Why do we continue to pretend Smash Bro is top tier?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22871 Posts

Ive always been suspect of Smash Bro. I played it a ton on GameCube, enjoyed it mostly but never could understand why this game is so universally loved...

I didn't buy on wii, but I did just use my 25 dollars in Nintendo coins on the new smash and I've been playing it for a couple days now.... What in gods name am I missing?

There are aspects of the game that I get... Lots of fighters, many with nostalgic value and lots of fan service in the locals and scenarios... Lots of game modes... I get it, but moment to moment?

How is this game your must have? What does this game do that makes you excited for it? It feels like a game that plays great at parties and is just kind of mundane on your own... It felt the same on GameCube.

Can someone explain the high reviews and excitement? What makes this game special, because to me you can polish a game to high heaven, add in a million modes and collectable, but if it rests on this type of mundane moment to moment gameplay, what's the point?

Super smash as a franchise at its best is like a 7 to me.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Have a few friends over for a game night with it and you will understand. Smash Bros is local co-op and it's finest.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44238 Posts

One word... Nintendont. :P

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think Mojito has it covered. The game itself is not all that, but it is definitely another ballgame when friends are over with beers.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator

@mojito1988: yeah, but see is that enough for the reviews and praise... The sales! This game is only enjoyed at its best when other people are involved?

If you want to play it solo be ready to be bored... 9/10...?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

SSB and Pokémon are two gaming phenomenons that I don't get at all. But to each its own.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56337 Posts

Never consider Smash Bros top tier among fighting games, but it is unique in a way cause it works with Nintendo. A huge crossover of some insanely iconic Nintendo video game characters in a fighting/party game which actually really is good fighting mechanics. You don't have to love it, but you're pretty dense if you don't understand why people do. I would've preferred Power Stone over Smash, but Smash will have to do. Capcom does nothing with their fighting game IPs except with Street Fighter and that's sad.

Not everyone really likes Smash Bros or fighting games in general mind you. Smash Bros. series, it's a system seller for sure. I have Ultimate and I think it's fun, but yeah, if you were never really that interested in playing Smash Bros, this won't really change your mind about it. It's not something I would recommend that much to the type of people. It also feels like there's less to do compared to even 4, which had much less content compared to Brawl and earlier. Don't get me wrong, still has more things to do compared to most of the traditional fighters nowadays, but yeah, as if it didn't look that obvious from the reveal, this feels like it's appealing more to the fans compared to grabbing much attention from anyone else aside from the roster. Also, the game is not a big change from 4. Not a big deal imo, but compared to how every entry was up til Brawl, where they vastly differed from one another and felt like a huge sequel in most areas, this one doesn't do the same. I play solo all the time and never get bored.

So while overall, fun to me, this is mostly hype from fans of the series. You won't be missing much, (if you even thought you would in the first place. lol) just a few new characters and that this is the most active Smash community due to being the latest game. Nothing that big and new to truly grab your attention if you didn't care much about it before.

And finally, to have a Switch and not get this game is crazy to me. Why buy a Switch if you aren't gonna play Nintendo's offering in the first place?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44448 Posts

Aside from online I play a lot of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate solo myself and have a great time with it. ?‍♂️

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45392 Posts

I would've agreed with you prior to Ultimate, but now that Ultimate is out and has a decent online, it's really fun.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34731 Posts
@TheEroica said:

@mojito1988: yeah, but see is that enough for the reviews and praise... The sales! This game is only enjoyed at its best when other people are involved?

If you want to play it solo be ready to be bored... 9/10...?

I think I recommended to you earlier to not get the game unless you have a bunch of friends to play it with.. Now you're here with the game purchased, complaining it's boring solo. :P

Yeah, Smash Bros. is not the best when playing solo. I believe that goes for most fighting games, really. Though I think Ultimate is the most fun Smash Bros. to play solo yet. I've played it a lot solo and have had a lot of fun with it. But as others have said, it's meant to be played locally with friends. And this is where the game shines, it's probably a 9/10 to me. A crapload of characters and stages to try out, very solid gameplay, huge amount of options and modes. Can be played casually just as well as seriously. It's a really good game man. I have no problem seeing why some people don't like it though.

The only big complaint I have with the game would be the craptastic online they still haven't fixed. The online mode could make the game more fun for those who can't play locally with friends, but not with the amount of lag there is. There's also no way to play 2vs2 team battles online, which is very inconvenient for me and my friends. You can play online with 2 people on the same Switch against random people, but not against another team of 2 people on another Switch. It makes no fucking sense.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Those threads are so goddamn stupid.

>I’ve always been a suspect

>What is so great about these games?

So you’ve never even been willing to actually give this game a chance and only played it briefly. You never bothered getting into the intricacies and analyze what makes it stand out from other game. You played it nonetheless but didn’t find it great. How the hell is us telling you what makes it great supposed to change or do anything to you?

@TheEroica said:

Can someone explain the high reviews and excitement? What makes this game special, because to me you can polish a game to high heaven, add in a million modes and collectable

So they can make the game as good as possible. Give you a boatload of content but you still don't get why it is top-tier. Really?

Stupid thread.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot for the first few weeks it was out but after unlocking the characters there’s not much left to do. It definitely is great for a mash up fan service game that’ll play on your nostalgia and all of your favorite Nintendo characters and franchises. It’s also a lot of fun with local multiplayer with friends. But yeh if you’re looking for a lot of content, single player stuff, story stuff you aren’t gonna find that here.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44238 Posts

TC, keep your head on a swivel, you've upset the sheep.....

They are meaner than they look. lol :P

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990
@jcrame10 said:

I enjoyed it a lot for the first few weeks it was out but after unlocking the characters there’s not much left to do. It definitely is great for a mash up fan service game that’ll play on your nostalgia and all of your favorite Nintendo characters and franchises. It’s also a lot of fun with local multiplayer with friends. But yeh if you’re looking for a lot of content, single player stuff, story stuff you aren’t gonna find that here.

Really now?

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Sheep overhype anything and everything. I still got idiots telling me BoTW has amazing chemisty and physics systems not realizing the cooking just uses canned animations and games have allowed users to use world objects like boulders to kill enemies for decades now.

Sheep live in a Nintendo Echo chamber so while the rest of the world moves on and progresses, they're left shilling for last gen mediocrity every gen.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990
@Rockman999 said:

Sheep overhype anything and everything. I still got idiots telling me BoTW has amazing chemisty and physics systems not realizing the cooking just uses canned animations and games have allowed users to use world objects like boulders to kill enemies for decades now.

Sheep live in a Nintendo Echo chamber so while the rest of the world moves on and progresses, they're left shilling for last gen mediocrity every gen.

God forbid Nintendo favors gameplay and content over cinematics, Hollywood voice actors and poorly paced and directed plots.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Litchie
@Rockman999 said:

Yes, because the cooking animations and boulders being able to kill enemies is the only reason why BotW gets praise.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Litchie
@SecretPolice said:

TC, keep your head on a swivel, you've upset the sheep.....

They are meaner than they look. lol :P

It's not like we're Sony fanboys. I don't see any angry sheep so far.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#19 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Smash is the only game Ive seen coworkers bring their systems to work and play during lunch breaks. Though granted, it is not for everyone. If you weren't into the past games, not much reason to be interested in this one.

I could say the same about Sony's exclusives. They just aren't for me and that's okay. Not every game is for everyone.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

Thats fine that its not for you... but Smash is a huge name in the FGC. Draws a ton of competitors/ views every year at EVO Despite the sham grand finals last year... there is a huge competitive scene for this game.

I prefer other fighters... but these types of games may seem like the same every release, however even small tweaks can mean big changes. A balance patch can feel like a brand new game if you are familar with the mechanics. There is a lot going on here, and there is still a huge demand for good fighters.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Its Nintendo. Thats all you need to know. Release this exact game on steam with different characters and its a 7.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 enzyme36
@DocSanchez said:

Its Nintendo. Thats all you need to know. Release this exact game on steam with different characters and its a 7.

Whaaa.... with different characters? Then its not smash bros bro

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enzyme36

... and these guys seem to love it lol

Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator

@svaubel said:

Smash is the only game Ive seen coworkers bring their systems to work and play during lunch breaks.

That would be me. It's a nice relaxing game to play during breaks and leaving work to catch the bus/train. It's one of the best thing about Switch, it's Portability makes it easier for me to play in the go and SSB Ultimate is so addictive.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@enzyme36: my point precisely. Its not the game you think is 10/10. Its the characters and tradition.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Juub1990

@DocSanchez: lol. Tell him what he thinks.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59262 Posts

Having went a virgin with the recent entry, I'm, really not getting it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator

@davillain-: great post... I actually can't believe I bought the game. I have very little interest in Pokémon, smash and Mario kart... Three flagship games that do very little for me.

What I'd love to see if Nintendo taking a break from these three series to develop the myriad franchises they've left in the closet for years.... I'd take a new punch out over smash any day. A new Mario rpg? Yep... How about deals with third party developers to bring back franchises that were celebrated on old Nintendo consoles like Actraiser or a new Castlevania offering?

Games like Splatoon peak my interest. New IP away from the norms I've become a little tired of or never found compelling...

With smash, I feel like I'll pick it up to unlock a few new fighters every once in a while, but I'm kicking myself for not spending my Nintendo coins on Mark of the Ninja or something that would've grabbed my interest a little more.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheEroica  Moderator

@SecretPolice: haha... Great gif.

I love Nintendo... In fact I think they're the best thing about gaming at the moment. The switch is a total game changer and my ps4 would have a layer of dust on it if it weren't for rdr2...

I'm just not gonna pretend a game is good because it's exclusive or has history. Smash is just not that compelling to me.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've enjoyed the Smash games since Gamecube. I used to have Smash tournaments in college during the Gamecube days and it was glorious. It was a no brainer to get the Switch version. My kids and I have a blast teaming up against the computer.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@mojito1988 said:

Have a few friends over for a game night with it and you will understand. Smash Bros is local co-op and it's finest.

^ This, your really NOT supposed to play it alone, thats not the spirit of smash, if you did not plan on playing with friends the game is not going to feel that great, similar to mario kart

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15984 Posts

Nintendo stuff. Nostalgia biased as usual

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@Rockman999 said:

God forbid Nintendo favors gameplay and content over cinematics, Hollywood voice actors and poorly paced and directed plots.

Even the gameplay has never really been that good though, it certainly isn't deep. It's the definition of a casual game... basically "babies first fighting game". There's elements of randomization that gives everyone except a total spaz a chance to win, kind of like Mario Kart gives the last place driver the best power-ups to help them catch up. That's why it's a good couch co-op game. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm terrible at fighting games so Smash is probably my style of fighter LOL.

It's basically what I see most Mario spinoff games as, the technical bones and gameplay mechanics of a 6/10 almost shovelware game with the brand name Nintendo icons along with plenty of other cameos . That alone makes it a 9/10 in alot of people's eyes. I don't get it. But as someone else said, I don't get the appeal of Pokemon either... yet millions do. I just find it sort of weird.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

1. Don't state your opinions as fact. It's not a big game to you, but you're not everyone.

2. Sales don't lie. It's a top-tier seller because it clearly offers a lot to a lot of people. You aren't one of those people... and that's okay, unless you decide to be an asshole and imply that those people are wrong, which your title does.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Techhog89
@sakaixx said:

Nintendo stuff. Nostalgia biased as usual

So when's PSASBR2 with Cloud and Snake?

... oh wait

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

@enzyme36 said:

... and these guys seem to love it lol

Loading Video...

This could well be a new level of cringe unseen by humanity.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 enzyme36

@DocSanchez: I'm not saying it's a 10/10... I'm saying characters matter in fighting games.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Juub1990
@uninspiredcup said:

Some of them are actually pretty dope.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

Because it's one of the ultimate party games out there? It also gets taken very seriously in the competitive crowd. There aren't many games out there that balance the casual and core gameplay style as efficiently as Smash Bros.

Booting up the game for the first time, the design is seemingly simple and easy to grasp; however, the more you play the game the more you unlock content and realize there's a deep reservoir of unlockables to obtain. Each fighter has their own move set. Each fighter is like their own little toy box you can have a blast playing with and developing skill. When you get bored with one fighter, you can switch to another one and have a completely different play style, and things can continue to be fresh with such a huge roster.

I think Smash is at its best when it is with friends, and because Smash has so much content to behold, there's plenty of those "oh shit" moments that are especially worthwhile with others.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Juub1990

@2Chalupas:

>It certainly isn’t deep

Go on the Smash wiki instead of talking out of your ass.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Juub1990 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Some of them are actually pretty dope.

Donno. Watching guys dressing up like Skid Row mobsters using expletive's like the N word repeatability against a montage of Princess Peach in her pretty pink dress jumping on Kirby, the personification of cuteness creates an intricately hilarious dichotomy.

But then I don't really get rap either. It's mostly people glamouring treating woman like shit and romanticizing anti-social criminal behaviour that seem to pop up.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator

@jeezers said:
@mojito1988 said:

^ This, your really NOT supposed to play it alone, thats not the spirit of smash, if you did not plan on playing with friends the game is not going to feel that great, similar to mario kart

I play every Nintendo games in single player, even though's of Splatoon 2, Mario Kart & even SSB Ultimate. Not sure "your really NOT supposed to play it alone" came from anyways.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Because the gameplay is addictive. Because it’s a mashup of countless of Nintendo and 3rd party series. Because it can be both competitive and a party game. Because it’s extremely polished. Because it creates epic nights with friends. Because it connects co-workers and random strangers on the train.

I could continue but I feel these are the most important reasons for why I like Smash Bros. Especialy Ultimate.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

for me. i never played the 64 version and melee. it was 2007? and i wanted to play mario kart 64 online against people. I adored mario kart 64.
I discovered a service called kaillera. Where you can play n64 games online with people. I would always play mario kart. BUT... the game that everyone was playing there was smash 64.
So, i was like "let me try it"

Well, the people playing the game where GODs. the combos where beautiful and jaw dropping. It made me want to learn the game and gave me a new mission in life. I was never able to play like they played but i had huge love for the game. To this day smash 64 is my favourite. The amount of skill needed to play is the hardest on 64 imo. More than melee imo.

I never played melee because it was never online.

fast forward to 2008 and smash on wii would be the first game with online. I was super pumped. I had tons of fun on that game. Even though everything was simplified compared to melee and 64 but i was a huge fan of the game by that point and i still am.

basically, i can see the skill needed to play the game and it makes me love it. I also love street fighter for the same reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Its a fighter game. It means either you memorize all the buttons and combos or just mash buttons until you win.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@2Chalupas: The idea that Nintendo games get special treatment by critics due to the brand name is just a conspiracy theory. Maybe the games aren't for you, but many others appreciate them for their high level of polish and focus on fun gameplay.

Stuff like Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 are easy to pick up and play for beginners, but take time to master. Strikes a good balance in appealing to gamers of different skill levels imo.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Techhog89
@watercrack445 said:

Its a fighter game. It means either you memorize all the buttons and combos or just mash buttons until you win.

You've never played Smash. It doesn't have any special combos to memorize at all.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Techhog89
@Juub1990 said:

@2Chalupas:

>It certainly isn’t deep

Go on the Smash wiki instead of talking out of your ass.

He's trolling.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

It’s just another overrated Nintendo game by their delusional fanboys.

Nintendo makes 7/10 quality games but their rabid insane fan base hypes them as 11/10 games causing reviewers to inflate their scores because they are scared of losing page hits.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@ajstyles said:

It’s just another overrated Nintendo game by their delusional fanboys.

Nintendo makes 7/10 quality games but their rabid insane fan base hypes them as 11/10 games causing reviewers to inflate their scores because they are scared of losing page hits.

it's arguably the best fighting game series of all time.

cry moar