Who Won't Play MMO's?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

I for one won't. I decided a long time ago that paying for a game is one thing, but paying for a game month after month is rediculous. I can't imagine myself saying, yep car payment done, high speed internet paid, house payment ok, electric and heating done, water bill...oh and MMO bill. Imagine when there will be more than one you want to play out at the same time. That is $15 a month times 3, already $45 a month, for something you already paid for. I refuse to play MMO's, anyone else with me? 

OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OceanLeet
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts
You just have to find one that 'clicks' for you personally.  Anarchy Online was for me.  I never could get into WOW.  I play AO to this day and love it.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
There are free MMOs, but those suck
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
MMO's are boring. All they focus on is socializing in a fictional/fantasy atmosphere where anyone can be whomever they please. The gameplay of most MMORPGs is the same and utterly mind numbing. Level, quest for items, level some more, quest for more items. I like having a goal when playing something, like transversing a intriguing story with interesting characters.

Until they make a (good) MMOWWIIFPS I will steer clear of anything that has MMO in the title.
subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts
I don't really care. I played the original EQ, AQ, AQ2, then EQ2, and finally WOW. I stopped that after getting banned 6 months ago. If a game is good, I will play it.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
I won't play MMO titles and it has absolutely nothing to do with them being pay to play titles. MMO titles are so fundamentally flawed to me that I just wouldn't play any of them at this time.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

MMORPG private servers FTW

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
Depends on the pricing. I quit WoW after my free trial was up simply because I couldn't justify paying that much extra for a game that I really didn't like that much. But if a game like Huxley is able to keep the monthly fees low (and it better considering I'm already dropping $60 a month on XBL) I'll definitely check it out.
OceanLeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OceanLeet
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts
Anarchy Online's classic  is totally free.  It's the version I play.  I used to pay per month for the Shadowlands expansion, but got sick of the bugs.  AO is a very buggy game.  But the classic version is free, so I'm good to go :)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Anarchy Online's classic is totally free. It's the version I play. I used to pay per month for the Shadowlands expansion, but got sick of the bugs. AO is a very buggy game. But the classic version is free, so I'm good to go :)OceanLeet

I actually found AO to be somewhat intriguing. The whole Omni-Tek vs. the Clans war... I never really got into any kind of battle though... I also never really did any teaming up. I guess I am one of those people that prefers to play by myself. AO was pretty good, for a MMORPG. Unique too.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

So much hate for MMOs...

:(

WiiForAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WiiForAll
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts
No one important has time to sit in front of their computer screens all day and yuck it up online with fake people controlling wizard and dwarf avatars. All the cool people are playing their Wiis with friends and getting tail from several fine ladies a day. Don't you want to be cool and get tail from several fine ladies a day? You do? Then stop wasting your time on MMOs and get in on the Wiivolution. I used to play MXO and I currently play WoW every once in a while.
BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 BenTheJamin
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts
personally i dont mind paying month after month, because i dont spend money on a new game every month its actually cheaper
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
if thats your only reason, then try guild wars. it has no monthly fees at all. i didnt think it was that great, but most sites gave it AAA and a few gave it pc goty.
MaxxxReebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MaxxxReebo
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts
I thought the same things... but I gave FF XI a shot and I'm hooked. Sure, I'm spending 13 bucks a month, but you know what? I feel I'm getting my money's worth, and THAT'S the important thing.
kholdstare61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 kholdstare61
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts
I'll play MMOs, but I usually lose interest fast.  I played WoW for about two days then I realized how I'd rather be doing something else.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Redmoonxl2

if thats your only reason, then try guild wars. it has no monthly fees at all. i didnt think it was that great, but most sites gave it AAA and a few gave it pc goty. LoG-Sacrament

Guild Wars is a boring Diablo clone in my view. The PvP aspect is fairly decent but the Quest side of the game is just...so...boring...

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I don't play them. Not because I have something against them or I'm on some crusade like you...I just find them really dull.

Make a charater, go out, attack, attack, attack, attack, attack, attack, monster dies, get gold and exp, go to town, buy stuff, go out side, attack, attack, attack,....zzzz....zzzzz 

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I will at least try a couple of console mmo's if only because I want to try Huxley and the Marvel or DC mmo's slated to be out.......someday? The money arguement does not hold water because if you ever find one you really like, you quit playing everything else anyway for months on end and it actually saves you money. 12 months x $15 = $180,  or 1 game every other month = 6 games x $50 = $300. Granted I'm taking some libertys with numbers just to use as an example but you can move them around however you want and mmo's are still not very expensive.  
CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts
SCREW MMOs. I don't want to pay to be a slave.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LoG-Sacrament

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]if thats your only reason, then try guild wars. it has no monthly fees at all. i didnt think it was that great, but most sites gave it AAA and a few gave it pc goty. Redmoonxl2

Guild Wars is a boring Diablo clone in my view. The PvP aspect is fairly decent but the Quest side of the game is just...so...boring...

i tend to think that about most western rpg's, which is probably why i didnt take to guild wars so much. but atleast it broke the tradition mmorpg mold. ill give it credit for that. still, our views are in the minority about this game.
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts

I for one won't. I decided a long time ago that paying for a game is one thing, but paying for a game month after month is rediculous. I can't imagine myself saying, yep car payment done, high speed internet paid, house payment ok, electric and heating done, water bill...oh and MMO bill. Imagine when there will be more than one you want to play out at the same time. That is $15 a month times 3, already $45 a month, for something you already paid for. I refuse to play MMO's, anyone else with me?

seabiscuit8686
I have tried to like MMOs, but they are glorified chat rooms with mediocre combat. I tried WoW using the 10-day free trial. It's supposed to be addictive, but I didn't care for it.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
No one important has time to sit in front of their computer screens all day and yuck it up online with fake people controlling wizard and dwarf avatars. All the cool people are playing their Wiis with friends and getting tail from several fine ladies a day. Don't you want to be cool and get tail from several fine ladies a day? You do? Then stop wasting your time on MMOs and get in on the Wiivolution. I used to play MXO and I currently play WoW every once in a while.WiiForAll
lol, nice work.
Kakarot00769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kakarot00769
Member since 2004 • 9306 Posts

I won't play MMO titles and it has absolutely nothing to do with them being pay to play titles. MMO titles are so fundamentally flawed to me that I just wouldn't play any of them at this time.-RPGamer-

you are missing out on 1 of the greatest games of all time

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]if thats your only reason, then try guild wars. it has no monthly fees at all. i didnt think it was that great, but most sites gave it AAA and a few gave it pc goty. LoG-Sacrament

i tend to think that about most western rpg's, which is probably why i didnt take to guild wars so much. but atleast it broke the tradition mmorpg mold. ill give it credit for that. still, our views are in the minority about this game.

Actually, our views are in the majority when it comes to Guild Wars. People don't play Guild Wars to kill dragons with buddies. It's strictly a competitive based game and that's what Guild Wars is popular for.

Also, there is a misconception that Guild Wars is a MMO while it's not. In order for Guild Wars to be considered an MMO, the game must be in a persistent world inhabited by NPCs and PCs alike. The fact is that Guild Wars uses a lobby system for it's socialization like most online game. Just about every other part of the Guild Wars' world are instances reserved for your party.

Also, if you think that most western RPGs are boring Diablo clones, you really need to play more WRPGs.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

SCREW MMOs. I don't want to pay to be a slave.CPM_basic

private servers = no p2p = excellent =//= mmo slave

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]if thats your only reason, then try guild wars. it has no monthly fees at all. i didnt think it was that great, but most sites gave it AAA and a few gave it pc goty. Redmoonxl2

Actually, our views are in the majority when it comes to Guild Wars. People don't play Guild Wars to kill dragons with buddies. It's strictly a competitive based game and that's what Guild Wars is popular for.

Also, there is a misconception that Guild Wars is a MMO while it's not. In order for Guild Wars to be considered an MMO, the game must be in a persistent world inhabited by NPCs and PCs alike. The fact is that Guild Wars uses a lobby system for it's socialization like most online game. Just about every other part of the Guild Wars' world are instances reserved for your party.

Also, if you think that most western RPGs are boring Diablo clones, you really need to play more WRPGs.

its not so much that i think they are diablo clones, as it is that i think they are boring. without lvling playing a major role in battle(getting more powerful compaired to enemies), it just doesnt give me any sense of accomplishment.
-Sora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Sora
Member since 2004 • 15152 Posts
im never playing any MMO. It has to be your second life if you want the powerful items
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Redmoonxl2

its not so much that i think they are diablo clones, as it is that i think they are boring. without lvling playing a major role in battle(getting more powerful compaired to enemies), it just doesnt give me any sense of accomplishment.LoG-Sacrament

How is that different from a JRPG? 

16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
Paying for something I've already paid for monthly is ridiculous. Might as well give out free copies of WoW if you're going to charge $12 a month.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LoG-Sacrament

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]its not so much that i think they are diablo clones, as it is that i think they are boring. without lvling playing a major role in battle(getting more powerful compaired to enemies), it just doesnt give me any sense of accomplishment.Redmoonxl2

in jrpg's, as you level, you become powerful but the enemies dont. you can see the accomplishments you have made as you go. and the better jrpg's will have just as much character stat customization as wrpgs. not to mention too many wrpg's are mixing with the shooter genre(imo anyway, some people like it).
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Redmoonxl2

Paying for something I've already paid for monthly is ridiculous. Might as well give out free copies of WoW if you're going to charge $12 a month.16bitkevin

No fee = No server maintenance, new content, more abuse within the game, less features, a completely different gameplay model, yata yata.

a-tek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 a-tek
Member since 2005 • 945 Posts
Who wouldn't play MMO's? People without internet. I'll go ahead and speak for them since they're obviously not here. :P
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]its not so much that i think they are diablo clones, as it is that i think they are boring. without lvling playing a major role in battle(getting more powerful compaired to enemies), it just doesnt give me any sense of accomplishment.LoG-Sacrament

in jrpg's, as you level, you become powerful but the enemies dont. you can see the accomplishments you have made as you go. and the better jrpg's will have just as much character stat customization as wrpgs. not to mention too many wrpg's are mixing with the shooter genre(imo anyway, some people like it).

Oh come on, that's a pretty lame excuse to hold anything against a WRPG. Plus there are plenty of accomplishments in WRPGs in the form of abilities, items and progression in story, just like a JRPG. The major difference is that WRPGs focus more on customization than JRPGs.

Big_T-Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Big_T-Mac
Member since 2005 • 6973 Posts
i'll play one as soon as one actually interests me, and not just dungeons and dragons fans.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Redmoonxl2

i'll play one as soon as one actually interests me, and not just dungeons and dragons fans.Big_T-Mac

Like WoW? :D 

Dungeon and Dragons fans see WoW as more of a parody of the fantasy genre. Highend fantasy/DnD style is more like Everquest and Vanguard. 

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]its not so much that i think they are diablo clones, as it is that i think they are boring. without lvling playing a major role in battle(getting more powerful compaired to enemies), it just doesnt give me any sense of accomplishment.Redmoonxl2

Oh come on, that's a pretty lame excuse to hold anything against a WRPG. Plus there are plenty of accomplishments in WRPGs in the form of abilities, items and progression in story, just like a JRPG. The major difference is that WRPGs focus more on customization than JRPGs.

jrpg's have all those(minus customization of physical appearance). what can i say? we all have our own tastes. im not saying wrpg's are bad games. they have features that appeal to many OTHER people.
InfamousC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 InfamousC
Member since 2006 • 2389 Posts
If you find a good one they can be fun. I think I may try Age Of Conan when it comes later this year.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts

seabiscuit8686
obviously you don't know how this works. you don't usually play more than one MMO at a time, because it's hard to find time for even one. they're time monsters. still, i don't play for pay mmo's because i haven't found one i deem worthy of hundreds of my dollars and hours per year.
DilutedDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DilutedDante
Member since 2004 • 1633 Posts

Paying for something I've already paid for monthly is ridiculous. Might as well give out free copies of WoW if you're going to charge $12 a month.16bitkevin

I know, because constant development and server maintainence doesn't cost anything, not to mention the years of development on the game in the first place. The developers did it in their spare time, just for a laugh. 

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
I'll only play free mmo's. Having to pay each month just to keep on playing the same game is really stupid yet a good way for devs to get money.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Redmoonxl2

I'll only play free mmo's. Having to pay each month just to keep on playing the same game is really stupid yet a good way for devs to get money.kage_53

"No fee = No server maintenance, new content, more abuse within the game, less features, a completely different gameplay model, yata yata."

Happen to notice that those free MMOs you play tend to be lacking depth, buggy, lacking decent support from the developer and are very simplistic in design. They are free for a reason...because they tend to suck.

DilutedDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DilutedDante
Member since 2004 • 1633 Posts

I'll only play free mmo's. Having to pay each month just to keep on playing the same game is really stupid yet a good way for devs to get money.kage_53

How is it stupid? And it isn't "a good way for devs to get money." Final Fantasy XI was assumed profitable over a 5 year period, meaning SE only started making money on it last year.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kage_53

[QUOTE="kage_53"]I'll only play free mmo's. Having to pay each month just to keep on playing the same game is really stupid yet a good way for devs to get money.Redmoonxl2

"No fee = No server maintenance, new content, more abuse within the game, less features, a completely different gameplay model, yata yata."

Happen to notice that those free MMOs you play tend to be lacking depth, buggy, lacking decent support from the developer and are very simplistic in design. They are free for a reason...because they tend to suck.

What about Guild Wars?
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="kage_53"]I'll only play free mmo's. Having to pay each month just to keep on playing the same game is really stupid yet a good way for devs to get money.kage_53

What about Guild Wars?

Guild Wars is not a MMO. Also, you pay by way of buying new expansion packs several times a year to be competitive in PvP, Guild War's focus. And finally, NCSoft makes money on the side by way of microtransactions.

**Edited to remove the last line. Figure that was overly harsh and unneeded.**

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kage_53

[QUOTE="kage_53"]I'll only play free mmo's. Having to pay each month just to keep on playing the same game is really stupid yet a good way for devs to get money.DilutedDante

How is it stupid? And it isn't "a good way for devs to get money." Final Fantasy XI was assumed profitable over a 5 year period, meaning SE only started making money on it last year.

Its stupid because you are forced to pay each month just to play the game. FF11 didn't really have a decent amount of units sold. Not many people play FF11 and consider it a bad mmo.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="DilutedDante"]

[QUOTE="kage_53"]I'll only play free mmo's. Having to pay each month just to keep on playing the same game is really stupid yet a good way for devs to get money.kage_53

Its stupid because you are forced to pay each month just to play the game.

I just explained why a fee is needed, regardless of people's views on FFXI.

zombiemenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zombiemenace
Member since 2007 • 1026 Posts
Mmo's take way too much time. Way more than standard games. That why I don't play them
seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

I don't play them. Not because I have something against them or I'm on some crusade like you...I just find them really dull.

Make a charater, go out, attack, attack, attack, attack, attack, attack, monster dies, get gold and exp, go to town, buy stuff, go out side, attack, attack, attack,....zzzz....zzzzz

goblaa
just an fyi, im not on a crusade...and i love how your sig changes with the seasons...good stuff
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
I will try EQIII, when it is eventually announced, if it makes it to ps3. And I am looking forward to Conan, but I can't dedicate hours and hours a day to any single game anymore. I liked how EQII allowed for short bursts of play, and wasn't as reliant on needing others to get by.