why are the "best" consoles actually the ones that failed commerciall

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -snorlax-
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

N64, Dreamcast, Neg Geo, and many other underrated consoles are considered by some gamers to be the best yet they were the least sold in their respective generation. Dont sales determine the best system or maybe not? explain?

bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bingbaocao
Member since 2009 • 1852 Posts

"the best is an opinion"

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

Dont sales determine the best system or maybe not? explain?

-snorlax-
no. the quality of software and hardware determines the best system. that is why the ps1 beat the N64. it had the better games. same with PS2. this gen, its a tie between PS3 and 360. i think by the end of the gen, PS3 will have won. people need to just face the fact that sony gets the best deals when it comes to exclusive retail games. their first party is insanely large and each company comes out with a stellar game.
obsolete2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 obsolete2k1
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts
turbo graphix 16, virtua boy, atari jaguar, ???
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#5 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

The "failure", or perhaps lack of success, of those consoles is largely due to poor choice in storage medium for games. GameCube would be another example. I have a feeling PS3 will be joining that list soon.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Scoob64
Member since 2008 • 2635 Posts

When I think of great consoles that were commercial failures I first think of the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast... amazing, underrated consoles with so much potential. The Saturn didn't do nearly as bad in Japan as it did in the US, and the Dreamcast didn't do nearly as well in Japan as over here :\ they never could get it quite right.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -snorlax-

"the best is an opinion"

bingbaocao
that statement was also an opinion
Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Scoob64

good games had nothing to do with the intial groundbreaking PS2 sales in Japan... and then it sold so well, more developers go on board along with the initial ones, and more games were made... its a cycle...

Really good games don't always equal good sales.

the number 1 seller with it was the Matrix on DVD... Japan didn't do DVD until the PS2 came.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

neo geo failed for a reason, it sucked ass

and claiming it to be better than the SNES is ludicrous

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts
[QUOTE="bingbaocao"]

"the best is an opinion"

-snorlax-

No it's a fact; what you consider best or worst is purely optional.
-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -snorlax-
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="bingbaocao"]

"the best is an opinion"

lebanese_boy

youre wrong.
mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts

They weren't embraced by the masses.

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Scoob64

neo geo failed for a reason, it sucked ass

and claiming it to be better than the NES is ludicrous

kidcool189

Didn't suck to me.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lebanese_boy
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"] that statement was also an opinion

youre wrong.

Whatever pleases you...
-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -snorlax-
[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] No it's a fact; what you consider best or worst is purely optional.

youre wrong.

Whatever pleases you...

ok youre right. did that please you?
Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

They weren't embraced by the masses.

mixmax5

This.

Systems like the N64 with some of the best games ever (praised by critics and gamers alike) failed for that reason. Same with the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast had such an amazing launch and consistently had amazing games put out for it, but unfortunately 95% of the gaming population won't ever know about that. :(

Scoob64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Scoob64

The "failure", or perhaps lack of success, of those consoles is largely due to poor choice in storage medium for games. GameCube would be another example. I have a feeling PS3 will be joining that list soon.

gamecubepad

Only from Nintendo's side do I see this tho... Sega repeatedly had the correct format... sometimes too ahead of their time indeed with the Mega CD... as did CD-i, 3DO, Amiga CD, blah blah

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lebanese_boy
[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"] youre wrong.

Whatever pleases you...

I care not weither you agree with me or not, make up your own mind friend.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#19 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Only from Nintendo's side do I see this tho... Sega repeatedly had the correct format... sometimes too ahead of their time indeed with the Mega CD... as did CD-i, 3DO, Amiga CD, blah blah

Scoob64

Sega failed to include a dvd player with the DC and because of this most people simply overlooked the system. Also, the 1GB GD-ROM caused most 3rd party devs to shy away from the system. My statement pretty much applied to consoles that had decent games and hardware, but were still overlooked, so 3do, saturn, and Sega-CD don't really apply.

If N64 had CD instead of cart it's highly likely Playstation would never had existed, or at best made it past 2yrs on the market. DC with DVD would have ruined the PS2. IMO.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

N64, Dreamcast, Neg Geo, and many other underrated consoles are considered by some gamers to be the best yet they were the least sold in their respective generation. Dont sales determine the best system or maybe not? explain?

-snorlax-
the second post answered you
-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -snorlax-

[QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="lebanese_boy"] Whatever pleases you...lebanese_boy

I care not weither you agree with me or not, make up your own mind friend.

i was being sarcastic friend.

enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

gamecubepad

Sega failed to include a dvd player with the DC and because of this most people simply overlooked the system. Also, the 1GB GD-ROM caused most 3rd party devs to shy away from the system. My statement pretty much applied to consoles that had decent games and hardware, but were still overlooked, so 3do, saturn, and Sega-CD don't really apply.

If N64 had CD instead of cart it's highly likely Playstation would never had existed, or at best made it past 2yrs on the market. DC with DVD would have ruined the PS2. IMO.

uhhh If N64 had a cd rom insetad of cartridge then PS1 would have never existed. Sony was the one contracted out to make the cd drives for nintendo. then nintendo backed out and went with cartidges again. at which point Sony made the PS1.

-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -snorlax-

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

gamecubepad

i enjoyed that response. thank you. im tired of people trying to be politically correct around here.
-snorlax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -snorlax-

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

[QUOTE="Scoob64"]

enygma500

uhhh If N64 had a cd rom insetad of cartridge then PS1 would have never existed. Sony was the one contracted out to make the cd drives for nintendo. then nintendo backed out and went with cartidges again. at which point Sony made the PS1.

if nintendo and sony were still together, they would be a force to be reckoned with today. microsot wouldnt even be competition.
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

[QUOTE="enygma500"]

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

-snorlax-

if nintendo and sony were still together, they would be a force to be reckoned with today. microsot wouldnt even be competition.

Yeah M$ wouldn't even have stood a chance.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

But the PS2 and SNES were the most succesful of their generations. :o

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

if nintendo and sony were still together, they would be a force to be reckoned with today. microsot wouldnt even be competition.-snorlax-

The problem with that was Sony really only going to help with the hardware so Nintendo could us a CD format. I doubt Nintendo would've gone Sony's route of encouraging more mature gaming since they would've kep their strangle hold on the gaming industry.

So yeah, they'd still dominate, but gaming would be severely different.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

when you think of it, it is indeed true that the best always fail but, no matter how much u think, you will never know why!!!!!!!

obsolete2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 obsolete2k1
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts
[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="-snorlax-"][QUOTE="bingbaocao"]

"the best is an opinion"

agreed. best or worst is subjective.