUOTE="zarshack"]

old school rare =

Perfect dark - 9.9

Golden eye - 9.8

banjo kazooie - 9.5

Banjo -tooie - 9.6

Donkey Kong 64 - 9.0

Conkers Bad Fur Day- 9.3

zarshack

sounds like the arguement raised by cows comparing the KZ2 scores to halo, saying it if came out now it would get a lower score. lol. when did i mention anything about the new games scores? besides the FACT that their older games scored higher. and i own all of those old rare games and they are still very fun to play so that "wouldnt get a 7" is just bullcrap.

oh because i dont own them right? the gameplay may be fun but is so outdated do you honestly believe golden eye would score a 9.8? or banjo which is nothing more then an outdated collectathon would score a 9.5?
lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]Let's not forget avatars, which are superior versions of Miis.

Grinning_Demon

Still much bette then the Miis in my opinion.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zarshack

[QUOTE="zarshack"]

[QUOTE="spliffstar12"] and those games wouldnt even score a 7 if released today and do those scores somehow take away from the fact that the new rare games scored well?spliffstar12

oh because i dont own them right? the gameplay may be fun but is so outdated do you honestly believe golden eye would score a 9.8? or banjo which is nothing more then an outdated collectathon would score a 9.5?

they wouldnt get the exact same scores that they did then if they came out now and where compared to everthing else which is currently around. but they arent coming out now, they came out years and years ago. so your arguement against them is purely theoretical in anycase which reeks of fail. You cant denounce the classics. dont even try, these are the games which spawned all the great titles which have come after.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Your thread title should be "Why doesn't Nintendo buy back Rare?"

Just the way your worded it bugged me :oops:

spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 spliffstar12

[QUOTE="spliffstar12"][QUOTE="zarshack"] sounds like the arguement raised by cows comparing the KZ2 scores to halo, saying it if came out now it would get a lower score. lol. when did i mention anything about the new games scores? besides the FACT that their older games scored higher. and i own all of those old rare games and they are still very fun to play so that "wouldnt get a 7" is just bullcrap.

zarshack

they wouldnt get the exact same scores that they did then if they came out now and where compared to everthing else which is currently around. but they arent coming out now, they came out years and years ago. so your arguement against them is purely theoretical in anycase which reeks of fail. You cant denounce the classics. dont even try, these are the games which spawned all the great titles which have come after.

and you cant denounce new rare games because of games they made which arent even deserving of a 7 if were re released today
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mitu123

we should reassemble the original sonic team from the genesis days while we're at it.

Heydanbud92
This as well, Sonic Team is worse than Rare these days.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wolverine4262
Yep, they made 6 AAAs on N64 and 1 AAA this gen, what a shame, maybe when they announce Perfect Dark 2, that'll get AAA as well.mitu123
yeah b/c dev schedules of the N64 era really reflect that of the current generation....oh wait, no they dont....you cant expect any dev to pump out 6 AAAs let alone even 2 or 3...
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 zarshack

and you cant denounce new rare games because of games they made which arent even deserving of a 7 if were re released today = OPINION.

Banjo-Kazooie (N64)9.5 > Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (X360) 8.5

Perfect Dark (N64) 9.9 > Perfect Dark Zero (X360)9.0 =FACT

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mitu123
[QUOTE="mitu123"] Yep, they made 6 AAAs on N64 and 1 AAA this gen, what a shame, maybe when they announce Perfect Dark 2, that'll get AAA as well.wolverine4262
yeah b/c dev schedules of the N64 era really reflect that of the current generation....oh wait, no they dont....you cant expect any dev to pump out 6 AAAs let alone even 2 or 3...

Maybe you're right, but I hope for the best of this new Rare though.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
I dont think we've given rare enough time to prove themselves. (i think at the end of the gen we will be certain) (I think rare has some big games in the works right now)
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wolverine4262

different systems = different standards

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
Microsoft should just face up to embarrassment by closing down Rare already. They're a terrible investment. Rare is a huge company that takes really long time to churn out games that sell badly. They're just hemorrhaging Microsoft's money. When Microsoft been shutting down all their first party games studios like Ensemble, yet kept the money losing Rare, it's obvious they're just trying to save face over their lousy 400+ million investment (much more when adding in Rare's huge monthly overhead costs & expenses since the buyout).
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BioShockOwnz

wolverine4262

Exactly. If Banjo-Kazooie was re-released with current-gen visuals, it wouldn't do as well. We've come a long way.

Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts
If only to buy the rights to the games I'd say it's a good investment. Nintendo makes a AAA game in basically every genre Rare made on the N64. With Nintendo's help they could continue the Rare series of games, and start pumping out AAA game after AAA game.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]

BioShockOwnz

Exactly. If Banjo-Kazooie was re-released with current-gen visuals, it wouldn't do as well. We've come a long way.

If they remade kazooie and tooie in hd with extras added in, I would buy it