Why do you think the wii is selling so good?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for I_love_tomatoes
I_love_tomatoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 I_love_tomatoes
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts
I  really think its because of the price... I mean ya it has a couple of good games... ( i want one by the way)..... but why do you think its selling so good.... think about it .... if a casual walks into the store and sees the new controller. hes probablly like wo! and all that. then he sees how cheap it is... bam they buy it..... what do you think
dcm06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 dcm06
Member since 2005 • 2411 Posts
i really like the games. i wish i never did trade my brother my wii for his 360.
GameCrazed85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GameCrazed85
Member since 2006 • 1013 Posts

Working in retail my customers tell me it is...

1. The price

2. Women want to play it

3. It has a lot of child friendly games(that adults find fun as well)

Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
its cheap and its a great console for kids....
Zaistev_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zaistev_basic
Member since 2002 • 2975 Posts
1) Price 2) Product Differential 3) Positive Media and Consumer Reaction 4) Broad Target Market (Casuals and Hardcore, plus non-gamers)
Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
"selling well" not "selling good" :D
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shsonline
Member since 2005 • 2937 Posts
It's cheap and has a bit of hype due to its quote-unquote revolutionary interface.
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
-price -great controller -lots of fun games
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Cheap fun.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
It's 'well'....not 'good'.

Anyways, it's a mix of things. Price is certainly a factor. It's not that it's cheap per say, it's that the competition is so exspensive.

Also, games. Wii has only been out 4 months and has 3 killer apps and a slew of AA and A titles.

Also there is the media hype. Being on south park, the colbert report, opera, dr. phil, conan, the news and so on really grab people's attention.

And lastly is the wiimote. you would be insane to overlook that as a selling point.

IMHO, I feel the media hype is the biggest reason. Nintendo has done a lot of advertising.
Avatar image for I_love_tomatoes
I_love_tomatoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 I_love_tomatoes
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts
"selling well" not "selling good" :DViviath
w.e man... lol ... please im tired leave me alone! ahhhh
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
casuals want to try it because wii controls are really intutive and they dont have to master a clunky controller. Hardcore's want it because any hardcore worth his/ her salt wouldn't want to deny himself/herself a unique gaming experience. Price is NOT the deciding factor, and neither is KIDDIE games. If that was the case, then gamecube would have done a lot better than the wii, since at least the gamecube was a graphical peer to the ps2 and xbox.
Fat_jonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fat_jonny
Member since 2006 • 334 Posts
The wii is like a Hoe cheap and good for quick fun
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
It's selling well mainly because it offers something new at a lower cost.
steve8198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 steve8198
Member since 2003 • 531 Posts
2 things wii-mote and price thats all thats all.
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
Because is teh awesomeness :o!
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 goblaa
It's selling well mainly because it offers something new at a lower cost.TrueReligion_

Hey TrueReligion, I see you have Hotel Dusk in your avvy and sig. I was thinking of getting it. Would you suggest it or should I save my money for something else?
Dj_Excalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dj_Excalibur
Member since 2005 • 319 Posts
At least 10 people asked me about a Wii then I say... "No, but we got PS3s " :P The majority of people who ask are usually in groups, or a couple, and look like they're in early 20s. So I'm guessing they want something affordable with emphasis on quick enjoyment that can be played at any time of the day without long-term commitment.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
1. New way to play games. 2. Who doesn't want to cut food with hot Cooking Mama action? 3. Price.
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
Price
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TrueReligion_

[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"]It's selling well mainly because it offers something new at a lower cost.goblaa

Hey TrueReligion, I see you have Hotel Dusk in your avvy and sig. I was thinking of getting it. Would you suggest it or should I save my money for something else?

It's one of the best games I've ever played. You'd be missing out if you neglected it.

Here's my review of it

FrankHurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FrankHurt
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts
I bought the Wii because I thought it was going to be a complete bust the way the other two consoles were going; and if it didn't sell well, it would be a crazy collector item that my kids or grandkids could play with. (And eventually sell it for millions due to its rarity.)

BOY WAS I WRONG!!!:lol:
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#23 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts
Because morons like trash like Wii Play.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
If the Wii was $400 it would not be selling like crack like it is right now. It's cheap and it's got some quick fun and family oriented games.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

.... think about it .... if a casual walks into the store and sees the new controller. hes probablly like wo! and all that. then he sees how cheap it is... bam they buy it..... what do you thinkI_love_tomatoes

No one walks into a store and sees a Wii or any peripheral made for it (maybe a classic controller). They are never in stock. Its word of mouth, mostly.

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TrueReligion_
Because morons like trash like Wii Play.Gamer46
Doing some more trolling, I see...
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gamer46
[QUOTE="Dj_Excalibur"]At least 10 people asked me about a Wii then I say... "No, but we got PS3s " :P The majority of people who ask are usually in groups, or a couple, and look like they're in early 20s. So I'm guessing they want something affordable with emphasis on quick enjoyment that can be played at any time of the day without long-term commitment.

Yup, it's nice that this is the way the console market is going in the future. Hopefully companies will shift their bigger games to PCs since so we don't lose them completely. I don't want to play future iterations of MGS, Gears of War and Halo on underpowered consoles based on stupid gimmicks.
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gamer46
[QUOTE="Gamer46"]Because morons like trash like Wii Play.TrueReligion_

So telling the truth is trolling now?  Sheep. :lol:
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TrueReligion_
[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"]Because morons like trash like Wii Play.Gamer46

So telling the truth is trolling now?  Sheep. :lol:

Pathetic.
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gamer46
[QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"]Because morons like trash like Wii Play.TrueReligion_

So telling the truth is trolling now? Sheep. :lol:

Pathetic.

What's pathetic is trash like Wii Play being more popular than a great game like Gears of War, or Virtua Fighter 5.  You're a Nintendo fanboy though, so I wouldn't expect you to understand.  Enjoy your gimmicky kid games.
NRGCDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NRGCDS
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts

The Price and the controller.  The wii change the way wii play games.

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TrueReligion_
[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"]Because morons like trash like Wii Play.Gamer46

Pathetic.

What's pathetic is trash like Wii Play being more popular than a great game like Gears of War, or Virtua Fighter 5.  You're a Nintendo fanboy though, so I wouldn't expect you to understand.  Enjoy your gimmicky kid games.

It's popular because it's included with every Wii. :| But, ignorance is bliss, and there is no point in arguing with a stubborn/blind fanboy like yourself.
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gamer46
[QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"]Because morons like trash like Wii Play.TrueReligion_

Pathetic.

What's pathetic is trash like Wii Play being more popular than a great game like Gears of War, or Virtua Fighter 5. You're a Nintendo fanboy though, so I wouldn't expect you to understand. Enjoy your gimmicky kid games.

It's popular because it's included with every Wii. :| But, ignorance is bliss, and there is no point in arguing with a stubborn/blind fanboy like yourself.

I'm no fanboy.  I'm a fan of good games, something the Wii lacks unless you want mini-game compilations.  And Wii Play is not included with the system, and there is no reason it should've sold better than every game except Crackdown last month.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 goblaa
[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"]Because morons like trash like Wii Play.Gamer46

Pathetic.

What's pathetic is trash like Wii Play being more popular than a great game like Gears of War, or Virtua Fighter 5. You're a Nintendo fanboy though, so I wouldn't expect you to understand. Enjoy your gimmicky kid games.

I'm no fanboy. I'm a fan of good games, something the Wii lacks unless you want mini-game compilations. And Wii Play is not included with the system, and there is no reason it should've sold better than every game except Crackdown last month.

No, there's a perfectly good reason it sold so well. It's packaged with a wiimote....which are about as rare as an albino dodo bird.
miss_kitt3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 miss_kitt3n
Member since 2006 • 2717 Posts
Cause people are poor.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gromit007

[QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"]Because morons like trash like Wii Play.TrueReligion_

Pathetic.

Are you in NA. If so, then WiiSports comes with the Wii, not Play. If not...party on:)

I want some opinions on this thought. If flOw was sixaxis enabled, would it not be brilliant to put it in stores packaged with a free sixasis? Its a cheap game like WiiPlay which comes with a remote. So.....

I hate WiiPlay and like flOw. Who lost here? Sony. Again.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 goblaa

[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="TrueReligion_"][QUOTE="Gamer46"]Because morons like trash like Wii Play.gromit007

Pathetic.

Are you in NA. If so, then WiiSports comes with the Wii, not Play. If not...party on:)

I want some opinions on this thought. If flOw was sixaxis enabled, would it not be brilliant to put it in stores packaged with a free sixasis? Its a cheap game like WiiPlay which comes with a remote. So.....

I hate WiiPlay and like flOw. Who lost here? Sony. Again.

I think having a game like flow come packaged in with a controller is not a bad idea. MS should try something similer.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
It's $250. It says Nintendo on it. And Oprah gave her audience a bunch of them. 
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
price controller marketed to casuals and non gamers
Dj_Excalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dj_Excalibur
Member since 2005 • 319 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamer46"][QUOTE="Dj_Excalibur"]At least 10 people asked me about a Wii then I say... "No, but we got PS3s " :P The majority of people who ask are usually in groups, or a couple, and look like they're in early 20s. So I'm guessing they want something affordable with emphasis on quick enjoyment that can be played at any time of the day without long-term commitment.

Yup, it's nice that this is the way the console market is going in the future. Hopefully companies will shift their bigger games to PCs since so we don't lose them completely. I don't want to play future iterations of MGS, Gears of War and Halo on underpowered consoles based on stupid gimmicks.

Take your post-apocalyptic game theories elsewhere. These people don't have 80+ hours to spend on a game, nor do they have the time to get a gamer score over to get over 3000. They're too busy with jobs, college, SATs, mid-terms, finals, business meetings, families. They have lives outside of video games so they simply can't afford or invest time and money into other consoles. The 360 still has a strong userbase and is technically still dominating the market. If developers wish to dummy down just to make more money and bend over backwards for the mass market then they aren't a very dedicated company.
HDShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 HDShadow
Member since 2005 • 2241 Posts
What ever happened to people saying it wasn't gonna sell because people would've thought it was too cheap?
soulsofblayck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 soulsofblayck
Member since 2006 • 1591 Posts
Because it's cheap and trendy. People who don't like videogames buy it. Why? Well, because its trendy and its advertised on some shows to make it look cool. Also Nintendo finally caught onto the business plan companies like Sony and MS already do-undersupplying the market with product. By having PURPOSELY undersupplied the market, it creates more buzz and gives the image of a really hot item whcih makes these people want to buy it even more. How hard is it to make new Gamecubes? There you go.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gromit007

Because it's cheap and trendy. People who don't like videogames buy it. Why? Well, because its trendy and its advertised on some shows to make it look cool. Also Nintendo finally caught onto the business plan companies like Sony and MS already do-undersupplying the market with product. By having PURPOSELY undersupplied the market, it creates more buzz and gives the image of a really hot item whcih makes these people want to buy it even more. How hard is it to make new Gamecubes? There you go.soulsofblayck

Reality check.

If I take you for your word, Sony is holding back stock, right? Ummmmm......Sony is on track to ship 2 million PS3s to North America by the end of March

(LINK http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070228/tc_nm/sony_playstation3_dc_1 ). Fact.

Funny thing is, they are on track to sell maybe 1.4 million at best by then.

Silchas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Silchas
Member since 2006 • 17050 Posts
Because of the badass gameplay.
youngtongue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 youngtongue
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts
Number one reason? Because its fun.  Don't you pepole get it? My freaking mother thinks its fun.  non gamers think the wii is fun + cheaper price= buy a whole lot.  Its the non-gamers is what is spurring the huge sales.  A) they want to get the wii for themselves because for them its fun or B) they are getting the wii for a casual gamer because they see the wii as better then the other systems because its more original.
joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

Price is the major selling point.  Its also very family friendly.  It really taps into a new base of players (such as women) who never bothered to play games before.  The Wiimote also makes picking up games and playing them so much more simple then trying to learn 20 button combinations.   Hardcore games don't care,  but people who don't play games that much don't want to spend an hour trying to learn a game.  The Wiimote is so intuitive that picking up most of the contolls is very simple.  

As far as playing with friends its easily the best console.  Looking like an iddiot while waving the wiimote around is so much fun if you have a few of your closest buds there. 

I do wish though nintendo had gone with better graphics.  Thats one thing I keep going back to with the Wii.  I think it would have been the perfect console had it shipped with 360/PS3 graphics.  I realize this then destorys the price advantage.  I guess you can't have your cake and eat it to!

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
People like Conan O'Brien and Stephen Colbert helped out, too.
Avatar image for machitocaliente
machitocaliente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 machitocaliente
Member since 2007 • 832 Posts
its not the price . 360 cost only 50$ more, its the fact that there is nothing like it.
MgunHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 MgunHunter
Member since 2004 • 504 Posts
It's 'well'....not 'good'.

Anyways, it's a mix of things. Price is certainly a factor. It's not that it's cheap per say, it's that the competition is so exspensive.

Also, games. Wii has only been out 4 months and has 3 killer apps and a slew of AA and A titles.

Also there is the media hype. Being on south park, the colbert report, opera, dr. phil, conan, the news and so on really grab people's attention.

And lastly is the wiimote. you would be insane to overlook that as a selling point.

IMHO, I feel the media hype is the biggest reason. Nintendo has done a lot of advertising.
goblaa

Anyway, not 'anyways!' =P

The Wii is doing so well since it received a lot of hype from the media, and "casuals" are going crazy for it. Seriously, there was a girl at my school who bought the Wii and hardly knew what a video game was.