Why are people so bothered by specs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

God forbid people would actually buy a console for games. Average joe doesn't care about specs. Which console has he generally favored? One with a robust library or the least powerful.

You power lovers are focusing WAY too much on what is inside the system. I didn't know how fast the processor could set on fire is what determined what the majority buy. If it was then I have to wonder what made everybody go for PS1, PS2, DS and 3DS.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

People like pretty graphics.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

God forbid people would actually buy a console for games. Average joe doesn't care about specs. Which console has he generally favored? One with a robust library or the least powerful.

You power lovers are focusing WAY too much on what is inside the system. I didn't know how fast the processor could set on fire is what determined what the majority buy. If it was then I have to wonder what made everybody go for PS1, PS2, DS and 3DS.

quickposter

no1 on this board is average joe.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts

[QUOTE="quickposter"]

campzor

Especially you.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]

[QUOTE="quickposter"]

percech

Especially you.

thanks?
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

The whole point of making a new console is because technology has improved so its only natural to want to know what technology is going to be in it. Wouldnt make sense not to care if you were considering purchasing. I could see casuals not caring but they dont typically post in game forums.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

specs or not Wii U is still a rip-off just like the 3DS was a rip-off at $250.

cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

Yangire
With shallow gameplay
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Because we want Microsoft and Sony to cater to us and not the average joe. We want super powerful specs that rivals PCs.

And when the company announces that they are supporting us, we will call doom on every company who doesn't. Silly Nintendo.

And when that amazing powerful console is released, we will show our full hardcore support by NOT buying it. We will call those idiots, idiots, because they went ahead

and did what we wanted even though we are all talk but won't support a powerful console (because it's too expensive!!).

Anyways, I just want a balance between power and price. Don't go aganist PCs. BALANCE point.

cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

These graphics arent that bad but the gameplay sucks lol, this game could of been a hell of alot cooler if you could of play as the cat and go hunting animals lol.

DerveCreaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DerveCreaves
Member since 2013 • 345 Posts

quickposter
The problem is that there are to many toasters.
naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Because there is more to computing power than just graphics...Ai,physics,number of players,size of the world etc

That should be obvious...

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

quickposter

Any individual that has ever developed something in a computer language and/or followed PC, console, mobile technology in the past few years knows of the leaps (some might read that as pitfalls) which have happened.

Something the scale a AAA studio might make today could barely have been imagined by the average person close to 10+ years ago. The next gen (Playstation and Xbox) will be sure to provide something in the way of visuals one might not have dreamed of today or yesterday.

It is not a lust (at least, not for me) when new specs, tools, etc for next gen consoles are talked about and discussed. The genuine surprise that will come in video game worlds is what builds up a sense of hype.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wakefulness

Because there is more to computing power than just graphics...Ai,physics,number of players,size of the world etc

naz99

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ni6htmare01  Online
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Because Spec will indicate what type of gaphic and performace the machine is capiable of?

lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

Yangire

Is that it?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Because this time it might be 10-15 years before we get a new console.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

good gameplay and graphics > just good gameplay

tetrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tetrim
Member since 2012 • 230 Posts

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

lonewolfman10

Is that it?

And this

naz99
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wakefulness

CaseyWegner

If there was a PS4 game made by Vanillaware (or another pixel or 2D art centric studio which did not need the use of next gen gfx or physics engines) that allowed up to four player co-op on cross-controller with VITA's, that would be a product of high specs (in a different sense).

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I don't care what average joe doesn't care about. If we're getting another 7-8 year gap before their successors they had better be powerful.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Small genitals?

In all seriousness though a lot of people put way too much attention into specs. If the next Playstation was on par with the Wii U no one would care or notice. If you want top of the line hardware play on PC. Consoles are meant to be long term, 5-7 year devices that can never be future proofed.

Yes, having more powerful hardware can make some games better but it doesn't make developers better at not making poor design choices.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#23 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
EVERYONE should care about specs... better the specs more advance a game can be. ..
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
It's the whole point of a new console. If not than just stick with what we have now. More power gives devs more options, better graphics, physics, AI, how much is going on at on screen, better draw distance etc... everything improves with power. There's nothing a more powerful system can do than a weaker one can (obviously), devs get to create what they want instead of being hindered by hardware. Look at all the games the Wii couldn't handle.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wakefulness

Small genitals?

In all seriousness though a lot of people put way too much attention into specs. If the next Playstation was on par with the Wii U no one would care or notice. If you want top of the line hardware play on PC. Consoles are meant to be long term, 5-7 year devices that can never be future proofed.

Yes, having more powerful hardware can make some games better but it doesn't make developers better at not making poor design choices.

bonesawisready5

The late resurgance of dd this gen proves there will be a market for a niche games (or, games which might not make it on retail) on consoles if enough interest and support is there. The presence of PSN and XBLA have risen and one would suspect this trend rise at the start of next gen.

Sony and MS dumping millions into a bunch of AAA games (to a first year install base) will not be wise. There will be indy games, second parties, and DLC which will change up the formula some in the first year (more change ups when compared to what one sees this gen, today).

p.s. I have not seen you post in sometime.

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

CaseyWegner

How often does that happen though? GTA IV is the worst in the series. As for Crysis and Killzone 2 well we know how they ended.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
Because I don´t want my games to be limited by 2005 hardware and bottlenecks. And I like to be a very well informed gamer and consumer.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

quickposter

How often does that happen though? GTA IV is the worst in the series. As for Crysis and Killzone 2 well we know how they ended.

it can happen. that's all that's important.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13665 Posts

Because we like advanced physics and progressing AI for gameplay and ever improving graphics for the atmosphere.

Strangely concepts that seem to be lost on Nintendo though.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Some people like myself are tech enthusiasts, we're genuinely interested in new tech and hardware trends, so we like to discuss such topics. Also, such an approach doesn't mean we don't care about the games themselves...

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

quickposter

Worst in the series by whose standards, exactly?

Yours?

How did I miss seeing your opinions becoming a measurement of game quality? :?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Small genitals?

bonesawisready5
Who would want to upgrade to a PS 4 if it was barely more powerful than PS 3??
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

Small genitals?

Cranler
Who would want to upgrade to a PS 4 if it was barely more powerful than PS 3??

Exactly, there would be no point. I want something that makes the current consoles completely obsolete. Also if gens are now going to last so long, than I want console that least holds back developers.
Haroon90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Haroon90
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I think it has more to do with knowing you own something that is less inferior compared to something else,less than worrying about what you don't know you don't have,if that makes sense.
Mar_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Mar_Sama
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts

Well specs stand for future, if specs would not be upgraded we would still play on or Commodore 64.

Of course the games will be working on both systems but we also need to consider making them for PC's, consoles also have to compete with a PC so the people will still consider buying a Console that is powerfull enough to play games like The Witcher.

Remember the games that came out on the PS3 and PS2 or PS2 to PS1. I remember having Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 on my PSX and then after i bought my PS2 and borrowed this game from a friend i was like in a whole new world. That is why we need the POWAH!.

Of course if you just look on specs and are trolling about your X360 having a tripple core and me having a PS3 with one core than you seriously have an issue in your life. For me as long as the gameplay is top notch and the graphics doesent need me to imagine that the character i play is really a human and not a lot of blocks looking like one (Mario on NES) than it is cool with me.

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wakefulness

I think it has more to do with knowing you own something that is less inferior compared to something else,less than worrying about what you don't know you don't have,if that makes sense.Haroon90

As a consumer, if you see something and match up the two; you must see one item as inferior and the other as superior.

Is that what you mean?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The specs of a console matter to the developers who make the games. Confining them them outdated technology while the boundaries of what games can be are pushed on the PC is not a good idea. They can still make great games within the confines of low specs, but they are being held back from making the games what they could have been.

On the PC this isn't an issue and that's why we see the boundaries of most genres being pushed on the PC first. PC devs operate on lower operating costs, so they can afford more risk, and they have way more hardware to work with.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
Because good specs are better than bad specs. And I generally like better graphics and/or better performance. Not to mention better specs sometimes mean you can do some fancy stuff.
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

quickposter

GTA 3/San Andreas/Vice City/GTA4 > GTA1 + 2. Killzone 2 was a much better game than Killzone, which was held back by hardware, and Crysis 2 was designed for inferior hardware. More advanced specs = more possibilities, if a game turns out like crap it will be awful on any hardware. Having last gen tech does not mean your games will be fantastic.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Better specs can equal better games in an artificial sense and may even delve into natural gameplay as well if its a main mechanic like physics.

True story.

Haroon90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Haroon90
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Haroon90"]I think it has more to do with knowing you own something that is less inferior compared to something else,less than worrying about what you don't know you don't have,if that makes sense.wakefulness

As a consumer, if you see something and match up the two; you must see one item as inferior and the other as superior.

Is that what you mean?

I mean you might be very happy with a product and never think it was inferior or anything,but when something new gets announced then your like oh now this is crippled and not as good anymore,but before the next best thing was announce you were perfectly happy with it,so im saying people just get annoyed by the idea of something out there that is better more than the need or purpose of having some better.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The games that you can produce with the specs are what's important. If the difference in hardware is huge, like with the Wii and 360/PS3 last gen, some gaming experiences might not be able to come to certain machines; which is the main concern. Some gaming experiences, which would have benefited from pointer control and wiimotion plus, never came to Wii. And if they did, they were usually watered down ports; though there are exceptions. If all current gen systems possess power within a reasonable distance from one another, multiplats shouldn't be an issue.

Then, there are the people who treat specs like a pissing contest...