Why are game endings terrible this gen?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

Thread of Fable 2, Fallout 3 Halo 3, Gears of war 2, Uncharted: Drake Fortune, Killzone 2 (it was kind of cool but sucked), Resistance 2, and Bioshock. They all sucked. The worst was by far though was fable 2. That may have been the worst ending ever in a game. It was so disappointing that I immediatly enjoyed the game for most of the time and then said (wow this game sucks) and never played it again. The ending was sooo bad that even indian jones 4 can't even come close. Spoiler:

The last boss is a rock, and you think that lucien is the final boss, but actually you just shoot him and he dies. It is anticlimatic, and horrible.

-Traveller-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Traveller-
Member since 2009 • 2477 Posts

Bad endings have been littered throughout gaming, but like you say, there have been quite a few this gen. Some being outright anti-climactic. Dunno the reason though.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
All sports games endings are terrible. As for Fallout 3...Haven't beat it yet, but I have heard bad things.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Yeah seriously I can name a few Fallout 3 Crysis warhead was okish Farcry 2 wtf? Fear 2 WTF??? Mirrors Edge was just a plain stupid storyline Yeah awful endings.
Panther501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Panther501
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

How about some good ones:

MGS4

Crysis (was alright)

Resistance 2's was a pretty awesome cliffhanger

Half-Life 2 Episode 2

Portal

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i think because devs. are saying we don't care to much about story just how the graphics look.... i also think of the budge that the companies are using don't care to much about story making.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Two words:

Planned sequels.

Halo started the trend... now everyone wants in on the trilogy pie and games are suffering for it.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Two words:

Planned sequels.

Halo started the trend... now everyone wants in on the trilogy pie and games are suffering for it.

foxhound_fox

Meh..I blame hollywood with the "we leave everything open for a sequel" movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
the legendary ending to halo 3 was awesome
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

the legendary ending to halo 3 was awesome SAGE_OF_FIRE
It was pretty good, but it's not in the same class as Portal's ending :)

Rick_Henderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rick_Henderson
Member since 2006 • 998 Posts

Like people have said before me, planned sequels; developers take this as an excuse to tell incomplete stories.

IMO, the best ending this generation has been Star Wars The Force Unleashed. The lightside ending was epic and was canonical to the Star Wars movies, heck that entire game was epic. Best story of the generation IMO, with Uncharted in a close second. Super Mario Galaxy's ending was also really awesome, battling Bowser for the fate of the universe along with the epic cutscene that followed.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]the legendary ending to halo 3 was awesome JigglyWiggly_

Portal's ending was really funny, I would just listen to all the dialog in that part
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#13 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Very true. A lot of big games this gen have horrible endings. Fallout 3, GTAIV, Halo 3, KZ2.

However we have had some great endings like Mass Effect (which ended on a satisfying note yet still left itself open for a sequel) Portal, The World Ends with you.

OPuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OPuniverse
Member since 2009 • 1943 Posts
fallout 3 gave me the most WTF moment i've ever felt when finishing a game.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

However we have had some great endings like Mass Effect (which ended on a satisfying note yet still left itself open for a sequel)

SpinoRaptor24

I can't really agree with that - it felt like the game was missing its final chapter (all of Bioware's older games - particularly Neverwinter Nights - would've had the player take out the 'big bad race' at the end). Also, none of the sub-plots or side-quest chains went anywhere (Cerberus, etc.).

So, given the game's short length and unfinished storylines...I'd say that Mass Effect could've been a lot better as a complete game.

Anyway, whatever happened to standalone games being released, with complete endings?
Now developers seem to be announcing things like:

• Mass Effect trilogy
  • Assassin's Creed trilogy
  • Mirror's Edge trilogy
  • Too Human trilogy
  • Resistance (trilogy?)
  • Crysis trilogy
  • Vampyre Story trilogy+
  • Professor Layton trilogy+
  • Dragon Age: Origins (they added a subtitle later on to show that's they've already planned a sequel/franchise)
  • Others...

They're being franchised before the first game is even finished! Bah!

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts
Shadow of the Colossus is the gold standard for endings.
Avatar image for ahhahahaahhhaah
ahhahahaahhhaah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ahhahahaahhhaah
Member since 2009 • 56 Posts
Why are all the games terrible this gen? uninteresting level design lol.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
One of the main reasons is that the games are being made with sequels in mind and hence you get cliff hanger or unexplained endings
agff9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 agff9
Member since 2006 • 514 Posts
I have read in magzine that games are made with one formula and the ending is not necessary....
bobby_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobby_king
Member since 2003 • 2122 Posts

What was wrong with Halo 3's ending? :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yygn_vlH5a4

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

Maybe its just because devs dont have any expertise in story telling. There are games with fantastic stories, but they arent comparable to film and literature's best. Which is a shame, because they really could be. I think people outside of traditional videogame development need to be given significant roles when it comes to the story, then they would be better, and so would the endings.

Also, a thread liked this popped up a few weeks ago, and Im STILL surprised noone complained about Prince of Persias ending... I mean, cmon :|

HoldThePhone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HoldThePhone
Member since 2007 • 3364 Posts

Maybe its just because devs dont have any expertise in story telling. There are games with fantastic stories, but they arent comparable to film and literature's best. Which is a shame, because they really could be. I think people outside of traditional videogame development need to be given significant roles when it comes to the story, then they would be better, and so would the endings.

Also, a thread liked this popped up a few weeks ago, and Im STILL surprised noone complained about Prince of Persias ending... I mean, cmon :|

eveileb-ekam
mmm, while most games can't match good books over movies -- there are quite a few gems than can easily surpass a high quality movie or book. Planescape Torment, Shadow of the Colossus to name a couple.
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]the legendary ending to halo 3 was awesome JigglyWiggly_

It was surely a truimph :P I Also found the endings of both stalker games to be lacking.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 eveileb-ekam

[QUOTE="eveileb-ekam"]

HoldThePhone

mmm, while most games can't match good books over movies -- there are quite a few gems than can easily surpass a high quality movie or book. Planescape Torment, Shadow of the Colossus to name a couple.

I did say film and literatures best :P I think that games as a whole have the capacity to exceed movies and books and, whilst the games you mentioned are epic, there are only a few. ALL games should be comparable, rather than the often convoluted storylines and messy endings.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

What the...? I just finished Bioshock. That ending was pretty bad. Would it have been better if I saved all the little girls instead of taking all their Adam? It was also strange how there was no credits.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

What the...? I just finished Bioshock. That ending was pretty bad. Would it have been better if I saved all the little girls instead of taking all their Adam? It was also strange how there was no credits.

tubbyc
naah .. it would have been the same afaik with just a different cut scene at the end
tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

[QUOTE="tubbyc"]

naval

naah .. it would have been the same afaik with just a different cut scene at the end

I thought so. I'll go through it again at some point anyway. It felt a bit sad not rescuing the little sisters, especially when they cry after you kill their Big Daddies.:cry:

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
The game with the most satisfying ending for me this gen, was Valkyria Chronicles. The story is completely wrapped up with a strong climax (imagine that) and you actually get to see what happens to all of the characters after the game finishes. A lot of game's obviously try and leave things open for a sequel but they never bother to tie up any of the current plot threads and give a truly satisfying conclusion. The worst culprit for me, was Prince Of Persia [spoiler] You undo everything you've spent the entire game doing, WTF? :| [/spoiler]
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
[QUOTE="tubbyc"]

[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="tubbyc"]

I thought so. I'll go through it again at some point anyway. It felt a bit sad not rescuing the little sisters, especially when they cry after you kill their Big Daddies.:cry:

I personally found the good ending awesome.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Bioshock's good ending (my favorite this gen) , some parts of MGS4's, Dead Space, Gears 2 (was awesome), Mass Effect, RE5... Overall, I've been satisfied by this gen game's endings.
KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

What was wrong with Uncharted's ending?

Rhen_Var

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#32 Rhen_Var
Member since 2006 • 12422 Posts
Resistance 2, for me, had a great ending. To be honest, I loved it. MGS4, while I didn't understand most of it, closed most of the questions so I could consider that a good ending. Bad Company was fairly unexpected but enjoyed. I'm amazed they're making a sequel to an ending like that, those guys are some greedy dudes.
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eveileb-ekam

The game with the most satisfying ending for me this gen, was Valkyria Chronicles. The story is completely wrapped up with a strong climax (imagine that) and you actually get to see what happens to all of the characters after the game finishes. A lot of game's obviously try and leave things open for a sequel but they never bother to tie up any of the current plot threads and give a truly satisfying conclusion. The worst culprit for me, was Prince Of Persia [spoiler] You undo everything you've spent the entire game doing, WTF? :| [/spoiler] Silent-Hal

Thank you! PoP generally gets left out of these threads, and I really dont know why. That ending made me want to rip my TV off my wall and hurl it out the window.

The bloody epilogue did nothing, either, except make it abundantly clear that there are going to be sequels.

Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts

What was wrong with Uncharted's ending?

KG86
yeah what the hell was wrong with uncharted's ending. no cliffhangers, just a funny, satisfying ending.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#35 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

a combination of planned sequals, and Online gaming becoming more central to a game, when they focus on the online too much, they start to neglect the single player, which includes endings

sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

Halo 3 and R2 had good ending, the worst endings were probably RSV 1 and 2 endings

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Thread of Fable 2, Fallout 3 Halo 3, Gears of war 2, Uncharted: Drake Fortune, Killzone 2 (it was kind of cool but sucked), Resistance 2, and Bioshock. They all sucked. The worst was by far though was fable 2. That may have been the worst ending ever in a game. It was so disappointing that I immediatly enjoyed the game for most of the time and then said (wow this game sucks) and never played it again. The ending was sooo bad that even indian jones 4 can't even come close. Spoiler:

The last boss is a rock, and you think that lucien is the final boss, but actually you just shoot him and he dies. It is anticlimatic, and horrible.

nhh18
Well that's mostly because Fable 2 isn't over yet, expansions (other then knothole island) are coming and will expand the story.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus is the gold standard for endings.HoldThePhone

Agreed, and well said.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
I just came back from finishing Crysis 10 minutes ago (beat the game 4 times now!). Yeah, the ending is a crappy, vague cliff-hanger and I have been waiting for a sequel for a while, but who knows when Crysis 2 will be out?
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

:? Halo 3's wasn't that bad at all imo. You should replace it with Far Cry 2 or Prince of Persia...

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

What was wrong with Halo 3's ending? :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yygn_vlH5a4

bobby_king
:D It still gives me shivers down my back.
Ek-Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ek-Andy
Member since 2006 • 1930 Posts

Most games have allways had terrible endings, this gen and others. Though there have been way to many cliff hangers this gen.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Geow 2 ending sucked pretty bad,although Star Wars TFU probably has the worst ending ever since I knew what the ending was gonna be after playing the game for 15 min I was like "gee I bet...." then beat the game and BAM was right....

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
If the topic was changed to "List popular games", I don't think any one would notice.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#45 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Resident Evil 5 didn't have a good ending. I expected better but other games are probably because of sequel being planned like Bioshock,Mass Effect,Assasins Creed and a few others.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
If the topic was changed to "List popular games", I don't think any one would notice.II-FBIsniper-II
LMAO so true!
Avatar image for MikeTyson984326
MikeTyson984326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MikeTyson984326
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
MGSIV
BigDaddy375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BigDaddy375
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I liked Bioshock, the story was epic, the ending good have been a bit better, but overall it was awesome.
g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

I seriously expected more from RE5
Such a big game but with 10 second ending.

MGS4 was just amazing, too amazing, that i wanted more.
So i dont know if i consider it good or bad lol.

Dead Space was baaaad. Just so sudden and your thinking..
all the hard work and horror and staying alive for isaacs girl friend.
But theyre making another game and a movie was released so it makes up for it.

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

MGS4.

Not only was the the main story boring with way too many cut scenes.. the ending sucked and it has crap multiplayer.

How the hell did it get a 10!