Why does everybody hate Doom 3 so much?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Really.

Because fast and action game turned into slow horror game. Is this is the reason why everyone hated Doom 3? Doom 3 is best Doom game ever made. Im not interesting in Doom 4 if it goes back to "speed movement, unlimited ammo, action game". I want horror game, not action speed hack game.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

The only 'horror' element of Doom 3 was the specs required to play it at the time. Beyond that it was a bad Doom 2. Doom 4 won't have to try much to be an improvement and given their track record it won't try at all. Doom 4: space marine kills shit just because, brought to you by ID kings of 'just because'.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I loved Doom 3. Resurrection of Evil was stupendous.

@FreedomFreeLife said:
Im not interesting in Doom 4 if it goes back to "speed movement, unlimited ammo, action game". I want horror game, not action speed hack game.

Good. More copies of the game for me to buy then. Doom has always been about circle-strafing and horde fighting. Not slow-paced action-horror.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Doom 3 sucked.

Lets take fun ass doom and make it this slow, boring corridor crawl with fucking key hunts like it's some ghetto system shock. The encounter design and pacing in that game is atrocious.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Stahp

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Good. More copies of the game for me to buy then.

What?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mikhail said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Good. More copies of the game for me to buy then.

What?

He's being stupid. I thought I'd join in.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Just say action.... you sound ridiculous when you saying Speed Hack action.

Anyway Doom 3 is the only doom game I've played..... it wasnt bad.... could use alil co-op though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I don't know, I didn't mind it, although it was a massive disappointment compared to what came before.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#10 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I love it.

I think people dislike it because: it's dark, has monster closets, constrained areas and there are no battles against dozens of foes

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I liked it.

People hated it because people are casuals.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

When any sequel has huge changes from what its predecessors had people are going to hate on it.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i enjoyed it back at release despite the tall system requirements and the constant need to "to and fro" between flashlight and weapon; fairly recently i bought the bfg edition and enjoyed it at ~120 fps. after this recent completion of the main campaign in the BFG ed., i wondered what to play next. so i played the first expansion. after that, i played the other expansion. after that, doom 3 was all over and the next game i felt like playing was ... doom3.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I too agree, I haven't been able to get into the old doom games (mainly as I feel like the time has past and they are horribly outdated). I like Doom being a slower paced horror game. Maybe it's because we don't get horror games that much anymore, but there were moments in D3 that almost made me crap my pants. I want Doom 4 to be a horror genre FPS. I tried Doom 1 and 2 but they just lack so much now, it's not like when I went and played Final Fantasy 6 in 2013 on my Vita, that game has story and combat still being good in this day, but Doom just feels so ancient compared to Doom 3 in terms of gameplay.

I loved Doom 3, I want more of it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I don't hate Doom 3 at all. I just think that Doom and Doom 2 are a lot more fun.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Considering the year it came out, I give id tons of credit, but it ended up being a ridiculous parody of itself. It's a good game, but nowhere near as good as the prior two, like, not even in the same league. A game like Cube is what 3 should have been, and if 4 is going to play anything like that, then I'm stoked as...hell.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I love Doom 3, however I hate your threads.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#18 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I only have a little experience with Doom 3. I didn't really hate that much.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Doom 3 was good. Just wasn't as good as doom 1 and 2 imo.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Doom 3 wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't what people played Doom for. It took fast, frantic action and turned it into a slow burn.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Only have 2 dislikes about Doom 3 was, light mounted guns available now..in Doom 3's world however..their tech is so advance yet reduce to using a handheld torch light. :p Not even scary..wish devs would stop making games so damn dark that you can't see for anything..then claim that's what makes it scary...its not. Other than that its just another Doom game..go in blast monsters away. :p

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FreedomFreeLife

@jg4xchamp said:

Doom 3 sucked.

Lets take fun ass doom and make it this slow, boring corridor crawl with fucking key hunts like it's some ghetto system shock. The encounter design and pacing in that game is atrocious.

So you prefer this:

You want game that is not scary but what is casual, has unlimited ammo, fast gameplay, no story and just shoot everything you see. Thats what Doom 1 and Doom 2 were. They were like Painkiller and Quake games.

I want horror, dark as possible, scary, hardcore but you want action, casual and easy and bright.

Sad... casual gaming ruins gaming.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

So you prefer this:

You want game that is not scary but what is casual, has unlimited ammo, fast gameplay, no story and just shoot everything you see. Thats what Doom 1 and Doom 2 were. They were like Painkiller and Quake games.

I recall in the full versions of both Doom and Doom II, it's quite easy to run out of ammo. I recall instances of desperation because my marine is down to one more hit and not a medkit or ammo in sight. Doom II added another level of diabolical with the Archvile.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#24 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I liked the game but the flashlight gimmick was a poor choice.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Doom 3 sucked.

So you prefer this:

I want horror, dark as possible, scary, hardcore but you want action, casual and easy and bright.

100% agreed my friend.

Why can't people like @clone01 become real hardcores.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

As a standalone game it's decent. Amazing graphics and atmosphere, solid shooting, pretty linear and relying on jump scares a bit too much. 7/10 at the worst.

As a sequel to Doom 2 it's terrible. Linear, "scary", small corridors, and you always fought tiny amounts of enemies. 5/10, what the hell ID.

It's Doom 3, not some new IP. It had a name to live up to and it missed the mark by a mile.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

So you prefer this:

Painkiller was actually fun as hell.

That being said, I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with more horror based games with a slower gameplay. I just didn't really want Doom 3 to be that kind of game.

There's room for all sorts of games. There's room for darker scarier slower paced games, and there's room for mindless shoot-em-ups. Nothing wrong with liking a certain type of game, but once a franchise is established then it's understandable that people get a little annoyed when the developers stray too far from what made that franchise popular in the first place. Doom 3 wasn't bad, but it didn't really feel that much like a Doom game. I mean, come on, there's no reason that Doom 3 couldn't have been an original property that isn't chained to Doom's baggage. If it had been a new property, then it probably would have been better-received. But it's pretty clear that the only reason it was a Doom game was to capitalize on the previous success of the Doom series. If the developers are gonna exploit fan expectations in order to help sell the game, then it's fair for fans to judge the game harshly when it doesn't live up to those expectations. If the game isn't gonna feel like a Doom game, then why even make it a Doom game in the first place?

And don't say because of the story. Doom 3's story is just about as worthless as the stories in Doom or Doom 2. I'm not really gonna complain about Doom 3's story...I never expected a good story out of a Doom game in the first place, so the lack of a compelling story is fine by me. I'm just saying that the story is so worthless that it's not something that was begging to be told. So there's really no reason that game needed to be tied to the Doom franchise at all, other than for purposes of brand recognition.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10483 Posts

walk into room, lights go out, stuff emerges from dark, rinse and repeat. i don't remember much else. 5/10

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

Define "everyone?" I thought it was a brilliant game and really enjoyed it.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FreedomFreeLife

@MrGeezer said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

So you prefer this:

That being said, I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with more horror based games with a slower gameplay. I just didn't really want Doom 3 to be that kind of game.

There's room for all sorts of games. There's room for darker scarier slower paced games, and there's room for mindless shoot-em-ups. Nothing wrong with liking a certain type of game, but once a franchise is established then it's understandable that people get a little annoyed when the developers stray too far from what made that franchise popular in the first place. Doom 3 wasn't bad, but it didn't really feel that much like a Doom game. I mean, come on, there's no reason that Doom 3 couldn't have been an original property that isn't chained to Doom's baggage. If it had been a new property, then it probably would have been better-received. But it's pretty clear that the only reason it was a Doom game was to capitalize on the previous success of the Doom series. If the developers are gonna exploit fan expectations in order to help sell the game, then it's fair for fans to judge the game harshly when it doesn't live up to those expectations. If the game isn't gonna feel like a Doom game, then why even make it a Doom game in the first place?

And don't say because of the story. Doom 3's story is just about as worthless as the stories in Doom or Doom 2. I'm not really gonna complain about Doom 3's story...I never expected a good story out of a Doom game in the first place, so the lack of a compelling story is fine by me. I'm just saying that the story is so worthless that it's not something that was begging to be told. So there's really no reason that game needed to be tied to the Doom franchise at all, other than for purposes of brand recognition.

You FUCKING NOOB AND CASUAL GAMER.

DOOM - HELL GATE OPENS, DEMON COMES OUT AND TURNS ALL HUMANS INTO ZOMBIE. HOW THIS CAN BE ACTION GAME?

If we used your logic, then Terminator and Terminator 2 movies were PG-13. Also all old classic movies that were violent and had blood are now rated PG-13.

Painkiller was shitty game. Worst shitty game ever. Just large map with random AI enemies. This sucks.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Doom 3 sucked.

So you prefer this:

If you find a slow, mind numbing corridor crawl against a handful of enemies, where there is more than an abundance of ammo with lame key hunts "scary" or "challenging" it's because you are in fact trash at video games. I however do not suffer from sucking at video games enough to be impressed by something as lame as Doom 3.

Doom 2 and Painkiller during their worst segments clown Doom 3.

If I want something genuinely unsettling and deserving of a slow burn approach I'll go to Cryostasis and its broken aspects before I'd give Doom 3 another spin.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56225 Posts

@Wasdie said:

As a standalone game it's decent. Amazing graphics and atmosphere, solid shooting, pretty linear and relying on jump scares a bit too much. 7/10 at the worst.

As a sequel to Doom 2 it's terrible. Linear, "scary", small corridors, and you always fought tiny amounts of enemies. 5/10, what the hell ID.

It's Doom 3, not some new IP. It had a name to live up to and it missed the mark by a mile.

Doom 3 was the first Doom game I play on Xbox and I didn't have a PC at the time. Doom 3 was really good, compare to Dead Space but the only thing I remember everyone hated that game was the flashlight switch to weapons is all I remember. Never bother me with the flashlight switch but the the game had so many Imps and playing it on Xbox at the time had great graphics and I never got the chance to play the 360 HD.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FreedomFreeLife

@davillain- said:

@Wasdie said:

Doom 3 was the first Doom game I play on Xbox and I didn't have a PC at the time. Doom 3 was really good, compare to Dead Space but the only thing I remember everyone hated that game was the flashlight switch to weapons is all I remember. Never bother me with the flashlight switch but the the game had so many Imps and playing it on Xbox at the time had great graphics and I never got the chance to play the 360 HD.

Why complain about flashlight switch? clearly it would be another casual choice when gun and flashlight works toghter. Seperated is better and more realistic. noobs are scared of night

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@davillain- said:

@Wasdie said:

Why complain about flashlight switch? clearly it would be another casual choice when gun and flashlight works toghter. Seperated is better and more realistic. noobs are scared of night

It is illogical not having the ability to shoot with the flashlight on. Maybe restrict aim a bit or limit the weapon to pistol or let the player know they need to find some adhesive to use the light with a heavier gun, i don't know. ......doesn't make sense why the heck would a trained soldier shoot in the dark.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#36 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I love Doom 3. That game is scary as all hell.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

I dont. Doom 3 is a pretty good game. Great even, if you're in the right mood.

Doesn't even come close to capturing the feel and gameplay of the best Doom game ever made: DOOM 64

edit: The right way to play Doom3 is the BFG edition btw. And no, flashlight or shooting was not and still isn't a good idea.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Thunderdrone

Seriously, anyone on the fence should give Doom3 BFG a try. Even the dated, early bump/map look to everything is pulled off quite well in this one (especially considering it started that look). Its very charming and distinct.

Everything looks rock solid and super crystal clear, without "next gen" bullshit wow-effects and crap all over the place.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I still play Doom 3 in small doses since it's still installed on one of my other PCs. But, it's kinda hard to go back to when there are so many more games I rather play. I think Metro Last Light and STALKER: CoP are in the same predicament. I might get to them if there's no other games to play.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I loved it. I regret not getting the remake on the 360. Many scared hours on that one!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Thunderdrone said:

Seriously, anyone on the fence should give Doom3 BFG a try. Even the dated, early bump/map look to everything is pulled off quite well in this one (especially considering it started that look). Its very charming and distinct.

Everything looks rock solid and super crystal clear, without "next gen" bullshit wow-effects and crap all over the place.

what platforms is this available on?

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Thunderdrone

@Heirren said:

@Thunderdrone said:

PC-STEAM/360/PS3

All versions include DOOM, DOOM II, DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, and The Lost Mission.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heirren said:

@Thunderdrone said:

PC-STEAM/360/PS3

All versions include DOOM, DOOM II, DOOM 3, and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, and The Lost Mission.

I'll check it out, I think. ...I remember people saying this release was junk, but then you think to yourself what most of the community prefers and it is not so great.

...I'd get the pc release for my laptop but my disc drive is busted and I plan on taking it apart, cleaning it, and giving it to a relative-------just don't know how to re install windows lol.

I agree with you Doom 3 still looks good. Great use of color and did not rely on every "effect" in the book.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@MrGeezer said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

So you prefer this:

You FUCKING NOOB AND CASUAL GAMER.

DOOM - HELL GATE OPENS, DEMON COMES OUT AND TURNS ALL HUMANS INTO ZOMBIE. HOW THIS CAN BE ACTION GAME?

If we used your logic, then Terminator and Terminator 2 movies were PG-13. Also all old classic movies that were violent and had blood are now rated PG-13.

Painkiller was shitty game. Worst shitty game ever. Just large map with random AI enemies. This sucks.

Please,stop posting already

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#45 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

FreedomFreeLife is either a sniper alt or is trying to emulate him.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

All it is, is a tech demo and shitted on everything that made the previous games fun.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

At the time I hated the game with a passion never even got close to finishing it, they stripped everything that was fun in the series and turned it into a boring corridor shooter with damn annoying torch mechanics.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I was confused about the hate as well and this is coming from someone who grew up on doom. The only problem I really had was the stupid flashlight thing. Seriously who sat in the room and said "you know what would be really fun CONSTANTLY switching between your gun and a flashlight."

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

it was nothing more than a tech like most of sony's exclusives and all crytek games

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@davillain- said:

@Wasdie said:

Unrealistic? Real life begs to differ.

Cheap. Even civilians own them and slap them on their rifles for fun.