Why arent there many FPS Games with Vietnam settings.

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AznKSor
Member since 2010 • 1400 Posts

You got Europe,Middle East,Pacific(Islands) , Artic. But what about Vietnam. Vietnam has an amazing environment.Vietnam has modern and WWII weapons. So why not use it. :P

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#2 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/vietcong/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

There are Vietnam games, they just suck

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

because the americans lost that one.

EDIT: but it's worth pointing out that there are a few vietnam games. hell, bad company 2 is getting/already got a vietnam DLC, and black ops will have vietnam stuff going on.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AznKSor

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/vietcong/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Dead-Memories

Ahh you corrected me.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AznKSor

because the americans lost that one.BrunoBRS
I was gonna say that but i thought people were gonna make fun of me for that statement.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I dunno to be honest. I actually like the Vietnam setting. Maybe its because there are still a lot of Vietnam war vets alive today? I mean apart from MOH the latest one, fictional wars are used or wars where 99% of the combatants are already dead (WW2), and we all know the slack MOH got. Same applies for that game 6 days in Fallujah. Or maybe they dont think Vietnam will sell all that well? I personally like the jungle setting...But do u know what I want to see in a Vietnam war game? I want to be able to play as the Vietcong if you so choose to and maybe add in some environmental hazards. Like poisonous flora/fauna and stuff like that...it would be more immersive but hard to implement :P
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]because the americans lost that one.AznKSor

I was gonna say that but i thought people were gonna make fun of me for that statement.

*points at edit* i just like to point that out. and it IS the reason too. but they're running out of wars to make games of, which is why fictional russian terrorists (seriously, still with the russians?) are being invented.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

I wanna say it, but I probably shouldn't. But I'm sure most people know why.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

felipebo
Say it.Who cares what people here will say.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Vietnam is fine, but it wasn't really a whole war. The entire war was the cold war. And a game that encompasses all of it would be amazing. That's why, even though I hate CoD and Activision I'm getting Black Ops. It's set in my dream setting.
felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

Lto_thaG

Because the USA ran away from Vietnam with their tails between their legs.

*runs*

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AznKSor

Vietnam is fine, but it wasn't really a whole war. The entire war was the cold war. And a game that encompasses all of it would be amazing. That's why, even though I hate CoD and Activision I'm getting Black Ops. It's set in my dream setting.hexashadow13
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam my friend.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="felipebo"]

felipebo

*runs*

Lol.Who is running now :P
AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AznKSor

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"] Say it.Who cares what people here will say.Lto_thaG

*runs*

Lol.Who is running now :P

The USA :P

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

don't worry... im sure after black ops is a massive success we will see PLENTY of them, in fact in a few years you'll be complaining there is too many of them

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
They just weren't as mainstream as Black Ops or BC2: Vietnam... They were hidden amongst the now outdated WWII games....
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

The Vietnam War doesn't have the weight of other conflicts so people don't usually show too much interest in the fact. Most people, here in America, still have no idea why we even fought that war.

But Nazis? Everyone hates Nazis. Everyone wants to shoot a Nazi in the face (repeatedly).

Same goes for Communism and the Cold War rivalry we had with Russia. Even though the Russians aren't communistic anymore, a lot of people don't care.

The only reason games like Medal of Honor exist is because that's the war going on now, and so people know about it. But Vietnam and Korean War games are rare because people either don't know the reasoning or don't remember.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dead-Memories

felipebo
it was just LBJ's foolishness that lost us the war, we had no reason to be there in the first place :lol:
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

Well on one end I can tell you why American companies don't make Vietnamese games usually.... we lost and therefore no one wants to talk about it. Why do you think there are so many WWII games? Well America was kinda of the hero of WWII so we like to constantly revisit it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It'd take a game with Crysis-like foliage to make a Vietnam War scenario effective unless it's something like the Tet Offensive.

Whenever I play that game, I sometimes pretend I'm VC setting up boobytraps and ambushes for ARVN troops.

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rhino53

[QUOTE="felipebo"]

Dead-Memories

it was just LBJ's foolishness that lost us the war, we had no reason to be there in the first place :lol:

yeah, the whole war was kinda a big cluster****

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AznKSor

I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually. millerlight89
Did you have a Vietnam Vet family member?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BrunoBRS
I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually. millerlight89
it's not really bashing, it's just the fact that americans went there and got pwnt, so they ran away and pretend it didn't happen. that's what history books say, not people.
AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AznKSor

[QUOTE="millerlight89"]I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually. BrunoBRS
it's not really bashing, it's just the fact that americans went there and got pwnt, so they ran away and pretend it didn't happen. that's what history books say, not people.

We had no purpose to go there. But LBJ said, we have to go because they are Communist :P

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="millerlight89"]I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually. BrunoBRS

The US didn't get owned in the battlefields of Vietnam. They got owned in the war of politics and public opinion.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually. AznKSor

We had no purpose to go there. But LBJ said, we have to go because they are Communist :P

actually there is a reason... just the vietnamese have practically nothing to do with it :P
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually. jun_aka_pekto

The US didn't get owned in the battlefields of Vietnam. They got owned in the war of politics and public opinion.

say that to the veterans that became drug addicts and go nuts at anything louder than fingersnapping.
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
We are going off-topic here and delving into politics. We can discuss about the politics of the Vietnam Wars in the Off-Topic Disucssion forum.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lto_thaG

We are going off-topic here and delving into politics. We can discuss about the politics of the Vietnam Wars in the Off-Topic Disucssion forum.thom_maytees
No,pleaseeeee :cry:

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BrunoBRS
We are going off-topic here and delving into politics. We can discuss about the politics of the Vietnam Wars in the Off-Topic Disucssion forum.thom_maytees
well that's what happens when someone asks why there aren't games set on vietnam war. it's bound to happen :P
Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rhino53

So........ games, they're fun

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually. jun_aka_pekto

Interesting statement. Did you see the footage of the war for yourself? What would YOUR opinion be in that time? And sorry to say it but U.S.A. lost in both wars, the battlefield and the public opinion/politics. That's not an opinion but a fact.
ixkingxr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ixkingxr
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

We lost cause of politically not on the battlefield... they got theirs worse than we got ours.

edit: political reasons not politcally =p

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Pretty much, the overwhelming pressure from the public forced the US back home despite a treaty having been reached. Supposedly, the treaty stated that if the NVA invaded South Vietnam again the US would come back, but the backlash from the punlic kept them from doing so. Sadly as bad as it was in South Vietnam, it only got worse (at least immediately afterwards) when they invaded again, meaning tons of dead and displaced civilians.

Anyways, even the mighty must fall occasionally, I'm surprised Vietnam is the only major war the US has lost in. The British had their butts handed to them way more when they were the supreme world power.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Most Vietnam games suck, Plus Americans dont care about Vietnam, Koren or the Gulf war.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] it's not really bashing, it's just the fact that americans went there and got pwnt, so they ran away and pretend it didn't happen. that's what history books say, not people.BrunoBRS

say that to the veterans that became drug addicts and go nuts at anything louder than fingersnapping.

Sorry for those vets. But, I've seen others like them who were in Desert Storm and we can't positively say the US lost that one. War, whether we lose it or not, will always produce casualties like them. The Korean war had them. WW2 had them. Earlier than that, I don't know.

I've spent enough time visiting VA clinics. So, I see a lot of these vets dating back from WW2 to the present.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12397 Posts
it was a war that a lot of people didn't approve of and the outcome was not good for the US.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

Sorry for those vets. But, I've seen others like them who were in Desert Storm and we can't positively say the US lost that one. War, whether we lose it or not, will always produce casualties like them. The Korean war had them. WW2 had them. Earlier than that, I don't know.

I've spent enough time visiting VA clinics. So, I see a lot of these vets dating back from WW2 to the present.

now remember that they weren't fighting nazis or another army. they were fighting people with knives and weapons stolen from dead bodies. and again, the number of casualties was too much for the US to handle, they had to keep numbers somewhat safe in case of a communist invasion. objective of the war was not met, they had to back away, that's the definition of losing the war to me.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sp4rtan_3

American troops didn't get "pwned" dude -___- We won every ground battle the Vietcong/ North Vietnamese throw at us. We just lost when it came to domestic and political support.
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

There are some but arent really good. I dream of a perfected Vietnam game with story modes for USA,South Nam, Vietcong, and NVA.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AznKSor

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="millerlight89"]I love the USA bashing in this thread. Really insulting actually. Sp4rtan_3

American troops didn't get "pwned" dude -___- We won every ground battle the Vietcong/ North Vietnamese throw at us. We just lost when it came to domestic and political support.

Yet. We really didnt have a GOOD reason to go. ;)

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#44 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11513 Posts

Vietcong was quite good once you got past some of the weirdness that came with it. Some really solid gunplay and enemy A.I.

Sometimes games where you play as the losers are very interesting, take BiA: Hells Highway for example. Makes for a good 'out numbered and out gunned' scenario.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] it's not really bashing, it's just the fact that americans went there and got pwnt, so they ran away and pretend it didn't happen. that's what history books say, not people.Locutus_Picard

Interesting statement. Did you see the footage of the war for yourself? What would YOUR opinion be in that time? And sorry to say it but U.S.A. lost in both wars, the battlefield and the public opinion/politics. That's not an opinion but a fact.

War is brutal. What did you expect? Soldiers and civilians die in wars. The most celebrated US victories are bathed in blood not just of US servicemen, but the blood of everybody else. There's nothing pretty about war.

My Pop was an SP in Da Nang when the Tet offensive hit. Nothing to do but hide and survive after emptying his .45 and all he had left was a billy club. He did nothing heroic. He merely survived and I'm happy he did and made it home.

AznKSor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AznKSor

Off-Topic: This year I am dressing up as the Vietcong :P

Next Year im going to dress up as a Japanese Kamakazi :lol:

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sp4rtan_3

[QUOTE="Sp4rtan_3"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] it's not really bashing, it's just the fact that americans went there and got pwnt, so they ran away and pretend it didn't happen. that's what history books say, not people.AznKSor

Yet. We really didnt have a GOOD reason to go. ;)

Ok ? And ? The troops did all that we asked of them there but the american people and government just didnt hold. Its not the troops fault we lost in Vietnam. But as someone said before we're getting OT so, Ill just say there isn't many vietnam themed games because the audience isn't there for one.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dead-Memories

[QUOTE="Locutus_Picard"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

War is brutal. What did you expect? Soldiers and civilians die in wars. The most celebrated US victories are bathed in blood not just of US servicemen, but the blood of everybody else. There's nothing pretty about war.

My Pop was an SP in Da Nang when the Tet offensive hit. Nothing to do but hide and survive after emptying his .45 and all he had left was a billy club. He did nothing heroic. He merely survived and I'm happy he did and made it home.

it's funny you bring up the tet offensive because it was a military defeat for the communists, yet it won them the war. :lol: and i think the proportion for vietnamese killed compared to US troops was 1 us troop for every 10 vietnamese, but no one actually wins in war.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sp4rtan_3

Vietcong was quite good once you got past some of the weirdness that came with it. Some really solid gunplay and enemy A.I.

Sometimes games where you play as the losers are very interesting, take BiA: Hells Highway for example. Makes for a good 'out numbered and out gunned' scenario.

with_teeth26
Or Halo: Reach :P
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Because it will take a genius to make a game that is as good as Apocalypse Now.... and I wouldn't accept a Vietnam War game unless it's that good.