Why are people acting like Masseffect is a RPG?

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts
Masseffect is an action RPG and an action RPG is basically a hack and Slash with RPG elements Zelda is an Action RPG. Why all of a sudden are people acting like Masseffect is gonna be this RPG messiah when it's just an action RPG ? it's not even remmotly the same Action Rpg's can also go under Action Adventure. Is the 360 lineupo of tradition RPGs so small that there adding all these Action RPG's to there RPG list? Blue Dragon thats an RPG it's a turn based system . you go then the enmy goes then you go again thats the RPG's Playstation has and PS also has Action RPG's like dark cloud. it seems to me the only RPG's that Xbox is getting is with RPG elements except blue Dragon and Lost Od, you can call them RPG's all you want but Traditional RPG's fans will notice there not when we play those games.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts

Masseffect is an action RPG and an action RPG is basically a hack and Slash with RPG elements Zelda is an Action RPG. Why all of a sudden are people acting like Masseffect is gonna be this RPG messiah when it's just an action RPG ? it's not even remmotly the same Action Rpg's can also go under Action Adventure. Is the 360 lineupo of tradition RPGs so small that there adding all these Action RPG's to there RPG list? Blue Dragon thats an RPG it's a turn based system . you go then the enmy goes then you go again thats the RPG's Playstation has and PS also has Action RPG's like dark cloud. it seems to me the only RPG's that Xbox is getting is with RPG elements except blue Dragon and Lost Od, you can call them RPG's all you want but Traditional RPG's fans will notice there not when we play those games.peacebringer

It's Bioware /thread. 

rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts
You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effect
Avatar image for flying_welshman
flying_welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 flying_welshman
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts

Because it is an RPG. It's made by bioware, and I don't remember Zelda having conversations whose direction you can control.

It's an RPG where you have direct control of the fighting rather than leaving it to dice rolls, nothing difficult to understand there.

OXIIIIXO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OXIIIIXO
Member since 2006 • 2337 Posts

Masseffect is an action RPG and an action RPG is basically a hack and Slash with RPG elements Zelda is an Action RPG. Why all of a sudden are people acting like Masseffect is gonna be this RPG messiah when it's just an action RPG ? it's not even remmotly the same Action Rpg's can also go under Action Adventure. Is the 360 lineupo of tradition RPGs so small that there adding all these Action RPG's to there RPG list? Blue Dragon thats an RPG it's a turn based system . you go then the enmy goes then you go again thats the RPG's Playstation has and PS also has Action RPG's like dark cloud. it seems to me the only RPG's that Xbox is getting is with RPG elements except blue Dragon and Lost Od, you can call them RPG's all you want but Traditional RPG's fans will notice there not when we play those games.peacebringer

Action rpgs are great and they are just as much rpgs as turn based rpgs.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

1. Bioware
2. It's an RPG whether it's action or turn based, who the hell cares? BD is no more a "RPG" than ME b/c it's turnbased combat. :|

hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts

There isn't exactly just an "RPG" anymore. Everyone has a category.

An RPG just deals with character development, some sort of progression system, and placing you as a hero.

Zuluking187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zuluking187
Member since 2005 • 2561 Posts

So only turn-based rpgs are real rpgs?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19602 Posts
Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

Hell, pretty much all JRPGs are just 'action RPGs'...only with much more linearity than western 'action RPGs'.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
So only turn-based rpgs are real rpgs?Zuluking187

The TC has amazing logic, no?
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 peacebringer
You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectrocktimusprime
it's not a turnbased RPG wich is what people think of when you say RPG. It has RPG elemts but to call it an RPG is kinda stretching it. it's an action game with RPG elemts. by your logic Metal gear Solid is a RPG cause when you fight phsyco matis you can choose what to say to them? no it's an action RPG but not a traditional RPG wich is what Cows love. and to the guy who said it's Bioware / thread must be 10. cause bioware= not the greaest company outside of Xbox fanboys eyes. they made Jade Empire and thats an action RPG so i'm not really stocked about this game.
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 peacebringer
Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

Hell, pretty much all JRPGs are just 'action RPGs'...only with much more linearity than western 'action RPGs'.

Planeforger
um no the action means it's real time combat. Turnbased is just that you take turns there an element of strategy you can just nuke things. Diablo when you got Higher levels sucked you can one shot things but a game like FF you had to choose to heal , use fire on ice creatures etc etc. this game won;t have that strategy part and if you think so wait till it comes out and you basically playing an action game with RPG elements, in the end this isn;t what Traditional RPG fans want.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
First and foremost the word "Bioware" obliterates your argument, but if you bothered to do your research, Mass Effect has more roleplaying elements than shooting elements with an extensive class and skill system as well as the obvios plot, dialogue and character interaction. It doesn't even rely on twitch shooting to determine accuracy, which is more determined by skills because of a standard auto-lock. That doesn't sound like something other than an RPG to me:|
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectpeacebringer
it's not a turnbased RPG wich is what people think of when you say RPG. It has RPG elemts but to call it an RPG is kinda stretching it. it's an action game with RPG elemts. by your logic Metal gear Solid is a RPG cause when you fight phsyco matis you can choose what to say to them? no it's an action RPG but not a traditional RPG wich is what Cows love. and to the guy who said it's Bioware / thread must be 10. cause bioware= not the greaest company outside of Xbox fanboys eyes. they made Jade Empire and thats an action RPG so i'm not really stocked about this game.

You're so lost on the RPG genre that's hard to know where to start.

There is nothing that requires an RPG (western or eastern) to be TB in order to be recognized as a RPG. There is no growth of character in MGS, that is such a misguided statement, and a poor analogy to boot.

Bioware is one of the best (if not the best to some) WRPG developer out there. To say there game isn't really an RPG simply b/c it has more action oriented combat is horribly flawed.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

[QUOTE="peacebringer"]Masseffect is an action RPG and an action RPG is basically a hack and Slash with RPG elements Zelda is an Action RPG. Why all of a sudden are people acting like Masseffect is gonna be this RPG messiah when it's just an action RPG ? it's not even remmotly the same Action Rpg's can also go under Action Adventure. Is the 360 lineupo of tradition RPGs so small that there adding all these Action RPG's to there RPG list? Blue Dragon thats an RPG it's a turn based system . you go then the enmy goes then you go again thats the RPG's Playstation has and PS also has Action RPG's like dark cloud. it seems to me the only RPG's that Xbox is getting is with RPG elements except blue Dragon and Lost Od, you can call them RPG's all you want but Traditional RPG's fans will notice there not when we play those games.-KinGz-

It's Bioware /thread. 

taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
Most modern games seems to blend several qualities of each genre together. A mix of the best, ideally. It's may not adhere to the traditional definition but you can't deny it has RPG roots.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
So what you're saying is that a game has to be turn based to be an RPG. So I guess that means WoW isn't an RPG then.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
[QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectpeacebringer

First of all, the arguement can be made that bioware is the greatest developer of all time. on gamerankings.com 4 of the top 10 RPGs of all time are made by bioware. Notice the top one is KOTOR, the only major difference between the two gameplay wise is that in ME you actually control when and where your character attacks instead of relying on dice rolls. ME is an RPG.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

peacebringer

um no the action means it's real time combat. Turnbased is just that you take turns there an element of strategy you can just nuke things. Diablo when you got Higher levels sucked you can one shot things but a game like FF you had to choose to heal , use fire on ice creatures etc etc. this game won;t have that strategy part and if you think so wait till it comes out and you basically playing an action game with RPG elements, in the end this isn;t what Traditional RPG fans want.

Have you played any Bioware RPGs? To say they don't have strategy is just so... *blank stare* :|

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
You literally ended your own thread in the first five words. You said "mass effect is an action RPG." Now do you know why we say it's an RPG?
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 peacebringer

[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effect-RPGamer-

There is nothing that requires an RPG (western or eastern) to be TB in order to be recognized as a RPG. There is no growth of character in MGS, that is such a misguided statement, and a poor analogy to boot.

Bioware is one of the best (if not the best to some) WRPG developer out there. To say there game isn't really an RPG simply b/c it has more action oriented combat is horribly flawed.

DID you play MGS? cause every boss you gain alil more HP oh wait you prob didn't play the PS version. I know what RPG's are i played over 50 of them check my reviews i reviewed Xenogears. and in the real world we call FF and RPG not a T RPG it's an RPG and we call games like Dark cloud and Brave fencer musashi Action RPG's we don't just call and Action RPG an rpg thats all i'm saying is call it an action RPG not just say oh it's an RPG cause it's miss leading.
OXIIIIXO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OXIIIIXO
Member since 2006 • 2337 Posts
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

peacebringer

Lol, pretty much in every rpg when you get a high enough level you can kill a lot if not most of the monsters with one hit. Also, you do need to heal in action rpgs, if you are skilled enough and don't get hit, then you don't need to, but otherwise you do.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
Put whatever lable on that makes you comfortable. What I'm calling it is bought on release day.
Zuluking187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zuluking187

peacebringer

Wait, what? Games in real time don't take stratagy? What about a RTS? and I really doubt "use fire on ice creatures" takes that much strategic thought.

mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts
Because.. it.. is..
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bman784
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectpeacebringer

DID you play MGS? cause every boss you gain alil more HP oh wait you prob didn't play the PS version. I know what RPG's are i played over 50 of them check my reviews i reviewed Xenogears. and in the real world we call FF and RPG not a T RPG it's an RPG and we call games like Dark cloud and Brave fencer musashi Action RPG's we don't just call and Action RPG an rpg thats all i'm saying is call it an action RPG not just say oh it's an RPG cause it's miss leading.

Explain to me how Mass Effect has more shooting elemnts than RPG elements, because...it doesn't:| Shooting is very secondary to roleplaying. 

mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectbman784

Explain to me how Mass Effect has more shooting elemnts than RPG elements, because...it doesn't:| Shooting is very secondary to roleplaying. 

This is sounding like Metroid Prime all over again.. except adventure is replaced with role-playing :o
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

No... an action rpg is still an rpg.

Elder Scrolls isn't turn based, yet there absolutely no doubt that it's an RPG.

And yes.... Jade Empire is an RPG also.  As is .hack or Kingdom Hearts.  Real time combat, but still RPGs

Both of which have much deeper stat-based gameplay than a game like Zelda.  There, the only experience upgrades are health containers and weapons/items. 

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
Member since 2006 • 1699 Posts

You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectrocktimusprime

pwn. 

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 peacebringer
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

-RPGamer-

Have you played any Bioware RPGs? To say they don't have strategy is just so... *blank stare* :|

i only hav KOTOR and Jad empire right in front of me thats all. and nither is a traditional RPG. a game like FF is an RPG yes i'm not saying there no role playing in ME i'm just saying it's not a traditional RPG and it's an action RPG and my Complaint is people are calling it a RPG.  Go look at Blue dragon it say Role Playing game and RPG is short for that a turn based RPG are called RPG's and thats it. Mass effect is an action RPG and people are calling it an RPG it's not the same yes it's a type of RPG but the three letter RPG are for turn based RPG's this is a fact of websites and magazines everywhere.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts

Because it is an RPG. It's made by bioware, and I don't remember Zelda having conversations whose direction you can control.

It's an RPG where you have direct control of the fighting rather than leaving it to dice rolls, nothing difficult to understand there.

flying_welshman
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

peacebringer

RPG = Role Playing Game, which in essence every game you play a character is really an RPG, we just dont put them under that catagory.

There are really only 2 kinds of RPG, you either 'Write the book', or 'Read a book'

Mass Effect is as RPG as Kotor or FF. 

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
Action RPG. There your anwser. 
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 peacebringer

[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass EffectVoodooHak

And yes.... Jade Empire is an RPG also. As is .hack or Kingdom Hearts. Real time combat, but still RPGs

Both of which have much deeper stat-based gameplay than a game like Zelda. There, the only experience upgrades are health containers and weapons/items.

no there not RPG"S there action RPG's theres a difefrance yes it's a type of RPG and heavly so but it's not the correct term the three letters RPG are for turn based everything else uses a sub gen like MMORPG or Action RPG but a RPG is a turn Based RPG just go type blue dragon and it'll say RPG and go look for oblivion and mass effect it says Action RPG there a differance RPG is meant to Specify a turn Based RPG since the NES dasy and the games that add RPG elemts may be RPG's but there under differant Genres' like i said amillion times it's an Action RPG and if you just say RPG a Gamers gonna think it's turn based battles but then if you tell him it's an action RPG hell be like oh that differant.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bman784
[QUOTE="bman784"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectmis3ry

This is sounding like Metroid Prime all over again.. except adventure is replaced with role-playing :o

Does Metroid Prime have a skill/(forbidden "c" word...oh noes)system with an expansive open ended plot spanning over 200 locations with emphasis on character interaction, and shooting being more tied in with RPG mechanics than twitch shooting mechanics? Because if it did, I wouldn't call it a shooter.

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pundog
[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectpeacebringer

And yes.... Jade Empire is an RPG also. As is .hack or Kingdom Hearts. Real time combat, but still RPGs

Both of which have much deeper stat-based gameplay than a game like Zelda. There, the only experience upgrades are health containers and weapons/items.

no there not RPG"S there action RPG's theres a difefrance yes it's a type of RPG and heavly so but it's not the correct term the three letters RPG are for turn based everything else uses a sub gen like MMORPG or Action RPG but a RPG is a turn Based RPG just go type blue dragon and it'll say RPG and go look for oblivion and mass effect it says Action RPG there a differance RPG is meant to Specify a turn Based RPG since the NES dasy and the games that add RPG elemts may be RPG's but there under differant Genres' like i said amillion times it's an Action RPG and if you just say RPG a Gamers gonna think it's turn based battles but then if you tell him it's an action RPG hell be like oh that differant.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you are going to call action RPGs and MMO's sub genres then you also have to make a sub genre for turn-based RPGs, the term RPG would cover all the different sub genres.
jdang307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jdang307
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts
Is that like God of War? Lol, j/k.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

I have played MGS on the PSX. That's not character growth. :|

Oh and I don't know what an RPG? I don't care if you've played 5 or 100, saying ME isn't an RPG is not a supported statement in the slightest.

In the real world we call Bioware's games RPGs to, wake up.

Action RPG are part of the RPG genre, what you're saying is misleading that's all I'm saying as well as pretty much everyone else in this thread.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
TC needs to recheck his definition of Role Playing Game.  And throwing in this nonsense about whether an RPG is tradional or action, it's a moot point, since (as it has already been stated) both are RPGs.  If Mass Effect has character progression/development and choice and consequence, then it is, in fact, an RPG.  Regardless of whether it takes place in real time or not.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
In the hermit world, we know the difference between action RPG and turn-based RPG. And console gamers should know this too. Daggerfall was an 'action' RPG. Fallout was 'turn-based'. But 10 years ago, you could say either one of those games were an RPG game. And PC gamers automatically knew the difference. Are you telling me that after the 'action' RPGs of last gen like Baldur's Gate DA and Morrowind on consoled that casuals can't look at the back of the box and know that Mass Effect is not a turn-based game?
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
peacebringer

Action RPG, turn based, and MMORPG is part of the RPG category. They are all the same type of game even with the differents.

MagnuzGuerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MagnuzGuerra
Member since 2004 • 1037 Posts
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

peacebringer

i only hav KOTOR and Jad empire right in front of me thats all. and nither is a traditional RPG. a game like FF is an RPG yes i'm not saying there no role playing in ME i'm just saying it's not a traditional RPG and it's an action RPG and my Complaint is people are calling it a RPG.  Go look at Blue dragon it say Role Playing game and RPG is short for that a turn based RPG are called RPG's and thats it. Mass effect is an action RPG and people are calling it an RPG it's not the same yes it's a type of RPG but the three letter RPG are for turn based RPG's this is a fact of websites and magazines everywhere.

You played KOTOR and say that it isn't a traditional RPG?

Have you ever played RPG with people, not only on consoles/pc?
Bioware's RPG's is what is most close to a real RPG.

Kotor is much more RPG than FF or Blue Dragon. 

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 peacebringer
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"]You do understand the true essence of an RPG is to play a role in story, build attributes and build a character......which you do in Mass Effectpundog

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you are going to call action RPGs and MMO's sub genres then you also have to make a sub genre for turn-based RPGs, the term RPG would cover all the different sub genres.

yo i don't make the rules Traditional RPG's don't have a sub genre cause they were the first so there are ****fied as RPG , god why is this so hard to take in. Look up Blue Dragon and FF and other traditinal RPG's there labeled RPG's and and Mass effect is under Action RPG. RPG is a term for turn based RPG's a game just cause it has RPG elemts does not mean it's an RPG. like i said there a subgenre for them since traditional RPG's were first they are Called RPG's and a hardcore gamer like me knows this. go look on this very site Bluedragon Label RPG and other traditional rpg's also. but games they are not turnbased are called Action or MMorpg's how can i get owned if this is the truth?
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

peacebringer

"Traditional" to whom? Western or eastern markets. Action RPGs are in fact RPgs, hence the reason people are pointing out the "RPG" in "action RPG". No RPG is NOT short for "turn based RPG" it's short for "role playing game, period.

Example Elder Scrolls on this site is called a "Genre: Role-Playing". So there goes tha piss poor concept.

peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 peacebringer
[QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

MagnuzGuerra

i only hav KOTOR and Jad empire right in front of me thats all. and nither is a traditional RPG. a game like FF is an RPG yes i'm not saying there no role playing in ME i'm just saying it's not a traditional RPG and it's an action RPG and my Complaint is people are calling it a RPG. Go look at Blue dragon it say Role Playing game and RPG is short for that a turn based RPG are called RPG's and thats it. Mass effect is an action RPG and people are calling it an RPG it's not the same yes it's a type of RPG but the three letter RPG are for turn based RPG's this is a fact of websites and magazines everywhere.

You played KOTOR and says that it isn't a traditional RPG?

Have you ever played RPG with people, not only on consoles/pc?
Bioware RPG's is what is most close to a real RPG.

OMG you people are blind. RPG = the term to Describe Traditional RPG's for 20 years

Action RPG= Games that Use RPG elemts with real time battles.

MMORPG = Online games with RPG elements in a masivly Multiplayer Online game.

I never said Mass effect wasn't a Role Playing Game i said it's an Action Role Playing game so no one owned me. I'm just educating you guys the theres a thre letter word for Turn Based RPg's and it's call RPG. anything else you must clarrify. 

bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bman784

yo i don't make the rules Traditional RPG's don't have a sub genre cause they were the first so there are ****fied as RPG , god why is this so hard to take in. Look up Blue Dragon and FF and other traditinal RPG's there labeled RPG's and and Mass effect is under Action RPG. RPG is a term for turn based RPG's a game just cause it has RPG elemts does not mean it's an RPG. like i said there a subgenre for them since traditional RPG's were first they are Called RPG's and a hardcore gamer like me knows this. go look on this very site Bluedragon Label RPG and other traditional rpg's also. but games they are not turnbased are called Action or MMorpg's how can i get owned if this is the truth?
peacebringer

So you're saying that Elder Scrolls Series=Action Games, Bioware RPGs=Action Games, Diablo Series=Action Games because JRPGS came first and get exclusive rights to the RPG moniker:? Bad...bad...argument...

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts

I could call Elder Scrolls : Arena a 'traditional RPG' considering that it's an older game that has spawned multiple sequels that have used the same formula.

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pundog
[QUOTE="pundog"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

You already proved my point by having to use the terms traditional and turn based RPGs. The term RPG refers to all different sub-genres, which includes turn based, action and MMO. What you're saying is like calling all football games "sports" games because they came out first and all the hockey, baseball and basketball games aren't true sports games.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19602 Posts

MagnuzGuerra

For that matter, his argument is flawed - KOTOR's combat is turn-based, played out in real-time.
As with most other Bioware RPGs, I'm almost certan that it had various autopause options, allowing you to play the game in fully turn-based mode.

Zuluking187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zuluking187
[QUOTE="MagnuzGuerra"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="peacebringer"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]Mass Effect is made by Bioware and is advertised as an RPG, which should totally convince anyone that it will have more RPG elements than Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, etc.

peacebringer

i only hav KOTOR and Jad empire right in front of me thats all. and nither is a traditional RPG. a game like FF is an RPG yes i'm not saying there no role playing in ME i'm just saying it's not a traditional RPG and it's an action RPG and my Complaint is people are calling it a RPG. Go look at Blue dragon it say Role Playing game and RPG is short for that a turn based RPG are called RPG's and thats it. Mass effect is an action RPG and people are calling it an RPG it's not the same yes it's a type of RPG but the three letter RPG are for turn based RPG's this is a fact of websites and magazines everywhere.

OMG you people are blind. RPG = the term to Describe Traditional RPG's for 20 years

Action RPG= Games that Use RPG elemts with real time battles.

MMORPG = Online games with RPG elements in a masivly Multiplayer Online game.

I never said Mass effect wasn't a Role Playing Game i said it's an Action Role Playing game so no one owned me. I'm just educating you guys the theres a thre letter word for Turn Based RPg's and it's call RPG. anything else you must clarrify. 

...and real-time rpgs are just as much rpgs as turn-based rpgs.