Why do console peasants pay to play online?

• 143 results
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I never understood this phenomenon as a PC gamer. Lemmings would extol the benefits of Xbox Live back in the day as being some unrivalled gaming ecosystem, and that paying a monthly fee was the only way you could get advanced online features like friends lists and voice chat. You now have cows celebrating "free" games they recieve for being forced to pay to access the internet from their consoles.

Meanwhile, PC gamers have access to Steam, and other ecosystems, free of charge. Steam is the industry leader in online ecosystems, offering an endless stream of community tools, voice chat, free and/or very cheap games, and more.

Paying to play online has been spitting in the face of net neutrality long before it ever became a political issue in the US, and yet Xflop/Flopstation users have embraced it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Why does the master race make these kind of threads?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I dont.

But yeah, its a scam I'll never be a part of

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because they don't have a choice?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

It's pretty funny how people thought Ps3 for $600 was waaaaaay too much, but happily pay $400 for Ps4 + $60/year PSN for 5+ years.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

It's like a cheater free zone tax.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

But but "free" games?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@phbz said:

It's like a cheater free zone tax.

Macs are virus free too.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

We pay because we don't have a choice it's as simple as that

if you wanna play online on a console you have to pay.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@johnmclane26 said:

Pretty much this. And it basically equates to $5/month. If you're pissing and moaning about that, you've got bigger problems than SW bullshit

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
@cainetao11 said:
@johnmclane26 said:

Pretty much this. And it basically equates to $5/month. If you're pissing and moaning about that, you've got bigger problems than SW bullshit

I disagree, I chose to play on the console, I could have used the pc, but I choose the console, because it has a unified platform for multiplayer and friends, because it has no cheaters, because I like to play against other people with a controller.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cainetao11

@commander said:
@cainetao11 said:
@johnmclane26 said:

I disagree, I chose to play on the console, I could have used the pc, but I choose the console, because it has a unified platform for multiplayer and friends, because it has no cheaters, because I like to play against other people with a controller.

Okey doke

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX

@commander said:
@cainetao11 said:
@johnmclane26 said:

lol if you actually believe this

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 commander

@cainetao11 said:

Okey doke

didn't expect nothing more than a bit of heavy breathing, some scratching and gnarl from you, you are after all an old man.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@commander said:
@cainetao11 said:
@johnmclane26 said:

Kids will find a way to cheat but he is correct in one thing, and that is cheating is not as simple as on pc and therefore it´s less rampant.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX

@Jacanuk said:
@MonsieurX said:
@commander said:
@cainetao11 said:
@johnmclane26 said:

Kids will find a way to cheat but he is correct in one thing, and that is cheating is not as simple as on pc and therefore it´s less rampant.

But claiming there is no cheaters at all

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By commander

@MonsieurX said:
@commander said:
@cainetao11 said:
@johnmclane26 said:

not like the pc it hasn't, don't see any aimbots and the likes of that. Besides if you report a glitch that can be used as an advantage or anything, it's being dealt with quite quickly.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I don't pay the XBL fee just to go online, it is to access the closed XBL ecosystem and everything that comes along with it. I think XBL provides great value which keeps increasing over time, although it was a little rough at the beginning when they didn't have background music for instance, today after so many updates I feel I am still definitely getting my money's worth.

The open free ecosystem of the PC has some advantages over a closed one of say XBL or PSN, however it also carries many disadvantages with it as well. Each has their pros and cons the way I see it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44348 Posts

I pay for Xbox Live because I want to play games online, I like the service provided, and I like the free games offered each month along with any discounts to purchasing things from the marketplace. Also I’m not at all interested on gaming on PC so that option is out of the question.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By commander

@MonsieurX said:
@Jacanuk said:
@MonsieurX said:

It's hard to cheat on the console, especially on the competitive games that take itself seriously, people get banned quite quickly on games like fifa for instance.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk

@UssjTrunks said:

I never understood this phenomenon as a PC gamer. Lemmings would extol the benefits of Xbox Live back in the day as being some unrivalled gaming ecosystem, and that paying a monthly fee was the only way you could get advanced online features like friends lists and voice chat. You now have cows celebrating "free" games they recieve for being forced to pay to access the internet from their consoles.

Meanwhile, PC gamers have access to Steam, and other ecosystems, free of charge. Steam is the industry leader in online ecosystems, offering an endless stream of community tools, voice chat, free and/or very cheap games, and more.

Paying to play online has been spitting in the face of net neutrality long before it ever became a political issue in the US, and yet Xflop/Flopstation users have embraced it.

Think you are a bit confused here, Net Neutrality has nothing to do with consoles have a fee for playing online.

But we pay because we have to and with the free games it´s not that bad

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonsieurX

@commander said:
@MonsieurX said:
@Jacanuk said:
@MonsieurX said:

It's hard to cheat on the console, especially on the competitive games that take itself seriously, people get banned quite quickly on games like fifa for instance.

>competitive games

>consoles

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I won't renew my PS+ subscription when it is over since I never play online and never play the renting game avalaible.

You still have access to the PS store, and voice chat when not a PS+ member so whatever.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

@MonsieurX said:
@Jacanuk said:
@MonsieurX said:
@commander said:
@cainetao11 said:

Yup, cheaters will always find a way.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cainetao11

@clefdefa said:

I won't renew my PS+ subscription when it is over since I never play online and never play the renting game avalaible.

You still have access to the PS store, and voice chat when not a PS+ member so whatever.

After Shawn Layden basically said at PSX in Dec that they don't care about MP I am having trouble wanting to pay them for accessing MP. I play online on Live and I get fun online gaming from MS there.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

Everyone pays to a certain extent unless you have a free high speed service with your PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@commander said:
@MonsieurX said:
@Jacanuk said:
@MonsieurX said:

>competitive games

>consoles

Nevermind the fact that its the individual game publishers that ban the accounts, not MS or Sony... so in other words, no platform has a "better banning" rate than another... just another peasant placebo.

@commander said:
@cainetao11 said:
@johnmclane26 said:

This part always puzzles me... you sacrifice so much for a unified platform, yet "friends list" is about the only plus anyone ever mentions.

It's not even a plus... everyone just uses Discord these days.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cainetao11

@MBirdy88: I don't use discord. Many I know don't use discord. NOT everyone uses discord.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 commander

@MonsieurX said:

>competitive games

>consoles

I guess you never heard of fifa tournaments, or tournaments of pretty much any fighting game, they happen on the console. They happen in the states as well, don't know what planet you live on lol

@MBirdy88 said:

Nevermind the fact that its the individual game publishers that ban the accounts, not MS or Sony... so in other words, no platform has a "better banning" rate than another... just another peasant placebo.

@commander said:

This part always puzzles me... you sacrifice so much for a unified platform, yet "friends list" is about the only plus anyone ever mentions.

Banning of players happens by ms (don't know about sony) as well. There are easier ways to ban players for publishers as well, since it is a unified platform.

Everyone use xboxlive on xbox, not everyone uses discord on the pc, that's a given. It's not because your friends use discord that this is the case for any pc player.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#30 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I love giving Sony my money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@cainetao11 said:

@MBirdy88: I don't use discord. Many I know don't use discord. NOT everyone uses discord.

@commander said:
@MonsieurX said:

>competitive games

>consoles

I guess you never heard of fifa tournaments, or tournaments of pretty much any fighting game, they happen on the console. They happen in the states as well, don't know what planet you live on lol

@MBirdy88 said:

@commander said:

Banning of players happens by ms (don't know about sony) as well. There are easier ways to ban players for publishers as well, since it is a unified platform.

Everyone use xboxlive on xbox, not everyone uses discord on the pc, that's a given. It's not because your friends use discord that this is the case for any pc player.

Right, maybe I exaggerate, but still.

I have Steam, Discord, Skype , FB Messenger, Whats app. All 1 click away, all running at once with no performance inpact. Typing is alot faster on PCs too.

So yea ok, maybe not everyone uses Discord (why the f*ck not its 2018?).... the overall point is, communication is not hard in the slightest...

Such a minor thing for so much loss.

Was not aware MS ban... probably similar to how Valve does it?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cainetao11

@MBirdy88: Im just having a laugh. Discord is very widely adopted, your point stands.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8495 Posts

Because console gamers easily bend over for their favorite companies. They put these companies interests before them. PC gamers don't have this problem, they said F**k off to MS, said f**k off to paid mods and I'm damn sure they would even leave steam if they tried to pull pay to play online shit.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9827 Posts

@UssjTrunks: We pay online because we can afford it, and unlike PC it means we don't have cheats.... Oh, and we get games included for that price too.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cainetao11

Yeah no, I don't bend over for a company. Im just a different human being than you. As such I like different things than you. $5/month isn't enough to make me upset. You people act like they're charging as much as Spectrum charges me for Internet. I understand its argument ammo but its a pittance.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

They did have a choice but just decided to accept it because they didn't know any better. You never payed to play on PC and console before M$ started the trend while Sony was still free. M$ tried it with PC and GFWL when gears of wars was released and it failed miserably PC gamers refused to pay, no GFWL game had a fee after it to play online. Console muppets are the reason why you pay to play online, pay for simple DLC, micro-transactions and loot boxes.

Compare Call of Duty when it was PC exclusive to now its a mess. And i dont mind if company's offer a monthy service for access to play games etc but online should always be free.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

It does suck I can't deny that I mean paying to play online on top the fact that I already pay to have Internet? it's really silly

I would have liked to go pc exclusive but unfortunately pc has nothing I would call even remotely interesting in terms of games so console it is

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MonsieurX

@PCgameruk said:
@MonsieurX said:

They did have a choice but just decided to accept it because they didn't know any better. You never payed to play on PC and console before M$ started the trend while Sony was still free. M$ tried it with PC and GFWL when gears of wars was released and it failed miserably PC gamers refused to pay, no GFWL game had a fee after it to play online. Console muppets are the reason why you pay to play online, pay for simple DLC, micro-transactions and loot boxes.

Compare Call of Duty when it was PC exclusive to now its a mess. And i dont mind if company's offer a monthy service for access to play games etc but online should always be free.

It was either "pay to access online" or "don't pay and don't access online". Not quite a choice there is

You never payed to play on PC because it's not ruled by a single company.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

I like how hermits ask this, as if paid MMOs were never a thing and weren't incredibly popular. Everquest, Final Fantasy XI and WOW cost more, and that price only covered a single game. Not to mention the countless millions spent on microtransactions...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@asylumni said:

I like how hermits ask this, as if paid MMOs were never a thing and weren't incredibly popular. Everquest, Final Fantasy XI and WOW cost more, and that price only covered a single game. Not to mention the countless millions spent on microtransactions...

Because there is a different in GaaS and Charging to access Peer 2 Peer games (of ANY kind) from a friggin middleman?

With Subs and Micro transactions, they go straight to the company, with PSN/XBOX LIVE you are being forced to pay for additional services BEYOND that that you didn't even need/want to begin with.

Oh, and Micro transactions and Subscription MMO's are on consoles NOW.... your point doesn't even make sense.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@MonsieurX said:
@commander said:
@cainetao11 said:

That has nothing to do with paying for the service. It has everything to do with the consoles being a closed platform. Cheaters would be less rampant even if consoles had free online.

There is nothing they wouldn't provide you except these so called "free" games you get to rent every month for your payment. Otherwise, even if they didn't charge you, all other services would be exactly the same.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

We pay because we can afford 5 bucks a months, you PC gamers need to save those 5 bones cuz you’re gonna need them the next time you have to upgrade your graphics card.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MonsieurX

@asylumni said:

This is not even comparable.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@MonsieurX said:
@PCgameruk said:
@MonsieurX said:

It was either "pay to access online" or "don't pay and don't access online". Not quite a choice there is

Not entirely true. MS tried to make PC gamers pay to access online for their games. No one paid; and now it's free. If PC players had paid, and graciously bent over to take it in the keaster, more services would be charging today; even Steam would consider dipping into the profits. The same exact scenario would have played out on consoles had console gamers not opened their wallets to the madness.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MonsieurX

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@MonsieurX said:
@PCgameruk said:
@MonsieurX said:

Not entirely true. MS tried to make PC gamers pay to access online for their games. No one paid; and now it's free. If PC players had paid, and graciously bent over to take it in the keaster, more services would be charging today; even Steam would consider dipping into the profits. The same exact scenario would have played out on consoles had console gamers not opened their wallets to the madness.

MS tried it on their GFWL service, they couldn't lock down all the games on PC while they could do that on their console.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95

@MonsieurX said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@MonsieurX said:
@PCgameruk said:
@MonsieurX said:

MS tried it on their GFWL service, they couldn't lock down all the games on PC while they could do that on their console.

Yes, but that still doesn't change the fact that they would have eventually made online free had no one paid on console. Consumers shape how companies develop. The companies cannot make you pay; you choose to do so of your own volition. If people stopped paying, they would have opened online up for free, and you'd have a completely different ecosystem today.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 asylumni

@MBirdy88 said:
@asylumni said:

Because there is a different in GaaS and Charging to access Peer 2 Peer games (of ANY kind) from a friggin middleman?

With Subs and Micro transactions, they go straight to the company, with PSN/XBOX LIVE you are being forced to pay for additional services BEYOND that that you didn't even need/want to begin with.

Oh, and Micro transactions and Subscription MMO's are on consoles NOW.... your point doesn't even make sense.

It's still pay to play. In this case, about $15/month on a platform with numerous free options, versus $60/year on a platform with few free alternatives (Sony allows some free MMOs to side step PS+, I'm not sure about MS). Fleeced is still fleeced.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By asylumni

@MonsieurX said:
@asylumni said:

This is not even comparable.

Right, PC is an open platform with countless free options that gamers choose to pay to play, while consoles are a closed platform where gamers have little choice but to pay to play. The end result seems pretty similar to me, particularly when threads are made boasting about PC gaming revenue bolstered by subscriptions and microtransactions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@asylumni said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@asylumni said:

It's still pay to play. In this case, about $15/month on a platform with numerous free options, versus $60/year on a platform with few free alternatives (Sony allows some free MMOs to side step PS+, I'm not sure about MS). Fleeced is still fleeced.

Subscription or Micro transactions for games that are constantly evolving (Games as a Service) pick one. (Ofcourse, in many you can get away with playing for free).

It's not the same thing. stop pretending it is.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts

Lol yeah $5/month is such a big deal. Anyway, the cost is worth it to me, since I get 4 free games a month (on XB1).

It's funny how some PC gamers make fun of console gamers having to spend a few bucks for XBL/PSN, yet will spend hundreds (or even thousands) on just a graphics card. Lol. Each to their own.